[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

The vinyl re-up!

Yo! That vinyl re-up gets stronger as it goes on-er! Brainstorm-Stormin', Miles Davis-We Want Miles and Miles In The Sky, Jimi Hendrix-Axis Bold As Love, The Dramatics-What You See Is What You Get, and The Temptations-Live In London. The Revolution will be @ 33 and 1/3. Ya Feel me?

Average price-2.00-4.00

Brainstorm wouldnt even sound right on CD so this is great.

Damn Stephanie! That is totally true. I never even thought about it like that.

Timmy that long version of Lovin is Really My Game is probably if not the best [[opinions differ) one of the best long versions of any dance song I have ever heard. Donna Summer, and other disco people translate well to CD but there is something about Brainstorm that wouldnt its hard to explain but I think you know what I mean you have to feel it which you do or you wouldnt even have understood what I said. Im glad we think alike.

On this point, most definitely. I'm going to have Belita Woods autograph my copy the next time I see her.

Vinyl re-up part three: Throwin' Down-Rick James, Gold Soul-Various Stax recording artists, Insides Out-Bohannon, and Bread Alone-Junie. Total price: 8 dollars.

Timmy, help me out. Are you saying that those albums will be released on Vinyl? Where can we buy them?

Marv

Tim is lucky enough to be presently living where there is an active vinyl outlet, Papa Jazz, in Columbia, SC, my former
    stomping grounds. There are others, like Jai, aka arr & bee who live where vinyl is bein sold on the regular. Here in NYC
    which USED to be the vinyl capital I guess folks could make the trip to JNR which started re-selling vinyl a couple of years
    ago or poke around the village and see who's still in business. I haven't had the time in the last few years but this thread
    reminds me it make be worth the effort. Dang, I remember when I was a youngin all I had to do what put on my shoes, go
    downstairs and cross the dang street for anything I'd heard on the radio I wanted....

BTW, Tim, how is Belita doing these days?...

Vinyl sales have been steadily increasing.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Timmy, help me out. Are you saying that those albums will be released on Vinyl? Where can we buy them?

Marv
    No. These are albums that I copped recently in a bid to replenish the vinyl that I had to sell to keep money in my pocket when I first moved to SC.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Tim is lucky enough to be presently living where there is an active vinyl outlet, Papa Jazz, in Columbia, SC, my former
    stomping grounds. There are others, like Jai, aka arr & bee who live where vinyl is bein sold on the regular. Here in NYC
    which USED to be the vinyl capital I guess folks could make the trip to JNR which started re-selling vinyl a couple of years
    ago or poke around the village and see who's still in business. I haven't had the time in the last few years but this thread
    reminds me it make be worth the effort. Dang, I remember when I was a youngin all I had to do what put on my shoes, go
    downstairs and cross the dang street for anything I'd heard on the radio I wanted....
    Acutally, I'm back in NJ, Splank. I went to a record store in Red Bank that didn't really deal with prime original vinyl until now. They've been surprising me of late. Really nice looking vinyl at really cheap prices.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Vinyl sales have been steadily increasing.
    Do these kids really know the importance of vinyl, or are they getting caught up in some sort of phase? Wait and see I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    do these kids really know the importance of vinyl, or are they getting caught up in some sort of phase? Wait and see i guess.
    very good question timmy,i wrote a short time ago that i've noticed some of the youngins digging our great music but vinyl is a different thing unless they have relatives who have told them about vinyl then i think they won't dig it anywhere near as much as we do and it would be just another passing thing to them.

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    very good question timmy,i wrote a short time ago that i've noticed some of the youngins digging our great music but vinyl is a different thing unless they have relatives who have told them about vinyl then i think they won't dig it anywhere near as much as we do and it would be just another passing thing to them.
    They have way more alternatives than we had. When we were buying vinyl, the only other alternatives were 8-tracks and cassettes. Reel to reels weren't available. These kids have far more alternatives than we had.

Timmy , I'm a little confused here. Are you talking about new reissues or are you finding primo original pressings???

