[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

C.P. Spencer's Solo Motown Album

Well, I just love C.P. Spencer! He is surely one of Motown's most underrated singers, in one of Motown's most underrated groups.

I have read that when C.P. left The Originals in 1973 he recorded a whole solo LP for Motown that was never released. I believe the album was even written and produced by C.P. himself. Is this true? I sure hope so.

I believe one track "Still Holding On" has since come out, on the 1973 edition of the Motown Year By Year collection, and that's it! According to the DFTMC website the song was originally scheduled for release as M 1272 with a B-Side of "Say It Like The Children". Both tracks were recorded in April 1973 and produced by the man C.P. himself. Could any of y'all who have the CD tell me what the "Still Holding On" is like? Thanks

So, more importantly, can anyone confirm the existence of more solo C.P. recordings? Do you know how many there are? [[Enough for a whole album?) Any idea of what songs were recorded? [[Jobete covers or original songs?)

I don't believe the album was ever actually scheduled for release [[with a catalogue number), or given a track listing or title, so I don't have much to go by!!

Thanks all

What is the source for CP recording an album's worth of material?

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    What is the source for CP recording an album's worth of material?
    Hi boyfromxtown, I found this thread about C.P.'s unreleased album: https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...olo-recordings

Sadly there isn't a lot of info out there about this. That thread suggests it was C.P. himself who said that he recorded an album's worth of material. Of course there are definitely two solo songs of his that exist, and hopefully more!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-17-2017 at 07:26 PM.

Hi!

C.P. recorded a solo album called "Goin' For Myself" in 1971, which was meant to be released on the Soul subsidiary. C.P.: "It's still in the can. They're probably going to release it one day. When I got out there, they had recorded about ten-fifteen songs, and three or four of them is absolutely great stuff. 'Goin' For Myself' was uptempo." In 1973 on Motown they released a single "Still Holding On / Say It Like The Children."
    [[Soul Express # 3/2002: The Spinners story, part 2).

Best regards
    Heikki

Oh, that is wonderful! So the album was recorded when C.P. was still an Original. Interesting...

Thank you, heikki!!!

You're welcome, Tom!

Actually that was after the sessions for the "Def-i-ni-tions" album and right after C.P. was replaced by Ty Hunter.
    C.P.: "We were having problems at Motown. We were not getting good promotion, so I left for the project. We had just recently signed back with them, and the things we asked and were promised had not materialized. However, Motown was a God-sent for all of us."

Best regards
    Heikki

Oh, I see! Interesting. So C.P. left the group in 1971 and was thereafter replaced by Ty Hunter. He then recorded a solo album that remained unreleased, and then left Motown altogether!

I guess C.P. was treated even worse as a solo artist than as an Original. I'd love to see these recordings get a release, and so put things right for Mr Spencer!

Thanks again heikki, very much

Heikki, other than it being mentioned in the interview you had with C.P Spencer published in 2002, what's the evidence that the single referenced on Motown was ever released?

The Motown Year by Year 1973 CD includes "Still Holding On", but it's listed as "unreleased" and I've never seen any listing that shows it as having been issued.

Same goes for his solo album on Soul. Some listings do indeed show the cat. no. S-735L as being allocated to "Goin' For Myself", while others list that number as being intended for "Sunny And Warm" by Blinky [[Williams). Her album was later transferred to Motown for release, and as you know, despite many valiant attempts, it too remains in the vaults.

The timeline for S-735 would indicate a possible release date between late '71 and early '72. "Def..I..Ni..Tions" by The Originals [[cat. S-734) was released in early '72, so is it perhaps possible that C.P. is thinking of tracks he recorded at that time with The Originals, rather than by himself. Neither of the two songs mentioned above as being released in '73 on Motown [[M-1272), could have been intended for inclusion on the album, as according to TomatoTom, DFTMC states they weren't recorded till April '73, and I doubt that Motown would have allocated an old unused catalogue number to it.

Clearly an album was planned, and some songs were apparently recorded, but perhaps many were either unfinished or not started at all, so the project simply fell thru. Interesting stuff!

I think some of you should apply to get a private investigators license. The research and information supplied on these boards is unbelievable and fascinating!

Hi Motown Johnny!

It's nice communicating with a person, who has done research on this thing.
    I think that on that Motown 1272 single you're correct. It was released for the first time only on some 1990s compilations.
    Unfortunately I don't have that year-by-year CD from 1973 [[I stopped at 1966 - smile).

When doing this interview with C.P., I noticed that his memory was sharp - he could list things from the mid-50s that I checked later, and they were all correct - so I think that what he told us about that album is true.

