[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross NYC Dates Extended!!

Diana's 3-night booking at City Center NYC has been extended by 2 additional nights due to popular demand! Everybody loves 'our girl' Diana Ross!!

http://www.nycitycenter.org/tickets/..._medium=215055

Widely acclaimed as one of the greatest entertainers of all time......

As a huge Ross fan, her stage show is as stale as day-old bread. She put her feet in cement several decades ago and they are still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    As a huge Ross fan, her stage show is as stale as day-old bread. She put her feet in cement several decades ago and they are still there.
    That may well be true Circa but she still pulls in the crowds and she is not interested in rehauling her stage show at this point in her career. She may tweek it slightly here and there but if you are hoping for a totally new show you are better staying away.

It's a greatest hits show, it brings in the crowd, how can you argue with that

It isn't a show for the hard core fan that wants to hear The Man I Love and Fine and Mellow

Last night I attended an invited-audience of the final dress rehearsal for Hello Dolly on Broadway starring Bette Midler. Previews start tonight. The theater was packed with friends and family of cast and crew members. I was fortunate to have been given a front row seat where I could literally touch the stage while sitting. I watched Bette closely throughout the show. She is small and looks her age.

Bette is 71 years old. She has tons of money and has nothing to prove. I sat in amazement and admiration for this woman who wants to do something new and very challenging. Was she great? No. She will certainly get better before opening night next month.

She forgot her lines a couple times and had to ask for them. She broke character in a couple places, and said something to the audience about the "God-damned purse" she has to carry throughout the show. The audience loved it. [[Remember, it was the final rehearsal so she could do this.)

I stood at the end of the show and wildly applauded Bette's courage and professional drive. Bette's fans are in for a real treat. Long-live Bette Midler and her willingness to step out of her comfort zone !!!

Diana fans ....... we get a good snooze with the same ol' same ol.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 03-15-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    That may well be true Circa but she still pulls in the crowds and she is not interested in rehauling her stage show at this point in her career. She may tweek it slightly here and there but if you are hoping for a totally new show you are better staying away.
    Diana's shows are certainly not as stale as her detractors' comments!! As you your self know, Bluebrock, Ms. Ross needn't tamper with perfection!

Last night I attended an invited-audience of the final dress rehearsal for Hello Dolly on Broadway starring Bette Midler. Previews start tonight. The theater was packed with friends and family of cast and crew members. I was fortunate to have been given a front row seat where I could literally touch the stage while sitting. I watched Bette closely throughout the show. She is small and looks her age.

Bette is 71 years old. She has tons of money and has nothing to prove. I sat in amazement and admiration for this woman who wants to do something new and very challenging. Was she great? No. She will certainly get better before opening night next month.

She forgot her lines a couple times and had to ask for them. She broke character in a couple places, and said something to the audience about the "God-damned purse" she has to carry throughout the show. The audience loved it. [[Remember, it was the final rehearsal so she could do this.)

I stood at the end of the show and wildly applauded Bette's courage and professional drive. Bette's fans are in for a real treat. Long-live Bette Midler and her willingness to step out of her comfort zone !!!

Two questions - why are you inserting a Bette Midler item in a Motown thread, and why are you denigrating Diana Ross twice in the same thread? Once would truly be enough. Best wishes to you -

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    It's a greatest hits show, it brings in the crowd, how can you argue with that

It isn't a show for the hard core fan that wants to hear The Man I Love and Fine and Mellow
    Unfortunately, Mr. J-Rob, as you know this site seems as much an "I hate Diana Ross" site as a legit forum for soul / R&B fans. I've only been following the forum for about a month or so but that's already apparent to me.

mpn1jco Guest
    Some agendas are very transparent.

http://diana-ross.freeforums.net/thr...&scrollTo=3915

That, in my opinion, was very insensitive and uncalled for.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    That, in my opinion, was very insensitive and uncalled for.
    I agree. Also demeaning to this forum.

It is nice to see that the demand for Diana is still there. When I was in NYC last month, I happened to pass by the City Center and for a brief moment, I was tempted to see what they had available. If I lived in NYC, I would probably be broke because I'd be there every night.

mpn1jco Guest
    Thanks for your candid and very warranted opinion. Clarity is always appreciated and is an asset to this forum.
    Last edited by mpn1jco; 03-15-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Our chat is interesting and we are entitled to hold opinions.

The Public has spoken about Diana; of those artists her age, many are now relatively obscure; most of the Motown artists that remain alive fall in that category; there are few Diana's and Stevie's and Lionel's and Smokey's. It's sad but true. And many of them are not well off and sometimes their disaffection over how things turned out spills over to their fans.

