[REMOVE ADS]

honest man Guest

Any idea whats left in Motown Vaults

Hello lovely people been playing my Motown unreleased today and it hit me how much stuff we have had released from the vaults [are we lucky] anyway we know Hitsville worked around the clock but surely with all the singles ,albums -unreleased we must be getting to the bottom[sadly] just wondered if anyone in the know could give a rough pc on situation,lastly been playing Tammi solo and wondered if Marvin recorded full solo versions of songs before mixing with Tammi Two can have a party-memory chest etc would love to know if his solo versions are vaulted .just a thought any responce appreciated,cheers.

I don't think I would ever want to know if we were getting close to the bottom. Lol

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  21.1 KB
    There should be about 10 Linda Griner cuts not yet released. I think there are some 1972 cuts by Gwen Owens that haven't yet been released. I think there are still a couple of Creations' cuts from 1962 and 1963 [[but, maybe they've been lost? There are still some recordings that were just Jobete Music demos, that Universal Motown doesn't know if the artists were signed to Motown when the recordings were made, such as "All I Have Left Are Memories" by Sammy Turner [[backed by probably The Serenaders) from 1964, plus 3 Serenaders' cuts from 1964 [[which, luckily, have been released on a non-Motown Serenaders multi-label anthology - bootlegged?). I'd love to have a CD out of just Jobete Music demo cuts that Motown can't prove ownership, like "I Misjudged You" by The Parliaments, and, perhaps some Tamala Lewis and Roy Handy cuts from 1963-64.

But, whenever we think they've almost scraped the bottom of the barrel, another super almost unknown Brenda Holloway, Carolyn Crawford or Kim Weston cut surfaces. I expect that to keep happening, periodically.

honest man Guest
    Thank you Robb yes i have those tapes somewhere they are early Motown.Was thinking more 64-70 ,we have had many anthologies on artists and wondered if maybe a couple of songs left from main artists Tempts-Marvin etc and maybe more from Originals-Spinners etc ,Any ideas appeciated,cheers

2 songs that come to mind are The Temptations version of Ivy Jo Hunter 's I Can Feel The Pain. Ivy's was the B-side to I'd Still Love You in 1971. Ivy used the 1967 track that was used on the Temptations. Then another one is the Four Tops first version of Mary Wells Old Love [[Lets Try It Again). The tops put their vocals on the track used for the Martha and the Vandellas which was on their Come and Get These Memories album.

The three Serenaders songs that remain unreleased according to dftmc.info are Change of Pace, I'll Be Lonely, and Tears, Nobody, and a Smile.

Does anyone know of how I can obtain the bootleg release that might include these? What is the name of it?

The Temptations first Copa Appearance in 1967 I believe is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    The three Serenaders songs that remain unreleased according to dftmc.info are Change of Pace, I'll Be Lonely, and Tears, Nobody, and a Smile.

Does anyone know of how I can obtain the bootleg release that might include these? What is the name of it?
    Where did you get the information from.

Tears, Nobody And A Smile is on this CD ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Serenaders-G...MAAOSwa~BYSbkP

Tons of multitrack sessions chock full of alternate takes and other hidden gems to discover. Unfortunately they'll likely never see an official release
    Last edited by kje71; 04-11-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Tears, Nobody And A Smile is on this CD ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Serenaders-G...MAAOSwa~BYSbkP
    Golden Oldies - Serenaders

Label: ESSENTIAL MEDIA GROUP MOD
    Format: CD MOD
    Release Date: 25 Nov 2014
    No. of Discs: 1

Album Tracks

1. Give Me A Girl
    2. Dance Darling Dance
    3. Never Let Me Go
    4. I Wrote A Letter
    5. Adios, My Love
    6. Two Lovers Make One Fool
    7. Mom And Pop
    8. The Wonder In My Heart
    9. My Love
    10. Only Mine
    11. Tears, Nobody And A Smile
    12. I Wrote A Letter [[Alternate Version)

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by biggestfourtops fan View Post
    2 songs that come to mind are The Temptations version of Ivy Jo Hunter 's I Can Feel The Pain. Ivy's was the B-side to I'd Still Love You in 1971. Ivy used the 1967 track that was used on the Temptations. Then another one is the Four Tops first version of Mary Wells Old Love [[Lets Try It Again). The tops put their vocals on the track used for the Martha and the Vandellas which was on their Come and Get These Memories album.
    Good to hear that info especially Temptations songs,yes i have the 4 tops singing Old Love on Motown Sings on Hippo would love the original backing tracked version of this song as 2nd sounds quite vegas,but all in all a good tune, forgot to mention studio tracks only,not interested with live no matter how good only so many times i can bear Millie Rose 100mph medleys bore the kecks of me,thanks for responses as always ,cheers.

Views: 495
    Here's a link to listen to "Tears, Nobody, and a Smile"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IMe...lsmNSWhEscBsEm

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 495
    Here's a link to listen to "Tears, Nobody, and a Smile"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IMe...lsmNSWhEscBsEm
    I listened to this song and thought it was a good effort. I went into the Amazon.com website to check on the Golden Oldies CD by the Serenaders
    and was surprised to see that "this product is manufactured on demand when ordered from Amazon.com." That is interesting but I usually avoid buying things manufactured on demand. What do other forum members think of this MOD?

I listened to this song and thought it was a good effort. I went into the Amazon.com website to check on the Golden Oldies CD by the Serenaders
    and was surprised to see that "this product is manufactured on demand when ordered from Amazon.com." That is interesting but I usually avoid buying things manufactured on demand. What do other forum members think of this MOD?
Views: 456
    The quality of sound of "Tears, Nobody, And a Smile" taken from the CD, on You -Tube seems to be good, as does that of each of the other Serenaders' cuts taken from The CD. I have some qualms about whether or not the Motown cuts from the CD were authorized from the current owners. But, as Motown doesn't claim ownership of "Tears, Nobody, And a Smile", its ownership would have reverted back to George Kerr [[or his estate- or whoever inherited it - or bought the rights). So, perhaps Kerr's children had the CD made. It is a combination of The Serenaders' releases on Chock Full of Hits/MGM Records from 1959-60 [[plus 2 unreleased cuts), Riverside Records from 1963-64 [[including one unreleased cut [["Only Mine"), and with only the one Motown [[unclaimed) cut from 1964. Their other Motown
    recordings are still claimed by Universal/Motown [[except 2 others which are unreleased). But the quality of those 2 other unclaimed cuts is far below that of "Tears, Nobody, And a Smile". So, the producers of the anthology CD probably decide to leave those 2 off the CD.

Also the long long long awaited releases of the Blinky and Ivy Jo Hunter albums.