Johnny, I really appreciate your input in here.

http://www.soulexpress.net/original.htm

Best regards
    Heikki

Tom and others, you might find this link from the SD archives interesting. CP was a very engaging personality, in my eyes
    https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...ncer+interview

Thanks everybody for your posts! This is very interesting.

I should say, I hadn't previously seen C.P. Spencer's unreleased album listed in discographies, nor did I know it was going to be called Goin' For Myself... hopefully this makes it more likely that it exists!

If "Still Holding On" and "Say It Like The Children" were recorded in early 1973, and C.P. left The Originals in late 1971, could you assume that C.P was recording through 1972 and that 10-15 tracks is a realistic estimate? But his solo album was supposed to come out in early 1972? Enough time for C.P. to record an album's worth of tracks? And, when the album went unreleased, why wait another year to release [[and then cancel!) a single? Questions, questions!

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Tom and others, you might find this link from the SD archives interesting. CP was a very engaging personality, in my eyes
    https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...ncer+interview
    Hey, thanks, soulwally! I remember that interview being posted but never got round to listening to it. I will do now!

honest man Guest
    anyone got the O riginals single from 73 non album. Theres a chance, to post been discussed on here would love to hear it and CP album
    reissued Love The originals lost and found next please,,cheers

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    anyone got the O riginals single from 73 non album. Theres a chance, to post been discussed on here would love to hear it and CP album
    reissued Love The originals lost and found next please,,cheers
    Hey honest man, I do remember that being discussed on SDF a while back. Unfortunately it wasn't available on YouTube then, and, having just checked, it still isn't! Do you have any idea who sings lead on the track? Do you remember what it was like?

Here's the 45cat page for the single:
    http://www.45cat.com/record/s35109f

And here it is on Discogs:
    https://www.discogs.com/Originals-Th...elease/6257215

According to DFTMC the song was recorded in August of 1973 in the Hitsville Golden World studios. It was an A-Side single but not a hit.

Any idea why the tune is so elusive, and so sought after? [[I assume it's because it's good...?!)

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey honest man, I do remember that being discussed on SDF a while back. Unfortunately it wasn't available on YouTube then, and, having just checked, it still isn't! Do you have any idea who sings lead on the track? Do you remember what it was like?

According to DFTMC the song was recorded in August of 1973 in the Hitsville Golden World studios. It was an A-Side single but not a hit.

Any idea why the tune is so elusive, and so sought after? [[I assume it's because it's good...?!)
    Tom and honest man, 'twas I who brought up the discussion of The Originals' There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose". What's it like, you ask? It's a ballad -- typical of the musical arrangements on Gladys' "If I Were Your Woman" album -- intense, melodic, classy, and beautiful. IMO, one of The Originals' best Motown recordings. I remember Bluebrock seconded that emotion the last time we discussed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Tom and honest man, 'twas I who brought up the discussion of The Originals' There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose". What's it like, you ask? It's a ballad -- typical of the musical arrangements on Gladys' "If I Were Your Woman" album -- intense, melodic, classy, and beautiful. IMO, one of The Originals' best Motown recordings. I remember Bluebrock seconded that emotion the last time we discussed it.
    Thanks Gary! Sounds great. I would love to hear it. I wonder how far off that day is?!!

Thanks Gary! Sounds great. I would love to hear it. I wonder how far off that day is?!!
    [[Eye-roll in return!) Your guess is as good as mine, Tom. It just breaks my heart that such a great record was heard by so few at the time, and is STILL going to waste 40+ years later. It makes no sense.

[[Eye-roll in return!) Your guess is as good as mine, Tom. It just breaks my heart that such a great record was heard by so few at the time, and is STILL going to waste 40+ years later. It makes no sense.
    Ahh, yes, a great shame. You know, Gary, I don't think any of The Originals' singles from about 1971 to 1975 were hits. And, checking now, "There's A Chance" was a complete miss!!

Hopefully it gets included as a bonus track on one of the group's reissued albums or something along those lines. When the song does get a CD release I will come back to this thread and remind everyone of how long it took!!

Ahh, yes, a great shame. You know, Gary, I don't think any of The Originals' singles from about 1971 to 1975 were hits. And, checking now, "There's A Chance" was a complete miss!!

Hopefully it gets included as a bonus track on one of the group's reissued albums or something along those lines. When the song does get a CD release I will come back to this thread and remind everyone of how long it took!!
    Here's hoping you'll have to do that soon, Tom!

On There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose, Freddie Gorman, Ty Hunter and Walter Gaines lead on the verses, and Hank Dixon takes over on the choruses. And it does have an 'If I Were Your Woman' feel.