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    Timmy , I'm a little confused here. Are you talking about new reiIntssues or are you finding primo original pressings???
    In terms of what i'm finding, all original pressings.

they have way more alternatives than we had. When we were buying vinyl, the only other alternatives were 8-tracks and cassettes. Reel to reels weren't available. These kids have far more alternatives than we had.
    yeah...but we had far more fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    yeah...but we had far more fun!!
    No doubt. No contest.

Update on the vinyl re-up saga: Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band, Earth Wind and Fire 1st album [[original pressing, Gerry Rafferty-City to City, The Crusaders-Street Life, and George Benson-Give Me The Night. Average price: $1.99. Sonic ecstacsy for the price of a bus ride.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    BTW, Tim, how is Belita doing these days?...
    She was a little under the weather when I saw them at the Keswick Theatre a couple of weeks ago. Kendra Foster had to do her songs. I was able to get her to autograph both Brainstorm albums. She really got a kick out of seeing those albums, as did Steve Boyd when he signed two of my Five Special albums.

Vinyl re-up still in full effect:

Bohannon-Cut Loose [[as you can see, I've been on a Bohannon kick lately)

Cameo-Cameosis

Blackwell-Boogie Down

A Taste Of Honey-self titled debut LP

Kleeer-I Love To Dance

Cissy Houston-Think It Over [[12" single)

Mandrill-self titled LP

Chic-Risque

Bobby Womack-Greatest Hits

Chaka Khan-What'cha Gonna Do For Me

Funkadelic-Standing On The Verge of Getting It On [[at 8 dollars for a VG+ copy, I just couldn't let it stay in that store)

The mission ain't over. It ain't never over.

Just remember, 19 days before the big annual event,for the vinyl lovers out there !

http://www.recordstoreday.com

Vinyl re-up still in full effect:

Funkadelic-Standing On The Verge of Getting It On [[at 8 dollars for a VG+ copy, I just couldn't let it stay in that store)

The mission ain't over. It ain't never over.

If it's Westbound #1001 ,then it's a first pressing. There's also 20th Century/Westbound W-208 ,the pressing after 20th Century aquired distribution of Westbound ,in the same year of 74. The W-208 that I have has "Promotional Copy" printed on the label above the record number. Not that one is any better than the other ,it's just an observation that I had and I just thought it was interesting.
    74 was the year 20th Century Records started to make some noise in the R&B market, with the success of Barry White ,the R&B division expanded and they aquired the distribution rights for Westbound. Westbound at the time had The Ohio Players and Funkadelic , two bands that were gaining popularity as the cutting edge in the evolving Funk genre ,one Jazz based [[O.P.) ,and one Rock based [[Funkadelic). Both groups had developed a following ,that Westbound needed the advantages of 20th C.'s distribution ,to meet demand. It seemed like a deal for both companies ,but the major labels were also scoping out the R&B market and scooped up The O.P. [[to MERCURY) and Funkadelic [[to WARNER). Interesting when you look back at past events surrounding the time periods of , and the vinyl recordings that we enjoy collecting. That's also a part of the thrill of collecting and listening to music. Admit it ,or "If you don't know now you know" ,[[Biggie).

"The mission ain't over. It ain't never over."
    Sho you right , or as my motto is ,"It's the thrill of the hunt!"

My most recent adventure got me 12" by The Jacksons ,"Body" remix ,and Smoke City ,"Dreams" , both with Inst "B" sides ,for $3 each and ZULEMA"S second RCA album for $8.

If it's Westbound #1001 ,then it's a first pressing. There's also 20th Century/Westbound W-208 ,the pressing after 20th Century aquired distribution of Westbound ,in the same year of 74. The W-208 that I have has "Promotional Copy" printed on the label above the record number. Not that one is any better than the other ,it's just an observation that I had and I just thought it was interesting.
    74 was the year 20th Century Records started to make some noise in the R&B market, with the success of Barry White ,the R&B division expanded and they aquired the distribution rights for Westbound. Westbound at the time had The Ohio Players and Funkadelic , two bands that were gaining popularity as the cutting edge in the evolving Funk genre ,one Jazz based [[O.P.) ,and one Rock based [[Funkadelic). Both groups had developed a following ,that Westbound needed the advantages of 20th C.'s distribution ,to meet demand. It seemed like a deal for both companies ,but the major labels were also scoping out the R&B market and scooped up The O.P. [[to MERCURY) and Funkadelic [[to WARNER). Interesting when you look back at past events surrounding the time periods of , and the vinyl recordings that we enjoy collecting. That's also a part of the thrill of collecting and listening to music. Admit it ,or "If you don't know now you know" ,[[Biggie).

