[REMOVE ADS]

One More Heartache = One More Masterpiece

Hi all,
    I have always LOVED this song by Marvin Gaye. His vocal delivery, the Andantes SUPERB background and the lead guitar are breathtaking.

And here is, apparently, an alternate mono take:

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Hi all,
    I have always LOVED this song by Marvin Gaye. His vocal delivery, the Andantes SUPERB background and the lead guitar are breathtaking.

Love it... along with its 'sister' songs, Ain't That Peculiar, I'll Be Doggone and Take This Heart Of Mine, from the amazing Moods of Marvin Gaye album, one of Motown's best. Stand up Smokey, Marv Tarplin, Pete Moore, Bobby Rogers and Ron White, whose creation they were.

Love it! Has that "Ain't That Peculiar" vibe to it. I also love [[even more) "Take This Heart Of Mine" and "Hey Diddle Diddle"... great uptempo tunes!!!

Man, I love Marvin's "One More Heartache", too, Gary! [[I prefer the mix that you listed as the "Alternate Mono" mix.) And you're so right -- The Andantes' back-up vocals are dynamite on it!

It's like he's singing about something going on in the moment. His vocals always convey so much emotion. Some singers approach singing so technical, like they're simply singing and nothing else. This man is feeling these lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Man, I love Marvin's "One More Heartache", too, Gary! [[I prefer the mix that you listed as the "Alternate Mono" mix.) And you're so right -- The Andantes' back-up vocals are dynamite on it!
    I actually prefer the stereo mix, partly because it's the one I've heard the most and it's grown on me. The vocal delivery also seems more "experimental" in the alternate take.

Would you believe "One More Heartache" is my least favourite Marvin Gaye single. To me the lead guitar sounds ugly and out-of-place, yet I love "I'll Be Doggone", "Ain't That Peculiar" and "Take This Heart of Mine".

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Would you believe "One More Heartache" is my least favourite Marvin Gaye single. To me the lead guitar sounds ugly and out-of-place, yet I love "I'll Be Doggone", "Ain't That Peculiar" and "Take This Heart of Mine".
    And I don't like "I'll Be Doggone" or "Take This Heart of Mine". We dig what we dig and we don't what we don't. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    And I don't like "I'll Be Doggone" or "Take This Heart of Mine". We dig what we dig and we don't what we don't. Lol
    Agreed, but it's just so weird that I like every Marvin Gaye 60s A-side except this one.

I like "One More Heartache" but it isn't my favourite Marvin tune. I like "I'll Be Doggone" very much too. I love "Take This Heart Of Mine". And I LOVE "Ain't That Peculiar"....!

"One More Heartache" however was redeemed by its b-side, the wonderful "When I Had Your Love".

When I hear this, it reminds me of my school mate who was so excited after buying the Motown Magic album.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Moto...elease/2332212

Aaaah! Motown Magic...

I remember I had to order that 'LP' from the local record shop, and await it eagerly. It certainly didn't disappoint....

The band on 'One More Heartache' play it dark and haunting, in a minor, jazz key...while the vocals would be 'get happy' gospel, but for the meaning of the lyrics.

The whole tone of it represents an attempt to lift the spirits, and not succeeding.

And there are some Motown recordings which are particularly distinguishable by the sax break.....and 'One More Heartache' is one of them.....

It's a pity there's no way for me to hear OMH without Marv Tarplin's guitar riff to see if I'd like it then.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Agreed, but it's just so weird that I like every Marvin Gaye 60s A-side except this one.
    Yeah, I guess it would seem strange if you like every A side but this one. Lol