[REMOVE ADS]

MissLish Guest

Mary Wilson and the North Carolina Symphony: January 21 - 22

http://www.ncsymphony.org/news/index.cfm?nid=411

Motown and More: Mary Wilson of The Supremes with the North Carolina Symphony, Jan. 21-22
    Posted: January 13, 2011

Mary Wilson, founding member of the most famous female trio in music history, joins forces with Maestro William Henry Curry and the North Carolina Symphony for a celebration of musical favorites from Motown and beyond. Dance, sing and clap along at two evenings of Pops classics at Meymandi Concert Hall in downtown Raleigh’s Progress Energy Center for the Performing Arts on Friday and Saturday, Jan. 21-22, at 8:00 p.m.

Wilson has performed on stage and screen, written a best-selling autobiography, lectured and continued to set the standard for females in the recording industry. Traveling the world as the Humpty Dumpty Institute’s Mine Action Spokesperson, she has become an honored humanitarian while performing for celebrities, royalty and politicians, including for the Clintons at the White House Millennium Celebration.

More recently, she appeared in “Mary Wilson: Up Close” at Feinstein’s at the Regency in New York. Those performances showcased “the degree to which the Motown sound is embedded in our collective consciousness,” wrote Stephen Holden in The New York Times, as “audience members, all smiles, began dancing in place.”

But this month’s concert is not just a nod to the smooth sounds from Detroit. Wilson will treat concertgoers to her electrifying vocal range with favorite songs by Sting, Johnny Cash, Joni Mitchell and more. The North Carolina Symphony lends a hand with playful classics by favorite composers John Williams, Ron Nelson and Lee Norris.

Regular tickets to this Fidelity Investments Pops Series performance featuring Mary Wilson range from $30 to $45, with a senior rate of $30. Meymandi Concert Hall is located in the Progress Energy Center for the Performing Arts, 2 E. South St., in Raleigh.

For tickets, program notes, podcasts, the blog and more, visit the North Carolina Symphony Web site at www.ncsymphony.org. Call North Carolina Symphony Audience Services at 919.733.2750 or toll free 877.627.6724.

The State of North Carolina has issued your Symphony an $8 million challenge; learn more at www.ncsymphony.org/challenge.

This is her forte she is good with the symphony people.

MissLish Guest
    Mary has become such a stellar singer and performer. I haven't seen any of the symphony shows; however, she also excels in her Ballads and Blues format too.

Quote Originally Posted by MissLish View Post
    Mary has become such a stellar singer and performer. I haven't seen any of the symphony shows; however, she also excels in her Ballads and Blues format too.
    I attended a Mary Wilson show here in San Diego several years ago when she performed with the San Diego Symphony. The show was outside next to the Harbor and it was beautiful. She sounded great and really seemed to enjoy herself. The crowd loved her. She signed autographs afterwards and was so sweet to all of us. I will never forget that evening.

You guys are lucky to have the opportunity to see this. I'd love to see this kind of show.

Take it whilst you can.

I attended a show with the Houston Symphony Orcheststra that allowed Mary the opportunity to really showcase her talents. She worked so well with the HSO and her band and had complete control on the stage. her range was superb evidenced by hitting some very high notes that were crystal clear. Although, sacreligious to some, she could have skipped the Sups material and I would have been satisfied [[except for My World-she tore that one up as usual). Lastly, over the last few years, I no longer hear, "Wow I didn't know she was still singing and could sing that good". When she sang "Love Child", there we quite a few shouts of, "You go Mary".
    jon

I think Mary sounds better than she did when she was with The Supremes and her early solo career.

She is one of the very few people you can say that about. Check this out:

MissLish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She is one of the very few people you can say that about. Check this out:

Brilliant!

topdiva1 Guest
    ^ Well we agree on something!!!!!!! LOL

Thanks Marv! Outstanding performance ...and there were many who thought Mary Wilson could not sing and would quietly go away. There was much more going on besides being the "sexy one".

