[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes - Where The Action Is! Courtesy of Andy

The sistas going for gold...

I got this on a US VHS video....it cost a lot at the time. This is clear but I don't think the video has all the applause...I dont seem to recall all that noise. The audio was clearly recorded at the studio.

Flo's smile always gets to me....she seems such a warm and friendly person. I still find myself watching her mostly. Mary's voice comes through well on Stop In the Name Of Love. don't you think.

A great clip...

Agreed, absolutely!

In those days, Diana was trying a tad too hard, and came across as glamorous but rather carnivorous [[closing her eyes, baring her teeth rather than smiling) but her whole image softened with time, and continued success....

she was overjoyed..after being the butt of jokes at Hitsville she had found success on a scale she never imagined in her wildest dreams..fate had dealt them the winning hand...Life was full of hope..she was falling in love and on top of the world..no more bottom of the bill gigs..limos..first class travel..fur coats..the "no hit"Supremes are now next to the Beatles..life has changed- thats one happy Brewster project girl...

Oh that is just beautiful. Thank you so much for posting that.

The Facebook comments are mostly about Diana working the audience ~ the rolling eyes, handwork etc. There are also comments about Flo making eye contact with the audience.

At least the Supremes actually sang the songs even if they were prerecorded...............and didn't have a bunch of help; well..........I'm not meaning to start us down the Andantes road................but you get the drift. It was real.

Diana attracted a huge following early on with the hair, the eyelashes, the rolling eyes, the persona. As I've mentioned a few times, my family watched Ed Sullivan all the time when we grew up. Do you remember he would announce who would be on next week at the end of each show. My Mom loathed the Supremes, especially that Deeana woman and especially because of the eye rolling and eye lash flipping.

Rob

Did you and your mum eat at opposite ends of the table! HAHA

I'm surprised you said that...in my family, all Motown acts came out looking good and put in a good performance...and,as she used to say..like they've made an effort to look nice. Motown acts always got a seal of approval from my mum. Now the Rolling Stones were a different matter altogether!

Well, country music was more popular in Canada; R & B was just spreading; my Mom was a farm girl; I think Diana was a little too feminine, a little too cute and fashionable and made up for my Mom. The eyelashes put her off; but more than anything it was when they did the Diana closeup and she'd bug her eyes out at you!

It was the opera singers Ed used to have on that drove my Dad nuts; his lines were "Why do they have to scream their fool heads off like that? Why do they put people like that on there?"

Sure was a good arrangement of the songs, especially Come See About Me.
    Last edited by jobeterob; 01-17-2011 at 03:13 AM.

uptight Guest
    I've always wanted to go to Big Bear Mountain, at least to see "where the action was..." LOL

Uptight!

I suspect that by the time you got to the top of the mountain....it was all over!

lol

My favorite part of this is when Flo and Mary say "Want you,Want you...LOL" I like this clip because the arrangement and vocals are so clear! I thought Ross was horrific looking in this clip it is the only time I saw her where I didnt think she was attractive and I never liked Flos wig. Mary Wilson stood out to me every time I would see this.

Rolls my eyes...them again!

uptight Guest
    Stephanie, I wonder if it was Ross' shaped eyebrows that made her look sorta mean here. Looking at it a bit more closely, some of the lighting is from underneath that balcony, creating harsh shadows above the nostrils, lessening the glam look the girls were going for. It certainly isn't the normal indoor TV studio setup.

I dont know good thought Uptight. On a historical note this could be the beginning of the Ross drama persona. Although this is one clip of the girls I can watch over and over. Vocally its mesmerizing.

It's her eyebrows-very un-natural. To me Diana simply demands attention here. Her talent and charisma so strong - and her coat!lol And they are practically on top of each other. You've got to give it to her -she works it! And Flo catches the eye. I think poor Mary is overwhelmed in the middle! Great clip!!

Mary overwhelmed..... That's an interesting point, as I think Mary quietly but firmly makes her mark simply by being right next to Diana, but downplaying her own performance...and I find I'm watching her and Flo, while Diana just carries on, taking care of it all, supremely emoting.....

Fast forward to the mid 70's,with Mary, Scherrie & Susaye all taking care of it at the same time, and it sometimes got a bit too frenetic.

uptight Guest

Quote Originally Posted by uptight View Post

hehehehehehehe........you're bad!

