[REMOVE ADS]

Diana: The Original Chic Mix [2 LP] Diana Ross

This title will be released on April 21, 2017.
    Among the rarest of Motown's rare grooves and making its vinyl debut: the original mix of Ross's smash 1980 album that featured 'Upside Down' and 'I'm Coming Out.' CHIC's Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers produced the album and delivered this mix only to see it rejected and remixed by Motown's in-house team. The original CHIC mix was a Motown myth until its inclusion in the Diana: deluxe edition in 2003. It s now where it belongs, on vinyl and pink vinyl, to boot.

Thanks for the heads up - just ordered it.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    This title will be released on April 21, 2017.
    Among the rarest of Motown's rare grooves and making its vinyl debut: the original mix of Ross's smash 1980 album that featured 'Upside Down' and 'I'm Coming Out.' CHIC's Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers produced the album and delivered this mix only to see it rejected and remixed by Motown's in-house team. The original CHIC mix was a Motown myth until its inclusion in the Diana: deluxe edition in 2003. It s now where it belongs, on vinyl and pink vinyl, to boot.
    Diana told me this was due to be released on vinyl but she thought it would be the fall when it would eventually come out. Glad it has been brought forward.

How cool is that?! I actually love both mixes; this will be a fun addition. Thanks!

The soundstagedirect.com website has a very curious tracklist for the pink vinyl version of the diana album!
    Name:  Schermafbeelding 2017-03-08 om 14.35.47.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  12.6 KB

I didn't even notice the track list when I placed my order on Amazon. Surely it is incorrect - but makes me wonder, after the incorrect track list of Go-Go, where these track lists are coming from!?

In the case of "diana" it is probably an overeager person at sound stage direct who looked for the "diana" album and found "Diana Ross" [[1976) instead and added "CHIC mixes." For A GO GO, I have no idea. Would be nice if Universal would post the right tracklist.

If this is indeed a double-LP, I'm guessing it will include the original mix and the Chic mix.

Quote Originally Posted by pghmusiclover View Post
    If this is indeed a double-LP, I'm guessing it will include the original mix and the Chic mix.
    That is the plan so i was told.

The original was already released on vinyl in 2016 in a limited edition of 2000 on clear vinyl on Culture Factory. Because I noticed the price was going up, I grabbed a copy last month in my local store.

I have the cd . I actually like most of the chic mixes. with exception is My Old Piano . I like the chic vocals being less prominent but I think some of the mixes were funky. Friend to Friend is really good. makes me want to go have a listen

I just remember how I happy I was to have finally been able to hear what the original Chic mixes of "Diana" sounded like. Some of them are definitely better than the ultimately released version -- Tenderness, for one, love that it was longer, and I also liked the alternate horns in the Chic version of I'm Coming Out. However, the original Upside Down and My Old Piano just didn't really do it for me if I'm honest, I definitely prefer the remixed versions of those tracks. At any rate, it was nice to finally hear what the original album sounded like. Who knows if the Chic mixed album was released back in 1980 if it would have been as successful?

I think I posted this video before, but around the 3 minute mark Russ discusses this topic and, like you DJ, purposes that would the album have done better with the original Chic mixes.

https://youtu.be/A9uiouUw2PY

I'm really curious what effect they used on the strings for Upside Down, I have the multitrack session and it's definitely not like it is on the record. Some kind of delay or compression processing in the final mix for sure

My dream right now is to get my hands on any Diana Ross and/or Supremes multitracks, I have wanted to take a proper stab at remixing their classic stuff using the actual bits and pieces. The acapellas / instrumentals on the Motown Karaoke sets are great, but still a bit limiting on what I can do as a remixer.

BTW, thanks for the Youtube link, Ralph, that was quite enlightening. I love hearing from the people who made the amazing stuff back in the day. It's great!

You are most welcome DJ. Good luck on finding the multi-tracks. Have fun mixing. You have some heavy lifting to do to beat one of Russ' mixes.

LOL, I wouldn't even dream of attempting to outdo anything Russ did, Ralph. He is an absolute expert on the matter of mixing, meanwhile I have no professional experience at all. I mix merely as a hobby, as an outlet for my creativity [[and just for the sheer love of the music and the education of seeing how songs are built and put together -- its definitely not easy and I have so much respect for those who do it, and do it well).

I have to say I'm ecstatic by all the positivity I've received for the stuff I have already shared here. I'm really flattered that so many are enjoying what I've created so far. And as I've said, the motivation only makes me want to create more. It's almost like a scavenger hunt trying to seek out the multi-tracks. I've been lucky with some artists, but hit a wall with others [[such as Diana Ross, which I'm desperate to have a crack at remixing, LOL) I'll keep the search on though, who knows, one day I may luck out.

I love Motown [[and honestly music in general), and getting to remix some of it for my own enjoyment [[and now the enjoyment of others) has been amazing, to say the least.

DJ Moch

The more you mix, the better you will get, DJ. A fact. Mix away my brother....

This is a cool release. I'm curious about the pink colour choice, as it seems to not really match the colour theme of the original black and white artwork. I would have opted for silver glitter vinyl or light blue. Perhaps if it's light pink, it won't be too much of a contrast difference. I also have the clear vinyl from Culture Factory that was released last year. Too bad they timed this release so close to the Culture Factory reissue...however I wonder if many fans stayed away from it? I have not yet played my copy but I read the audio quality isn't the greatest.

Picked it up today here in Amsterdam on Record Store Day. I was lucky to get the only copy the store received. Nice introduction by Brian Chinn on the inlay.

Got my copy yesterday. It is a beautiful package. It sounds amazing on my turn table. The two LPs only include the Chic mixes. Which is fine for me. I already have the original release on vinyl.

I bought my second copy on friday which I will keep sealed

More Chic info