[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross at Universal Amphitheater and Radio City Music Hall

I'm trying to find the agenda of past Diana Ross engagement at LA Universal Amphitheater and NY Radio City Music Hall.
    This is what I've found till now. If you know more, your help is welcome.

Diana Ross at at Universal Amphitheater
    1974, july 5, 7.
    1978, september 19 and more ?
    1983,, july 21, 22, 24, 25, 26
    1987, july 28, 29, 30, 31.
    1989, july 19, 20, 21, 22
    1991, July 25, 26, 27, 28
    1995 september 30 [[more?)
    2007, november 20 [[Gibson Amphitheater).

Diana Ross at Radio City Music Hall
    1978 October 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 at 8
    1978 October 7 at 7:30 and 11:30
    1984 september 19, 20,21, 22, 23, at 8 and midnight
    1984 september 24 at 8
    1989 september 14, 15, 16, 17 at 8 and midnight
    1991 september 19 [[more?)
    1995 october 13, 14
    2010 may 19
    Last edited by Albator; 04-30-2017 at 02:59 PM.

I think the legendary midnight jazz festival show was at Radio City; will see if I can find more info.

I know I saw her at the Universal amphitheater in 1995 on her "Take me Higher" tour. I'll have to look up the exact date.

On a website, i saw she was at Universal on 1983 from july 21 to 26, also in september 30 1995 and on 2007, november 20 [[Gibson Amphitheater).

It seems incomplete.

I saw her at Radio City in 1995 and 2010..last time I saw her she was greyhound bound at the Theater at Madison Square Garden must have been 2012 or 2013 I don't remember.. I sat this round of shows out, she seems to have done fine without me..lol

There was an engagement at the Universal Ampitheater in 1984. I'm not sure of the date [[s), but I would think somewhere around July - September.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    There was an engagement at the Universal Ampitheater in 1984. I'm not sure of the date [[s), but I would think somewhere around July - September.
    You are right. On the October 6, 1984 issue of Billboard, Larry Vallon, vice president of Universal stated that she was one of the biggest act of the summer season with seven shows, behind Iglesias with 10.
    this was August from 6 to 12.

With box office breaking records at Radio City Music Hall and this engagement, is it possible to conclude that the 83/84 period was her peak in terms of success ?

Around that time, she was also touring Europe in 83 and 85.
    Last edited by Albator; 05-01-2017 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    You are right. On the October 6, 1984 issue of Billboard, Larry Vallon, vice president of Universal stated that she was one of the biggest act of the summer season with seven shows, behind Iglesias with 10.

With box office breaking records at Radio City Music Hall and this engagement, is it possible to conclude that the 83/84 period was her peak in terms of success ?

Around that time, she was also touring Europe in 83 and 85.
    Glad to know my memory isn't failing me. In 1984, I remember that ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT did a profile on big upcoming concerts and they mentioned Diana was going to be at the Universal Ampitheater. At the time of the telecast, SWEPT AWAY had not yet been released and I wondered what the show would be like.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Glad to know my memory isn't failing me. In 1984, I remember that ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT did a profile on big upcoming concerts and they mentioned Diana was going to be at the Universal Ampitheater. At the time of the telecast, SWEPT AWAY had not yet been released and I wondered what the show would be like.
    I read a late 83 critics of her show in Philadelphia, and she was not performing a single song from Ross. But like in CP, she did an abbreviated "bad" and "ribbon in the sky".

I also remember reading that during the 87 mini tour, even so she was promoting "Red hot", she didn't perform anything from "Red Hot"

In 89, in Paris she did "there goes my baby". It seems she performed this one only there.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    I read a late 83 critics of her show in Philadelphia, and she was not performing a single song from Ross. But like in CP, she did an abbreviated "bad" and "ribbon in the sky".

