[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Diana Ross's Record Deals after 2002

I was wondering about Diana Ross's recording situation, contract-wise, after she parted ways with Motown in the early 2000's.

I remember that in 2004 interviews Diana said record companies were not interested in her and that Clive Davis would not return her phone calls.

She said that in a 2004 interview. In the same interview, the interviewee said that she looked like a 30-year-old woman at 60 and both laughed-, I've saw it in Youtube years ago but the video was removed. Diana also said that radio stations would play only her old records like "Baby Love".

I know that Diana had trouble selling records in U.S. in the 1990's but I think her situation, in terms of record deals, is far difficult to explain after Motown let her go.

Anyone has some insight about the reason she faced so much adversity to score a record deal after 2002?

I wonder too what really happened between her and Clive Davis.
    Last edited by Nitro2015; 03-31-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Easy - how many 60 year olds have active recording contracts? Unfortunately that's the biz; it's no statement against Diana Ross, one of the most beloved and successful singers ever. As to Clive, who knows. He makes some asinine decisions. He can sell records but most for the past 10 years are crappy jukebox albums. Davis has not yet released 'dead people singing virtual duets with other dead people of other dead peoples' songs with choral backgrounds by the Morman Tabernacle Choir' but give him time!

It was my understanding Clive wanted to sign Diana, but she refused because he wanted control over her recording. Instead we got her "gem" called I Love You.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    It was my understanding Clive wanted to sign Diana, but she refused because he wanted control over her recording. Instead we got her "gem" called I Love You.
    Circa 1824, your version of events sounds right including your characterization of "I Love You."

I'm glad she didn't end up with Clive. I Love You is way better compared to Aretha's Sings the Diva Classics album.

I think Diana's obstacles in scoring a record deal after 2002 come down to two things: historical record sales and executive creative control over her music. Most of her 90s albums did not sell well initially. I would be curious to know what the numbers are now, after the various reissues in Japan and around the world, I'm sure the numbers are much higher now. However, at the time of release, I read that Everyday Is A New Day sold a total of 75,000 copies, even with the promotion/publicity on Oprah, Double Platinum, RTL, etc. It's a huge risk for a big label to take on any artist who has had a recent track record for lower sales numbers and then also give them total creative control over the project.

I'm sure if Diana had danced to Clive's wishes, he would have had her do an album similar to Aretha's...covers of songs that everyone knows and loves. It guarantees a solid number of sales due to the artist name recognition and the name recognition with the songs...but how cliché is that? When it comes to music, Diana is a real artist. She chooses material wisely...songs that she believes in. She would rather do it her way or not at all. I believe that's why she has had no deal or new music.

Doin it her way at RCA didn't really pay off. Aretha did a number of albums with Narada and Luther and Lauryn Hill too
    Last edited by luke; 03-31-2017 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I'm glad she didn't end up with Clive. I Love You is way better compared to Aretha's Sings the Diva Classics album.

I'm sure if Diana had danced to Clive's wishes, he would have had her do an album similar to Aretha's...covers of songs that everyone knows and loves. It guarantees a solid number of sales due to the artist name recognition and the name recognition with the songs...but how cliché is that?

But even without Clive, Diana did exaclty that with the "I Love You" album. This is the question.

It's not really clear to me what really happened between Clive and Diana. And I don't know if Diana would be so unrealistic in 2004 to demand 100% of control in doing an album for a big company. As every artist, she would have her needs and demands, but I don't buy that after so many low-selling U.S. albums, she would be that inflexible.

I think that, somehow, Clive didn't want to work with Diana.

And, about "I Love You", I don't think it's a bad album. Diana's voice is a lot different [[it did lost that youthful exuberance that she had until the late 1990's), and the production of the songs is really bland, but the album has its sparkle.
    Last edited by Nitro2015; 03-31-2017 at 07:38 PM.

