[REMOVE ADS]

Why the new a go go?

Am I correct in assuming that the new expanded release consists of alternate versions of a go go songs and all Diana leads except for Come and get these memories [[as before)? I'm trying to decide why/ if to buy it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Am I correct in assuming that the new expanded release consists of alternate versions of a go go songs and all Diana leads except for Come and get these memories [[as before)? I'm trying to decide why/ if to buy it. Thanks
    It will have the original mono and stereo mixes remastered along with previously unreleased alternate vocals, different versions and new mixes. Definitely buy it. A' Go-Go hasn't been issued on CD in the US since the 80's 2-fers and these will sound much cleaner and fresh. Support these releases.

Support these releases for sure.

If we don't support them, you can be sure the public isn't going to be buying many of them and we will end up getting nothing.

After all the complaints on this Forum over the lack of physical releases, I can't believe people would not support this release.

If this is regarded as unsuccessful, it could be the last one.

Jobeterob, thanks for your post. I concur.

Just changing topic slightly I was adamant about not buying non-physical releases; however, just a month ago I opened an ITUNES account and bought the "funny girl," "we remember sam cooke," and "supremes sing country, western and pop" and am very happy with these purchases. The quality of each recording is fantastic so if the way of the world continues to go this way I felt I better get on the band wagon so to speak.

Do I still want physical releases -- yes! But, just from the experience I recently had with ITUNES I will go that route if that is the only option.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Support these releases for sure.

If we don't support them, you can be sure the public isn't going to be buying many of them and we will end up getting nothing.

After all the complaints on this Forum over the lack of physical releases, I can't believe people would not support this release.

If this is regarded as unsuccessful, it could be the last one.
    Perfectly stated. Though it's only dollars that, in the end, really make 'record company' decisions, it is indeed unfortunate that a certain contingent of an artists' fans [[and this is not meant as a statement pertaining to anyone here) are ALWAYS unhappy with vault releases. As a major fan of Dylan and Springsteen I see similar dissatisfied responses from a segment of the fan base.

I dont understand how anyone could be disappointed in the Springsteen vaulted tracks....there were some good stuff hidden away. I quite enjoy them myself :-)

Isn't it the job of the record companies to please the fans? If I like the car and it's options and it's mileage I buy it. If not I don't. Even though I tend to buy from one car co. If I don't like the model I don't get it.

Andy Skurow and George Solomon are true blue, dyed-in-the-wool Supremes fans and past packages have given the fans exactly what we wanted and what was there to give. On their integrity alone it's worth buying this set. A Go-Go is not my fav Supremes lp, it doesn't hold up as well to me because most of the tracks were cut in LA, but to insure that we get future packages, and maybe more quickly, we ALL should buy a couple of these.

Isn't it the job of the record companies to please the fans? If I like the car and it's options and it's mileage I buy it. If not I don't. Even though I tend to buy from one car co. If I don't like the model I don't get it.
    The "job" of the record companies is to sell commodities to a large audience that consists mostly of people that are not "the fans." If RCA had wanted to please the fans of Aretha Franklin, they would not have released Aretha Franklin Sings the Great Diva Classics consisting of generic cover versions of easily recognizable songs drowning in a bombastic production, but a soulful album of well selected songs [[either standards or original material) that really do justice to the artistry of Aretha. The fanbase of artists like Aretha and Diana is too small for niche products. Only artists like Bob Dylan are "big" enough for the record companies to release that kind of new material [[like his new TRIPLE-disc album Triplicate). Universal did a great job with Diana's Blue, releasing vault material that was not only pleasing the fans, but also reached a far bigger audience.

That said, I wish record companies would try to be a bit more daring and release product that is less generic and still could be commercially successful. We don't have to be "grateful" to Universal for releasing the expanded edition of The Supremes A Go Go, but I'm definitely happy with it [[and buying it)--and I am grateful to Andy, George and Harry for treating the Motown archive with such care and devotion, which probably is not the most easiest thing to do in such a corporate and commercial world as Universal.
    Last edited by Jaap; 04-14-2017 at 04:40 AM.

It bears repeating: everyone should buy MULTIPLE copies of "Supremes A' Go-Go: Expanded Edition" when it is released in two weeks. The question of quality is not the issue here as regular visitors here [[and buyers of previous product) know what hard work Andy and George do in producing these sets and how terrific their results have consistently been on each set.