I also remember reading that during the 87 mini tour, even so she was promoting "Red hot", she didn't perform anything from "Red Hot"

In 89, in Paris she did "there goes my baby". It seems she performed this one only there.
    I saw the '83 tour and she only sang LET'S GO UP from ROSS. I was surprised that she didn't do the single, PIECES OF ICE. But it was only the second date of the tour so I figure she might not have had time to get a suitable arrangement of it yet. And yes, she also did RIBBON IN THE SKY and BEAT IT.

I also saw the '84 tour that September. The show included quite a few songs from SWEPT AWAY, including the title track, RESCUE ME, MISSING YOU, and a finale of FOREVER YOUNG. She also still performed LET'S GO UP from ROSS. No LADY songs, though.

In 85, still in Paris, and her "Eaten Alive" LP on the market, she did all the Swept away promo,
    Missing you, Touch by touch, rescue me, forever young and of course Swept away.

She switched Telephone for Eaten Alive right after Muscles.

Here is the review from the LA Time September 23, 1983.

September 23 LA Time
    Obviously preferring to keep the mood light, Ross hammered her way through Michael Sembello's "Maniac" a misguided choice and a cover of Stevie Wonder's poignant "Ribbon in the Sky," which she unwisely spiked with lascivious bumps and grinds. Supported by an 11-piece band and two back-up singers, Ross kept the show moving briskly as she performed abbreviated versions of her old Supremes and post-Motown hits. Only on torchy tear-jerkers like "My Man" and "Endless Love" was Ross' interpretive flair obvious. It would have been nice if she'd included more numbers that demanded an emotional and artistic stretch.- Another big laugh occurred when Ross segued into "Muscles," her Michael Jackson-produced hit of last year lauding men of Arnold Schwarzenegger's proportions, by saying, "Michael wrote this for me, and I don't know if it's his fantasy or mine." In fact, the night's only big disappointment was the non-appearance of Jackson, Ross' friend and former protege. What a thrill it would have been to see those two skinny superstars gyrating on stage to "Beat It." Watching Ross gamely attempt to do the song alone was poor compensation. through a crisply paced set that lacked depth but was full of surface appeal. Hardly a critic's pet, the evening's big laugh came when Ross moved through the choice seats for her patented audience participation segment and seized a pop critic's notes. Perusing them, she demanded! "So, how am I doing?" The critic was stuck for words, and it was a wonderful touche moment for the casicst-to-knock artist in pop music. Now that Donna Summer has embraced religion with near-fundamentalist intensity. Ross is easily the sexiest black diva around. Back in the '60s, with her toothpick thinness, mountain-high wigs and Kabuki-like makeup, Ross was a sex symbol to only her most die-hard fans. But, today, approaching 40, Ross projects a down-and-dirty earthiness that can be a jolt when you remember her past primness. "I used to be Snow White," she teased, quoting Mae West. "But I drifted." Ross referred only obliquely to her recent Central Park concerts that were marred by torrential rains and unruly fans. [["It's not raining out, is it?" After a typical Diana Ross concert, it isn't the memory of the elaborate staging and lighting, or the glamorous costume changes that stick with you. It's definitely not the music you remember. [[At a Diana Ross concert, the music is almost incidental.) What is most memorable is the Ross persona, engaging, generous and accessible. She's like an overgrown kid in a $10,000 bugle-beaded gown. A Brewster Project-street-urchin-cum-Vegas superstar. And. although Ross is fully capable of being both unbearably plastic and shallow, only a tin-hearted cynic could remain immune to the onslaught of all that laser-powered charm. Wednesday night at the Universal Amphitheatre, the opener of a six-night engagement, Ross breezed.

I saw her at Radio City for the Force Behind the Power tour. She played 3 nights during that stint at Radio City.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    I saw her at Radio City for the Force Behind the Power tour. She played 3 nights during that stint at Radio City.
    thanks.
    I noticed that Diana's Wiki page is rather poor when it comes to tour dates and informations. Even Donna Summer 's page is more up to date, but it's nothing compared to rock acts or divas like Streisand, Cher or Madonna.