I think Diana's obstacles in scoring a record deal after 2002 come down to two things: historical record sales and executive creative control over her music. Most of her 90s albums did not sell well initially. I would be curious to know what the numbers are now, after the various reissues in Japan and around the world, I'm sure the numbers are much higher now. However, at the time of release, I read that Everyday Is A New Day sold a total of 75,000 copies, even with the promotion/publicity on Oprah, Double Platinum, RTL, etc. It's a huge risk for a big label to take on any artist who has had a recent track record for lower sales numbers and then also give them total creative control over the project.

I'm sure if Diana had danced to Clive's wishes, he would have had her do an album similar to Aretha's...covers of songs that everyone knows and loves. It guarantees a solid number of sales due to the artist name recognition and the name recognition with the songs...but how cliché is that? When it comes to music, Diana is a real artist. She chooses material wisely...songs that she believes in. She would rather do it her way or not at all. I believe that's why she has had no deal or new music.
    Exactly. And, really, though the conjecture is fun other than Diana and Clive no one knows what may have occurred. Re: 'I Love You', it's a decent LP that I listen to every now and again, and to bring some clarity to the discussion of the LP it's worth noting that it sold [[according to SoundScan) about 235,000 copies worldwide which certainly far exceeds anything Diana's M'town peers for the same decade excepting Stevie Wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    ...it's worth noting that it sold [[according to SoundScan) about 235,000 copies worldwide which certainly far exceeds anything Diana's M'town peers for the same decade excepting Stevie Wonder.
    Good point. Many artists and even genres go through cycles in popularity with the general public. I would argue that if Diana released an album now, it would perform significantly better, sales-wise, than all of the albums she's released in the last 30 years. Just gaging the general public on social media, she seems to get a lot of love these days from everyone. Her Facebook page is well over one million followers. She has entered the legendary era of her career and people respect that now, more than ever, which is why she continues to do so well with her tours. It's too bad that no one is approaching her with record deals, because I would think it would be a lucrative endeavour. Artistically and musically, she still has so much to offer.

Good point. Many artists and even genres go through cycles in popularity with the general public. I would argue that if Diana released an album now, it would perform significantly better, sales-wise, than all of the albums she's released in the last 30 years. Just gaging the general public on social media, she seems to get a lot of love these days from everyone. Her Facebook page is well over one million followers. She has entered the legendary era of her career and people respect that now, more than ever, which is why she continues to do so well with her tours. It's too bad that no one is approaching her with record deals, because I would think it would be a lucrative endeavour. Artistically and musically, she still has so much to offer.
    Agreed all around! There are Diana albums I would love her to record, but I think she's lost interest in recording.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Agreed all around! There are Diana albums I would love her to record, but I think she's lost interest in recording.
    Let me clarify this once and for all. Diana continues to get offers of record deals and has done so for the past few years. There are a couple of labels that want her to record "standards" albums in the vein of the great American Songbook. This is what Clive Davis had her in mind for. He made Diana a more than decent offer for a 4 album deal which she came quite close to signing, but she felt that the market was already over flooded with veteran artists putting this type of album out so she backed out at the last minute. Davis has subsequently returned with similar offers.
    She has also been offered deals to record more "current" material with the younger and trendy producers which is of much more interest to her, but here is the stumbling block. Diana would have to travel around the world to promote the product and then undertake an extensive world tour. Those are the conditions, and Diana does not feel like she wants to take on such a commitment at this stage in her life. She is happy to tour the USA and undertake the occasional private gig overseas, but she enjoys spending time with here family and does not want to be away for months at a time. She does not need the money, and she is unlikely to change her stance on this. Alicia Keys wrote some songs specifically for Diana whilst Will i am has expressed a desire to write and produce for her as have Nile Rogers and Pharrell Williams. Justin Timberlake attended one of her gigs last year and practically begged Diana to let him write and produce for her to no avail. It is very unlikely to happen folks, and the only person who can make this happen is Diana herself, but she will not agree to the conditions. I hope this clears up the matter once and for all. My advice? Enjoy her back catalogue and enjoy the occasional unreleased songs on the expanded editions. The forthcoming Ross78 looks especially interesting.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Let me clarify this once and for all. Diana continues to get offers of record deals and has done so for the past few years. There are a couple of labels that want her to record "standards" albums in the vein of the great American Songbook. This is what Clive Davis had her in mind for. He made Diana a more than decent offer for a 4 album deal which she came quite close to signing, but she felt that the market was already over flooded with veteran artists putting this type of album out so she backed out at the last minute. Davis has subsequently returned with similar offers.
    She has also been offered deals to record more "current" material with the younger and trendy producers which is of much more interest to her, but here is the stumbling block. Diana would have to travel around the world to promote the product and then undertake an extensive world tour. Those are the conditions, and Diana does not feel like she wants to take on such a commitment at this stage in her life. She is happy to tour the USA and undertake the occasional private gig overseas, but she enjoys spending time with here family and does not want to be away for months at a time. She does not need the money, and she is unlikely to change her stance on this. Alicia Keys wrote some songs specifically for Diana whilst Will i am has expressed a desire to write and produce for her as have Nile Rogers and Pharrell Williams. Justin Timberlake attended one of her gigs last year and practically begged Diana to let him write and produce for her to no avail. It is very unlikely to happen folks, and the only person who can make this happen is Diana herself, but she will not agree to the conditions. I hope this clears up the matter once and for all. My advice? Enjoy her back catalogue and enjoy the occasional unreleased songs on the expanded editions. The forthcoming Ross78 looks especially interesting.....

