[REMOVE ADS]

"You Danced My Heart Around the Stars" Mary Wilson

This is just lovely and boy does Mary sell it--wonderful performance Id never seen. Im wondering if she was still under contract to Motown at the time? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mypa4...eature=feedlik

To, this was one of her best songs of the early 80's! Yes she was still under contract to Motown at that time. They were allegedly pissed that she went and got her own outside producer Gus Dudgeon. The tracks she cut with him were excellent. I think there may have been more to the story however.

topdiva1 Guest
    Brillant - Mary Wilson is just the best, despite all she has been through - [[I read both her books) she has landed on her feet - WITHOUT - the assistance of The Motown Machine. She is doing well it seems, and will continue to look well and do well.

Love me some Miss Mary Wilson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

I've always liked this song.......

Marv-do you know what show this was on?

topdiva1 Guest
    How fabulous she sounds and looks - so elegant - and yet selling what appears to be, for her, an emotional heart felt song. This could have been a major hit - Motown should have jumped on this - But would Ross have jumped on Motown.

What a company that must have been. Worse than AVON.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Yes! It was from a program called "Black Stage".

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    How fabulous she sounds and looks - so elegant - and yet selling what appears to be, for her, an emotional heart felt song. This could have been a major hit - Motown should have jumped on this - But would Ross have jumped on Motown.

Ah, hehehehehehehe......!!!!

smark21 Guest
    Good song and Mary sings and performs it well. A shame it never got a proper release.

Thank you Luke and Marv2 for that wonderful video of Mary Wilson singing. I have heard that song before and like smark 21 says she does a very good job. I wish that song would've been played more back then.

HaHaHa at the AVON joke. It's hard work but it pays.

Not sure what the AVON joke is about and suspect it is something us Brits wouldn't know about

I think it was in Music Week that they used to talk about what was going on in the recording studios in London. From that, I read that.....this song was one of 4 [[and they listed the tracks) that Gus Dudgeon was working on with MARY WILSON. The song originated during the solo Mary Wilson era but hadn't been released commercially by Motown. Mary had brought the 4 songs to Gus Dudgeon and they were being lined up for release on the UK label, Rocket records [[the one connected with Elton John). But it didn't happen.

Hearsay [[thank Judge Judy for that word) says that Motown were not happy with any of the tracks. They had already been looking hard at their roster believing it was the reason why they were not getting the hits of yesterday. Marvin and Stevie were more than simply artists and there was no question on their postions. Mary didn't have as much going for her since she needed direction but, more importantly, further resources in the form of writers, producers etc. But Motown tried not to be too bitter about it, after all, Mary had served them well over the years. So they agreed to let Mary shop around with the tracks to see what she could do. The likelihood of them being released on Motown was not good but it wasn't a definite NO either.

Hasn't it been stated previously, that those 4 tracks were found in the Motown Vault too. I know PJ or Reese will remember where it was!

This is hard to say but had I been asked to vote, as an accountant, I would have voted to let her go. You can hate on me, that's fine. I would have wanted and pushed for some others to be let go first but I suspect Gordy family ties elsewhere were more dominating and "family always comes first.

Nevertheless, it seems to have been a good move for Mary. She upped her game as a result and found her niche. It couldn't have been easy for her and I suspect she has worked real hard for the rewards that she has had...and had to put up with a lot of "unpleasantness" along the way too.
    Last edited by theboyfromxtown; 01-20-2011 at 07:06 AM.

Thanks boy and you make a lot of sense. I think Gus had a great touch with her. And perhaps Neil Bogart would also have worked well with Mary per the almost record deal with him. I think he wanted to move her more in a Donna Summer direction.

Not to answer for Marv, but it seems Mary performed a few other songs on the same show. I recall seeing a similar clip of her singing a song in a TCB "swirl" dress. Don't remember which song it was though.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Not to answer for Marv, but it seems Mary performed a few other songs on the same show. I recall seeing a similar clip of her singing a song in a TCB "swirl" dress. Don't remember which song it was though.
    I think it was GREEN RIVER.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    She also performed "Green River", "Love Talk" and "Save Me" on the program that I saw.

Great songs--someone should put out a compilation of her best stuff--what was that dance song she did that was great-a demo for Atlantic I think.

Great songs--someone should put out a compilation of her best stuff--what was that dance song she did that was great-a demo for Atlantic I think.

It was called "THE ONE THAT I LOVE"! and I loved that record! Played it to death one summer in Boston.

Thanks-hmmm-I think I was thinking of a different one-is that the full title?

Thanks-hmmm-I think I was thinking of a different one-is that the full title?

Some have called it "Push Has Come to Shoving...." with is repeated throughot the song. It was a JAM!

Should have been incorporated into a movie.

good one,i'm wondering when the penny will drop!

I've never heard or seen this song before - and Mary's performance is brilliant.

Mary always gives her best in performances, and I'm looking forward to her performing over here in March.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    good one,i'm wondering when the penny will drop!

Me too - penny wise = pound foolish!!!!!!!!!!

Me too - penny wise = pound foolish!!!!!!!!!!
    Pennies? I'm talking nickels here........LOL!

Marv-Im surprised at you-lol--this is the one I meant=love it!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EKWjTtHCqA

Marv-Im surprised at you-lol--this is the one I meant=love it!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EKWjTtHCqA

Ok, "eye-sorry", hehehehehe! Oh you meant "My Lovelife Is A Disaster"! That was a very good one. Peter Stringfellow famed nightclub owner [[ Stringfellows, 10's etc, etc) produced that one on Mary for his label Stringfellow Records. I don't know what happened but it was not released. However, Mary use to open her shows singing it back around 1986-87. Good song.

Can you dig up that other one you mentioned?

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Ok, "eye-sorry", hehehehehe! Oh you meant "My Lovelife Is A Disaster"! That was a very good one. Peter Stringfellow famed nightclub owner [[ Stringfellows, 10's etc, etc) produced that one on Mary for his label Stringfellow Records. I don't know what happened but it was not released. However, Mary use to open her shows singing it back around 1986-87. Good song.
    I heard that song and I did not think it suited her voice. Mary is a torch song singer, not CHAKA KHAN. So- so song, but not a good choice for La Diva Wilson.

Can you dig up that other one you mentioned?
    I have it on CD, but it is not online and unfortunately, I cannot upload it at this time.

Lovelife live is much better than the recording. Danced My Heart I must say is her best performance just under I am Changing.