[REMOVE ADS]

Mystery OF Supremes Vancouver Recording Session Finally Solved

Some years back, I posted a comment about Diana Ross & the Supremes having been credited with being the FIRST group to have recorded at the now defunct Mushroom Recording Studio in Vancouver, Canada. Such huge hits as "Dreamboat Annie" by Heart have been created here. When the studio was torn down due to the value of the real estate it was located on, a local reporter uncovered that before the heating system was in place, The Supremes who were performing a week engagement at the "Cave" were instructed to go the The studio to record over a track.

Evidently all the studio equipment was ready to go. No doubt the women wore their mink coats to the session to keep warm. Nobody seemed to recall what vocals were put down that fateful day. By fluke Rob Frith, the owner of the long standing Neptoon Records shop responded to my comment of a signed Supremes photo given to the owner of the Cave. I mentioned the Mushroom story and Rob was very kind to share the following:

"It was still called Aragon at the time and was owed by Al Reusch. [[He built the place ) He told me that The Supremes were guesting in one episode of the tv show Tarzan. They played Nuns and did a song in the show. I think something happened to, or something had to be changed in the recording in the show so they had to re record it while they were here in Vancouver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQscfb18kro

Plus there is also this clip from the Tarzan show:

https://youtu.be/MjxuEEyXSrI

Now the mystery of this urban myth has been solved, and I've just informed Andy Skurow.
    Name:  Supremes In Vancouver #5.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  47.8 KB
    Last edited by Mark Desjardines; 04-20-2017 at 12:58 AM.

I think the Tarzan show also featured the song ANY GIRL IN LOVE [[KNOWS WHAT I'M GOING THROUGH) but was withdrawn at the last moment. Although I could be wrong about this. [[I often am.)

Original design of the habit for the episode. But withdrawn due to disagreements about the wimple. [[I think.)

Attachment 12828

Interesting story and clip

The girls finally got their lead

Wasn't Florence Ballard with the Supremes when they played the Cave in Vancouver? Wasn't when she and Mary Wilson "discovered" Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers and later told Berry Gordy about them? I've seen the pics of Mary, Flo and Diana in a park in Vancouver and a tiny brief video clip of the visit. Flo mentions them going to Vancouver in one of the Peter Benjaminson interviews. For the Tarzan Show, Cindy Birdsong appears with the group.

Maybe this was from a later visit to Vancouver by the group?
    Last edited by marv2; 04-20-2017 at 04:37 AM.

Marv2, Right you are on all the points you raise above! Some years back we had many conversations on this site sharing information about The Supremes from a Canadian point of view. Members on this site knew me as R.Mark Desjardins. Unfortunately, I forgot my password and was locked out from commenting here for quite a while. In frustration I contacted Ralph, but he was unable to uncover my original password, so re-registred me. For some reason my name was mis-spelt and an "e" got added in. Ralph joked at the time that becoming a "new" member, I became "rejuvenated" as I was no longer a "senior" member. As you can see with lots of comments under my belt, I have now rejoined that special status. LOL! I yap all all over the net, using R. Mark Desjardins. For those who curious, the "R." stands for Richard, my given birth name, which I don't care for that much. Mark is my preferred middle name. My youngest brother is named Marc and the "R." is to differentiate us. Long story involved there, but my dear late mom had no trouble! To set the record straight, The Supremes with Diana, Mary & Flo played the Cave in 1966. Diana Ross & The Supremes appeared there in 1968. I can't be sure about a 1967 booking, but the women did appear at Expo '67 in Montreal where I saw two off their six performances. Sadly I missed them in Ottawa during August of 1968, but I have posted articles from the local papers from that time and the political questions they were asked.

Interesting, and great photo -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    Marv2, Right you are on all the points you raise above! Some years back we had many conversations on this site sharing information about The Supremes from a Canadian point of view. Members on this site knew me as R.Mark Desjardins. Unfortunately, I forgot my password and was locked out from commenting here for quite a while. In frustration I contacted Ralph, but he was unable to uncover my original password, so re-registred me. For some reason my name was mis-spelt and an "e" got added in. Ralph joked at the time that becoming a "new" member, I became "rejuvenated" as I was no longer a "senior" member. As you can see with lots of comments under my belt, I have now rejoined that special status. LOL! I yap all all over the net, using R. Mark Desjardins. For those who curious, the "R." stands for Richard, my given birth name, which I don't care for that much. Mark is my preferred middle name. My youngest brother is named Marc and the "R." is to differentiate us. Long story involved there, but my dear late mom had no trouble! To set the record straight, The Supremes with Diana, Mary & Flo played the Cave in 1966. Diana Ross & The Supremes appeared there in 1968. I can't be sure about a 1967 booking, but the women did appear at Expo '67 in Montreal where I saw two off their six performances. Sadly I missed them in Ottawa during August of 1968, but I have posted articles from the local papers from that time and the political questions they were asked.
    Thank you Mark!

Hi Mark. Long time!