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Thanks Marv! Outstanding performance ...and there were many who thought Mary Wilson could not sing and would quietly go away. There was much more going on besides being the "sexy one".
    May have thought that because like Florence, she was not allowed to showcase her abilities early on at Motown aside from a few leads like "Baby Don't Go", "After All" etc on which she sounded great. Quietly go away? HA! Mary Wilson is a career woman.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Mary Wilson does nothing quietly!!!!! And for that matter neither does Ross!!!!! Amd that is what makes and keeps them BOTH SUPREME - !!!!!

The first time I heard Mary Wilson sing this, "New York State of Mind", it was in early 2002 at the Westbury Music Fair here on Long Island. For the song they cleared the revolving stage and just had Mary in a spotlight sitting on a stool. They used this fog machine to give the set a misty look and she just tilted her head back and just sang the sh** out of this song! LOL! I mean she put her foot in it. The audience gave her a standing ovation before she was completely done! I will never forget it.

Mary nowadays has better judgement on her repertoire than Martha does. And better control of her voice, too.
    Not to mention the choice of some dresses...

MissLish Guest
    I wonder when was the last time Marv2 saw Mary's show.

MARY is at her best,One of her many standout performance's.
    Please stay positive

topdiva1 Guest
    I wonder when was the last time Marv2 saw Mary's show.

Once again your try to start with the BS - give up old man. We want INFO here on SDF not bashing like you do on other sites.

Please DO NOT CONTINUE TO BRING YOUR GARBAGE HERE - GO S--T SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MissLish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Once again your try to start with the BS - give up old man. We want INFO here on SDF not bashing like you do on other sites.

Please DO NOT CONTINUE TO BRING YOUR GARBAGE HERE - GO S--T SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calm down, my darling; MissLish contributed that lovely shot of TT's 25-inch waistline to the Forum. That's gotta be worth something. So many at SDF are obsessed with TT. Certainly they find value in that shot; MishLish certainly did! LOLOLOLOL!!

topdiva1 Guest
    Calm down, my darling; MissLish contributed that lovely shot of TT's 25-inch waistline to the Forum. That's gotta be worth something. So many at SDF are obsessed with TT. Certainly they find value in that shot; MishLish certainly did! LOLOLOLOL!!
    What it is worth is proof of your one man crusade to keep this forum under your attack by all means possible - and who said 25inch waist line other than you. Imet Tony Turner and would say TT at 6'4 has a 34 in waist line IMO. - and if you yourself are not obessed with TT - then why comment on everything TT - WHY - BECAUSE YOU ARE A TROUBLE MAKER AND WANT TO RUN PEOPLE AWAY FROM SDF - JUST AS YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS, ALSO ON HERE, HAVE DONE AT OTHER SITES where your target is not Tony Turner - but Mary Wilson.

FIND VALUE AND TRUTH IN THIS - We know who you are - who you all are,

Good riddance!!!

iNSHORT YOU ARE A OSER AND A WANNA BE BITC-----

MissLish Guest
    You know Tony, I was gonna post this at a later time, but I may as well do it now. I bought both of your books when they were first published and enjoyed them immensely. At the time, I was not involved with, or was just beginning to become involved with the on-line community. Those were the good old naive days. When I found others bashing you and your books, I gave you the benefit of the doubt, and thought there might be some truth in what Barbara wrote. When you first joined SDF, I knew immediately, after a post or two that TopDiva was in fact Tony Turner, it was all so transparent. I loved it! Thinking at some point you would reveal your true identity and SDFers would have a good laugh, and then be treated to a real back and forth with someone who allegedly had hung with the Girls during their hey-day. Oh! How festive that would have been! However, as time wore on, and your true narcissistic personality was revealed, I recoiled. There is something very, very wrong here, and honestly, it is quite disturbing. This weekend, I pulled both of your books out of my storage area, I no longer want them in my home; that's how badly I feel about what I have learned about you. In fact, if anyone is interested in these books, please email me privately, I have two copies I need to get rid of: Glitters and Temptation.

olamaebarto Guest

Cool

When you first joined SDF, I knew immediately, after a post or two that TopDiva was in fact Tony Turner, it was all so transparent. I loved it! Thinking at some point you would reveal your true identity and SDFers would have a good laugh, and then be treated to a real back and forth with someone who allegedly had hung with the Girls during their hey-day. Oh! How festive that would have been! However, as time wore on, and your true narcissistic personality was revealed, I recoiled. There is something very, very wrong here, and honestly, it is quite disturbing.

