[REMOVE ADS]

Deep appreciation for Motown...

Hello All,

This past December I was given the opportunity to program and "DJ" a weekly radio program called "Look At Motown" playing the hits, B-sides, album cuts and songs from the vaults for a small community-based radio station in Florence, Oregon. Unfortunately the budget for the operation is dependent on donations and grants so the station, at this time, does not have the capability to stream the shows. But, I digress.

As I've mined my own personal "vault" of 250+ CDs for the weekly show I've been blown away by the quality of music that Motown put out during the glory years and beyond. Granted, I've heard all of the songs many times since 1964 [[my inaugural year being introduced to Motown) but it's been many years since I've listened to many of them but putting together a show that can have anywhere from 18 to 24 songs has given me the opportunity to hear many of them with fresh ears. Wow, is all I can say!

I want to thank Berry Gordy, the artists, writers, producers, musicians and support staff who have given the world music that still resonates to this day. And, for that I'm not only grateful to have grown up and witnessed Motown in the 60s but feel so fortunate that I can, in my own way, carry the torch for Motown in my neck of the woods.

Motown music -- this really is the gift that keeps on giving year after year!

I enjoyed reading that! Thank you motownlover1964

Me too. Thanks motownlover. It's good to step back sometimes and see how wonderful Motown really has been and enriched our lives!

And to add to you wonderful appraisal of the contributions of the Motown family, motownlover1964, listening to these artists expanded my appreciation for music and culture outside of my immediate experience as a teenager growing up in Ottawa, Canada. The Supremes singing "My Favorite Things" with that cool sax break, got me to eventually seek out John Coltrane's version. Diana's turn as "Lady Day" introduced me to Billie Holiday. The Four Tops and Temptations take on "adult standards" made me seek out Tony Bennett. Thank you Berry Gordy for your musical vision!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    And to add to you wonderful appraisal of the contributions of the Motown family, motownlover1964, listening to these artists expanded my appreciation for music and culture outside of my immediate experience as a teenager growing up in Ottawa, Canada. The Supremes singing "My Favorite Things" with that cool sax break, got me to eventually seek out John Coltrane's version. Diana's turn as "Lady Day" introduced me to Billie Holiday. The Four Tops and Temptations take on "adult standards" made me seek out Tony Bennett. Thank you Berry Gordy for your musical vision!
    John Coltrane's version is superb! I found it in a used record shop here in New York.

Beautifully stated Motownlover. Agree 1000 percent!

Well said. Motown is a lifetime thing. There's always something to discover too.