is she interested in recording anymore?
    Last edited by marv2; 04-04-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    is she interested in recording anymore?

"Originally Posted by marv2 October 2016
    I don't even go into most Diana Ross threads on here."

LOLOLOL

Makes sense.

How old is Clive Davis now? Is he still active?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Makes sense.

How old is Clive Davis now? Is he still active?
    Mr Clive Davis is 85 years old and still real active and sharp. Ive always respected him and I comend him for coming out of the closet as a openly gay gentleman a few years ago.

Fondly,

Roberta

Alicia Keys wrote some songs specifically for Diana whilst Will i am has expressed a desire to write and produce for her as have Nile Rogers and Pharrell Williams. Justin Timberlake attended one of her gigs last year and practically begged Diana to let him write and produce for her to no avail.
    I'm happy she is not doing those "standards" albums--but wow, would be great if she would work with Alicia Keys and do a low-key soul album. That would be such a better "end" to her recording career than the "I Love You" album [[although good to hear some really like the album, sounds to much like a karaoke production to me--great voice though!).

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    I'm happy she is not doing those "standards" albums--but wow, would be great if she would work with Alicia Keys and do a low-key soul album. That would be such a better "end" to her recording career than the "I Love You" album [[although good to hear some really like the album, sounds to much like a karaoke production to me--great voice though!).
    I think one, maybe two, albums of exceptionally produced standards would be great, especially if she chose more of the ones that aren't constantly done. But a "low-key soul" album would also be a great idea. "I Love You" was good but the sound on some of the cuts was definitely karaoke.

If Diana were to record some standards albums, I would want them to be along the lines of Diana Sings Stevie Wonder, Diana Sings Smokey Robinson, Diana Sings Ashford & Simpson, Diana Sings Bacharach & David.... See where I'm going with this?

I always appreciate your insight Bluebrock. Thank you for your response. I have a question you may be able to answer. Is there any possibility the Harold Arlen project will ever be released. I assume Diana owns the masters and with the interest in her back catalogue [[vaulted catalogue included), I assume the release would be welcomed. Are you familiar with the sessions?

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    If Diana were to record some standards albums, I would want them to be along the lines of Diana Sings Stevie Wonder, Diana Sings Smokey Robinson, Diana Sings Ashford & Simpson, Diana Sings Bacharach & David.... See where I'm going with this?
    Absolutely fantastic idea! I think the public would really get into Diana covering Stevie or Smokey, but all of those are excellent options. I think someone in another thread mentioned something about Diana and Smokey doing something together. Now that might generate a ton of attention. Smokey would be the perfect duet partner for her at this stage of her career. Her voice hasn't held up as well as I would have hoped, being that I'm a huge fan of her vocal skills, but there was a period in recent years where she sounded almost horrible. Not sure what was going on before, but recent clips I've seen of her in concert it seems like her voice is getting back into good shape. But with the age induced voice changes, I think she would need a duet partner like Smokey. He's not going to try to compete with her and she's not going to feel the need to compete with him. If those two do this thing right, it could potentially be a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Doin it her way at RCA didn't really pay off.
    With the exception maybe of the 20 million $$$ she took home when she signed, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    With the exception maybe of the 20 million $$$ she took home when she signed, LOL.
    Touche marybrewster. LOL

Fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    It did not pay off for RCA which is partly the reason she does not have a contract now. Made no real money for Motown either the second go around........