Diana still brings in the crowds; she is still collecting the major awards and recognition, like from President Obama in December.

Jealousy is a human trait - not our most admirable one. But some people have it.

The former Supremes love Diana to a varying degree. How easy would it have been to see our friend who grew up with us, that was the smartest in class, wasn't the prettiest all the time, didn't have the loudest, strongest voice - walk away from us and go to the movies and Central Park and the Oscars and the White House? It would be hard. We might be jealous. And so might our fans.

Two of those fans haunt this forum, are entitled to their views, but in the end, embarrass only themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Unfortunately, Mr. J-Rob, as you know this site seems as much an "I hate Diana Ross" site as a legit forum for soul / R&B fans. I've only been following the forum for about a month or so but that's already apparent to me.
    Don't rise to the bait. These individuals are just trying to goad us into yet another full scale war. Ignore them, turn the other cheek, pity them, laugh at them but don't respond. Being ignored is the best way to deal with these people.show your contempt for these people by ignoring them. Positive thinking!! Onwards and upwards!!

Our chat is interesting and we are entitled to hold opinions.

The Public has spoken about Diana; of those artists her age, many are now relatively obscure; most of the Motown artists that remain alive fall in that category; there are few Diana's and Stevie's and Lionel's and Smokey's. It's sad but true. And many of them are not well off and sometimes their disaffection over how things turned out spills over to their fans.

Diana still brings in the crowds; she is still collecting the major awards and recognition, like from President Obama in December.

Jealousy is a human trait - not our most admirable one. But some people have it.

The former Supremes love Diana to a varying degree. How easy would it have been to see our friend who grew up with us, that was the smartest in class, wasn't the prettiest all the time, didn't have the loudest, strongest voice - walk away from us and go to the movies and Central Park and the Oscars and the White House? It would be hard. We might be jealous. And so might our fans.

Two of those fans haunt this forum, are entitled to their views, but in the end, embarrass only themselves.
    Very wise, J.Rob! I shall follow your lead and look forward to more of your posts!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Don't rise to the bait. These individuals are just trying to goad us into yet another full scale war. Ignore them, turn the other cheek, pity them, laugh at them but don't respond. Being ignored is the best way to deal with these people.show your contempt for these people by ignoring them. Positive thinking!! Onwards and upwards!!
    Ok, Bluebrock, I shall from now on! There is so much good news for lovers of 'our' music [[performances, reissues, etc) that I'd regret leaving the forum due to the negative members! I'll be posting my review of the The Dells latest reissue soon -

mpn1jco Guest

Bette is 71 years old. She has tons of money and has nothing to prove. I sat in amazement and admiration for this woman who wants to do something new and very challenging. Was she great? No. Sh<script id="gpt-impl-0.6036415758107885" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_111.js"></script>e will certainly get better before opening night next month.

Circa1824 stay strong, be courageous, and continue to post your honest opinions. Do not allow a minority of people to discourage you and bait you into being banned. Ignore them and I will continue to look for your posts! You handled their collective assault very well. Remember a clique with an obvious agenda trolling this forum does not represent the collective majority! This quartet continues only to embarrass themselves and it is quite pathetic, sick actually. I don't know you but I am quite proud of you right now! Remember some very old members are very new these days.........

http://diana-ross.freeforums.net/thr...es-data?page=8
    Last edited by mpn1jco; 03-15-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mpn1jco View Post
    Circa1824 stay strong, be courageous, and continue to post your honest opinions. Do not allow a minority of people to discourage you and bait you into being banned. Ignore them and I will continue to look for your posts! You handled their collective assault very well. Remember a clique with an obvious agenda trolling this forum does not represent the collective majority! This quartet continues only to embarrass themselves and it is quite pathetic. I don't know you but I am quite proud of you right now! Remember some very old members are quite new these days.

http://diana-ross.freeforums.net/thr...es-data?page=8
    I will reiterate what was stated earlier in this post. Diana's show is an extremely well-paced greatest hits show. I've seen it several times. The audiences love it, sing along, dance along and enjoy the memories. It is not a show for fans expecting rarities or an updated set list; it is a hits show targeted to casual fans who want to relive those musical memories. The show continues to sell out because it is an excellent show!

A comparison: Wicked is an excellent show, still in great demand after more than 10 years, but it may not be a show for repeat viewing. That does not make it a poor show..

mpn1jco Guest

Brilliant!

http://diana-ross.freeforums.net/thr...&scrollTo=3947
    Last edited by mpn1jco; 03-16-2017 at 05:27 AM.

mpn1jco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    I will reiterate what was stated earlier in this post. Diana's show is an extremely well-paced greatest hits show. I've seen it several times. The audiences love it, sing along, dance along and enjoy the memories. It is not a show for fans expecting rarities or an updated set list; it is a hits show targeted to casual fans who want to relive those musical memories. The show continues to sell out because it is an excellent show!