"The mission ain't over. It ain't never over."
    Sho you right , or as my motto is ,"It's the thrill of the hunt!"

My most recent adventure got me 12" by The Jacksons ,"Body" remix ,and Smoke City ,"Dreams" , both with Inst "B" sides ,for $3 each and ZULEMA"S second RCA album for $8.
    Now you know me better than that, DA. Straight up orignal Westbound copy. Aside from a reissue vinyl of Cosmic Slop, I don't have any P-Funk reissues in my collection.

Almost forgot: Gino Soccio-Dancer and Kiddo's 1st.

Vinyl re-up on the pop/rock tip: Led Zeppelin-In Through The Out Door and Eide Brickell and the New Bohemians debut album from 1988. The re-up knows no boundaries.

I picked up a rare album by a Chicago group from the eighties called Amusement Park. [[their self-titled first album for a nice price)

http://youtu.be/-TkGpCqsnIU

http://youtu.be/5ZATbO3SRVY

Next Saturday is Record Store Day ! [[I can only imagine what trouble I will get myself into) lol !

Vinyl re-update: John Coltrane-Live at the Village Vanguard [[original Impulse pressing) $5.00; Chanson-self titled LP $1.99.

Between local record stores and eBay, life is a little more enjoyable.

Vinyl re-update on Record Store Day: Earth, Wind and Fire-Spirit, Eddie Kendricks-At His Best, Soul To Soul-Original Movie Soundtrack, Blondie-Parallel Lines, Prince-HouseQuake [[12"), Vanity 6, Tony, Toni, Tone'-Feels Good [[12"). Milk crates are back in full effect.

The vinyl re-up just took a strange and unexpected turn. Went to Funk & Standard [[yes, that the name of the store) and picked up the first two Brothers Johnson albums [[original mint copies) and asked them to put Imagination-Just An Illusion and Spandau Ballet's "True" album on hold. They threw airthang together and told me to pay when I can. Then went to Jack Music in Red Bank and copped Santana's Greatest Hits, Bobby Womack's "Safety Zone", and Stevie Nicks' "Bella Donna". They threw in "London Town" by Wings for free. Still wrapping my head around this. Long live vinyl!!!!! Vinyl rules!!!!!!

Whose decision or idea was it to bring vinyl back anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Whose decision or idea was it to bring vinyl back anyway?
    I'm not really sure, but it definitely works for me.

Almost forgot: Yes-Fragile. So clean it sparkles. $1.99.

"Yes-Fragile. So clean it sparkles. $1.99."
    timmyfunk , You went there?? Thats a bad ass recording. As Martin would say , we are
    here >----< [[eye to eye) on that.

A lot of the on-line outlets have been having sales lately , like "Earthwave.com" and "Music Obsession.com

I have been collecting some 12" mixes and LP's I have been looking at but waiting for the price to drop. On -line prices can be high on some items , and you have to know what you're looking for. This is what I found this week ,@ 50% off and free shipping. I been waiting on some of these prices to drop on some items and was surprised to find some other items I didn't know existed. I'm as happy as "skeet skeet" :d:d with this order ,cause I love extendeds from TABU , Jam & Lewis and S.O.S. , accapellas and Instr versions in general of any good tracks by any artist.

