[REMOVE ADS]

Ian Levine and Cindy

Does anyone know why Ian Levine never recorded Cindy Birdsong? Except for Ross, I think he recorded all of the other Supremes.

Mmm, good question, lakeside. I bet Ian would have wanted to, so it was probably Cindy that chose not to work with him.

Great question for which I have no answer! She did have a contract with another label in UK but I'd think she could have recorded after that expired.

Interestingly I just found out that Cindy had a single out on Hi-Hat Records entitled "Dancing Room" in late 1987... which is just about when Ian Levine started recording former Motown artists!

Yes, Cindy recorded a few things..."Dancing Room" one of them for
    Hi-Hat records in the UK before they folded. Prior to that, I believe she was in the early version of the FLOS....about a hot minute. I thought she would have been a good candidate for Levine about that time as he was busy recording all those Motown singers.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Yes, Cindy recorded a few things..."Dancing Room" one of them for
    Hi-Hat records in the UK before they folded. Prior to that, I believe she was in the early version of the FLOS....about a hot minute. I thought she would have been a good candidate for Levine about that time as he was busy recording all those Motown singers.
    Did Cindy record on any of the early FLO's recordings?

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Does anyone know why Ian Levine never recorded Cindy Birdsong? Except for Ross, I think he recorded all of the other Supremes.
    In the book OFF THE RECORD by Reg Bartlette, there is a list of Motorcity Artists and songs that were recorded [[as of June 1990). Cindy is on the list with 1 song called "Yesterday's Love." I don't know if there were any vocals laid down, but I never heard it. Ian Levine wrote the forward to the book, so I would assume this list would be correct.

Ian Levine provided Motorcity members with a list of artists and songs, and "Yesterday's Love" did indeed appear on this list. As the tracks were released, whether on solo singles and albums or on various artist CDs, I used to make a note of the catalogue number[[s) on my copy of the list. Since I have not written a number against "Yesterday's Love", I'm fairly sure it was never released at the time.

Interesting JR. I've got the impression that after Cindys attempted comeback and being temporarily "stranded " in U.K., she'd had enough of the music business and concentrated on the ministry.

I spent a lovely afternoon with Cindy when "Dancing Room" was released; we did a great interview, she was fab, she was being managed by Bernard Jay, who was also managing Divine at the time..Cindy's single never got a U.S. release despite Bernard telling me that it would..Name:  534839_10151233109486046_20339791_n.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  59.2 KB
    Last edited by Jimi LaLumia; 05-09-2017 at 05:35 PM.

A couple of versions of "Dancing Room" are available on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Did Cindy record on any of the early FLO's recordings?
    No she did not.

she was with Flos in the beginning but was replaced by Lynda Lawrence again when another record co wined and dined her. I think it all fell thru