[REMOVE ADS]

50 Years Ago: January 15, 1961.......

January 15, 1961: The Supremes signed a world-wide recording contract with Motown Records! Where did the time go? LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    january 15, 1961: The supremes signed a world-wide recording contract with motown records! Where did the time go? Lol!!!!
    hey marv,thanks for reminding me of just how old i am[hehe]man the beginning of camelot,i was a snotty nosed kid listening to the radio and hearing nothing by any supremes[the shirelles were the girl group then]anyhow i have this same picture of the supremes on a collage with a slightly different pose by the girls...hey marv,i want the sixties back!!

...and what did they sing at their first group recording session..some say After All others Believe it was You Can Depend on me..

It may have been[the tears]which was written by smokey and recorded in[1961]with mary on lead..great little peice of female doo-wop that's a collectors item today but sank without a trace back then.

Hip O Lost And Found makes a case for You Can depend On me being their first Motown recording..

This has been debated often. Somewhere in my memory, I have it that we deduced that After All had to be the first recording [[because Diana confirmed it in an printed interview and she also confirmed it verbally to someone in my company that asked her). As to when....I will commit to before January 1960 but after August 1960.
    Last edited by theboyfromxtown; 01-17-2011 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Hip O Lost And Found makes a case for You Can depend On me being their first Motown recording..
    That's cos Andy is mischevious and he knew that if he made sure it was in Lost And Fouind, then Simon would try to beat me down with it......HA-HA

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    hey marv,thanks for reminding me of just how old i am[hehe]man the beginning of camelot,i was a snotty nosed kid listening to the radio and hearing nothing by any supremes[the shirelles were the girl group then]anyhow i have this same picture of the supremes on a collage with a slightly different pose by the girls...hey marv,i want the sixties back!!
    Hey JAI, don't feel bad. There are a lot of folks right along with you, trust me LOL!

"After All" was their first recording. They actually did do work for Motown in late 1960 when they were still the Primettes because they kept pushing Berry Gordy to let them in some kind of way. I think they were still the Primettes when they recorded "After All" [[I believe it may have been December 1960). After that, Berry thought of signing them but hated their original name so he and Janie Bradford wrote a list of names, Janie put three of them in a bag [[her words on "Unsung") and Florence, the only Supreme member, picked out "The Supremes". The rest is music history.

Midnightman.

I think even Randy says it might have been earlier than December and I seem to recall that it could have been as early as September 1960.

I am presuming Janie Bradford typed the girl's contract on a typewriter as she did with the Miracles. That is why Janie is there with those celebrated "pieces of paper". I try to imagine the scenario......Janie bashing away on the typewriter, up to page 276. Hey girls, I gotta put in your group name...hurry and choose one so I can finish this page. LOL
    Last edited by theboyfromxtown; 01-17-2011 at 05:31 PM.

After All was definately their first recording in 1960 but, I am still unsure about the picking the names out of the bag. Florence was the one who picked the name.

Florence did indeed pick the name "Supremes", there is no dispute there.

But Janie was there selecting the names, and probably cutting them up to be picked. I dare say all the girls had some input though. Didn't Mary recall some of the names somewhere? Wasn't one with "ette" in it, the trend at that time.

Methinks....when Flo talks about the names on Motown 1079.....doesn't she say..."and we needed it and we had a contract to sign..." That would kind of support my scenario with Janie.

There had already been a male group called The Supremes...shame they didn't have access to Google in those days.

Ruby and the Romantics were called "The Supremes" first.

Never heard bag story-always heard list; I thought there was a group of guys named Supremes[[maybe gospel ish group) first, then Ruby and Romantics.

And Diana tried to suggest they changed the name because to her it sounded like a male group but Berry liked it so it stuck. The male Supremes changed their name to Ruby and the Romantics shortly afterwards.

I do not appreciate being duped into clicking on a thread that did not tell me it was about the damned Supremes.

Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title..Descriptive thread title....Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title..Descriptive thread title....Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title..Descriptive thread title....Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title..Descriptive thread title....Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title..Descriptive thread title....Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title..Descriptive thread title....Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title..Descriptive thread title....Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title..Descriptive thread title....Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title..Descriptive thread title....Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title..Descriptive thread title....Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...

MissLish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I do not appreciate being duped into clicking on a thread that did not tell me it was about the damned Supremes.

Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title..Descriptive thread title....Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title..Descriptive thread title....Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title..Descriptive thread title....Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title..Descriptive thread title....Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title..Descriptive thread title....Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title..Descriptive thread title....Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title..Descriptive thread title....Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title..Descriptive thread title....Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title..Descriptive thread title....Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title..Descriptive thread title....Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...Descriptive thread title...

Oh dear! Will you be okay soulster?

