[REMOVE ADS]

Fishing around on youtube - Vandellas/Kendricks

I was having as youtube browse the other night when I came across a song I now can't get out of my head, like you do. It's Martha and the Vandellas' He Doesn't Love Her Anymore, the flip of I'm Ready Of Love. I must have heard it in 1966-67 because we always played both sides of a single then, and I possibly dismissed it then because it wasn't beaty. It's typical of Ivy Hunter [[who wrote and produced it on his own), with unusual chord changes/time signature changes, or whatever. it brings to mind the Tempts' Just Another Lonely Night and the shelved Last One Out Is Brokenhearted, from the Lost And Found CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93K3J6vxvSo

Then I found Eddie Kendricks' I Did It All For You, the first single from his All By Myself solo debut. The only version of this I know is from the UK stereo All By Myself album release - and both the instrumental and vocal tracks are different on every upload I found on youtube, include his lip-synced performance on Soul Train, presumably pushing the single. I much prefer the version I heard first. I know Motown re-cast a lot of tracks for stereo album release in the Sixties, but this was 1970 or 1971. Here's the Soul Train clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJhvEKMtvUg

Sorry, just realised this should be in the Motown Forum

Velvelettes Cal sung that Vandellas song at the dinner table in Cleethorpes. Gobsmacked was the word!

Wow. I presumed she 'nailed' it, in X Factor parlance. It's a very difficult song to sing, I would imagine, speaking as an amateur. Fancy Cal digging that one out!

Cal just sung it without the words and unexpectedly when someone casually asked if she could remember any songs that hadn't been released. She sung the first verse and it sounded wonderful to me but then I know I'm biased. She was definitely in tune, that's for sure.

I wish I could hear more of the backing only on that song.....I'm waiting to see if MJ picks up on it sometime in the future.

Love this Martha song! Is this released on CD?

It's on the Watchout album, which I think was available as a twofer. And with it being a B side, it will be on the relevant TCMS volume.