That said, the bottom line is this: if you want to see "Sing Holland-Dozier-Holland: Expanded Edition" and beyond in their catalog, you MUST buy this set! Yes, MUST. Every release has now become a bellwether for the next and future releases and the only way we will see more releases [[on any Motown artist) is if the sales number stay strong.

Honestly, I'm not quite sure why this topic question was even asked...unless it was intended to generate more conversation about the release or, worse, to create some kind of argument about what is or isn't included. Bottom line: buy TWO or more copies of this release. Don't like it? Sell it on eBay. Love it? You have a [[second) clean copy for your collection OR to give to a friend who should [[finally) discover the album.

Intelligent well reasoned posts from Jaap and Dan as well as the others

Fans not supporting major Motown releases makes no sense at all

huntergettingcaptured Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    It bears repeating: everyone should buy MULTIPLE copies of "Supremes A' Go-Go: Expanded Edition" when it is released in two weeks. The question of quality is not the issue here as regular visitors here [[and buyers of previous product) know what hard work Andy and George do in producing these sets and how terrific their results have consistently been on each set.

That said, the bottom line is this: if you want to see "Sing Holland-Dozier-Holland: Expanded Edition" and beyond in their catalog, you MUST buy this set! Yes, MUST. Every release has now become a bellwether for the next and future releases and the only way we will see more releases [[on any Motown artist) is if the sales number stay strong.

Honestly, I'm not quite sure why this topic question was even asked...unless it was intended to generate more conversation about the release or, worse, to create some kind of argument about what is or isn't included. Bottom line: buy TWO or more copies of this release. Don't like it? Sell it on eBay. Love it? You have a [[second) clean copy for your collection OR to give to a friend who should [[finally) discover the album.
    I had not really thought about buying 2 of any CD, but reading your remarks, I think I am going to do just that with this CD. Every little bit helps and if that shows that these titles are very popular and ensures we continue getting them, then it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    I dont understand how anyone could be disappointed in the Springsteen vaulted tracks....there were some good stuff hidden away. I quite enjoy them myself :-)
    I feel the same way, and of course we always have the option to simply not buy a title we are not happy with! I think with some fans there's always an 'I know more than you' competitive mentality and they will always think that the 4th version of the 3rd song on the 5th night was better than the 7th take of the 9th song on the 1st night, and so on ... I agree with you and add that to my taste both Dylan and Springsteen have both done great jobs in selecting vault material to release.

While I love the enthusiasm for the new set, I'm not willing to tell grown folks what they should do with their money. In answer to Luke's question I will say if you liked A GoGo a lot and you're at all interested in alternate versions of songs, buy the set. If your budget is currently open to allow for frivolous purchases, buy the set whether you're dying to have it or not, because as it's been pointed out, the success of this set could determine the chances of whether or not we get follow up expanded editions in the future. But if you can't justify the expense for something you think may not be worth your time, skip it. Times are hard for some and neither Diana Ross, Mary Wilson, Berry Gordy nor Universal are hurting for money, so fans shouldn't be shamed into forking over anything if it's not worth it to them. I plan to buy the download as I find physical copies a headache these days. If that makes or breaks this set, tough cheese. I got bills.

Yes for sure individual circumstances dictate what you spend and what you buy.

But still if the committed fans don't support the releases, who will?

And we all are always clamouring for more.

Why must everything be an argument? If you have ever at any point liked The Supremes, Diana Ross and the Supremes, Diana Ross, and/orThe "New" Supremes, supporting these releases is a no-brainer.

$25? Really? That's a hardship?

A Go Go Expanded will have the clearest, sharpest Mono AND Stereo sounds with AN ENTIRE DISC of unreleased material. Plus all the bitching and complaining from forum members about physical format alone should compel you to buy it. If not, then get the H off this forum. No true Supremes fan would pass up an opportunity in this day and age to get an Expanded Edition of A-Go Go. Or anything else. If you haven't noticed, they aren't recording any more.

Like! lol - now that man made his point clear

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Why must everything be an argument? If you have ever at any point liked The Supremes, Diana Ross and the Supremes, Diana Ross, and/orThe "New" Supremes, supporting these releases is a no-brainer.