As much as I like the Emotions I have always felt that the MSS grouping of Supremes could have given them a run for their money. High voices never did much for me but the coloring of Susayes voice added to the mix I really did enjoy on their last album especially We Should be Closer Together. Visually MSS had it going on and I love that album cover, and vocally well they were it. In retrospect they should have been known as disco divas.

Mary understating herself in this clip makes her standout though as WestGrand said. Ross IS demanding attention and that is what is so grating about it to me.

I saw this as a kid when it originally aired back then. Didn't see it again until around 1977 on one of those Dick Clark anniversary specials. Then it started showing up in VH-1 around the late 80's.

I don't know what's up with that helmut thing Diane is wearing, but Mary is looking phynnnneeee! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    As much as I like the Emotions I have always felt that the MSS grouping of Supremes could have given them a run for their money. High voices never did much for me but the coloring of Susayes voice added to the mix I really did enjoy on their last album especially We Should be Closer Together. Visually MSS had it going on and I love that album cover, and vocally well they were it. In retrospect they should have been known as disco divas.

Mary understating herself in this clip makes her standout though as WestGrand said. Ross IS demanding attention and that is what is so grating about it to me.
    Stephanie you are exactly right in what you just said. Compare "We Should Be Closer Together" by the Supremes and "Don't Ask My Neighbors" by the Emotions, both are great songs, both came out in the 1976-77 period, but I have to give the Supremes the edge. WHY weren't they promoted? It is almost a sin!
    Last edited by marv2; 01-17-2011 at 11:21 PM.

For those unfamiliar with the song "We Should Be Closer Together"

http://tinyurl.com/6zbqelw

Lucky day, lucky day! Here is the song in it's entirety:

http://new.music.yahoo.com/supremes/...ether--7404721

I think the basic problem with this performance is that diana looks and acts like a drag queen here. The reason Mary stands out is that her bright smile and beauty is a relief to watch in comparison to diana next to her, who is simply "trying too hard". Mary truly and deeply LOVED what she was doing, and here that comes across. It's the difference of one loving to perform, and the other desperate for fame and attention. That's just how it comes across. And Mary looking like a chocolate covered Marlo Thomas gives her that approachable, happy, sweet, girl next door look.

A chocolate Marlo Thomas that is interesting! You are right.

There is a BIG difference between someone who is singing lead and carrying the songs and someone who is singing 'oohs and ahhs" in the background. It has nothing to do with drag queens. Thats like saying little Michael Jackson was a a fame whore because he would spin on stage and do the robot while his brothers just looked like they loved to perform. This is the Legendary Diana Ross in her early years. I find it fascinating, while those that hate are just besides themselves. There is a reason why some make it to superstardom. They have and do that little extra. No need to hate.

Do we all understand Soulful Detroit has a reputation for this?

well that lead singer helped make the group the most successful US chart act of the 60s so she must have been doing something right..

Hi Jillfoster:
    You basically hit the nail on the head. I have seen Mary Wilson quite a bit over the last few years and she still comes across as you mention, "deeply loving what she is doing". I always have this feeling of relaxation and truly enjoying her performance without unnecessary distraction . I suggest that her intrinsic motivation over rules extrinsic motivators.

Good observation!

jon

Mary Wilson loves the stage, she loves to perform, she loves her audiences! There are not many better that I have witnessed. " a Chocolate covered Marlo Thomas " sounds rather nice..............hehehehehe!

The only difference is the Mary Wilson isn't well known and is basically a marginal market soul singer whereas Diana Ross received the Kennedy Centre Honours and an Academy Award Nomination amongst a bunch of other awards.

The similarity is that at a ripe old age they can still sing and still enjoy getting out there and putting on a show whereas many of their colleagues have done things to their bodies that prevent them from doing any kind of show.

Also, Ross and Wilson have kept enough of an interest in their careers so they are able to do a show and make it interesting.

This clip, with these songs in this arrangement, and the original Supremes and especially Diana, at their best, show why Diana became such a big star, show why Motown was so critical to the development of Ross and the Supremes and show why she and Wilson have been able to continue their careers.

