[REMOVE ADS]

huntergettingcaptured Guest

Martha & The Vandellas- Never Leave Your Baby's Side. Where is the original 45 Mix?

https://youtu.be/P5-_7D7wzP8

One thing that has ALWAYS perplexed me about this one song: why hasn't the original 45 mix, the ENTIRE song, ever made it onto a CD? This song has made it onto 4 different CDs and yet, none of them is the mix we hear on the 45. The only one close is the mix on the 50th Anniversary release, and even then, that one cuts off the Hi-Hat cymbals at the very start. I know the other CDs, even the Complete Singles mix are odd mixes that sound like we're only getting one channel of a stereo mix. I'm sure there has to be a very interesting story behind this Staunton/Walker production [[but then again, those Staunton/Walker productions are always interesting in and of themselves.) For this video, I just went straight to the source and used my 45. Staunton and Walker always had drums that THUNDERED!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/P5-_7D7wzP8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't know how I never realized/knew YOU are "tomovox" on YT! You have always made great videos!

Quote Originally Posted by huntergettingcaptured View Post
    https://youtu.be/P5-_7D7wzP8

One thing that has ALWAYS perplexed me about this one song: why hasn't the original 45 mix, the ENTIRE song, ever made it onto a CD? This song has made it onto 4 different CDs and yet, none of them is the mix we hear on the 45. The only one close is the mix on the 50th Anniversary release, and even then, that one cuts off the Hi-Hat cymbals at the very start. I know the other CDs, even the Complete Singles mix are odd mixes that sound like we're only getting one channel of a stereo mix. I'm sure there has to be a very interesting story behind this Staunton/Walker production [[but then again, those Staunton/Walker productions are always interesting in and of themselves.) For this video, I just went straight to the source and used my 45. Staunton and Walker always had drums that THUNDERED!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/P5-_7D7wzP8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    There was a glitch on the initial runs of Martha & the Vandellas 50th Anniversary set involving the intro to "Never Leave Your Baby's Side". It has been corrected [[and I have one of the corrected copies) and is the only reissue of the song [[that I know of) to feature the entire track in it's original mix. And yes indeed, it's one the very best songs that Martha & Co. did during the '60s.

Shit and i forgot to get the corrected cd :-[[

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    I don't know how I never realized/knew YOU are "tomovox" on YT! You have always made great videos!
    lol! Thanks for a great compliment! I love doing those and I really appreciate that you like them!

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    Shit and i forgot to get the corrected cd :-[[
    Just what I was thinking too! I've got to find that CD!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    There was a glitch on the initial runs of Martha & the Vandellas 50th Anniversary set involving the intro to "Never Leave Your Baby's Side". It has been corrected [[and I have one of the corrected copies) and is the only reissue of the song [[that I know of) to feature the entire track in it's original mix. And yes indeed, it's one the very best songs that Martha & Co. did during the '60s.
    Thank you very much for that info! It's funny that over the years, this is the one song that seems to come out on CD in every version except the true 45 mix until the 50th Anniversary release- even then, there still that glitch! It's pretty fitting that it would be a Staunton/Walker production too! Always clouded in mystery, lol!

This problem goes back a very, very long way. When the single was first released in the UK, the wrong tape was reputedly sent over even then. I've never heard a copy of the actual original US 45 to be able to compare the two.

That song was a killer. I have one of the original 45s and the corrected CD. LOVE IT.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    This problem goes back a very, very long way. When the single was first released in the UK, the wrong tape was reputedly sent over even then. I've never heard a copy of the actual original US 45 to be able to compare the two.
    Interesting...your reply shows another instance where one song has been the source of so much confusion, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by sgianatos View Post
    That song was a killer. I have one of the original 45s and the corrected CD. LOVE IT.
    Hopefully I'll find that corrected CD too.

Could this song possibly been considered for The Vandellas " Dance Party " album? Kinda reminds me of "Motoring"!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitspride View Post
    Could this song possibly been considered for The Vandellas " Dance Party " album? Kinda reminds me of "Motoring"!
    It's possible that "Never Leave Your Baby's Side" was considered for Dance Party. I also think it was considered for Watchout! [[since it has the phase "watchout" repeated throughout the song).