[REMOVE ADS]

Ain't No Sun [[Since You Been Gone) ??

I know that some non-Motown acts cut this Jobete song in true 60's Motown style .... for instance ...

AND ... jumping across the pond ....

But the in-house versions were not true mid 60's Motown style takes IMHO ...

I suppose that the Temptations version comes the closest [[of the released versions) ...

But it has to have been cut by other Motown acts ... but which ones ... I'd love to hear a version by say the Isley Brothers [[guess one doesn't exist) or by Tammi Terrell, the Spinners, Kim Weston, the Contours or even Brenda Holloway.
    Did any of those acts have a stab at the song ??

Chuck Jackson, Rare Earth, The Supremes, The Undisputed Truth. Gladys Knight & The Pips recorded 2 versions. The one that I like is the 1967 version from the "Everybody Needs Love" LP.

I love this song! It's one of these excellent and oft-recorded Norman Whitfield compositions [[co-written with Cornelius Grant and Sylvia Moy). My favourite versions are by Chuck Jackson, The Temptations and The Undisputed Truth!!

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    But it has to have been cut by other Motown acts ... but which ones ... I'd love to hear a version by say the Isley Brothers [[guess one doesn't exist) or by Tammi Terrell, the Spinners, Kim Weston, the Contours or even Brenda Holloway.
    Did any of those acts have a stab at the song ??
    Hmm, good question, jsmith. All of the existing versions of "Aint No Sun" were produced by Norman Whitfield; Norman produced it on most of the acts he was working with at the time [[The Temptations, Chuck Jackson, Gladys Knight & The Pips, and later The Undisputed Truth) so if more versions exist they're probably more likely to be by Marvin Gaye or Jimmy Ruffin.

I believe Norman produced but one song each on Tammi Terrell, Carolyn Crawford, The Spinners and The Contours, and two for The Isley Brothers, so versions by those acts are probably more unlikely. But of course Norman did do a version of "Aint No Sun" with The Supremes [[a rare collaboration!) so I guess anything's possible!!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-10-2017 at 05:37 AM.

I've never tired of the Tempts' version, one of the standout tracks on the standout With A Lot O Soul album. It's among the many tracks cut by the group that could easily have been an A side.
    I'd never heard Dusty's version before, interestingly arranged by John Paul Jones, soon to launch his more visible career in Led Zeppelin.

Don't forget this version by the Originals [[not the Motown group) whose version is very close to the Temps version, as pointed out on another thread here.

I believe the lead singer is a chap called Tom Baker, and the group hailed from Cleveland.

It sounds to me like it could be various members of the Funk Brothers on this version, as the track has their feel to it, and the fact that the arrangement is so close to the Temps version.

I did a quick search the other day on this group and the label [[Suspension), but couldn't find much info at all, other than what I posted above.

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 05-10-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Tom Baker was a Cleveland based writer / producer back in the 60's ... he worked with the likes of Lou Ragland, Terry Knight, etc.
    He relocated to LA around 1980 and by the mid 80's was remastering loads of old Motown tracks @ Future Disc studios.

I've listened to some of those other versions & really like the Chuck Jackson version ... this was actually released on a 7" single in Argentina back in the day ...

I've listened to some of those other versions & really like the Chuck Jackson version ... this was actually released on a 7" single in Argentina back in the day ...
    For me, once I heard this version it's hard to go back to The Tempts' because Chuck's is notably faster and, IMO, slightly better! I also love The Undisputed Truth's 1971 rendition, which is, in typical Norman Whitfield style, significantly different from all the other versions!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=USM4-XtCrBk

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Here's the man..great video of ANSSYBG

Here's the man..great video of ANSSYBG
    Oh yes, snakepit, Chuck's performance is so good it sounds like the studio recording!!! I thought it was lip-synced when I first saw it but, nope, it's most definitely live!

I also love Chuck's version of The Temptations "Lonely, Lonely Man Am I" [[more than The Tempts' original actually) and here is a live [[and fantastic!) performance of it from the same show: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vUaSLa1breA

Chuck's 3 Motown LPs are, for me, pound for pound, the best 3 albums from any artist
    Of Motown's classic period.