A Go Go Expanded will have the clearest, sharpest Mono AND Stereo sounds with AN ENTIRE DISC of unreleased material. Plus all the bitching and complaining from forum members about physical format alone should compel you to buy it. If not, then get the H off this forum. No true Supremes fan would pass up an opportunity in this day and age to get an Expanded Edition of A-Go Go. Or anything else. If you haven't noticed, they aren't recording any more.
    So true. We all have been bitching and moaning about more expanded releases and now that we have a release date of a physical release some are debating if they should buy it or not? This is so insane! And for someone to say they find physical releases a headache these days. What the hell does that mean?

I can't see why any Supremes/Motown fan who can afford it wouldn't buy it. I might have to wait for British release because of the bad exchange rate.

Thanks RanRan. I was appreciating the input from others until the Motown Police came out but you put it well!!

I'm one of the younger generation who has wholeheartedly embraced the digital age. So CD, digital [[either Lossless, or Lossy, my ears honestly can't tell the difference), to me it makes absolutely no damn difference. Besides, I almost never play anything on CD anymore. I still have my iPod Classic which I use to listen at home and in my car, so essentially anything I get on CD gets immediately ripped into iTunes, and put back on the shelf never to be used again -- though I will pull out liner notes and read from time to time.

I get that people are used to things one way, i.e. CD, and there's no argument that sonically they're superior to iTunes lossy audio files. But the fact that many releases are also released in HD digital FLAC audio these days means there's really no excuse to not support artists, even if digital formats are the only option. For me at least, the packaging comes second to the music. That's what I look forward to most with these releases. They do such an amazing job that I will support them wholeheartedly, no matter what format future releases take.

Forgive my ignorance, what's the difference between "lossy" and "lossless"...?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, what's the difference between "lossy" and "lossless"...?
    Lossless formats, like FLAC or WAV files, are basically uncompressed files that keep all the digital information, maintaining CD quality, in a slightly reduced file size. Lossy formats like MP3 or MP4 introduce compression which allows the file size to be significantly reduced, at the cost of losing some digital "information" which leads to degraded sound quality, depending on the bitrate of the file.

Hope that helps a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    Lossless formats, like FLAC or WAV files, are basically uncompressed files that keep all the digital information, maintaining CD quality, in a slightly reduced file size. Lossy formats like MP3 or MP4 introduce compression which allows the file size to be significantly reduced, at the cost of losing some digital "information" which leads to degraded sound quality, depending on the bitrate of the file.

Hope that helps a bit.
    Thank you so much Emile, that is incredibly helpful! I now understand the difference between digital download and CD!! Thank you

Thanks DJMoch for your youthful tech brilliance.

A Go-Go is my least fav '60's Supremes album. The only thing good about it are the two amazing original singles, especially 'Itching'. As I already have it on the UK 2-fer from early 2000's I will pass on this as I have better things to spend my money on.

It's not about 25 dollars being a hardship. It's about having priorities, which I realize in today's society is becoming a lost art. I don't count other folks money. I don't know what any one fan's monthly expenses look like. In this world where people are finding it difficult to pay for food, shelter and medication, I am not so out of touch that I would have the nerve to scoff at 25 dollars even being a hardship for someone. These are the muthaf'n Supremes we're talking about. They shouldn't be anyone's priority. And I'm a true, die hard Supremes fan, and you damn right, if I had something more important that needed a 25 dollar attention from me than this damn album, well Supremes A GoGo could go screw itself. How you can ask the question "why must everything be an argument" and then follow that up with such an argumentative statement like "no true Supremes fan..." is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    So true. We all have been bitching and moaning about more expanded releases and now that we have a release date of a physical release some are debating if they should buy it or not? This is so insane! And for someone to say they find physical releases a headache these days. What the hell does that mean?
    As the person who said it I'll tell you exactly what the hell it means. First of all I've moved into the digital age. I realize not everyone else has, and that's cool, but I have. I'm accustomed to my ipod. I'm accustomed to listening to music on my laptop. I'm accustomed to plugging my ipod into the car and rolling down the street listening to whatever I have programmed in, without dragging tons of cds to the car and fiddling around with them, trying to find what I'm in the mood for, damn near having an accident because I'm not keeping my eyes on the road. Is that a problem for you, that I prefer digital to physical? Am I thrown out of the Supremes fan club because I love my Ipod? Is this Trump's Soulful Detroit now? Cuz y'all doing too much.

