[REMOVE ADS]

Classic Diana Ross on The Tonight Show

If any of you in the US get Antenna TV, a classic 1977 episode of The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson with Diana Ross as one of the guests is airing as we speak. It will repeat at 2 a.m. EST.
    Last edited by sansradio; 03-03-2017 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    If any of you in the US get Antenna TV, a classic 1977 episode of The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson with Diana Ross as one of the guests is airing as we speak. It will repeat at 2 a.m. EST.
    Thank you. I haven't seen this since it first aired. Diana looked awesome and so beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Thank you. I haven't seen this since it first aired. Diana looked awesome and so beautiful.
    You're welcome. Didn't she, though? Love that pantsuit!

Incidentally, vgalindo, did she originally perform a number on this appearance? There was a weird edit after she was announced that's making me wonder.

I didn't see it last night but if its the 1977 appearance, she sang THE LADY IS A TRAMP.

Hope someone can upload it for us outside of the States.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I didn't see it last night but if its the 1977 appearance, she sang THE LADY IS A TRAMP.
    Thanks, reese! I knew you'd know.😄

Incidentally, vgalindo, did she originally perform a number on this appearance? There was a weird edit after she was announced that's making me wonder.
    Yes she performed The Lady is a tramp. I wish they would have not cut it out last night . I remember at the time being disappointed because I wanted her to sing one of her hits. I didn't understand why she chose a lady is a tramp.

Yes she performed The Lady is a tramp. I wish they would have not cut it out last night . I remember at the time being disappointed because I wanted her to sing one of her hits. I didn't understand why she chose a lady is a tramp.
    Thanks. Yeah, why not, say, "One Love in My Lifetime," the most recent release at the time which also featured in the special? Maybe it had run its chart course already.

You know I could of sworn that they also showed a montage or clip of her An Evening with Diana Ross television special. I think that was also edited out last night.

You know I could of sworn that they also showed a montage or clip of her An Evening with Diana Ross television special. I think that was also edited out last night.
    I didn't see the original 1977 airing, but you must be correct. There was a moment in which the conversation immediately turned towards the make up process for the Josephine/Ethel/Bessie segment. A clip must have originally been shown prior.

I've watched many of these Johnny Carson reruns and very few song performances or movie/tv clips are shown. I assume the licensing is too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    I didn't see the original 1977 airing, but you must be correct. There was a moment in which the conversation immediately turned towards the make up process for the Josephine/Ethel/Bessie segment. A clip must have originally been shown prior.

I've watched many of these Johnny Carson reruns and very few song performances or movie/tv clips are shown. I assume the licensing is too expensive.
    Yes I am pretty sure they did show a clip of the special when it originally aired. Your right the conversation about the makeup makes since if they just saw the clip.

TRAMP was indeed a strange chioice. Especially since she was promoting her upcoming special, TRAMP wasn't in the special, and according to Gil Askey, by that time she was tired of the song, only performing it at Berry's insistence.

I think they showed the opening Detroit montage.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    TRAMP was indeed a strange chioice. Especially since she was promoting her upcoming special, TRAMP wasn't in the special, and according to Gil Askey, by that time she was tired of the song, only performing it at Berry's insistence.
    I just thought of this: TRAMP is included in five live LP's between 1968 and 1977, and at least four television appearances with the Supremes. Yes, she MUST have been tired of the song by the time of this interview...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    I just thought of this: TRAMP is included in five live LP's between 1968 and 1977, and at least four television appearances with the Supremes. Yes, she MUST have been tired of the song by the time of this interview...
    In an interview with the REACH OUT! newsletter, Gil Askey said that when Berry first saw the "AN EVENING WITH DIANA ROSS" concert, he asked "Where's Lady?" GIl told him that Diana was tired of doing it. Berry said "Put it back." So they did.

I had gotten so used to her doing it that I was surprised that she didn't do it during TOUR '7. Of course, that was before I found out that Diana was tired of it.

Bluebrock, from your lips to God's ears [hope you can see this across the pond]:

Bluebrock, from your lips to God's ears [hope you can see this across the pond]:
    Thank you sansradio!! I could not view it via my phone but when i tried on my laptop it played perfectly. I have never seen this before. Diana looks beautiful here. Thank you again my friend.

Indeed these were Diana's 'most beautiful woman on earth' years. I love the makeup, and the swept-back hair is my favorite of her hairstyles. The suit is glam to the max, YSL, I'm guessing? As regards 'The Lady ...', perhaps it was a scheduling / rehearsal issue and the Doc Severinson band knew the song? Carson is quite entranced by our girl - who wouldn't be?!

Anytime, Bluebrock! And PeaceNHarmony, I agree...in this era, Miss Ross was at her most alluring. This hair choice really accentuates her eyes and bone structure. And the suit? Fuggedaboutit!!!