[REMOVE ADS]

Monique goes off on lee daniels , tyler perry & oprah winfrey

She goes off on a rant. Is it career suicide or speaking her truth?

This rant goes back to 2015 when Monique wouldn't so called "play the game"

She is telling the truth!

What did Oprah do? I know she's a benefactor of Lee Daniels, but how did she blackball Monique?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    What did Oprah do? I know she's a benefactor of Lee Daniels, but how did she blackball Monique?
    Oprah was involved with the film "Precious" in which Mo'nique won an Oscar. Here I'll let Mo' tell you herself......

Yes, but has Oprah produced movies that excluded her since then? The only cinematic production for Oprah since "Precious" was "Selma" and I don't know if Mo'Nique was excluded from a role in that film. Or does she want her to produce movies for her? I understand that she's pissed, but Daniels can only do what his producers and benefactors let him do. She said that the Fox insisted on Taraji P. Hinson for "Empire" and wouldn't let her read for it. If that was their deal breaker, that's out of Daniels' hands, in my opinion. Unless she thinks that he should forsake his career for hers.

Hollywood is racist as f*ck, we all know that. But they make only two or three significant productions about Black people per year and Mo'Nique is not a bankable star. Of course she should be paid commensurate to her status, but I don't know what that rate of pay is. I doubt Tyler Perry pays anybody a lot of loot to star in his movies and I know Oprah doesn't have a high output of movies. I'm not suggesting that she doesn't have a grievance, but I think that she's blasting people for the wrong reasons.

Yes, but has Oprah produced movies that excluded her since then? The only cinematic production for Oprah since "Precious" was "Selma" and I don't know if Mo'Nique was excluded from a role in that film. Or does she want her to produce movies for her? I understand that she's pissed, but Daniels can only do what his producers and benefactors let him do. She said that the Fox insisted on Taraji P. Hinson for "Empire" and wouldn't let her read for it. If that was their deal breaker, that's out of Daniels' hands, in my opinion. Unless she thinks that he should forsake his career for hers.

Hollywood is racist as f*ck, we all know that. But they make only two or three significant productions about Black people per year and Mo'Nique is not a bankable star. Of course she should be paid commensurate to her status, but I don't know what that rate of pay is. I doubt Tyler Perry pays anybody a lot of loot to star in his movies and I know Oprah doesn't have a high output of movies. I'm not suggesting that she doesn't have a grievance, but I think that she's blasting people for the wrong reasons.
    She is an Academy Award Winning Actress and has not been seen in any big budget films since she won back in 2009! She was only paid $50,000 for the film "Precious". After she won the Oscar she was offered another film and they wanted to pay her less than $200,000. Now what actress do you know that has won the Oscar gets that low-balled? Lee Daniels, Oprah or Tyler Perry could have went to bat for her, but Daniels goes on CNN and tells the World that Mo'nique has been black balled in Hollywood.

I hear you marv,but my question is this..other than denzel[who at the head of the food chain]it seems that some of our few but recent oscar winners haven't been burning up the screen with quality,what has our girl[halle berry]done since winning or our buddy[jamie fox]?is it that they can't get top roles after winning or do they take what's offered to keep busy?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I hear you marv,but my question is this..other than denzel[who at the head of the food chain]it seems that some of our few but recent oscar winners haven't been burning up the screen with quality,what has our girl[halle berry]done since winning or our buddy[jamie fox]?is it that they can't get top roles after winning or do they take what's offered to keep busy?
    JAI point taken, but with Mo'nique, they didn't even give her ANY opportunities to star in feature film or to make money with her excellent acting talents. Why? She tells us why, but I believe it goes much deeper than that just considering those other great actors you mentioned. Shit ain't fair!

There's more to this. I watched several videos after seeing the ones above. My only question for her [[and anybody else) is what roles would she play that will pay her millions of dollars? If I see Denzel Washington on a marquee, I want to see the movie. Will Smith and Halle Berry, too. Shoot, Alfre Woodard, Anthony Mackie, Michael B. Jordan, or Viola Davis are draws for me. Mo'Nique? No disrespect, but is she going to put butts in seats just because she is in the movie?

Black actors definitely get treated wrong in Hollywood. Denzel, Tyler Perry, and Will Smith are literally the only ones who call their own shots as stars and producers. Everybody else is at the mercy of the people with the loot. It is BS that Forest Whitaker, Halle Berry, Cuba Gooding, Jr., Whoopi, and Jaime Foxx haven't had opportunities that they deserve after winning. Each has not only drawn critical acclaim, but also box office success. But they can fairly put the whole industry on blast. Public Enemy had it right when they sang "Burn Hollywood Burn".