Thanks RanRan. I was appreciating the input from others until the Motown Police came out but you put it well!!
    No problem Luke. This is my first brush with the Motown Police so I'm a bit taken aback. They have the wrong one in custody if this is the shit that's going down.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    As the person who said it I'll tell you exactly what the hell it means. First of all I've moved into the digital age. I realize not everyone else has, and that's cool, but I have. I'm accustomed to my ipod. I'm accustomed to listening to music on my laptop. I'm accustomed to plugging my ipod into the car and rolling down the street listening to whatever I have programmed in, without dragging tons of cds to the car and fiddling around with them, trying to find what I'm in the mood for, damn near having an accident because I'm not keeping my eyes on the road. Is that a problem for you, that I prefer digital to physical? Am I thrown out of the Supremes fan club because I love my Ipod? Is this Trump's Soulful Detroit now? Cuz y'all doing too much.
    You really need to calm down and take a pill or something. I don't care if you don't care for cds anymore. I ain't going to loose any sleep over it. Don't buy The Supremes A Go Go but don't complain in the future about no more expanded Motown releases! By the way digital only gives me a headache!! And also if you can't afford this CD I fully understand!
    Last edited by vgalindo; 04-17-2017 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    You really need to calm down and take a pill or something. I don't care if you don't care for cds anymore. I ain't going to loose any sleep over it. Don't buy The Supremes A Go Go but don't complain in the future about no more expanded Motown releases! By the way digital only gives me a headache!! And also if you can't afford this CD I fully understand!
    Vgalindo I was as calm writing my post as you were writing yours. You asked the question "what the hell does that even mean" and I answered it. It was like you took what I said about cds personally. Digital only gives you a headache, hey I can get with that! LOL It took me a little longer than my peers to see the appeal of digital, so trust me, I know where you're coming from. It's just now I'm at a place where the convenience of digital makes my life easier and I'm loving it. I never said I wasn't buying A Go Go, in fact I specifically said I would. I only answered Luke's question by giving him options, because I'm not of the idea that fans are required to purchase anything. Yes these purchases help, but I'm not going to dog anyone out for not doing it and that was how some of the other posts came across to me. I think we should allow fans to make their own decisions without ridicule.

Vgalindo I was as calm writing my post as you were writing yours. You asked the question "what the hell does that even mean" and I answered it. It was like you took what I said about cds personally. Digital only gives you a headache, hey I can get with that! LOL It took me a little longer than my peers to see the appeal of digital, so trust me, I know where you're coming from. It's just now I'm at a place where the convenience of digital makes my life easier and I'm loving it. I never said I wasn't buying A Go Go, in fact I specifically said I would. I only answered Luke's question by giving him options, because I'm not of the idea that fans are required to purchase anything. Yes these purchases help, but I'm not going to dog anyone out for not doing it and that was how some of the other posts came across to me. I think we should allow fans to make their own decisions without ridicule.
    Ranran79, my original reply wasn't intended to be directly to you. I apologize for any offense. Here on the forum, we've been listening to people [[not you) complain bitterly on and on for years at a stretch about NOT buying a Hip-OSelect expanded editions for this reason or that, usually because they weren't physical releases. Now people are complaining about physical releases. Given that employees from Universal occasionally read these threads, it makes me [[and others) worry that Universal won't release anything if the fans don't buy it.

Ranran79, my original reply wasn't intended to be directly to you. I apologize for any offense. Here on the forum, we've been listening to people [[not you) complain bitterly on and on for years at a stretch about NOT buying a Hip-OSelect expanded editions for this reason or that, usually because they weren't physical releases. Now people are complaining about physical releases. Given that employees from Universal occasionally read these threads, it makes me [[and others) worry that Universal won't release anything if the fans don't buy it.
    Sorry Ranran79. My sentiments are exactly what thanxal just said. I apologize.

Ranran79. I understand. Sorry for getting offensive. Have a great day.

Vgalindo and Thanxal I appreciate your apologies. I also share your concerns that more releases may be stunted if A Go Go isn't successful. But I think people are really going to purchase this. I have faith this release will be a success.