[REMOVE ADS]

CD Reissue: The 4 Tops 'Nature Planned It'

Elemental has recently issued the last Motown LP by the 4 / Four Tops [["Four" on the spine, "4" on the cover ...), the 1972 'Nature Planned It'. Though technically a bare-bones reissue [[no extra tracks) Elemental has created a must-have release for Motown, Tops, and 70s soul music fans.

This reissue comes in a glossy, fold-out reproduction of the original LP's cover and insert. The sound is [[to me!) superb with 'just right' separation of tracking.

'Nature Planned It' was also the LP's lead single, and the follow-up semi-cover 'Hey Man / We Gotta Get You A Woman' [[by Todd Rundgren) got a good amount of airplay here in the Newark / NY area's AM soul stations. It is that extended track that caused me to purchase this CD, and I am not disappointed.

The LP is a mix of ballads and up-tempo material, with Tops renditions of Motown-lp-popular title 'Happy [[Is A Bumpy Road'.

Levi Stubbs is majestic as always and the instrumentations are excellently produced by the great Frank Wilson who is probably at fault for the major problem I have with this LP, which is the lack of singing by the other Tops. Backing vocals are frequently mixed low, or feature [[probably) the Andantes instead of the Tops.

In closing I can highly recommend this elegantly produced [[and, according to a sticker on the cover, limited edition) CD to fans of well-made CD reissues. Dusty Groove sold out 3 times before I got my copy!

Does anyone know how the sound on this release compares to the Motown CD release from 1992?

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Does anyone know how the sound on this release compares to the Motown CD release from 1992?
    I regret that I don't; I have not heard the '92 release -

Hi PnH, this is indeed a fantastic album by the legendary Four Tops! I don't have the CD reissue but I do have it on download and it sounds great as well!!!

My favourite track has to be "I'll Never Change", a slice of pure Motown gold [[from 1972!)... and it just happens to be the B-Side of the last Four Tops' single for Motown [[in their first stint). The upbeat, jazzy "You Got To Forget Him, Darling" is fantastic, it too harkens back to that classic Motown sound. I also love "Walk With Me, Talk With Me, Darling" and "Happy [[Is A Bumpy Road)". Oh, and "I Am Your Man" is a beautiful slow number, possibly the best ballad The Tops ever recorded. And then there's the groovy, laid back, and gorgeous "[[It's The Way) Nature Planned It". It's really just a marvellous album, and a marvellous production by Frank Wilson.

And, PnH, that point about The Tops' backing vocals being lowered in the mix is an interesting one. I hadn't thought about or noticed it before. Let me have another listen and get back to you!

Thanks for the notice on the release of this CD which I have just ordered. I bought the album on vinyl last year as it was the only Tops studio album I didn't have. However, the digital transfer wasn't very good as I couldn't elemental any of the track hiss and clicks which were really evident on the quieter tracks.
    Really love 'I Am Your Man' and 'Walk With Me, Talk With Me' which had elements of the old Tops 60s sound. Great album and should have been a bigger hit at the time of release, but I suppose it didn't get the marketing as the group were about to leave the label.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    And, PnH, that point about The Tops' backing vocals being lowered in the mix is an interesting one. I hadn't thought about or noticed it before. Let me have another listen and get back to you!
    Hmmm... I suppose they are a bit quiet, but not too bad IMO. And Frank Wilson can use The Andantes' vocals with The Tops any day, because the combination is just heavenly!!

I was listening to this album today. "You Got To Forget Him" sounds a lot like a jab at HDH's Chairmen of the Board. Especially Levi's Gen. Johnson-esque stutters.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    I was listening to this album today. "You Got To Forget Him" sounds a lot like a jab at HDH's Chairmen of the Board. Especially Levi's Gen. Johnson-esque stutters.
    You know, jboy, I hadn't even noticed that before but now you mention it you're completely right. Levi's lead is very General Johnson-esque. Just as I can imagine The Tops singing "Give Me Just A Little More Time", I can see The Chairmen singing "You Got To Forget Him, Darling"....

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hmmm... I suppose they are a bit quiet, but not too bad IMO. And Frank Wilson can use The Andantes' vocals with The Tops any day, because the combination is just heavenly!!
    Could be a 'me' thing; I'll give it another listen. Would be interesting to know if the original LP release has the same vocal balance. The Tops have such a masculine sound and I missed that on my first listening to this excellent reissue! I like your individual song comment as well -