[REMOVE ADS]

Cool Another Supremes Remix For You

Hi guys. I thought I'd dig into my archives to share another Supremes remix. However this one is different, though you may want to run to the hills when I tell you this is a house remix. I wouldn't blame you, as most modern remixes of classic songs tend to be pretty much sacrilege. But despite that, I figured I'd share this, as it was one of the first things I ever created -- back in 2001, when I first took up remixing as a hobby. Anyway, this is a remix of "Now The Bitter, Now The Sweet" from their "Floy Joy" album. Considering it's a house mix, I tried to keep it tasteful, and not too distracting, I added a more prominent beat and a bit more instrumentation, as well as lengthening the song to over 7 minutes. The more modern makeover seemed to work well. But if you guys don't like it, I understand. LOL. At any rate, enjoy! Hopefully!

Peace,
    DJ Moch

DJ, I love what you did with this! The sustained string passages that you added are fantastic -- just what the track needed to make me love it for the first time ever!

DJ Moch, I really like what you have done with this track. Very Trippy! I always loved the original version [[and the whole Floy Joy album) and you have given it a new slant.

I have enjoyed all your remixes and hope that the Motown artists still with us get to hear what you have done. I am sure that they would be pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmo View Post
    I have enjoyed all your remixes and hope that the Motown artists still with us get to hear what you have done. I am sure that they would be pleased.
    You have no idea how happy I would be if that were ever to happen. I do my mixes out of an extreme love and respect for the artists who made them. I would be honoured if they would ever get the chance to hear my work. Thanks for the positive comments, Gary and Ozmo. I means a lot to get feedback, whether good or bad, it helps motivate me to try and work more magic.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    Hi guys. I thought I'd dig into my archives to share another Supremes remix. However this one is different, though you may want to run to the hills when I tell you this is a house remix. I wouldn't blame you, as most modern remixes of classic songs tend to be pretty much sacrilege. But despite that, I figured I'd share this, as it was one of the first things I ever created -- back in 2001, when I first took up remixing as a hobby. Anyway, this is a remix of "Now The Bitter, Now The Sweet" from their "Floy Joy" album. Considering it's a house mix, I tried to keep it tasteful, and not too distracting, I added a more prominent beat and a bit more instrumentation, as well as lengthening the song to over 7 minutes. The more modern makeover seemed to work well. But if you guys don't like it, I understand. LOL. At any rate, enjoy! Hopefully!

Peace,
    DJ Moch

This is outstanding. Do more!

That was great. Liked it more than the original. It needed to be "enhanced". I like all of your creations.

I always loved this song. An excellent use of all three voices. I like this remix too.

this is one of my favs from FJ. love it.great job. nice mix. jamming.

Wow, that's certainly an improvement over the original for sure. I never cared that much for the "Floy Joy " album but did like "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love". I'll never understand how "Floy Joy" reached the same chart position as "Nathan Jones" which should have at least gone top 10 if not #1. That was genius. "Floy Joy" sounded like a child wrote it plus another name for a song? Whoever heard of Floy? It would have been great had Cindy done the cover. She could have easily hid her pregnancy by sitting in the chair...it was what it was.

This is really good!

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    Wow, that's certainly an improvement over the original for sure. I never cared that much for the "Floy Joy " album but did like "Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love". I'll never understand how "Floy Joy" reached the same chart position as "Nathan Jones" which should have at least gone top 10 if not #1. That was genius. "Floy Joy" sounded like a child wrote it plus another name for a song? Whoever heard of Floy? It would have been great had Cindy done the cover. She could have easily hid her pregnancy by sitting in the chair...it was what it was.
    I just watched the "child" that wrote "Floy Joy" receive the Gerschwin Award from the Library of Congress for Songwriting last night on PBS. That child was none other than Mr. Smokey Robinson!

Love it! Thank you!