Chuck's 3 Motown LPs are, for me, pound for pound, the best 3 albums from any artist
    Of Motown's classic period.
    Wow, snakepit, that's quite a claim!!! I haven't listened to all of them properly/fully yet but I really like his Motown debut Chuck Jackson Arrives, with productions from Norman Whitfield and Ivy Jo Hunter. Just love "To See The Sun Again"...!

Try them...if you like Arrives then you won't be disappointed. Are you familiar with his Wand recordings?
    There are many great tunes...New York early 60s soul....some great dancers, some wonderful ballads. This is my favourite..
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t8iAJVKBWH8

A Northern Soul oldie...70's magic...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2pz53qRuCXM

Tom Baker was a Cleveland based writer / producer back in the 60's ... he worked with the likes of Lou Ragland, Terry Knight, etc.
    He relocated to LA around 1980 and by the mid 80's was remastering loads of old Motown tracks @ Future Disc studios.
    Thanks for the additional info.

I had read also that he relocated to Detroit in the early 70s.

And I wondered if it was the same Tom Baker that mastered some of those early Motown CDs!

Cheers

Paul

Great NS oldie..with cool video too..
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6cnw9JJNM8

Try them...if you like Arrives then you won't be disappointed. Are you familiar with his Wand recordings?
    No, not at all, really! I will have to check them out.

I have listened to "I Only Get This Feeling" before and loved it! I'll give it another listen along with these other ones.

Thanks snakepit!

I'm told by a guy who used to be on the Cleveland recording / club scene that the Originals on Suspension were white guys, made up of some ex members of the Outsiders + Tom Baker himself.
    They played the local clubs at the time; places described as 'greaser clubs' -- the Americana [[Euclid Ave, near Playhouse Square), the Orbit Lounge [[on Willoughby - a major club in Cleveland's eastern suburbs) & similar.
    Last edited by jsmith; 05-12-2017 at 05:02 AM.

Here's Dusty performing the song...

There are many great tunes...New York early 60s soul....some great dancers, some wonderful ballads. This is my favourite..
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t8iAJVKBWH8
    snakepit first time I've heard that Chuck Jaskson track love it.
    Personally my favourite version of 'Ain't No Sun' is The Temps, but I'm probably biased as I love all The Temps albums singles.

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    snakepit first time I've heard that Chuck Jaskson track love it.
    Wow, such a dramatic ballad!! Great

Were all the audience in a school detention class?

How did Chuck put so much effort into performing in front of a load of wet lettuce?

Lol.
    They were probably bussed in...with a free hot dog on offer.
    Doubt if any of them had heard of Chuck Jackson

Here's Gladys and The Pips performing the song...

heres an unusual one... the Profonix on Davey Paul..is this a Detroit Group...never heard anything else by them...also how did Holland Dozier Holland get the writing credit?

https://youtu.be/5ZJb2uZRfE8

Quote Originally Posted by platters81 View Post
    heres an unusual one... the Profonix on Davey Paul..is this a Detroit Group...never heard anything else by them...also how did Holland Dozier Holland get the writing credit?

https://youtu.be/5ZJb2uZRfE8
    aha...its a Johnny Powers project..they also recorded on Sidra..must be Detroit.isnt Johnny still going

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    For me, once I heard this version it's hard to go back to The Tempts' because Chuck's is notably faster and, IMO, slightly better! I also love The Undisputed Truth's 1971 rendition, which is, in typical Norman Whitfield style, significantly different from all the other versions!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=USM4-XtCrBk
    Tomtom if you like Chuck check this song from him,he is my number one soul singer i have everything and more by him,he;s the best give this a try https://youtu.be/bbutqHuzOAg

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Tomtom if you like Chuck check this song from him,he is my number one soul singer i have everything and more by him,he;s the best give this a try https://youtu.be/bbutqHuzOAg
    Ah, great to hear, honest man. Chuck is so talented, and a real class act!!

And I will give that song a go and get back you in a bit!