It did not pay off for RCA which is partly the reason she does not have a contract now. Made no real money for Motown either the second go around........

LOLOLOL

If this were true, I have a hard time believing that either of the parties involved [[especially Miss Ross), would divulge the details of failed contractual negotiations. For someone who refuses to identify themselves, you post a lot of B.S.

To add on to my last post, if you were for real, you wouldn't be posting all of these secret details on a public forum, regardless of your self professed anonymity. A business professional would be bound to a confidentiality agreement and would not risk posting endless details on a public forum in regards to contracts, music projects, etc., etc., because their client[[s) would eventually be able to connect the dots and identify who they are. So if you are for real, shame on you, and if you are not for real, shame on you again.

Quote Originally Posted by helga View Post
    To add on to my last post, if you were for real, you wouldn't be posting all of these secret details on a public forum, regardless of your self professed anonymity. A business professional would be bound to a confidentiality agreement and would not risk posting endless details on a public forum in regards to contracts, music projects, etc., etc., because their client[[s) would eventually be able to connect the dots and identify who they are. So if you are for real, shame on you, and if you are not for real, shame on you again.
    Ah hummmmm.......... Thank you Helga.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post

LOLOLOL
    Ms. Roberta, to be fair to Marv, he did say "most" and as far as I can tell he doesn't appear in "most" Diana threads.

Quote Originally Posted by helga View Post
    If this were true, I have a hard time believing that either of the parties involved [[especially Miss Ross), would divulge the details of failed contractual negotiations. For someone who refuses to identify themselves, you post a lot of B.S.
    Don't we hear about failed contract negotiations all of the time from the industry? Why would Diana's and Clive's be any different?

mpn1jco Guest
    The standard agreement for contract negotiations in the entertainment industry stipulate that information disclosed during negotiations:
    • is confidential;
    • should only be used for a stated specific purpose;
    • should not be shown to anyone other than certain permitted persons; and
    • should be returned or destroyed if the deal does not go ahead.

There are infinite problems for disclosing negotiations. What if another high profile artist wanted to work with Clive for a similar project and Clive said gave a polite denial such as " We don't have the budget right now." However, he was pursing another high profile artist for mulit million dollar deals. This could substantially or permanently damage relations with this artist and their camp.

If Clive pursued an artist for a deal and they went elsewhere with a similar project and it bombed, then it could be perceived that his judgment was poor and he is 'losing his touch'. "What was on his mind attempting to sign a washed up has been for that amount of money? "

Information is leaked all the time. Elvis was supposed to be in a Star Is Born with Streisand for example.

However, It is highly unusual for a major artist to authorize such claims to be freely broadcast in public forums on their behalf by an anonymous individual. Then again it may be a most unusual day. I always trust people who do not identify themselves as a rule of thumb.

I only hope that at age 73 that I will have the stamina to maintain Ross' rigorous touring schedule, particularly touring non-stop, squeezing in world tour dates also, for almost 11 years! Most people would be content to spend time with their families at her age. Keep on Ross, you are truly an inspiration!
    Last edited by mpn1jco; 04-04-2017 at 09:55 PM.

mpn1jco Guest

LOLOLOL

It is April 2017 so evidently he changed his mind. What is the point?
    Last edited by mpn1jco; 04-04-2017 at 09:29 PM.

she and Clive are still friends.thou as someone else has posted hes 85 now so sadly his executive days have really passed - he threw a pre Grammy bash in her honour a few years back [[Feb 11th 2012) which was sadly marred by the news that Whitney was dead in a hotel room upstairs.....

