[REMOVE ADS]

Heatwave and Mother Dear, a background vocals thread

So it seems that Diana is singing in the backgrounds with Mary and Florence for the first version of Heatwave. Does anyone else also hear her in the backgrounds with Flo and Mary for Mother Dear version 3? Or is that the Andantes mixed in with them.

I wonder why they didn't go with that first version of Heatwave for Sing H-D-H . I wonder if TPTB were trying to send a message to Flo with recording these songs without her. Florence is quoted as to saying that there were some songs she did with the Andantes without Mary, does anyone know which songs they are? Louvaine Demps said that on Stop in the name of love that Florence is in there but makes no mention of Mary, I wonder if that's one of the songs.

It's Mary, Flo and the Andantes on the third version of "Mother Dear." Background vocals were recorded March 4, 1966. If you listen, the Andantes don't sing in their usual three part harmony, but rather in unison as to beef up the background. Either they all recorded together [[which I think what happened) or they recorded separately and their vocals mixed together.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    So it seems that Diana is singing in the backgrounds with Mary and Florence for the first version of Heatwave. Does anyone else also hear her in the backgrounds with Flo and Mary for Mother Dear version 3? Or is that the Andantes mixed in with them.

I wonder why they didn't go with that first version of Heatwave for Sing H-D-H . I wonder if TPTB were trying to send a message to Flo with recording these songs without her. Florence is quoted as to saying that there were some songs she did with the Andantes without Mary, does anyone know which songs they are? Louvaine Demps said that on Stop in the name of love that Florence is in there but makes no mention of Mary, I wonder if that's one of the songs.
    I'm not hearing more than two voices in the background on Mother Dear '66. Sounds like Flo and Mary alone, to me.

No idea why either "It's the Same Old Song" or "Heat Wave" were re-recorded for Sing HDH instead of just including what had already been done. Both the original versions are better to my ears than the re-recorded versions.

I wouldn't read much into gossip about messages being sent and what not. If TPTB really wanted to send Flo a message it would have probably been more powerful to use an actual Supremes single to do it, not random album tracks. And if it's true that Flo isn't on "You Can't Hurry Love" and that was the message they wished to send...well clearly it didn't work because there was a full year more of fuckery to take place behind the scenes after the release.

I just listened to an acapella version of "Stop" and I can hear Mary back there.
    Last edited by RanRan79; 05-13-2017 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    It's Mary, Flo and the Andantes on the third version of "Mother Dear." Background vocals were recorded March 4, 1966. If you listen, the Andantes don't sing in their usual three part harmony, but rather in unison as to beef up the background. Either they all recorded together [[which I think what happened) or they recorded separately and their vocals mixed together.
    Sorry Brad, but I'm just not hearing it. Sounds like Flo and Mary alone to my ears.

I don't hear Mary on Going Down For The Third Time. In fact on the mono version her "save me, save me" is cut out