Mo'Nique had a starring turn and wasn't willing to play the game. Good for her. But I never think it's right to suggest that other pawns should play the game for you. Oprah, Tyler, and Daniels don't owe her anything and after her tirade, probably forgot she exists. There is a reason why she has been shut out; if she made powerful enemies, then she is not cut out for film. It's too hard as it is. If you don't play the game according to the rules, fair or not, the game plays you.

She overplayed her hand and made a bad situation worse.

After the phenomenal job Mo'nique did in "Precious" where she was only paid $50,000 I think she deserves more and better. I would go see her in a heartbeat and I don't even go to the movies that much anymore. But to have the three stooges and that's what I think of them to go around and bad mouth you, claim you are difficult to work with when that has never been your reputation is just wrong! Jennifer Hudson also won and hasn't had any follow ups offered to her.

She did a great job. Other than Lee Daniels, I haven't heard anybody say anything about her. And all that he said is that she made demands that were unacceptable and refused the protocol of thanking the studio and producers in her acceptance speech. Or did I miss something?

She did a great job. Other than Lee Daniels, I haven't heard anybody say anything about her. And all that he said is that she made demands that were unacceptable and refused the protocol of thanking the studio and producers in her acceptance speech. Or did I miss something?
    Yeah, both Oprah and Tyler Perry gave interviews where they claimed she was difficult. This is after brought Mo'nique's trainwreck of a family on her show to exploit the fact that Mo's brother molested her as a child.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    After the phenomenal job Mo'nique did in "Precious" where she was only paid $50,000 I think she deserves more and better. I would go see her in a heartbeat and I don't even go to the movies that much anymore. But to have the three stooges and that's what I think of them to go around and bad mouth you, claim you are difficult to work with when that has never been your reputation is just wrong! Jennifer Hudson also won and hasn't had any follow ups offered to her.
    Actually, I did some searching and neither Tyler Perry nor Oprah has said a word about her to the press. The only one who is bitching about the situation is her. In one interview, she said her problem with Oprah was not even related to blackballing, but a personal situation. I respect your opinion, but I think that she is at least 51% of the problem here. It's kind of odd that two people responsible for helping hundreds of Black people find work and get an education are attacking her without cause.

We can agree to disagree, though.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yeah, both Oprah and Tyler Perry gave interviews where they claimed she was difficult. This is after brought Mo'nique's trainwreck of a family on her show to exploit the fact that Mo's brother molested her as a child.
    That's the situation that she mentioned. I still want to see where they dogged her. I'll keep looking.

As much as I applaud her for speaking her mind, What's her end game? If she's demanding to get paid like Julia or Meryl, that ain't happening. I think she got hit with the Oscar curse.

I just read an interview with Mo'Nique's husband where said that they're mad because Oprah and Perry didn't set the record straight about her being a diva. Not because either said anything bad about her, but because neither said anything good about her. I then read interviews with her in which she indicated that her real problem is that if she'd known the movie would be successful, she'd have asked for more money and that she should have been a millionaire based on it. SMH.

No one knew that movie was going to be a hit. So how could she demand more money

Truth. She would not return any of her salary if it tanked at the box office.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    No one knew that movie was going to be a hit. So how could she demand more money
    She is really not demanding more money for "Precious". She is simply asking for more film roles at equitable pay. No white Academy Award Winner gets offered $50,000 or even $200,000 for roles following their Oscar wins. Mo'nique said, if she accepted any future offers at that low rate, she would be setting a precedent for future young black actresses and she is right!

In the World outside of Hollywood, when you apply for a new job, they will always ask, what was your last salary. I have a friend, a really good guy that had a decent paying job but lost it during the recession. The only opportunities he was finding in his area offered half of what he was making. I advised him not to take any of them because when he does find a job that pays close to his former salary, they will only look at what he was making just before applying for that job.

Her husband said they put Tyler Perry and Oprah Winfrey on blast, not because they said or did anything negative, but because neither of them went on record to correct the record that she was difficult. Nobody picked her out of the blue to decide that she shouldn't be hired. They aren't obligated to say something that they don't feel is true, especially after she admits cussing Oprah out at an Oscar watch party.

People have said that Mo'Nique has gone out of her way to help them early in their careers, so I think her heart is in the right place and that she is a genuine and good person. But you have to pick your battles. What do you think the reason for her being blackballed was? If it was because she's Black, it didn't stop Octavia Spencer, Lupita Nyong'o, or Viola Davis from being hired after they won. If anybody needed to know whether she was a trip to deal with, she's proving it.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 05-22-2017 at 01:54 PM.