Brava! Brava! Miss Lish. I'm sure La Turner will come back with some weak attempt responce or jump in her 1974 Eldorado and race to WalMart to snap up some more Louie V knockoffs.

Can the silly girls here GET A LIFE and go ON TOPIC ?

GGGrrrrrrr....

Has anybody attended one of Mary's concerts, does someone have a review or maybe even a video pic...?

MissLish Guest
    Baby, is it really worth working yourself up into having an infernal hissy fit?

Here are some shots from La Wilson at the Rrazz Room after the show. At the time, I posted a review of the show somewhere, but who I have no idea where. Being such a huge Mary Wilson fan, maybe Marv2 will post a review from the last show he attended.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    Can the silly girls here GET A LIFE and go ON TOPIC ?

GGGrrrrrrr....

Has anybody attended one of Mary's concerts, does someone have a review or maybe even a video pic...?
    Thank you for this post

I understand that Mary Wilson's concerts are becoming a real hot ticket.

MissLish Guest
    I have additional photos too; however, for some reason they won't upload.

As always, Mary was on point. She opened with Supreme numbers before going into the Ballads and Blues segment of her show. After the Supremes segment on the first night, she got a SO [[led by Miss Lish herself), which seemed appropriate; after all, she was a huge part of that success. On the second and third nights, no prompting from Miss Lish was required. Mary has matured so much as an entertainer, and she, like Miss Ross appear to have nothing to prove. They just enjoy being on that stage and performing.

Just for giggles, here is a photo from Miss Ross's recent performance in Las Vegas.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by olamaebarto View Post
    Brava! Brava! Miss Lish. I'm sure La Turner will come back with some weak attempt responce or jump in her 1974 Eldorado and race to WalMart to snap up some more Louie V knockoffs.
    Stay on point - this is about Mary Wilson not Tony Turner you haters

MissLish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Thank you for this post

I understand that Mary Wilson's concerts are becoming a real hot ticket.

Oh! And another thing, Parnell, who has been doing back up for Mary for many years now, is very complementary to Mary's leads. On the Supreme's stuff, I don't know how he does it, but he mimics their sound almost perfectly. After the show, I asked him how was it possible that one voice could mimic two? LOL! I think he was pleased with the complement. Good times!

topdiva1 Guest
    I have additional photos too; however, for some reason they won't upload.

As always, Mary was on point. She opened with Supreme numbers before going into the Ballads and Blues segment of her show. After the Supremes segment on the first night, she got a SO [[led by Miss Lish herself), which seemed appropriate; after all, she was a huge part of that success. On the second and third nights, no prompting from Miss Lish was required. Mary has matured so much as an entertainer, and she, like Miss Ross appear to have nothing to prove. They just enjoy being on that stage and performing.

Just for giggles, here is a photo from Miss Ross's recent performance in Las Vegas.
    That Ross girl looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MissLish Guest
    I love that photo! Here is one that although not perfect, that I also love. I should explain, prior to this shot, she had posed for a photo for me. LOL! Thrilled! However, sadly it did not come out. This one is of her walking away, and again, it is not perfect, and although her face is not visible, most folks will still know it's her. I named this one Tassles, because if you look closely amongst all those feathers and glitter, you will spot a silver tassle or too. Buttah! This attention to detail, is part of the reason that Miss Ross is a worldwide superstar.

This is the last one I will post as I loathe to be reprimaneded for posting Diana Ross photos in a Mary Wilson thread. Ay-yi-yi!!

Tell us who is in the picture! Janie Bradford? Do I see Elegant Soul or OlaMae?

MissLish Guest
    It's Penny! Those tassels are only available to Avon reps. ;o)

Yes, but what about picture 24 above?

