[REMOVE ADS]

The dynamics - ice cream song [[rare clip 1969)

Sorry slight tape interference towards the middle of tune but thought some would still like to see it

Oh I remember this one. A Detroit classic!

First time that I've heard this song. I like it! It's got a Smokey Robinson feel to it.

My name is Ernest Fudge and I am and have been the lead singer of the Dynamics since 1974. I was sweating the old days they called the Dynamics utility man. Which meant that I sub for anybody in the group vocals when needed. We were all friends when the Dynamics will call the Monarch's. Myself and Sam Stevenson are the only members left, but Sam is a preacher now he quit it 69. I am putting the group back together with some younger guys in their 40s to 60s. And what I would like to do is start some dialogue about the knowledge I had concerning the Dynamics. Hopefully that will help get our name back out there. If you like to help me do this I would really appreciate it.

Ernest, welcome to Soulful Detroit! It is great to hear that you are reforming the Dynamics. Were you guys originally out of Philly?

I don't remember hearing that before. Why oh why did they stop making records that sounded that good?

I have the 45 on Cotillion, it was a big hit in Orlando.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Ernest, welcome to Soulful Detroit! It is great to hear that you are reforming the Dynamics. Were you guys originally out of Philly?
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  21.1 KB
    As far as I know, The original Dynamics were from Detroit. They were in high school when they first got together. They first recorded for Ernie Stratton, as I remember.

Were all their replacement members from Philadelphia? I don't know much about their career after 1970.

There WAS a Dynamics group in Philadelphia during the early-to-mid 1960s. But they were unrelated to the Detroit group, as far as I know. I don't recall any two groups from far-away different cities, whose members joined up together later in their careers, keeping the same group name. That would be an interesting trivia question.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 625
    As far as I know, The original Dynamics were from Detroit. They were in high school when they first got together. They first recorded for Ernie Stratton, as I remember.

Were all their replacement members from Philadelphia? I don't know much about their career after 1970.

There WAS a Dynamics group in Philadelphia during the early-to-mid 1960s. But they were unrelated to the Detroit group, as far as I know. I don't recall any two groups from far-away different cities, whose members joined up together later in their careers, keeping the same group name. That would be an interesting trivia question.
    Robb, what would we ever do without YOU? Thank you! I did get confused a bit because the recorded posted here was so strongly popular in Detroit at the time, but years later I lived in Philly and I am sure I heard about them on the various oldies shows there.

Views: 675

Dynamics' members:

• Isaac "Zeke" Harris
    • George White
    • Fred Baker
    • Samuel Stevenson
    • Zerben R. Hicks

As far as I know these members were all from Detroit.
    Their first producer, Detroiter, Ernie Stratton, leased their productions to New York's Big Top Records[[1963-65, and later, put them out on his own, Detroit-based, Top Ten Records[[1966). After that[[1967-69) they were produced by Detroit producer, Jack Ashford's Pied Piper Productions, leased to RCA. Then, [[1969-71) they were managed by Aretha Franklin's husband Ted White, who had Aretha with Atlantic. So White got them a deal with Atlantic's Cotillion Records. After that, White got them a deal with Detroit's own Black Gold Records [[1973-75). All their production companies were Detroit based [[even though they recorded in Memphis for Cotillion. I'm sure that they kept their residences in Detroit during that whole period.

Hi!

According to the book "Soul Harmony Singles 1960-1990", there were six different Dynamics that have released records. The information in that book isn't always very accurate, because it was based on the information that was available at the point of the release of the book.

Bob McGrath's "Soul Discography" lists three groups, including the ones that recorded in Nashville and New York.

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi!

According to the book "Soul Harmony Singles 1960-1990", there were six different Dynamics that have released records. The information in that book isn't always very accurate, because it was based on the information that was available at the point of the release of the book.

Bob McGrath's "Soul Discography" lists three groups, including the ones that recorded in Nashville and New York.

