[REMOVE ADS]

Martha & The Vandellas - No More Tearstained Make Up

Been listening to this, definitely one of my favourite Martha & The Vandellas album tracks. The lyrics are just so cleverly written, Smokey sure had a talent for dreaming up some amazingly witty lyrics [[especially considering it's basically just about makeup). My favourite bit of it:

"Like a storm my tears have rained
    since your shirt was lipstick-stained
    and the stains that it contained were not my colour.
    No sponge has quite the power
    to absorb the constant shower
    of the tears pancake and powder could never cover."

Love it, love it, love it! Although I'm not as keen on the slower alternate version -- I definitely prefer the original LP version.

DJ Moch

I love the released album version, too, DJ Moch. As always, Martha does a great job on that one, as do The Vandellas/Andantes. And Jamerson's bass triplets are always a treat! Smokey had a real knack with those light, breezy shuffle-beat tracks [[i.e., "My Guy", "When I'm Gone", etc.) His lyrics are just too cool! Like you said, "Love it, love it, love it"!

Have to agree. A great song and vocal performance by Martha and the ladies. This track brings out a different side to Martha that we didn't often get the chance to hear.

Hadn't even heard this one before! I love it!

It's got that classic Smokey calypso-ish feel... sounds like it's from the early '60s! And Martha's vocal is sweet and almost subdued... she gives it the full Mary Wells performance!!

Thank you Emile
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 03-18-2017 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post

Been listening to this, definitely one of my favourite Martha & The Vandellas album tracks. The lyrics are just so cleverly written, Smokey sure had a talent for dreaming up some amazingly witty lyrics [[especially considering it's basically just about makeup). My favourite bit of it:

Love it, love it, love it! Although I'm not as keen on the slower alternate version -- I definitely prefer the original LP version.

DJ Moch
    Truly one of Martha & the Vandellas best LP cuts [[and one that I feel could've had potential as a single). And I agree that the slower version of the song [[from the UK 2-fer of Dance Party & Watchout!) is not as good as one from the original LP.

I think that SR punched this production out very quickly for the Marvellets, who when it came time to do the vocals were not available, however, fortunately, Miss Martha and her associates were available. Not the type of tune they usually did, but what a nice change. I can hear Wanda Young-Rodgers "sexy little voice " on this. Think of Here I Am Baby, The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game, You're The One.
    If you are in good health, I recommend not listening to the drum track, it will swing you into bad health, it swings so much.

I trust you are aware that the Marvelettes did eventually record it, or it might be more accurate to say that Wanda did, since it appeared on the Return album, which was in essence a solo project for Wanda. Martha's version is better in my opinion although I was wild about both groups back in the day.

The Marvelettes did eventually release their own version on their 1970 album. Though musically the melody sounded a lot different. You're saying they were going to be the vocalists of the original at the time Martha et al recorded it? Would have definitely been interesting to hear how it would have sounded if the Marvelettes sang it to that particular arrangement. Love these what ifs.
    Last edited by DJMoch; 03-19-2017 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Left out a word

huntergettingcaptured Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post

DJ Moch
    This one drives me CRAZY because it's just so darn good. It doesn't overwhelm you with a full-on music track, just a great little swing number with a basic combo. I thought I was the only one for whom that line was the favorite. They rhyming scheme is insanely clever [[rained, stained, stains, contained- 4 words in such a short span) and the part about "no sponge has quite the power to absorb the constant shower" is pure genius. Smokey would take cues from everywhere and that line sounds like ad copy for a paper towel advertisement. I often wondered if that is where he got that one from because in a later song, he took a slogan for Campbell's soup and turned it into an incredible love song.

huntergettingcaptured Guest
    Another thing about this song is that it is so deceptive. Martha makes it sound very effortless and smooth, but has anyone ever tried to sing this? The melody line takes all kinds of slick maneuvering to work those notes that rise and fall; not to mention that at times, the lyrics are so chock-full, you've got take a proper breath to make it all the way through AND remain in key! Martha is astonishing on this. I also love how Betty and Rosalind ring out so clear even with the Andantes filling out the background.

I think the lyrics to this song are amongst Smokey's best. I rate these as his very finest:

The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game
    The Love I Saw in You Was Just a Mirage
    No More Tearstained Makeup
    Who's Gonna Take the Blame? [[one of his best, I think underrated story-songs)

Martha's performance is exemplary on "Makeup," but being a huge Wanda fan I do prefer her version. But I really wish Martha had recorded more of these songs requiring her subtle vocal artistry, not her big voice. Love her on this, "My Baby Loves Me," "Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things." Such a talent!