Entouch-Ii Hype Edit Of Lp Vers.3:33/radio Vers. 5:38/club Dub 2:48/ 12" [[Ref: 114253) 8.40 USD
    12" vinyl, ENTOUCH: II Hype edit of lp vers.3:33/radio vers. 5:38/club dub 2:48/instrum. 6:15/lp vers. 6:15, Vintertainment 5381/white label promo/cust.sticker/'89... . - LIKE NEW condition
    --------------------------------------------
    Sos Band-Diamonds In The Raw LP [[Ref: 189816) 10.50 USD
    Tabu lp vinyl, SOS BAND: Diamonds In the Raw, Tabu 44147/'89 M-/VG++... I'm Still Missing Your Love/Goldmine/Do You Love Me?/Men Don't Cry/One Lover/Secret Wish/Hold Out/Get Out of My Life/Crossfire [[Parts I and II).
    Sos Band-The Finest [[extended/instrum./acappella) 12" [[Ref: 195923) 10.50 USD
    Tabu U.S. 12" vinyl, SOS BAND, THE: The Finest [[extended/instrum./acappella), Tabu 4Z9 05364/ps/'86 M-/VG++... . - M-/VG++ condition
    Sos Band- I'm Still Missing Your Love 12" Mix 5:18/single Mix 4: 12" [[Ref: 9501) 3.15 USD
    Tabu 12" vinyl, SOS BAND, THE: Im Still Missing Your Love 12" mix 5:18/single mix 4:30/dub vers. 6:05/tv tracks 5:22/single mix with no breaks 4:09, Tabu 4Z9 68863/'89... .
    Sos Band-No Lies Special Vers. 6:02/12Ó Dub 5:06 12" [[Ref: 9503) 5.25 USD
    Tabu U.S. 12" vinyl, SOS BAND, THE: No Lies special vers. 6:02/12Ó dub 5:06, Tabu 4Z9 06030/'86... . - LIKE NEW condition
    Labelle,patti-Somebody Loves You Baby - U.s. Promo Issue - Lp Vers./single 12" [[Ref: 85429) 5.25 USD
    MCA U.S. 12" vinyl, LABELLE, PATTI: Somebody Loves You Baby - U.S. promo issue - lp vers./single edit/instrum./suite, MCA 2074/white label promo/'91... . - LIKE NEW condition
    Mills,stephanie-Never Do You Wrong Remix Radio 4:10/remix Dub 6:42/house Clu 12" [[Ref: 107755) 5.25 USD
    12" vinyl, MILLS, STEPHANIE: Never Do You Wrong remix radio 4:10/remix dub 6:42/house club 6:30/dark stupid dub 5:35/club mix #2 5:54/drumapella 5:39/house instrum. 5:05, MCA 2528/white label promo/'93... .
    Jackson,walter-Tell Me Where It Hurts LP [[Ref: 409530) 10.50 USD
    Columbia US lp vinyl, JACKSON, WALTER: Tell Me Where It Hurts, Columbia 37132/'81 M-/VG+... Tell Me Where It Hurts/When I See You/Never Sing the Song/At Last/Living Without You/Come to Me/What If I Walked Out on You/If It's Magic. - M-/VG+ condition
    Debarge,el-El Debarge LP [[Ref: 234264) 8.40 USD
    Gordy US lp vinyl, DEBARGE, EL: El DeBarge, Gordy 6181/lyric innersl./white label promo/saw mark/'86... Who's Johnny/Secrets Of the Night/I Wanna Hear It From My Heart/Someone/When Love Has Gone Away/Private Line/Love Always/Lost Without Her Love/Thrill Of the Chase/Don't Say Its Over. - LIKE NEW condition
    Benet,eric & Terry Dexter-Spend My Life With You Buttered Soul Remix 4:36/buttered Sou 12" [[Ref: 275052) 8.40 USD
    12" vinyl, BENET, ERIC & TERRY DEXTER: Spend My Life With You buttered soul remix 4:36/buttered soul a capella 4:22, WB 9943/dj/cust.sticker/'99... .
    Debarge,el-Gemeni LP [[Ref: 177951) 12.60 USD
    Motown lp vinyl, DEBARGE, EL: Gemeni, Motown 6264/with JEFF LORBER, PAUL JACKSON JR, more/dj stamp/'89 M-/VG++ [[record/cover)... Real Love/Cross My Heart/Somebody Loves You/Broken Dreams/Turn the Page/After You/Love Life/Broken Dreams [[Think About It)/Make You Mine. - M-/VG++ condition
    Mills,stephanie-All Day All Night Radio Edit 3:59/soulpower Radio Mix 3:48/s 12" [[Ref: 104514) 5.25 USD
    12" vinyl, MILLS, STEPHANIE: All Day All Night radio edit 3:59/soulpower radio mix 3:48/stephanie n tha house mix 4:14/alternative mix 8:32/black ac mix 4:10/soulpower mix 5:13/12" mix 5:38/crazy dane mix 5:11, MCA 2486/white label promo/'92... .
    Floetry-Getting Late Radio Edit 4:04/lp Vers. 6:50/instrum. 4:50/aca 12" [[Ref: 346319) 5.25 USD
    Dreamworks US 12" vinyl, FLOETRY: Getting Late radio edit 4:04/lp vers. 6:50/instrum. 4:50/acapella 4:45, Dreamworks 14169/white label promo/cust.sticker/'03... . - M-/M- condition
    Jackson,walter-I Want To Come Back As A Song LP [[Ref: 86213) 12.60 USD
    ChiSound U.S. lp vinyl, JACKSON, WALTER: I Want to Come Back As a Song, ChiSound LA733/Õ77 M-/VG++ [[record/cover)... Baby I Love Your Way/Everything Must Change/Gotta Find Me An Angel/If You Walked Away/I Want to Come Back As a Song/Stay A While With Me/ItÕs All Over/Sorry Seems To Be the Hardest Word/What Would You Do/IÕve Never Been to Me. - M-/VG++ condition

