[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes on The Dean Martin Show

Thanks for posting Carole. The girls sound so good during that medley at the end.

There isn't anything better than the 3 distinct voices of the Supremes blending together. OF course there are other girls groups who sounded fantastic, but the the Supremes just had that special something.

[QUOTE=detmotownguy;381704]There isn't anything better than the 3 distinct voices of the Supremes blending together. OF course there are other girls groups who sounded fantastic, but the the Supremes just had that special something.BTW thanks for posting this quality entertainment.

With such a great performance on a high profile show, I can't understand why Motown decided to pull 'Mother Dear' as a single release.

It seemed like the Supremes were on TV every week when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    There isn't anything better than the 3 distinct voices of the Supremes blending together. OF course there are other girls groups who sounded fantastic, but the the Supremes just had that special something.
    I concur. Very beautiful voices. Great harmony.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    With such a great performance on a high profile show, I can't understand why Motown decided to pull 'Mother Dear' as a single release.
    I'm not a fan of the original version, but I think it very well could have been a hit. Has there never been any reason given why they pulled it? I love the 1966 version, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'm not a fan of the original version, but I think it very well could have been a hit. Has there never been any reason given why they pulled it? I love the 1966 version, btw.
    I think it was around this time that Berry Gordy issued the edict that Motown would only release number one singles on The Supremes. Mother Dear is a catchy song and if released as a single probably would have been a hit. But it's my opinion it didn't have what it takes to reach number one.That maybe was also the view of the top brass at Motown at that time,

Agreed. A lot of folks like this song. I could never get into it.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    I think Mother Dear was pulled because the similar sounding Nothing But Heartaches tanked, in their opinion, only reaching #11 and breaking the streak of #1 chart-toppers. The push was on, as stated, to write a #1 hit.

This show, and The Red Skelton Show, which also featured Mother Dear, both aired in early 1966. At the time, I was very surprised to see them singing Mother Dear rather than their latest single My World Is Empty Without You, or even I Hear A Symphony, the previous single.

It seemed strange, at least to this teenager, that a song from More Hits, an album over 6 months old, would be featured rather than something from their current album I Hear A Symphony.

Of course, at the time, I wouldn't have known Motown's plans or interest in releasing this song as a single, although I certainly would have welcomed it.

All these years later, and with various facts emerging, it has got me thinking about the timeline of these appearances. Although aired in early 1966, I'm wondering if these shows were recorded in late-Summer or early-Fall of 1965. I recall reading back then that many of these types of variety shows, and some TV Specials, were recorded well in advance and then plugged in to the broadcast schedule, as needed.

If this were the case then featuring Mother Dear would have made sense in the hopes that it might be the follow-up to Nothing But Heartaches. Symphony was not recorded until the end of September in 1965 and My World in December 1965. So Mother Dear was probably the only option at the time.

So, my theory is that these shows were probably taped before Symphony and World were recorded and released.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmo View Post
    I think it was around this time that Berry Gordy issued the edict that Motown would only release number one singles on The Supremes. Mother Dear is a catchy song and if released as a single probably would have been a hit. But it's my opinion it didn't have what it takes to reach number one.That maybe was also the view of the top brass at Motown at that time,
    Makes sense. And I agree, hit for sure, number one probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    All these years later, and with various facts emerging, it has got me thinking about the timeline of these appearances. Although aired in early 1966, I'm wondering if these shows were recorded in late-Summer or early-Fall of 1965. I recall reading back then that many of these types of variety shows, and some TV Specials, were recorded well in advance and then plugged in to the broadcast schedule, as needed.

If this were the case then featuring Mother Dear would have made sense in the hopes that it might be the follow-up to Nothing But Heartaches. Symphony was not recorded until the end of September in 1965 and My World in December 1965. So Mother Dear was probably the only option at the time.

So, my theory is that these shows were probably taped before Symphony and World were recorded and released.
    That's probably the case.

According to the liner notes in the A' Go Go booklet, The Dean Martin Show episode was taped in August of '65, but didn't air until March 24, 1966.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    According to the liner notes in the A' Go Go booklet, The Dean Martin Show episode was taped in August of '65, but didn't air until March 24, 1966.
    Thanks. Just as I had figured, and it only took me 50 years to reach that conclusion.

Retirement is wonderful in that it allows the brain to ponder details of no real significance. Here are a few more musings from a retiree avoiding things of more immediate concern and importance:

I assume if Nothing But Heartaches had been a hit and Mother Dear released as a follow-up then this show would have been scheduled to coincide with the song's release rather than held until March. Or possibly Motown thought it could still be released as indicated by the scheduling of a reworked version to be included on A' Go-Go. [[Waiting for my CD this week.) Maybe it was fortuitous that Mother Dear remained an album cut. I wonder if You Can't Hurry Love would have had less of an impact by also using a similar "mother" theme if Mother Dear had been a previous hit single.
    Last edited by johnjeb; 04-24-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    Thanks. Just as I had figured, and it only took me 50 years to reach that conclusion.

Retirement is wonderful in that it allows the brain to ponder details of no real significance. Here are a few more musings from a retiree avoiding things of more immediate concern and importance:

I assume if Nothing But Heartaches had been a hit and Mother Dear released as a follow-up then this show would have been scheduled to coincide with the song's release rather than held until March. Or possibly Motown thought it could still be released as indicated by the scheduling of a reworked version to be included on A' Go-Go. [[Waiting for my CD this week.) Maybe it was fortuitous that Mother Dear remained an album cut. I wonder if You Can't Hurry Love would have had less of an impact by also using a similar "mother" theme if Mother Dear had been a previous hit single.
    Diana recorded her lead on version 3 of Mother Dear on March 22, 1966. Possibly because of their [[then) upcoming appearance on Dean Martin. 3/22/66 was also when Mother You, Smother You was assigned to them. Mama said "I see a theme emerging" ...

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Diana recorded her lead on version 3 of Mother Dear on March 22, 1966. Possibly because of their [[then) upcoming appearance on Dean Martin. 3/22/66 was also when Mother You, Smother You was assigned to them. Mama said "I see a theme emerging" ...
    Maybe that was also the day that Mom was cooking bread and making homemade jam!