[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    There is a reference to the Millie Rose Mame medley. If you watch it, when they come off the stage, Florence clearly screws up the choreography - she was late on it. Either she hadn't practiced enough, wasn't good enough at it or perhaps didn't care much anymore.

If the Supremes made more money off the song than the film made, then it was a true disaster - because the Supremes weren't making a lot of money; Motown was.

I would agree with the posters who say Love Is Like An Itching, Heartaches and World is Empty are the best songs; The Happening can stick in your ear if you listen enough but that only happened to me once and I tend to skip it. Love Is Hear was the weak Supremes song and it was still a massive hit.

It doesn't really matter who was on The Happening, You Can't Hurry Love, Love is Here, In and Out of Love - like all Motown acts, what mattered was Gladys, Martha, Smokey, Diana - the lead. It's only an issue with the Supremes because they and Diana were the biggest acts with the movies and the hits.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    There is a reference to the Millie Rose Mame medley. If you watch it, when they come off the stage, Florence clearly screws up the choreography - she was late on it. Either she hadn't practiced enough, wasn't good enough at it or perhaps didn't care much anymore.

If the Supremes made more money off the song than the film made, then it was a true disaster - because the Supremes weren't making a lot of money; Motown was.
    I recall the Flo misstep in the choreography but overall her performance was good despite the mention of tensions during rehearsals for this show.

Since the comment about what the group might have made from the recording was in a gossip column for a movie mag, I didn't take it literally. I think it was a tongue-in-cheek comment about how bad the movie was rather than an accounting of Motown or The Supremes actual earnings from that song.

It doesn't really matter who was on The Happening, You Can't Hurry Love, Love is Here, In and Out of Love - like all Motown acts, what mattered was Gladys, Martha, Smokey, Diana - the lead. It's only an issue with the Supremes because they and Diana were the biggest acts with the movies and the hits.
    I agree 100 percent!'

so true..but Supremes fans fixate on a certain concept and that's that!

It could be combination of all of those factors. Remember Florence had been out of the group for a short time. Just a week earlier was the Hollywood Bowl show with Cindy and prior to that they were doing a series of one-nighters in places like Memphis and New Orleans with Marlene Barrow. Flo wasn't back for solid until the Copa Engagement in mid-May. This Ed Sullivan Show appearance was May 7th. Vocals for "Reflections" was recorded May 9th and I don't believe she's on that. So she was back and forth until Copa for which she stayed until her firing at the Flamingo on July 1st.

I've always liked The Happening. sure it's very pop and a touch kitschy. but it works here. Much of the movie themes and songs in the 60s [[whether with lyrics or instrumental only) were "zany" lol, to use a word from the era. there's an energy and liveliness to the track. I love M and F being so prominent. It's not their most powerful song but it's a fun one.

Of the "non hits" for the girls [[ie - those that didn't go #1), some I think were robbed of the top slot. Reflections, My World and I'm Gonna Make you Love Me should all have been #1. But Shame, Heartaches, Itching and In and Out just don't cut it IMO. something just seems to be missing. Heartaches seems like a perfectly fine album track for the girls. Same with Itching. they just don't *spark* to my ear light all of their hits. I'm not a huge Stop! fan but agree that it's an undeniable #1. Same with Love Is Here. these non #1 just didn't have it

And I don't think the staging and camera angles were part of an anti-flo conspiracy. The wanted group shots, Diana shots, D and M, D and F and F and M. Mary doesn't have a complete solo shot like Diana. yes she's a bit more in focus but that's simply because of the group placement and the camera placement.

also anyone ever notice at 0:15 you can see one of the cameras in the way. over on the left. Again at 0:36 and then they finally zoom in slightly at 0:39 and it's out of the rest of the shots

Here's a poster advertising The Supremes' performance of the title song.

Name:  MV5BMTllNjA3NDgtYzVhNC00ZjdkLTgzOGMtMmZiNDM2YjcwOGZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzYyMDc3MDM@._V1_.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  71.3 KB

Being a teenager at the time it was released, I loved it. It was so different. The combination fo Frank De Vol and Holland, Dozier, and Holland was inspired. It was the only good thing about the flop movie "The Happening."

Quote Originally Posted by cleoharvey View Post
    Being a teenager at the time it was released, I loved it. It was so different. The combination fo Frank De Vol and Holland, Dozier, and Holland was inspired. It was the only good thing about the flop movie "The Happening."
    Hey Cleo, it's been a long time. Good to see you posting again.

remember that Reflections was going to be the groups sawn song. Flo was gone and soon HDH was also. the deal was to release the Hits lps with the last 2 singles and have a farewell tour n bring Flo back, but she didn't and then Diana wasn't ready to go solo so she stayed until her contract was up .that's why the Reflections album wasn't released until march 68. they pulled IAOOL and FCT to fill the gap until Love Child was ready