Discount : -55.65 USD [[50%)
    SubTotal : 55.65 USD
    Shipping : 0.00 USD
    ORDER TOTAL: 55.65 USD

Waiting on The Mail Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ain't life grand? Ain't vinyl grand!?

Even though I had no intentions on buying any vinyl today, I happened to be near one of my favorite record shops and said "what the heck !" [[why did I say that ?) lol

Here's what I end up purchasing :

Main Ingredient - Afrodisiac
    Eddie Harris - Plug Me In

[[and a few 45s)
    Eddie Kendricks - Son of Sagittarius
    Joe Hinton - Funny
    James Brown - Let A Man Come In And Do the Popcorn
    I Thank You Baby - June Conquest & Donnie Hathaway
    Freddie Hughes - OO Wee Baby I Love You

all for under a dub. [[that's $20.00)

"[[why did I say that ?) lol "
    All together now sing.................."If there's a cure for this , I don't want it , don't want it , If there's a remedy,
    I'll run from it , run from it , ..................vinyl hangover , I don't wanna get over!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Great thread......

Been playing vinyl for the past three hours, feeling great. My play list would probably blow up the forum, but I played :

Gene Chandler,Walter Jackson, Rimshots, Miracles, Dramatics, Slave, War, Rick James, Mandrill, Prince, Keith Barrow, Xavier,
    George Duke, Grover Washington, Shelia E, Time, Marvin, Dells, Nina, Harold Melvin, Ojays, Lost Generation, Manhattans, Central Line, One Way.

Its been a beautiful day.......

Lately, I've been rocking the hell out of All Night Thing by the Invisible Man's Band. I really had to re-evaluate that turn of the decade 12" singles.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Timmy that long version of Lovin is Really My Game is probably if not the best [[opinions differ) one of the best long versions of any dance song I have ever heard. Donna Summer, and other disco people translate well to CD but there is something about Brainstorm that wouldnt its hard to explain but I think you know what I mean you have to feel it which you do or you wouldnt even have understood what I said. Im glad we think alike.
    Stephanie, it [["Lovin Is Really My Game") was one of the best when it came out in my opinion! I have it, as well as most of my music on vinyl! CD's never caught on with me the same way.

Lately, I've been rocking the hell out of All Night Thing by the Invisible Man's Band. I really had to re-evaluate that turn of the decade 12" singles.
    Timmy, it is so interesting you mention that song and the turn of the decade. I always thought of it and the Whispers, "The Beat Goes On" whenever I remember that time. The Invisible Man's Band were on it!!!!