In reality I am not sure Diana even wants a contract or record deal. I am sure to most fans that is what we would like to see but I think Diana has found that place in her career and life that she is happy just doing Diana.

mentioning Clive on this thread reminded me how he wrote a blistering attack in Billboard [[?) on the Academy Awards for refusing to nominate "Do You Know Where Your Going To ? [[Theme from Mahogany) for best song..which left the music industry shocked and caused a re- think for the Academy..whats more surprising was she wasnt even on Arista ! he went to bat for the competion.....

Bluebrock, I appreciate your insights but I have a hard time believing this. It's easy to find 2004 interviews with Diana saying things like "Nobody wants me". She made very public at the time the total disdain and rejection record labels in U.S. were having for her.

I find hard to believe that she was being offered multiple deals by Clive Davis and, at the same time, publicly complaining about the lack of interest of the music industry in her.

In other occasions, like Oprah 2011 and the Grammys 2012, she said she would love to record new music, but didn't elaborate the reasons why she wouldn't record new material. It makes sense the fact that she refuses the 360°'s types of deals.

I know you are much more aware than me of the real reasons Diana is retired of the recording industry, but some things are still strange...

mpn1jco Guest
    When I Love You was released, Ross talked about how difficult it was for her to secure a record deal as a veteran artist. She also discussed the industry's treatment of veteran artists; putting them out to pasture. On the final Oprah, Ross said she would really like to be recording a new album "BUT THEY WON'T LET ME." Ross also gave interviews discussing her frustration with her rejection by the record industry, stating it was like a puppy pissing on your flower garden. Also discussed by Ross was the possibility of having to go the independent route since the majors didn't want her., but said she said didn't want to do that. Patti Labelle has been similarly as outspoken on how the industry treats veteran artists. I admire for Ross for being so honest about her dilemma rather than pretend she was rejecting lucrative offers left and right. For other veteran artists rejected by the music industry she let them know they were not alone, and it took courage to do that.
    Last edited by mpn1jco; 04-04-2017 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    In reality I am not sure Diana even wants a contract or record deal. I am sure to most fans that is what we would like to see but I think Diana has found that place in her career and life that she is happy just doing Diana.
    Nah, she's not happy. She wants to make more money.

Quote Originally Posted by mpn1jco View Post
    When I Love You was released, Ross talked about how difficult it was for her to secure a record deal as a veteran artist. She also discussed the industry's treatment of veteran artists; putting them out to pasture. On the final Oprah, Ross said she would really like to be recording a new album "BUT THEY WON'T LET ME." Ross also gave interviews discussing her frustration with her rejection by the record industry, stating it was like a puppy pissing on your flower garden. Also discussed by Ross was the possibility of having to go the independent route since the majors didn't want her., but said she said didn't want to do that. Patti Labelle has been similarly as outspoken on how the industry treats veteran artists. I admire for Ross for being so honest about her dilemma rather than pretend she was rejecting lucrative offers left and right.
    Why doesn't she just put out her own music and sell it online? She afford to do that. Prince did it. Heck even Mary Wilson and Martha Reeves have done that. Record some songs and sell them direct.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    mentioning Clive on this thread reminded me how he wrote a blistering attack in Billboard [[?) on the Academy Awards for refusing to nominate "Do You Know Where Your Going To ? [[Theme from Mahogany) for best song..which left the music industry shocked and caused a re- think for the Academy..whats more surprising was she wasnt even on Arista ! he went to bat for the competion.....

Yeah I remember the song "I'm Easy" won by Keith Carradine. That was 40 years ago and I remember! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mpn1jco View Post
    When I Love You was released, Ross talked about how difficult it was for her to secure a record deal as a veteran artist. She also discussed the industry's treatment of veteran artists; putting them out to pasture. On the final Oprah, Ross said she would really like to be recording a new album "BUT THEY WON'T LET ME." Ross also gave interviews discussing her frustration with her rejection by the record industry, stating it was like a puppy pissing on your flower garden. Also discussed by Ross was the possibility of having to go the independent route since the majors didn't want her., but said she said didn't want to do that. Patti Labelle has been similarly as outspoken on how the industry treats veteran artists. I admire for Ross for being so honest about her dilemma rather than pretend she was rejecting lucrative offers left and right. For other veteran artists rejected by the music industry she let them know they were not alone, and it took courage to do that.
    Exactly. Exactly.