Thanks so much for the comments guys. I have to admit I was a bit apprehensive about posting a more modern remix, given how do you all seem to be Motown purists and I wasn't sure how you would react to a more modern sounding remix. I'm very happy you enjoyed this mix.

please do something with Bad Weather. it has grown on me and I prefer the version on the 2000 box set over any other but it never made me want to dance or anything. I like the vocals and lyrics but thought something was missing

Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    This is really good!
    Thank you, George, I appreciate that. I have to say you guys did an incredible job on "A-Go-Go" and you should be thrilled and proud to have played your part in creating something so wonderful.

I already have my eyes looking towards future Supremes releases [[really, Emile, really?) A few weeks back I posted my reconstruction I did of You Keep Me Hangin' On, and I wanted to share it again, as a) It's one of my favourite Supremes tracks, bar none, and b) it makes me look forward to the [[eventual) release of an expanded "Sing Holland-Dozier-Holland." I can't wait to see what treats will be uncovered for that particular album. I'm sure we won't be let down. In the meantime, here's my "contribution", as a thank you to all the hard work you do putting these incredible sets together.

Respect,
    Emile [[aka DJ Moch)

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I just watched the "child" that wrote "Floy Joy" receive the Gerschwin Award from the Library of Congress for Songwriting last night on PBS. That child was none other than Mr. Smokey Robinson!
    If it isn't the only living Motown Historian. Who knew Smokey Robinson wrote the trite "Floy Joy"? Did you know he also wrote the very weak, "The Composer"? Of course you do. I'm very happy he received this prestigious award for the great work he did do, however, I'm thrilled you just watched the child...exclamation mark! By the way, it's Gershwin. How's Diane?

If it isn't the only living Motown Historian. Who knew Smokey Robinson wrote the trite "Floy Joy"? Did you know he also wrote the very weak, "The Composer"? Of course you do. I'm very happy he received this prestigious award for the great work he did do, however, I'm thrilled you just watched the child...exclamation mark! By the way, it's Gershwin. How's Diane?
    Ok whatever. I was like in the sixth grade when "Floy Joy" came out. We children loved it and still do! Peace!

Ouch!! Too much BITTER not enough SWEET!!! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmo View Post
    Ouch!! Too much BITTER not enough SWEET!!! lol.
    Yeah, he's still sucking on a lemon because he hates that "Floy Joy" was a national hit! I didn't even get around to reminding him that it was 45 years ago and there is nothing he can do about it now! LOL!!!!

For goodness sake, is there no thread that's safe from these sorts of arguments? I don't understand this! I posted this thread to share my mixes with y'all, not to see even more pettiness.

Getting back on track, here's a new Supremes reconstruction for you guys. This time an extended reworking of "The Happening". Enjoy!

DJ Moch

Yeah, he's still sucking on a lemon because he hates that "Floy Joy" was a national hit! I didn't even get around to reminding him that it was 45 years ago and there is nothing he can do about it now! LOL!!!!
    You read so much more into things and take it all so seriously. If someone does not agree with you, you throw your usual tantrum. I never said I HATED "Floy Joy" did I? Frankly I'm glad it was a hit especially since it was a first time Jean & Mary duet. It was an opinion which I know is forbidden on here. You're the reason several people left because of your ignorance. Grow up. That'll never happen. Sucking on a lemon over a pop song...oh lord. Find a support group.

Getting back on track, here's a new Supremes reconstruction for you guys. This time an extended reworking of "The Happening". Enjoy!
    DJMooch, I LOVE this remix. You can clearly hear the background vocals and I finally understood a couple of lyrics I was iffy on before! This song was always just a fun one for me and this extends the joy! Thanks for doing this one. Oh, and Now The Bitter, Now The Sweet was always a favorite of mine from the frothy Floy Joy album and that one is also fantastic! You really show the love on these song, Emile! Thank you.

DJ Moch
    It sounds good. Thank you for sharing it here. There is one song I always felt that if it were mixed differently, it would have been a big hit. The song? "You're My Driving Wheel" Would you ever consider do a remix on that one?

