[REMOVE ADS]

Diana 'Dirty Looks' Live, 1994

I haven't seen this one before - just posted to YT a few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk9gDCFevkA

I like this live better than the studio version. Almost anything from RHRAB ticks me off because she botched the opportunity to do something classic. But she sounds great in this performance and looks great. The one song from RHRAB that I love is "Selfish One". I wonder if she ever did it in concert?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I like this live better than the studio version. Almost anything from RHRAB ticks me off because she botched the opportunity to do something classic. But she sounds great in this performance and looks great. The one song from RHRAB that I love is "Selfish One". I wonder if she ever did it in concert?
    Don't know, but I love 'Selfish' also. I think the entire LP is good, though the Funkytowngrooves 2-disc version does seem to infer that originally an all-covers version was planned. I certainly agree that this live version bests the recorded, though - and Diana is energy and fun personified in this clip -

"Dirty Looks" is not one of my most favorite Ross songs, but I think the RHRAB album is very good. I play it often.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Don't know, but I love 'Selfish' also. I think the entire LP is good, though the Funkytowngrooves 2-disc version does seem to infer that originally an all-covers version was planned. I certainly agree that this live version bests the recorded, though - and Diana is energy and fun personified in this clip -
    The performance just proves why she was still packing them in even though her discography wasn't doing what it once did. This woman has the goods, then and now. Entertainer of the Century is no small feat.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    "Dirty Looks" is not one of my most favorite Ross songs, but I think the RHRAB album is very good. I play it often.
    Hey, it takes all kinds, right? For me there just wasn't enough rhythm and blues, in fact I would say very little. This woman knew how to do soul. She should have hit hard with the best producers. It just falls flat to me. But I'm glad someone likes it. Is RHRAB your favorite of her RCA albums?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Hey, it takes all kinds, right? For me there just wasn't enough rhythm and blues, in fact I would say very little. This woman knew how to do soul. She should have hit hard with the best producers. It just falls flat to me. But I'm glad someone likes it. Is RHRAB your favorite of her RCA albums?
    The albums I play most from her RCA years are RHRAB, Swept Away and Why Do Fools Fall in love.

Although many of the original songs on RHR&B were not really R&B, I like the album's aim to connect classic R&B with new 1980s sounds that hark back to R&B [[such as "Shine" and "Dirty Looks"). She [[and Tom Dowd) clearly gave a more classic R&B sound to Dirty Looks in comparison to the original Warp 9 version [[from the Motown label) that sounds far more dated now than the Ross version:
    Last edited by Jaap; 04-25-2017 at 03:15 AM.