Not only have I played this frequently but I also played 2nd Resurrection tonight as well.........

Marv And the beat goes on was clever but IMB was funky as hell......I simply love that record.........

You look so fine yeah
    I want yo number in my book
    Gonna take you home with me
    And get it on, all night long.......

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post

Not only have I played this frequently but I also played 2nd Resurrection tonight as well.........

Marv And the beat goes on was clever but IMB was funky as hell......I simply love that record.........

You look so fine yeah

Paladin, you talking to the choir! I bought that 12" around late November/ early Dec. 1979. I put it on the old stereo back then and wore it out! I use to have the acapella part down! I played it daily back then man. When we talk about truly great and innovative music you have to talk about them......off shoot of the Five Stairsteps or not, they were funky!

Marv

Marv went to that conversation that Timmyfunk and Stephanie had about that vinyl of Brainstorms , in another thread a while back. The album version of LIRMG is great in regards to sonics and playback , but the 12' version ,slaps the shii out of you.The thing that I love about this track is the strings. Symphonic Funk is all I can call it. From the jump ,the real strings and horns slap you in the face and then proceed to wrap themselves around you [[in 5.1 even in vinyl) ,or up in your face in stereo. The first album of this group has never been released on CD ,for what ever reason ,but if and when it is ,whom ever masters it better have his game on. It's excellent for that time periods pressing and mastering/recording ,[[still analog). This album falls into the same catagory as some other iconic albums such as ,South Shore Commission , Second Resurrection , Executive Suite ,etc. They are important projects that were part of the expansion period of R+B/SOUL music, but never released or remastered for CD relase. The fact that they only exist in original vinyl form makes them more valuable. I have 2 copies of B.S. first LP. One to play and one to play on special groove nights. My 2nd Resurrection ,is only played on special
    times .
    But what I didn't know that there was a 12' of ANT. I only have the LP. DAYUM paladin!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Timmy, it is so interesting you mention that song and the turn of the decade. I always thought of it and the Whispers, "The Beat Goes On" whenever I remember that time. The Invisible Man's Band were on it!!!!
    That has to be one of the most joyous 12" singles ever released. Give me a minute and I'll think of some others from around that time.

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post

You look so fine yeah
    If you want to get on the Whispers tip, "Let's Go All The Way" is my personal favorite. An absolute masterpiece.

Marv went to that conversation that Timmyfunk and Stephanie had about that vinyl of Brainstorms , in another thread a while back. The album version of LIRMG is great in regards to sonics and playback , but the 12' version ,slaps the shii out of you.The thing that I love about this track is the strings. Symphonic Funk is all I can call it. From the jump ,the real strings and horns slap you in the face and then proceed to wrap themselves around you [[in 5.1 even in vinyl) ,or up in your face in stereo. The first album of this group has never been released on CD ,for what ever reason ,but if and when it is ,whom ever masters it better have his game on. It's excellent for that time periods pressing and mastering/recording ,[[still analog). This album falls into the same catagory as some other iconic albums such as ,South Shore Commission , Second Resurrection , Executive Suite ,etc. They are important projects that were part of the expansion period of R+B/SOUL music, but never released or remastered for CD relase. The fact that they only exist in original vinyl form makes them more valuable. I have 2 copies of B.S. first LP. One to play and one to play on special groove nights. My 2nd Resurrection ,is only played on special
    times .
    But what I didn't know that there was a 12' of ANT. I only have the LP. DAYUM paladin!!!!
    Personally, "Hot For You" inches out LIRMG by about a hair. But I still dig it heavily.

times .
    Daddy, you ain't said a thang! Brainstorms' " Lovin Is Really My Game" was almost daily required listening at my house back in 1977. If we weren't playing it, WJLB and WGPR Detroit were ! It was just testament that long after Motown had left town, Detroit still had "it" musically speaking. Michael Henderson, the Dramatics and all of them were at the heights of their popularity, their powers!

Ok quick, who made this song "Give It Up, [[You Can Dance Forever If you Want to)"? I want to say it was by Mtume, but I can't be sure. I have 12" packed away and can't get at it. It was popular in late 1980.