[REMOVE ADS]

Someday We'll Be Together

Loving this version....

I listened. What are the differences?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I listened. What are the differences?
    The recording starts with the tambourine, which seems more prominent in the mix, while Johnny Bristol’s ad libs seem further back.

Also the congas are present in the beginning with the tambourine. The piano track, which was omitted from the stereo album mix, is included. Diana's lead vocal track as well as Johnny Bristol's is lower in the mix. The stereo panning in this mix is vastly different than that of the album mix, which I greatly prefer except for the absence of the piano track. This mix has the song fading and ending a little too soon for my taste. I do like the drums in this mix though.

I first heard this mix in the early 1970s on a radio station in San Francisco. I never forgot that I heard something so different and was grateful when it finally became available decades later. My question is how was this mix made available to radio stations and not to the public?

The same situation occurred with It's My House being played as a club mix on the radio in 1981. That mix was very rare, but available and later found as a 12" single. Interestingly, the 12" single was born to have music by Black artists played in clubs because their music wasn't being added to playlists on white radio stations.

My favorite rare mix is Aretha's cover of Johnny Ace's My Song. This was heard on a New York radio station in stereo when current and when FM stereo was in its infancy. I once had an open-reel line recording from the radio. The stereo version, unfortunately, has never surfaced on any compilations.

Sounds wonderful through the headphones.

I'm not sure whether it means anything but at 3:35 the track time shown for the Anthology mix is the longest [[just) of all the DRATS versions, aside from the alternate take [[4:11). Next longest are the ones in the twofers - at least they didn't have to shorten it to fit all the tracks on these twofers. The shortest shows as the one in the Master Series CD at 3:24.

Such a good song either way.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 03-26-2017 at 08:53 AM.

The version that showed up on the Anthology came from some compilation but can't remember the name of it offhand. I'm pretty sure it's detailed in the Anthology booklet.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    The version that showed up on the Anthology came from some compilation but can't remember the name of it offhand. I'm pretty sure it's detailed in the Anthology booklet.
    According to the booklet, it appeared first on Motown Chartbusters Vol. 4, Motown 734, May 1971.

Funnily enough, the first time I heard the song [[but not this mix) was on the first Motown LP I bought and that was the UK Motown Chartbusters Volume 4.

I love the outtake version on the 'Lost and Found' cd with the church organ beginning, a different lead vocal and Diana at the end of the track saying "do another one". The track runs for 4:11.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    I love the outtake version on the 'Lost and Found' cd with the church organ beginning, a different lead vocal and Diana at the end of the track saying "do another one". The track runs for 4:11.
    i agree. I love that one too.

If I'm not mistaken, I think did like 6 vocal takes on this which may be why she joked "Do another one."

Very nice indeed. Joss Stone w/ Lamar. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u9HGIkoWSpM

So, the tambourine mix is also on the Millennium Collection, but the bongos in the beginning don't sound as prominent to me.

This mix sounds as though it would fold nicely down into mono, which would bring Diana's lead vocals back in balance with the backing tracks and backing vocals.

The strings, which are mixed to the centre would also become more prominent.

Moreover, Diana's vocals appear to be mixed for exactly that. They aren't "in the room" as on the other stereo mixes that I have [[original mix and Number Ones).

So... was there once a tentative plan for a "one size fits all" stereo mix at some point?

Thanks for posting this mix Mysterysinger.

I could have sworn though that I heard a mix that claimed to be from Motown Chartbusters Vol 4 on YT, but it didn't have remnants of the count in at the start, or the isolated tambourine.

I do however recall it had the piano very prominent at the start and throughout.

[[Maybe the uploader had chopped off the start)!

Whatever, I thought it was the best stereo mix of the song, so it could have been this one.

Today, this popped up on my YT recommended: -

A remix by Tom Moulton, and one I had never heard or knew existed until now.

As you can hear, no background vocals on this mix, so a true Diana solo version, albeit still with Johnny Bristol's input!

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by bradburger; 04-01-2017 at 05:42 PM.

Talking of remnants of the countdown at the start of the original posting, I can't figure out what is being said. It sounds a bit like a Yorkshire accent lol. Best guess is Four - Solid. Nowhere near I expect.