Here's the flip to When You Love You'll lose..... First Lady [[Sweet Mother's Love - the refrain Sweet Mother's Love in the song reminds me of the Floaters "Float On"

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Here's the flip to When You Love You'll lose..... First Lady [[Sweet Mother's Love - the refrain Sweet Mother's Love in the song reminds me of the Floaters "Float On"

Produced and written by the group. Always liked that pic of the guys

Here's hoping you'll have to do that soon, Tom!
    Yes indeed Gary!

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    On There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose, Freddie Gorman, Ty Hunter and Walter Gaines lead on the verses, and Hank Dixon takes over on the choruses. And it does have an 'If I Were Your Woman' feel.
    Ah, fantastic, thank you soulwally!

Oh, now, that is very nice! Freddie Gorman was the BEST at spoken intros.

Hey, Mike, you're right about the "Float On" feel. That 'sweet mothers love' refrain is similar. And so is the guitar riff IMO.

honest man Guest
    What a lovely song can we have these 2 songs and more Originals on cd soooooooooooooooooooooooooon please.Tomtom if you post comments on YT [ i don't] would you ask the poster if he could post A side i feel we may be getting so close to hearing it,cheers.

What a lovely song can we have these 2 songs and more Originals on cd soooooooooooooooooooooooooon please.Tomtom if you post comments on YT [ i don't] would you ask the poster if he could post A side i feel we may be getting so close to hearing it,cheers.
    could not agree more with honest man great song great group, more please.

Hey, sure, honest man! I have posted many comments on the poster's videos before. He's called John G Byrne and has uploaded hundreds of Motown songs over many years. He has a great channel! So I'll give it a go for ya

honest man Guest
    Hey, sure, honest man! I have posted many comments on the poster's videos before. He's called John G Byrne and has uploaded hundreds of Motown songs over many years. He has a great channel! So I'll give it a go for ya
    Thank You Tom Much Appreciated,

I had no problem buying "There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose" as a US import in 1973, so I have absolutely no idea why it should be in such comparatively short supply now.

Do you still have your copy and it on U.S Motown?

Yes, I still have my copy on Soul.

Tom did you ask YTt poster about Originals song,cheers
    Hi honest man, I did, and, unusually, I have had no reply!! Normally John does reply to most comments. I will try again on a different Originals video of his.
    Hey honest man, an update on the YouTube situation for you: I have had a reply from John [[silly me for being skeptical and impatient!) and have then replied to John's comment, requesting for the song to be uploaded! Hopefully he does, I am so desperate to hear it!!!
    A FURTHER UPDATE!!!

John said that he is able to and will upload the song to YouTube!! He is currently away for the bank holiday so there will probably be a delay but hopefully it happens soon! Can't wait.

So excited... lol
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-28-2017 at 09:25 PM.

A FURTHER UPDATE!!!

So excited... lol
    I'm excited, too, Tom! Thanks for your effort!
    Hearing that song again for the first time in 30 years will be like reuniting with a dear old friend. And, let me tell you, I loved that record. I hope you will, too!

I'm excited, too, Tom! Thanks for your effort!
    Hearing that song again for the first time in 30 years will be like reuniting with a dear old friend. And, let me tell you, I loved that record. I hope you will, too!
    Hey, Gary, no worries! I want to hear it real bad like you, only for me it will be for the first time. Can't wait to reunite you with an old musical friend of yours... lol

And, yes, I hope I do like it! Or this will all be quite underwhelming... LOL

Hey, Gary, no worries! I want to hear it real bad like you, only for me it will be for the first time. Can't wait to reunite you with an old musical friend of yours... lol

And, yes, I hope I do like it! Or this will all be quite underwhelming... LOL
    Nah, Tom, I'm not at all worried that you won't like it. That record had Motown class stamped all over it. There's no doubt in my mind that it will have stood the test of time beautifully, as has all else Motown.

I'm just surprised that your contact on YouTube uploaded the B-side instead of the A-side. I'm wondering, did he not like "There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose"? I cannot imagine any Motown fan not liking it.

Nah, Tom, I'm not at all worried that you won't like it. That record had Motown class stamped all over it. There's no doubt in my mind that it will have stood the test of time beautifully, as has all else Motown.

I'm just surprised that your contact on YouTube uploaded the B-side instead of the A-side. I'm wondering, did he not like "There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose"? I cannot imagine any Motown fan not liking it.
    Ah, I trust you, Gary! I'm sure I'll like it.

Actually that's a good question... I'm not sure why John uploaded the B-Side and not the A-Side. He said "First Lady" was a personal favourite of his from way back but he does remember "There's A Chance" as well. Maybe he was just saving it for a special occasion..... like this

honest man Guest
    A FURTHER UPDATE!!!