LOL, I have always thought that Disney created Cruella DeVille [[right spelled?) with Diana Ross in mind. This couldn't have been a coincidence.
    Seeing this pic of Cruella also reminds me of many over the top cartoons of the group over the years, where Diana almost ALWAYS was somehow depicted as a Very Special Creature. She was sometimes shown in a body position which could not be achieved in reality: her head held far back, arms in a corkscrew position, looking into seventh heaven.
    In the meantime the two other girls always kept being drawned in a 'human' perspective.

Leadsingers of groups do tend to be treated that way. Up untill this day. Not right, but it's an observation of the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by skooldem1 View Post
    There is a BIG difference between someone who is singing lead and carrying the songs and someone who is singing 'oohs and ahhs" in the background. It has nothing to do with drag queens. Thats like saying little Michael Jackson was a a fame whore because he would spin on stage and do the robot while his brothers just looked like they loved to perform. This is the Legendary Diana Ross in her early years. I find it fascinating, while those that hate are just besides themselves. There is a reason why some make it to superstardom. They have and do that little extra. No need to hate.

I said Diana was trying too hard and looked forced IN THIS PERFORMANCE. And the eyebrows and gesticulations made her look like a drag queen. In other performances later on, she does not look like this. Once again, you assume I was saying that Diana is like this all the time. Some other performances, most notably "You Can't Hurry Love", "Always", and "The Happening" on Sullivan... she looks GREAT, and she is full of energy, but somehow it comes across more natural and exciting, while in this peformance, it does not. What made the biggest difference is when Maxine Powell put a stop to her bugging her eyes out. That made her MUCH more comfortable to watch, IMO.
    Last edited by jillfoster; 01-18-2011 at 09:30 PM.

smark21 Guest
    I enjoy the performance because the Supremes look and act their age in this performance and they're playing to an audience of young people. It's very refreshing and fun to watch.

As for Ross, maybe she's pitching her performance to the audience that is gathered to watch the performance and not the camera? A stagey performance caught on camera, especially in close up shots, will look over the top. More restraint and subtlety is required for a camera, especially the close up. Certainly by 1967 Ross had mastered playing to the camera as the pop eyes and the over the top emotion and gestures were under control. That's why Motown had artist development--to groom their acts to perform in all mediums.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post
    LOL, I have always thought that Disney created Cruella DeVille [[right spelled?) with Diana Ross in mind. This couldn't have been a coincidence.
    Seeing this pic of Cruella also reminds me of many over the top cartoons of the group over the years, where Diana almost ALWAYS was somehow depicted as a Very Special Creature. She was sometimes shown in a body position which could not be achieved in reality: her head held far back, arms in a corkscrew position, looking into seventh heaven.
    In the meantime the two other girls always kept being drawned in a 'human' perspective.

Leadsingers of groups do tend to be treated that way. Up untill this day. Not right, but it's an observation of the facts.
    Disney didn't create 101 Dalmatians and Cruella De Ville. Dodie Smith wrote the children's novel back in 1956 and the Disney film came out in 1961, long before the ascent Diana Ross. Though I'm sure Diana Ross found Cruella De Ville a role model.

MissLish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Disney didn't create 101 Dalmatians and Cruella De Ville. Dodie Smith wrote the children's novel back in 1956 and the Disney film came out in 1961, long before the ascent Diana Ross. Though I'm sure Diana Ross found Cruella De Ville a role model.

LOLOLOLOL!!!

;o)

I don't know guys, I'm just not seeing the resemblance.....

I find the eye popping and facial expressions in clips like the T.A.M.I show and Come See About Me On Sullivan quite endearing...
    Last edited by nomis; 01-19-2011 at 12:34 AM.

topdiva1 Guest
    Wow just great - and Ross was at the beginning of what would become a great career - she just had it - but they all did - thanks for posting this true classic early Supremes diamond.

MissLish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I find the eye popping and facial expressions in clips like the T.A.M.I show and Come See About Me On Sullivan quite endearing...

@ nomis :O)

Marv: That last picture has got to be a fake or doctored up? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Marv: That last picture has got to be a fake or doctored up? Right?

Oh there is NOTHING fake about Diana Ross , you know that.........[[smile)! That's just Diane on her day off.

yep... that's what she looks like without her makeup.

This has got to be the same place that the girls did the photo shoot for the Christmas album right ?

yes..for the picture on the xmas "7...