A comparison: Wicked is an excellent show, still in great demand after more than 10 years, but it may not be a show for repeat viewing. That does not make it a poor show..
    I respect your well stated opinion.
    Last edited by mpn1jco; 03-15-2017 at 07:38 PM.

I understand the desire for a new show, but the picture is not as bleak as some would imply. The show was totally new in 2004, again in 2007, again in 2010 and now it has dwindled down to this very tight, knock out 75 minute set that has never to my knowledge, been anything but adored by the audience. In Vegas she added Its My Turn and The Man I Love to many shows, Reach Out and Best Years in others, Look Of Love is back in, Come See About Me is firm.....Still, certainly, there is room for change but I say at 73, given her years of performing, I criticize not. Do what YOU want, baby - cuz you're doing it well and I appreciate the ability to attend and still love seeing you period. Shall we think of how many are no longer giving us the opportunity to complain. I've complained in the very forum about the set list, but damn if I don't still crazy dig her anyway. She is cherished by an astounding wide demographic age, color, style.......so many in their 30's & 40's in Vegas.

Mary's show is even more stale and, as of Frb 24, she is in fine fettle and for those unhappy with her dearth of 70's material - too bad. Complain to Flo or Whitney......get the point? I'm glad to be able to see both Supremes at 73 and have them in such good shape.

Cher's show is 100% brand new, over the top with production, and a tedious, lifeless bore. Perhaps if she sang even a few tunes live, it might help.

I have a friend working on Dolly and it's not a happy company. Bette is unhappy with the book and her direction and openly issues warnings about what will happen if she is not Tony nominated again. He thinks she will become "ill" and "have to" leave the show before The Tonys air.

Let's count our blessings that we still have Diana, Mary and others to enjoy and not compare them to others. Both Supremes had already done thousands of shows before Bette ever hit The Club Baths - let's give them a break.

This was posted on Broadway World today.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article...Added-20170316

Great post Maniac!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I understand the desire for a new show, but the picture is not as bleak as some would imply. The show was totally new in 2004, again in 2007, again in 2010 and now it has dwindled down to this very tight, knock out 75 minute set that has never to my knowledge, been anything but adored by the audience. In Vegas she added Its My Turn and The Man I Love to many shows, Reach Out and Best Years in others, Look Of Love is back in, Come See About Me is firm.....Still, certainly, there is room for change but I say at 73, given her years of performing, I criticize not. Do what YOU want, baby - cuz you're doing it well and I appreciate the ability to attend and still love seeing you period. Shall we think of how many are no longer giving us the opportunity to complain. I've complained in the very forum about the set list, but damn if I don't still crazy dig her anyway. She is cherished by an astounding wide demographic age, color, style.......so many in their 30's & 40's in Vegas.

Mary's show is even more stale and, as of Frb 24, she is in fine fettle and for those unhappy with her dearth of 70's material - too bad. Complain to Flo or Whitney......get the point? I'm glad to be able to see both Supremes at 73 and have them in such good shape.

Cher's show is 100% brand new, over the top with production, and a tedious, lifeless bore. Perhaps if she sang even a few tunes live, it might help.

I have a friend working on Dolly and it's not a happy company. Bette is unhappy with the book and her direction and openly issues warnings about what will happen if she is not Tony nominated again. He thinks she will become "ill" and "have to" leave the show before The Tonys air.

Let's count our blessings that we still have Diana, Mary and others to enjoy and not compare them to others. Both Supremes had already done thousands of shows before Bette ever hit The Club Baths - let's give them a break.
    Good points. Although I have to respectfully disagree in regards to your point about Cher. She is still kicking it too. I saw her a few years ago and she sang most of the concert live [[a few numbers were lip synced but Miss Ross has also done the same with a few songs at a handful of shows over the years). Cher also moves like someone twice her age and while she may not necessarily appeal to the average Ross fan due to the difference in style/genre, she is also still thrilling audiences, including at her most recent stint in Vegas. You also mentioned Cher has a brand new show and I want to respectfully point out that while it is marketed as a new show, it is mostly the same show as her previous ones, with bits and pieces combined from her previous tours. Although she does have some new costumes.