John said that he is able to and will upload the song to YouTube!! He is currently away for the bank holiday so there will probably be a delay but hopefully it happens soon! Can't wait.

So excited... lol
    Thank you Tom .let me know when the eagle has landed,ha cheersTom

Thank you Tom .let me know when the eagle has landed,ha cheersTom
    Haha... will do honest man

I'm not sure why recent comments and posts relating to a specific 45 by The Originals are being posted here!

The subject of this thread is supposedly C.P. Spencer and it's already been clearly confirmed that by the time The Originals recorded "There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose", C.P. Spencer, was long gone from them.

As 144man so rightly says at post no. 31, copies of the above single are still available - in fact Discogs currently have at least six on offer so those so are seemingly desperate to have it can readily satisfy their wants!

Sorry if it sounds like I'm whinging, but please try to keep in mind that in a few years time, if someone wants info on that particular Originals song, they won't think of looking thru a post about C.P. Spencer in order to find it. A new thread on this supposedly "obscure" 45 by The Originals should really have been created as far back as post 14 or 15!

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by motownjohnny View Post
    I'm not sure why recent comments and posts relating to a specific 45 by The Originals are being posted here!

The subject of this thread is supposedly C.P. Spencer and it's already been clearly confirmed that by the time The Originals recorded "There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose", C.P. Spencer, was long gone from them.

As 144man so rightly says at post no. 31, copies of the above single are still available - in fact Discogs currently have at least six on offer so those so are seemingly desperate to have it can readily satisfy their wants!

Sorry if it sounds like I'm whinging, but please try to keep in mind that in a few years time, if someone wants info on that particular Originals song, they won't think of looking thru a post about C.P. Spencer in order to find it. A new thread on this supposedly "obscure" 45 by The Originals should really have been created as far back as post 14 or 15!
    Yes it's sounds like your whinging, this is a Originals related matter and nearly completed, your comments are just pointless and making the thread longer,if you don't want to read about Our Discussion and don't want to comment feel free not to ,CHEERS.

I heard a wonderful expression from an ex Australian cricketer recently, and I would suggest it applies to motownjohnny here:

"you are majoring in minor issues"

Quote Originally Posted by motownjohnny View Post

Woah, johnny, relax! I understand your point but, honestly, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. If someone wants info on this Originals song they can search for 'there's a chance when you love you'll lose' and this thread will come up, won't it? This is an Originals-related matter and I don't see why it can't be discussed here...? Most threads deviate from the original [[haaa...) subject matter [[often a lot more than in this one) and that's just how it goes!!

I had intended to start a thread with the [[soon to be uploaded) video of "There's A Chance" inserted and call it 'the most obscure Originals song ever... comes to YouTube!' or something along those lines, which I still plan to do! So have no worries, johnny
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-29-2017 at 09:21 PM.

I started the first thread about CP's cancelled album. Yet I haven't commented on this one. "Still Holdin' On" is a killer track. C.P. really channels his inner-Marvin Gaye here. It's also super hard to find, not even on youtube.

I couldn't remember in which thread the conversation about "There's A Chance.." was being discussed, but I had no trouble getting back here by using the internal SDF search engine. I think this facility is very much underused, and is an invaluable tool in avoiding duplicating existing threads.

While looking for "There's A Chance.." on YouTube, I noticed that it was on an Originals' playlist at some time in the past, but had since been removed.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I couldn't remember in which thread the conversation about "There's A Chance.." was being discussed, but I had no trouble getting back here by using the internal SDF search engine. I think this facility is very much underused, and is an invaluable tool in avoiding duplicating existing threads.

While looking for "There's A Chance.." on YouTube, I noticed that it was on an Originals' playlist at some time in the past, but had since been removed.
    Hey 144man, I didn't know that. Sometimes YouTube removes videos itself I think. BTW I'm still waiting [[patiently) for John to upload the video........ lol

And yea, the search engine is great to avoid duplicating threads. I use it whenever I am about to start a thread to prevent the first response I get from being 'we've already had a thread about this'..... which is annoying...

I went through my collection and unearthed "Still Holding On", the CP Spencer 1973 track unreleased by Motown. I hope you enjoy it...it's a very nice track indeed.

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/m...05_50_51-07_00

I went through my collection and unearthed "Still Holding On", the CP Spencer 1973 track unreleased by Motown. I hope you enjoy it...it's a very nice track indeed.

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/m...05_50_51-07_00
    Mike, THANK YOU! How wonderful. I will give it a listen in a bit.

Wow! What a great song. A bit of Marvin Gaye, a bit of Willie Hutch, groovy, smooth -- very nice. And The Andantes are even there too!!! This only makes me want that unreleased album even more. Thanks again for the track, Mike