Best regards
    Heikki
Views: 637
    There was also The Dynamics from Philadelphia, and the L.A. group on Em Jay Records. There was also a guitar instrumental group on a small Texas label.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I don't remember hearing that before. Why oh why did they stop making records that sounded that good?
    It's on their first album on Cotillion. The main lead singer is Isaac "Zeke" Harris but on this Temptations' cover it's Fred Baker :

there was a group called Emory & the Dynamics that I saw on a package show but I can't recall their record. I think they were based out of Atlanta.

Hi!

Soul Harmony Singles lists:
    - The Dynamics on the Brainstorm label
    - the group on Dynamics/Reprise/Big Rop /RCA/Cotillion/Better/Black Gold and Columbia
    - on Fortune
    - on SAA-Ce
    - on Top Ten; and here they also refer to the Dramatics, which is a mistake

Also:
    - Jules Johnson & the Dynamics
    - Jay P. Robinson & the Dynamics
    - Emory & the Dynamics [[on Peachtree, William Bell's label, and later as the Four Dynamics)
    - Freddie & the Dynamics
    - Jake & the Dynamics

Best regards
    Heikki

Wow,very nice,sounds like something the temps would've done back in the day with david on lead.

I found a 45 of "The Ice Cream" song at my grandparents house in the 90s. I liked both sides of the single a lot and played them both quite a bit. I still have it. It's great to see this performance!

All of this Dynamics originated in the south in different states. All Except one dynamic , Isaiah Harris, grew up on the Eastside of Detroit. I'm 72 now and I knew all of the Dynamics at the age of 10 years old. We all lived within one block of each other on the east side south of Jefferson Avenue near Chalmers Street. None of us was born or hung out in Philadelphia. The Dynamics was put together from two groups the Monarch's and the Fourth Estate., I will be glad to answer any questions anyone may have.

There's a little bit of information you have that is not true. My name is earnest fudge and starting from 1960 I was the utility man for the Dynamics,,that means that at least 1/4 of the songs done by the Dynamics in the early days my voice was on it. They're details and I'll tell them to you if you wish to know. Zerben Hicks, we all grew up together, was never a member of the Dynamics. There are details to that too. We were all born in southern States and migrated to Detroit. Our first official band was called them Royal Playboys. The lineup for the Dynamics on the changed once, so there would not many changes as it has been said on these sites. There's much more info if you'd like to know.also if you don't know exactly where the utility man was in groups back in the day I'll let you know if you contact me.

There's a little bit of information you have that is not true. My name is earnest fudge and starting from 1960 I was the utility man for the Dynamics,,that means that at least 1/4 of the songs done by the Dynamics in the early days my voice was on it. They're details and I'll tell them to you if you wish to know. Zerben Hicks, we all grew up together, was never a member of the Dynamics. There are details to that too. We were all born in southern States and migrated to Detroit. Our first official band was called them Royal Playboys. The lineup for the Dynamics on the changed once, so there would not many changes as it has been said on these sites. There's much more info if you'd like to know.also if you don't know exactly where the utility man was in groups back in the day I'll let you know if you contact me. And Zeke's first name was not Isaac it was Isaiah.

Views: 257
    Heikki, that confusion between The Dynamics and The Dramatics was on Ed Wingate's Wingate records in 1966. It was The [[Ron Banks') Dramatics' first record. The Dynamics were much better known then. So, apparently, the printers used by Columbia Terre Haute [[Indiana) pressing plant thought "Dramatics" was a misprint, and really The Dynamics. So they printed "The Dynamics" on the first pressing load. Wingate's changed it when the discovered the error. But, there were about 3 times as many of the misprint spelling pressed than the correct one, as the song didn't sell.

Hi Robb!

Yes, the first 500 copies had that misprint.
    I'll enclose the scan of the article with Ron Banks' account on that single, based on my interview in the Dramatics Story.

Best regards
    Heikki
    Attached Images Attached Images