[REMOVE ADS]

Bobby Taylor and The Vancouvers questions

I had a lovely dinner last night with my brother and he put on their LP who produced "grapevine"? I was surprised at how close the arrangement was to Glady's version..I had a cuckle at the back of the lp.."Produced By Berry Gordy"..still takng credit where it wasnt due no doubt..also i quickly read the back notes didnt it say Diana and Berry saw them live and thats how they got signed? yet Ive read elsewhere that Flo and Mary saw spotted them..the sound of the LP reminded me of J5s first lp are any of the same studio musicians on it? cheers in advance

Back in the 90s, Mary Wilson and Bobby Taylor appeared on the Joan Rivers Show, and Bobby said that she discovered him. I haven't seen the show in years. But I believe Mary said that she and Flo went out one night to the club where they saw Bobby and the Vancouvers perform. They stayed out too late, and thought they were going to get in trouble with Berry. But they turned Berry on to the Vancouvers instead.

According to Tommy Chong, the Vancouvers actually played on that album. THE IDEA WAS TO TRY AND CAPTURE HOW THE BAND SOUNDED LIVE.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 01-18-2011 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I had a lovely dinner last night with my brother and he put on their LP who produced "grapevine"? I was surprised at how close the arrangement was to Glady's version..I had a cuckle at the back of the lp.."Produced By Berry Gordy"..still takng credit where it wasnt due no doubt..also i quickly read the back notes didnt it say Diana and Berry saw them live and thats how they got signed? yet Ive read elsewhere that Flo and Mary saw spotted them..the sound of the LP reminded me of J5s first lp are any of the same studio musicians on it? cheers in advance
    Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard discovered them while out at a club one evening in Vancouver. They told Berry and Motown about them.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Back in the 90s, Mary Wilson and Bobby Taylor appeared on the Joan Rivers Show, and Bobby said that she discovered him. I haven't seen the show in years. But I believe Mary said that she and Flo went out one night to the club where they saw Bobby and the Vancouvers perform. They stayed out too late, and thought they were going to get in trouble with Berry. But they turned Berry on to the Vancouvers instead.
    That's how it was. Thanks Reese

Simon

How do you get your brother to play a Motown LP? Mine keeps playing Status Quo!

What are you listening to Xtown "Pictures of Matchstick Men....LOL? Bobby Taylor has always been somewhat of a mystery to me when they have Motown reunions he is either not invited or you dont see him. I would think with his history behind the J5 he would be more visible.

I prefer CHEECH AND CHONG.....Paulo xxxx

Steph

I suspect you need to meet him to understand why. I say no more!

...and that Status Quo track is "Down Down"!!!

We have them every Xmas in Brighton. They just WONT go away..AWFUL unless you enjoy watching 60 plus headbangers making pratts of themeselves..Paulo XXXX

This girl I know at the gym called Sylvia [[she's even older than me!!) bops away to their greatest hits album every session. When we talk, I warn her that if she dont turn off her player, I'll have to reach for my medication. HAHA

Hey Paulo, careful with those headbangers, if they drive around on scooters, then it might be my brother!

They do! They do!.....