[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: The Stylists

The Stylists

I discovered this group today and there is next to nothing about them online! I believe they only ever had one single released, on Motown's VIP label, entitled "What Is Love" b/w "Where Did The Children Go?" produced by Pete Moore and Terry Johnson. I like both sides very much and hope there is more unreleased material in the vaults!

Anyway, does anyone know anything more about this group? They are fascinatingly obscure...!! Thanks

According to the Motown Encyclopedia, The Stylists [[not to be confused with The Stylers) were a Detroit group who The Miracles Warren Moore saw performing live. He got them a Motown contract and produced both sides of their only single. The Sylists disappeared in 1972 and seemingly to avoid confusion with The Stylistics emerged a year later as The Naturals on the main Motown label. Thanks to Graham Betts who also used to contribute to this site and has a lot to do with the Hallmark label [[and their Motown flavoured releases I think).

Thanks mysterysinger! I like their single as The Naturals too.

I don't suppose the members of the group are known?

I had never heard of this group or "What Is Love" but I like it. Thanks for the introduction Tom!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I had never heard of this group or "What Is Love" but I like it. Thanks for the introduction Tom!
    No problem RanRan! I just love the obscure groups.

And I believe you are a relatively new member to Soulful Detroit...? I must wish you a happy introduction to the forum!! It's really great here, isn't it?

"What Is Love" is fantastic... it has that early '70s Miracles smooth soul feeling about it...

I apologise if the video doesn't work [[it doesn't for me!)

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Thanks mysterysinger! I like their single as The Naturals too.
    Their lone single as The Naturals was "The Good Things [[Where Was I Love Passed By)" b/w "Me And My Brother" written and produced by Nick Zesses and Dino Fekaris

John Barnett formed the group and drafted in Edward Arrington Jr [[this might be of interest maybe https://www.reverbnation.com/musician/edwardarringtonjr

and this CD maybe
    https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/eajr

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    John Barnett formed the group and drafted in Edward Arrington Jr [[this might be of interest maybe https://www.reverbnation.com/musician/edwardarringtonjr

and this CD maybe
    https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/eajr
    Wow, thank you. That is very interesting...

from Reverbnation [[by Edward Arrington):
    I have been recording and writing music since the early 70's. My first recording was a hit record, produced by Sir Charles Mathews for the Soul Village Choir [[Talk to me sometimes). Before I came to new york, I worked with a group in Detroit on the Motown label directed by John Barnett, named The Stylist, which later changed there name to the Naturals.

from CDbaby:
    In 1971 Edward left Ohio and went to Detroit, Michigan looking for a brighter future. He was then asked to join the recording group the "Stylist" directed by John Barnet. The "Stylist" was a back-up group, that worked for Motown records. They sang background on most of the Motown recordings, such as "War" recorded by Edwin Starr. They later had their own single released, and Edward became bandleader and guitarist for the group the "Stylist".

Apparently John Barnett was a fast food restaurant manager. He formed and directed The Stylists. Guitarist and singer Edward Arrington was drafted in as the group's band leader.

I guess there were more members who are as yet unknown?!

Try this one

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Try this one
    Yes, that one works! Thank you soulwally. I love it. I can really imagine Smokey Robinson or Terry Johnson singing it too!

No problem RanRan! I just love the obscure groups.

And I believe you are a relatively new member to Soulful Detroit...? I must wish you a happy introduction to the forum!! It's really great here, isn't it?
    Thank you Tom, yes it is great here!

I tried listening to Edward Arrington's 2003 CD African Sunset to see if I could recognise his voice but unfortunately the entire album is instrumental!! Apart from a few featured vocalists, that is.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  21.1 KB
    So, "F. Bursey" must be one of the other group members.

I don't think Fiery Bursey was a member of The Stylists - the indications are that he was involved through a partial songwriting credit. TCMS Volume 11a has a write up on him with regard to the single [[presumably because they couldn't dig up much on The Stylists). Apparently Fiery's dad was a barber who was well known and used to style Jackie Wilson's hair. Fiery was a later member of The Ink Spots and is active on Facebook.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 04-01-2017 at 10:09 AM.

I found this SDF thread which seems to suggest that "F. Bursey" was "Fleury Bursey" and that he wrote a few other songs as well:

http://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/6...tml?1009662650

On this album he gets writing credit for a couple o' tracks:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-...elease/5356172
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 03-31-2017 at 08:03 PM.

I found this SDF thread which seems to suggest that "F. Bursey" was "Fleury Bursey" and that he wrote a few other songs as well:

http://soulfuldetroit.com/archives/6...tml?1009662650

On this album he gets writing credit for a couple o' tracks:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-...elease/5356172
    TomatoTom, I think you'll find that his first name was Flery Burse´y i.e. not Fleury, as is stated in this old thread. Perhaps that may be why you're having some difficulty in tracking down info on him.

Quote Originally Posted by motownjohnny View Post
    TomatoTom, I think you'll find that his first name was Flery Burse´y i.e. not Fleury, as is stated in this old thread. Perhaps that may be why you're having some difficulty in tracking down info on him.
    Ah! Thank you johnny. Yea, I wasn't finding much about "Fleury Bursey".

I just searched for "Flery Bursey" and there appears to be a lot more info!

An additional question: how do you say "Flery"...? I've never heard that name before...