Quote Originally Posted by MissLish View Post
    Oh dear! Will you be okay soulster?
    Man, all people have to do is tell us what a thread's about in the title. Clicking on this thread was a waste of my time. Not everyone is so enamored with the Supremes. I like their songs. That's it. Nothing else. But I don't want to read about them 24/7.
    Last edited by soulster; 01-18-2011 at 02:31 AM.

MissLish Guest
    LOL! That's cool soulster; but is it really worth agonizing about? Most of these threads are a waste of time. Everyone once and a while a true nugget is revealed. That makes it all worthwhile; no?

Quote Originally Posted by MissLish View Post
    LOL! That's cool soulster; but is it really worth agonizing about? Most of these threads are a waste of time. Everyone once and a while a true nugget is revealed. That makes it all worthwhile; no?
    No. My like for the Supremes starts and ends with the music, mainly their hit singles, as part of the overall Motown landscape. I don't care about anything else concerning them, except for maybe how their music was recorded, mixed, and mastered. So, I am not a fan.

I just want to know what a thread is about before I waste my time reading an opening post and finding it's about something i'm not interested in. It's called courteousnesses. To find that it's one of the Supremes anniversaries is not a pleasant surprise to me. It's an annoyance. If I want to know when their first single came out, i'll look it up. I don't need to know when they signed their contract. That's stuff only hardcore fans and researchers care about.

Not everyone on this forum is an obsessed Supremes fan. There are quite a bunch of us who aren't. The other forum I frequent are filled with obsessed Beatles fans. I am a bit more interested in them because of their greater musicianship and body of work, but even there I am not an obsessed fan. There's just too much music out there! Too many artists to enjoy to get obsessed with one.

No one is trying to take away your enjoyment of the Supremes, or your ability to discuss them to death. Just, if you guys can go through the trouble of creating a thread. whatever it may be, taka an extra minute to create a descriptive thread title. You can still be creative and have your element of surprise.

See, I am being constructive. Just be descriptive about your thread, and i'll stay out of your Supremes/Ross discussions.
    Last edited by soulster; 01-18-2011 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Never heard bag story-always heard list; I thought there was a group of guys named Supremes[[maybe gospel ish group) first, then Ruby and Romantics.
    That's certainly how I understood it Luke.

smark21 Guest
    Man, all people have to do is tell us what a thread's about in the title. Clicking on this thread was a waste of my time. Not everyone is so enamored with the Supremes. I like their songs. That's it. Nothing else. But I don't want to read about them 24/7.
    YOu are aware that before you click on a thread you can preview the contents of the first post if you gently touch the mouse? The first few words of the post appear in a balloon. If you did that you would be aware this is a Supremes thread.

Also, lighten up. It's just an internet discussion forum.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    YOu are aware that before you click on a thread you can preview the contents of the first post if you gently touch the mouse? The first few words of the post appear in a balloon. If you did that you would be aware this is a Supremes thread.

Also, lighten up. It's just an internet discussion forum.
    Doesn't matter. Be descriptive in your thread titles. Trying to bring an element of surprise is not good internet ettiquite.

The other names suggested were...

- The Jewelettes
    - The Royaltones
    - The Sweet P's
    - The Darleens
    - The Melodees

thank the lord they didnt choose any of them !

Brad-Thank you! *smile*

Simon - Naaah...they aren't that bad. I am sure we can think of a hell lot worse. How about

The Rossettes, or
    The Wilsonettes, or even,
    The Ballardettes

Can you imagine if Ruby had registered the name--we be yakking about the Sweet Peas!! Always read Flo picked out the name Supremes as she liked it-from the other ones.

It's funny that Diana and Mary didn't like the name Supremes because they thought it sounded too masculine. Looking at the names presented, the Royaltones sounds far more masculine.

The Supremes was the best choice, but I do like the way the Melodees sounds.

Diana and Flo mention Flo picking the name in the interview on 25th Anniversary...

Simon-25th Anniversay shows how young you are.

Many of us older guys refer to the 1965 Supremes Interview on Motown 1079

http://www.seabear.se/Motown01.html

Actually there were a few male groups called the supremes and most of em recorded!

i do not appreciate being duped into clicking on a thread that did not tell me it was about the damned supremes.

descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title..descriptive thread title....descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title..descriptive thread title....descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title..descriptive thread title....descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title..descriptive thread title....descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title..descriptive thread title....descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title..descriptive thread title....descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title..descriptive thread title....descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title..descriptive thread title....descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title..descriptive thread title....descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title..descriptive thread title....descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...descriptive thread title...
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,hey soulster tell em how you really feel!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,hey soulster tell em how you really feel!!!
    I think I made my point clear, and some will not care. Many people have no respect for others.