MissLish Guest
    I don't think there are any SDfers in that shot. The black guy standing behind Mary is Parnell, the salt and pepper Kenny Rogers looking guy is Randall Wilson, the author of the first book on Florence Ballard. I don't recall who the other Wilsonites are; however, I will attempt to compress some of the additional photos I have with the hopes that in doing so I will be able to upload them to the site.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Tell us who is in the picture! Janie Bradford? Do I see Elegant Soul or OlaMae?
    What's happened to Elegant Soul?

I really think it would be just fine if Mary decreased her Supremes material, she becoming quite a stellar chanteuse. But she really does want to please the fans. IMO she should drop You Cant Hurry Love forever. Just doesnt suit her voice and shes too good at other songs. Her Up Close show in NYC was the best Mary show Ive ever seen-and she did one Supremes song. She should add Touch and You Danced my Heart Around the Stars.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I really think it would be just fine if Mary decreased her Supremes material, she becoming quite a stellar chanteuse. But she really does want to please the fans. IMO she should drop You Cant Hurry Love forever. Just doesnt suit her voice and shes too good at other songs. Her Up Close show in NYC was the best Mary show Ive ever seen-and she did one Supremes song. She should add Touch and You Danced my Heart Around the Stars.
    I hope she does just as you have suggested. Her Upclose show is the road she should dtay on.

Hi Luke:
    I was thinking the same thing after seeing Mary over the last couple of years. She does a good job on My World... and Love Child, not saying she butchers any Sups songs! I suggest that her desire is to keep the legacy focused on the original Supremes and oviously that is her choice. But, I would not mind her completely elimininating all Supremes songs. She excells at nearly all non-Sups material. Good point!
    Jon

MissLish Guest
    I think like Miss Ross, Mary keeps the Supremes stuff in there because it is expected. The die-hards don't care really, but for the casual fan, they want the Supremes!

I have to agree with MissLish. I've seen Mary's "Up Close" show six times since 2005 and prefer it over the Supremes stuff other than her version of My World is Empty Without You. But I guess after 45 years I've heard all the songs enough. LOL. But when she does her jazz and blues it's a wonderful departure and those songs fit her very, very well.

Same with Diana Ross -- saw her concert last summer and for whatever reason she dropped the Lady Sings the Blues numbers and the Michael Jackson/Marvin Gaye numbers by adding a comedian as a warm-up act. Would have been glad to hear those sets and not the Supreme's numbers if given a choice.

But, still glad to see both gals working!

topdiva1 Guest
    Mary Wilson, for her public must unfortunately keep some Supreme song in her act. However, she is much better and a dynamic star on her own with the more jazz and blues torch song numbers.

What a beautiful lady.

MARY WILSON is great on My world is empty[[without you).It's really jazzy,the way Mary puts her touch on it,Almost every time, i'v seen MARY sang My world, she gets a standing ovation,yes that one SUPREME number she should keep in her act.
    Please stay positive

I like Mary's set list. What I don't like is when she sings Stop, & Baby Love beacuse, she plays with it and messes up the lyrics most of the time. You Can't Hurry Love is cool because she really start the ball rollin and thats song is a rocker and when she is in good voice, she tears into that song. I have some great versions of Mary singing it. I must say that her jazz set is really good, and great for a more intimate venue. I think Mary is trying to incorporate more of her jazz set into her Supreme set. I wish her well with that. It would be great to hear some stuff from the 70's and her over due new recording project.

wow I have not seen a pic of Randall Wilson in a long time. I spoke with him 20 years ago and that was it. The guy behind Mary looks line Dennis the Menace's father.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    I like Mary's set list. What I don't like is when she sings Stop, & Baby Love beacuse, she plays with it and messes up the lyrics most of the time. You Can't Hurry Love is cool because she really start the ball rollin and thats song is a rocker and when she is in good voice, she tears into that song. I have some great versions of Mary singing it. I must say that her jazz set is really good, and great for a more intimate venue. I think Mary is trying to incorporate more of her jazz set into her Supreme set. I wish her well with that. It would be great to hear some stuff from the 70's and her over due new recording project.

It would be great if Mary Wilson did a Torch Song type CD!