It sounds good. Thank you for sharing it here. There is one song I always felt that if it were mixed differently, it would have been a big hit. The song? "You're My Driving Wheel" Would you ever consider do a remix on that one?
    Well, with that request unfortunately I would pretty much be limited to re-editing the original recordings [[or creating a more modern sounding mix, which honestly I'd prefer not to do, I'd much rather stick to vintage sounding reworkings). Most of the Motown mixes I've done so far have either come from the actual multitracks [[heaven knows how lucky I've been to come across quite a few of them), or through using the karaoke backing tracks / acapellas that appeared on those Motown Karaoke sets from a good decade ago. There's plenty there to give me inspiration. However, it just makes certain requests like "Driving Wheel" a bit harder to achieve a proper remix. But I can definitely give it a go when I have the chance, as I always like getting suggestions for remix ideas.

Peace,
    DJ Moch

I understand and thanks for responding. Another on my wish list is Kim Weston's "Take me In Your Arms ". I look forward to hearing your future remixes.

You read so much more into things and take it all so seriously. If someone does not agree with you, you throw your usual tantrum. I never said I HATED "Floy Joy" did I? Frankly I'm glad it was a hit especially since it was a first time Jean & Mary duet. It was an opinion which I know is forbidden on here. You're the reason several people left because of your ignorance. Grow up. That'll never happen. Sucking on a lemon over a pop song...oh lord. Find a support group.
    For the record I never cared for the song "Floy Joy" either. To me the lyrics were stupid and I do love Smokey Robinsons writings. Loved the Floy Joy album though.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    For the record I never cared for the song "Floy Joy" either. To me the lyrics were stupid and I do love Smokey Robinsons writings. Loved the Floy Joy album though.
    The song "Floy Joy" was about three hot and beautiful women in love with a player. Adult subject matter maybe just too much for some people to handle I guess. Enough people loved it to make it the Supremes last Top 20 Hit [[#16 Billboard). I loved it....still do!

how about Your Wonderful Sweet Love from Floy Joy.?? they all sound great

"A palpitating syncopation of the killer diller with a wicky-wacky stomping of the floy joy!"

from Walt Disney's Pinocchio - [[1940)

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    "A palpitating syncopation of the killer diller with a wicky-wacky stomping of the floy joy!"

from Walt Disney's Pinocchio - [[1940)
    I also always liked "Flat Foot Foozy with a Floy, Floy" LOL!!!!!

Oops ... I posted twice ...
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 05-04-2017 at 02:28 PM.

Nice; I'm a remix fan and seek them out on YT for a change of sound. I hope someone does an EDM mix of 'Love Is ...' with repeats of Diana's 'The love bug done bit me' and 'Whoo!'. Thanks for these - great, new listening.

I totally agree with you. I thought "floy joy" was the weakest Supremes album with the notable exception of the Jimmy Webb album. It came as a grave disappointment to me following the previous three albums, and whilst i would stop short of saying it sounded like a child wrote it, i can see where you are coming from. Definitely not one of Smokeys finest moments. However this remix is excellent and i would love to hear the whole album remixed. For me it always lacked something, but i understand and respect that other people appreciated it.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    DJMooch, I LOVE this remix. You can clearly hear the background vocals and I finally understood a couple of lyrics I was iffy on before! This song was always just a fun one for me and this extends the joy! Thanks for doing this one. Oh, and Now The Bitter, Now The Sweet was always a favorite of mine from the frothy Floy Joy album and that one is also fantastic! You really show the love on these song, Emile! Thank you.
    Great remix DJ. You never disappoint my friend. Keep up the great work.

Mary and Lucy working it out in 2011:

Mary and Lucy working it out in 2011:

Nice version. Not seen this before.

Peace,
    DJ Moch

This is even a better remix than I originally stated. Do again, but extend it even further.