You're right. It really is a wonderful thing to see our favourite ladies still doing their thing after all of these years, especially considering all of the personal and professional challenges they have had to face. Everytime I see Miss Ross and Miss Wilson, which is usually once a year, I try to be in the moment and appreciate the opportunity. Never take it or life in general, for granted.

http://news-sentinel.com/entertainme...ummer-concerts

Diana & Aretha also appearing in Fort Wayne this summer.

http://news-sentinel.com/entertainme...ummer-concerts

Diana & Aretha also appearing in Fort Wayne this summer.
    Two great ladies still bringing in the crowds! I see that the Foellinger is also featuring The Spinners - but seemingly with only one original member, Henry Fambrough. Do you get to see concerts, J-Rob?

I've seen Ross Wonder Temptations in the last 8 years or so - not many

And threads like this [[at least the earlier bit that got a bit heated) are exactly why it took me almost a decade to actually join this board. I can't deal with the negativity, especially towards an artist I absolutely love to bits.

mpn1jco Guest
    My friend saw her in Vegas and said he loved the show.

http://diana-ross.freeforums.net/thr...omeback?page=6

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    And threads like this [[at least the earlier bit that got a bit heated) are exactly why it took me almost a decade to actually join this board. I can't deal with the negativity, especially towards an artist I absolutely love to bits.
    Sadly the sniping and bitching is a regular occurrence on here Dj. People have a right to state their opinion of course, but it inevitably descends into an unpleasant slanging match. Certain members love to stir up the brown smelly stuff. Just try to ignore it and concentrate on the positives such as your sensational remixes which are a joy to the ear. We are privileged to have you as a member. Please do not let a small minority spoil it for you. Keep up the great work and take care of yourself.

No worries, my friend. In general if things take a turn in a thread, I get out. I refuse to take part in mud slinging. Criticizing civilly is one thing, but I will not for one minute denigrate either the artists or my fellow board members. I don't roll that way. My mama done raised me right. ;-)

DJ

I have been to very few live concerts in my life, sad but true. The last one was seeing Donna Summer perform back in 2008 [[I speak as a huge fan of hers, I was devastated when she passed away in 2012). Diana is definitely one I'd love to see in a live setting. I'm sure she puts on a terrific show.

I first saw the Supremes in 1968 in Vancouver and Stevie in about 1973 in Victoria

So I see someone is still advertising that free forum place where they took our user names and signed us up; I think they signed me up right away! A compliment. I wonder if I'm still there and what I say or if I was too boring and they stopped trying to be me??

Well said DJ. Your mama did a great job in raising you and must be so proud of you.

I first saw the Supremes in 1968 in Vancouver and Stevie in about 1973 in Victoria

So I see someone is still advertising that free forum place where they took our user names and signed us up; I think they signed me up right away! A compliment. I wonder if I'm still there and what I say or if I was too boring and they stopped trying to be me??
    they are using a lot of peoples names from this here forum jobeterob but it just seems real desperate to me and I advise people ignore that free forum place as the language and remarks about Miss Ross and some of us are real crude and disgusting.

Have a blessed Sunday.

Roberta

I'm just watching another thread on the board go down in flames and I honestly don't understand it. How can people be so petty? Life is way too short for such latent hostility and negativity. Especially for many of you who actually grew up with the music.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    I'm just watching another thread on the board go down in flames and I honestly don't understand it. How can people be so petty? Life is way too short for such latent hostility and negativity. Especially for many of you who actually grew up with the music.
    I have just posted on that very thread. My patience is wearing very thin and that is not good.

Hope they are calling me choice names etc-I will take that as a compliment

I do think it is best to be charitable especially to all the artists because they all loved each other

I do think it is best to be charitable especially to all the artists because they all loved each other
    Exactly, they may have had their problems and issues and occasional disharmony, but at the heart of it, Motown *was* a family, and a great family, it has to be said.

I am a Bette & Diana fan. Both are great I saw Bette in a one woman Broadway show a few years ago, and I saw her in HELLO DOLLY yesterday. Packed house, no mistakes by Bette, fully professional, show very entertaining and I also sat right up front. She looked and sounded great. She should be proud. She brpke the record for first day sales of a Broadway Show. But she has done that twice before. First in 1973 with her concert at The Palace and agaiin in 1975 with “Bette Midler’s Clams on the Half Shell Revue” .

Diana, Bette, Gladys, Aretha,Cher, Barbra,Patti etc.. all ladies of a certain age, all still selling out theatres, clubs etc. They must be doing something right. RESPECT

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I am a Bette & Diana fan. Both are great I saw Bette in a one woman Broadway show a few years ago, and I saw her in HELLO DOLLY yesterday. Packed house, no mistakes by Bette, fully professional, show very entertaining and I also sat right up front. She looked and sounded great. She should be proud. She brpke the record for first day sales of a Broadway Show. But she has done that twice before. First in 1973 with her concert at The Palace and agaiin in 1975 with “Bette Midler’s Clams on the Half Shell Revue” .