Diana does not give much details, but she let it be known that it was virtually impossible for her to secure a record deal or record new music several times.

I know that the record industry is very complex and there are many types of deals, but I still find odd that she had Clive Davis offering her different possibilities of a big contract when he was still a major player in the game [[mid-00's) and Diana complaining that nobody wanted her at the same time [[2004-2005). Something just does not make sense.

Maybe Diana's negociations with Clive happened after those interviews, but I still find strange her complaining when, in reality, she had the choice if she really wanted to...
    Something just don't click.

If only someone could find the [[video) interview when she mentions Clive and the total lack of interest of the record industry in her... it's from the 2004-2005 era, she is absolutely gorgeous and the interviewee says she looks like a 30-year-old woman at 60.
    Last edited by Nitro2015; 04-04-2017 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro2015 View Post
    Exactly. Exactly.

Diana does not give much details, but she let it be known that it was virtually impossible for her to secure a record deal or record new music several times.

I know that the record industry is very complex and there are many types of deals, but I still find odd that she had Clive Davis offering her different possibilities of a big contract when he was still a major player in the game [[mid-00's) and Diana complaining that nobody wanted her at the same time [[2004-2005). Something just does not make sense.

Maybe Diana's negociations with Clive happened after those interviews, but I still find strange her complaining when, in reality, she had the choice if she really wanted to...

If only someone could find the [[video) interview when she mentions Clive and the total lack of interest of the record industry in her... it's from the 2004-2005 era, she is absolutely gorgeous and the interviewee says she looks like a 30-year-old woman at 60.
    I first remember hearing her complain about it to Mary Hart on Entertainment Tonight.

I first remember hearing her complain about it to Mary Hart on Entertainment Tonight.
    Thank you Marv2.

The interview I'm mentioning it was not on ET, but I'm gonna check that too.

Thank you Marv2.

The interview I'm mentioning it was not on ET, but I'm gonna check that too.
    You're welcome. If it helps, I also remember the segment has something to do with her preparing for a tour.

She seems pretty happy to me. Seems to really enjoy the family life. But then you and I are both on the outside looking in so who knows how she really feels unless she tells us.

Why doesn't she just put out her own music and sell it online? She afford to do that. Prince did it. Heck even Mary Wilson and Martha Reeves have done that. Record some songs and sell them direct.
    Good point. Maybe the rumor of her being disinterested in recording at this point has some truth to it. Many vets have gone the independent/online route, so if she hasn't by this point maybe she just doesn't want to record. I have to remember that this woman is in her 70s, a grandmother for goodness sakes. Her career goals must be different at this point in her life than they were even ten years ago.

mpn1jco Guest
    Exactly. Exactly.

I remember all of those interviews very well and they will be presenting themselves in the near future.

I am not aware of contract negotiations in the entertainment industry that do not have a non- disclosure clause. I have also never heard of a major artist giving authority to an anonymous individual to divulge protected, confidential, and privileged information in a public forum, particularly with it attached to names of artists who are still major players in the industry. The consequences of even slight betrayals of trust are usually very severe in the entertainment industry. This is very bizarre and highly unusual. I have never encountered this before. The information that is being provided also directly contradicts what is extensively on the public record.

I
    Last edited by mpn1jco; 04-05-2017 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Something like that would indeed be good. I am liking the sound of those kind of albums, and even better with the possible participation of some of those legendary artists.

And you would know she is not happy of course!! lol!!

And you would know she is not happy of course!! lol!!
    Probably much more than you would. I am on this side of the pond! LOL!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 04-05-2017 at 09:05 AM.

endlesslove Guest
    Hello to all.

I do not wish to offend anyone. I do not wish to take sides. I have to say this. Someone needs to explain themselves in light of overwhelming evidence. I feel deceived.