[REMOVE ADS]

Jimmy Ruffin "He who picks a rose"

i dont know if this has been discussed before...why did motown use the backing track of the temps "ive gotta find a way to get you back" for this version...rather than the usual one...are there any other instances of this?

Quote Originally Posted by platters81 View Post
    i dont know if this has been discussed before...why did motown use the backing track of the temps "ive gotta find a way to get you back" for this version...rather than the usual one...are there any other instances of this?
    The backing track to 'Too Busy Thinking 'Bout My Baby' by The Monitors was later used on The Temptations 'Smooth Sailing' track.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    The backing track to 'Too Busy Thinking 'Bout My Baby' by The Monitors was later used on The Temptations 'Smooth Sailing' track.
    Just a thought, wouldn't Richard Street have featured on both these tracks? He sang lead for the Monitors and I think he recorded with The Temptaions on the Solid Rock album which contained the 'Smooth Sailing' track.
    Last edited by masterblaster; 04-19-2017 at 11:53 AM.

'I Can't Go On Without You' by Tammi Terrell [[1966) used the same backing track as 'Little Bright Star' by The Supremes [[1965). Curiously, the Terrell track is credited to Faqua, Bristol and Moy whereas the Supremes track is credited to Capps and Dean, but it is the same tune!!

SHOW ME THE WAY by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas and AIN'T THE THE TRUTH by J.J. Barnes share the same backing track.

huntergettingcaptured Guest
    The more you delve into Motown, the more you'll find this sort of thing. Who knew that before Jimmy Ruffin made history with "What Becomes Of the Broken Hearted" it had actually been recorded by the Isley Brothers with entirely different lyrics? It's pretty much a simple case of the songwriter feeling that one thing or another isn't clicking with a song so lyrics get swapped, or entire music tracks are re-made into another song. I'll bet anything this sort of thing happened with a lot of other songwriters and at other record companies.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    SHOW ME THE WAY by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas and AIN'T THE THE TRUTH by J.J. Barnes share the same backing track.
    And I don't know if it's just me or not, but this is the example that shows how much a set of lyrics can make a difference. I've grown to like AIN'T IT THE TRUTH but just seems the lyrics don't "rock" with the music as well as SHOW ME THE WAY.

It has been discussed before but it's well worth airing again. Another track from the Ruffin Anthology, I Know How To Love Her, has the same backing track as the Tempts' Too Busy Thinking About My Baby, but with the same lyrics as the Tempts' No Man Can Love Her Like I do, from the Wish It Would Rain album!
    And the backing track from Marvin's Pretty Little Baby is the same as on his Purple Snowflakes.

Quote Originally Posted by huntergettingcaptured View Post
    And I don't know if it's just me or not, but this is the example that shows how much a set of lyrics can make a difference. I've grown to like AIN'T IT THE TRUTH but just seems the lyrics don't "rock" with the music as well as SHOW ME THE WAY.
    I feel the same, although I've since found that Barnes also recorded a version of SHOW ME THE WAY. I still end up liking Martha's better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEJwtMiEmfQ

I feel the same, although I've since found that Barnes also recorded a version of SHOW ME THE WAY. I still end up liking Martha's better.

Wow, a million times, WOW! Thank you for the link to the video. I agree with you, while I think J.J. is a fine singer, Martha wins this one hands down.

Then of course there's The Bells I Hear, by Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers, with the backing track from Baby I'm For Real, by the Originals

Quote Originally Posted by huntergettingcaptured View Post
    The more you delve into Motown, the more you'll find this sort of thing. Who knew that before Jimmy Ruffin made history with "What Becomes Of the Broken Hearted" it had actually been recorded by the Isley Brothers with entirely different lyrics? It's pretty much a simple case of the songwriter feeling that one thing or another isn't clicking with a song so lyrics get swapped, or entire music tracks are re-made into another song. I'll bet anything this sort of thing happened with a lot of other songwriters and at other record companies.
    I've often wondered whether or not the Isley Brothers version was truly the first version.

IIRC, when Jimmy Ruffin was asked why the intro to "WBOTB" is so long he explained that this was because of the monologue that he recorded but which was then removed from the single release. This all sounds very plausible.

Also, WBOTB seems to fit the backing track properly whereas "Smile" just seems to meander over the top of it.

So... did "Smile" really get recorded first?

And how did The Spinners feel when they didn't get to have a hit with WBOTB? [[I've read that it was originally slated for them to record.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
    I've often wondered whether or not the Isley Brothers version was truly the first version.

IIRC, when Jimmy Ruffin was asked why the intro to "WBOTB" is so long he explained that this was because of the monologue that he recorded but which was then removed from the single release. This all sounds very plausible.

Also, WBOTB seems to fit the backing track properly whereas "Smile" just seems to meander over the top of it.

So... did "Smile" really get recorded first?

And how did The Spinners feel when they didn't get to have a hit with WBOTB? [[I've read that it was originally slated for them to record.)
    I remember a Motown documentary that was on UK Channel 4 in the Eighties when Ruffin talked about the song. His story went something like... "I heard the producers working up the song and heard it was intended for the Spinners. I said 'I want that song, Bobby Smith can't sing that song'"...
    And I've got to agree on Smile. Meander is the right word, it just doesn't work
    Last edited by soulwally; 04-20-2017 at 05:39 PM.

Also, I believe the backing track on The Undisputed Truth's "You Got The Love I Need" is the same as that on The Temptations' "I Got Heaven Right Here On Earth" [[the 1967 version with David Ruffin on lead)

I had no idea that J.J. Barnes recorded "Show Me The Way"... how fascinating and brilliant! Thanks reese

J.J Barnes also co-wrote 'Show Me The Way'/ [[Tell Me) 'Ain't It The Truth', with Richard Morris and, sadly, now the late Sylvia Moy...

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I had no idea that J.J. Barnes recorded "Show Me The Way"... how fascinating and brilliant! Thanks reese
    I checked DFTMC and there isn't even an entry for J.J. Barnes' version of "Show Me The Way".....!!! It has been officially released [[on volume 3 of The Motown 7s Box) so is this a bit strange? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place!!

However, I think "[[Tell Me) Ain't It The Truth" is my favourite version of the song...

WOW, he sounds like Marvin on this one...

Is this wholesale re-writing of lyrics a case of the songwriters believing in their work but it being voted out at the Motown Quality meeting. So they went back, reworked the song and put the new version forward for consideration once again ???