Diana, Bette, Gladys, Aretha,Cher, Barbra,Patti etc.. all ladies of a certain age, all still selling out theatres, clubs etc. They must be doing something right. RESPECT
    Out of curiosity, milven, was the Bette one-woman show I'LL EAT YOU LAST? I'm obsessed with Sue Mengers and I'm kicking myself that I missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Out of curiosity, milven, was the Bette one-woman show I'LL EAT YOU LAST? I'm obsessed with Sue Mengers and I'm kicking myself that I missed it.
    It was. And I have a personal story about it. She did the whole performance sitting in a sofa. She never once got up.

I was sitting in first row and at one point she talked directly to me. I did not respond, respecting the "Fourth Wall" But when she again said something to me, I realized that she broke the fourth wall and was actually talking to an audience member- me. She told me to come on stage [[I was sitting by the steps) told me to get her cigarettes I started to walk accross stage, but she hollored at me and told me to take off my shoes before walking on her rug. She called me later in the show to do the same thing for a bottle for a drink. Stupid me forgot to remove my shoes first and she hollored at me again When the show was over and she was taking her bows, she called me up again, turned towards me, clapped and then shoooed me off. A divine lady, divine performance, and an unforgettable experience for me. I'm sure she did it every night to whoever was sitting in the seat near the steps. How lucky that it was me that night. And how lucky that I was wearing loafers and did not have to bend down to untie shoes
    Last edited by milven; 03-19-2017 at 10:49 PM.

Going to see Diana is watching history................
    If you don't get that then you would be better off watching whatever makes you feel happy. Mary is looking better than ever in her shows and OMG after about 40 + some years I am proud to say they are still rocking the house.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    It was. And I have a personal story about it. She did the whole performance sitting in a sofa. She never once got up.

I was sitting in first row and at one point she talked directly to me. I did not respond, respecting the "Fourth Wall" But when she again said something to me, I realized that she broke the fourth wall and was actually talking to an audience member- me. She told me to come on stage [[I was sitting by the steps) told me to get her cigarettes I started to walk accross stage, but she hollored at me and told me to take off my shoes before walking on her rug. She called me later in the show to do the same thing for a bottle for a drink. Stupid me forgot to remove my shoes first and she hollored at me again When the show was over and she was taking her bows, she called me up again, turned towards me, clapped and then shoooed me off. A divine lady, divine performance, and an unforgettable experience for me. I'm sure she did it every night to whoever was sitting in the seat near the steps. How lucky that it was me that night. And how lucky that I was wearing loafers and did not have to bend down to untie shoes
    That is incredible! You've made my day!

I'm having problems reading this thread. Some of you are on thin ice with me.

First of all. Diana Ross is more than likely, not as good as she once was. The same happened to Sinatra. Age happens, so get over it or leave. Loyal fans will still go and enjoy a show if effort is put forth.
    So....Are we clear now?

Speaking for myself, Ralph, I appreciate your moderation. It certainly can't be easy dealing with so much vitriol on a daily basis. I know I wouldn't be able to do it.

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I'm having problems reading this thread. Some of you are on thin ice with me.

First of all. Diana Ross is more than likely, not as good as she once was. The same happened to Sinatra. Age happens, so get over it or leave. Loyal fans will still go and enjoy a show if effort is put forth.
    So....Are we clear now?
    You are quite right Ralph. Diana Ross is nowhere near as good as she once was, but her considerable charisma and unequalled star quality help her get by just fine. Anyone expecting her to be able to perform like she did 40 years ago is plainly in urgent need of help. Most people realise this , and it is their call and no-one elses whether they attend a Diana Ross show, You could say the same thing about Aretha, Dionne, Neil Diamond, Barry Manilow, Cher, Frankie Valli etc etc.

I know I for one wouldn't expect any particular musical artist [[Motown or otherwise) who are in their 70s to put on the kind of show that they would have had they been 30 or 40 years younger. The sad truth is, despite their charisma and star quality, these people are human beings, and they age -- it's a fact of life. I'd be thrilled to see them perform [[Diana definitely included), but as I say I would not expect them to put on elaborate shows. As long as they're still capable of singing well, that makes me more than happy. For me at least, it's the music that counts.

Peace,
    DJ
    Last edited by DJMoch; 03-20-2017 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Fixing a word.