[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Motown Remixes

Motown Remixes

Hi there. As I'm a relatively new member on this board, I don't want to overstep my bounds here. But I'm hoping I would be allowed to share one of my Motown extended remixes [[via a Youtube link). As I wrote in the welcome thread when I first joined, I am an amateur remixer with an absolute love and admiration for all things Motown. I am by no means a professional, I mix only as a hobby and as a way to keep practicing my skills. So far I've remixed several Motown songs [[keeping them in their original style - not modern remixes) as well as many, many non-Motown ones.

For a start, here's an extended reconstruction I made of Marvin & Tammi's "Ain't No Mountain High Enough". One of my favourite Motown duets ever. Such a brilliant song, and Marvin & Tammi were so adorable together. Such a shame the world lost her at such a young age.

Please enjoy, I hope you like it. [[And I hope the Youtube link works, this is my first attempt at posting a video on this board).

Emile [[aka DJ Moch)

Very nice Emile!

Thanks for posting.

Cheers

Paul

Wow! Just wow! Excellent mix and use of the Almighty Funk Bros., especially Benny, Jamerson and Pistol. This is a great, great mix!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    Wow! Just wow! Excellent mix and use of the Almighty Funk Bros., especially Benny, Jamerson and Pistol. This is a great, great mix!!!
    Thanks, stingbeelee, for the very kind comments. It means a lot to get feedback, whether it's positive or negative. I will gladly share any more of my remixes as I create them, I have a few more Motown ones I've done, and definitely will keep on scouring for more classic Motown stuff to work on. It's so nice to be a part of a group who loves and appreciates Motown as much as I do. It's a pity I was only born in 1975 -- I would have loved to have been able to hear these classics as they were created at the time. It must have been such an exciting experience.

Anyway, being able to remix these classics in my own way is so much fun, and I definitely feel I'm getting better with each one I attempt. And I like that I can share the results with people who appreciate the brilliance that came out of the Motown family. There really was nothing like Motown, was there?

DJ Moch

Congrats, DJ Moch, on a great remix of a classic Motown tune! Love that you stuck to the original track without adding “outside” elements which tend to detract, not enhance. Hope this is the first of many remixes you’ll post here.

Love it,.Emile! You sure made those Motown strings sing! Keep up the good work. I can hardly wait to hear the rest of your Motown remixes!

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    Thanks, stingbeelee, for the very kind comments. It means a lot to get feedback, whether it's positive or negative. I will gladly share any more of my remixes as I create them, I have a few more Motown ones I've done, and definitely will keep on scouring for more classic Motown stuff to work on. It's so nice to be a part of a group who loves and appreciates Motown as much as I do. It's a pity I was only born in 1975 -- I would have loved to have been able to hear these classics as they were created at the time. It must have been such an exciting experience.

Anyway, being able to remix these classics in my own way is so much fun, and I definitely feel I'm getting better with each one I attempt. And I like that I can share the results with people who appreciate the brilliance that came out of the Motown family. There really was nothing like Motown, was there?

DJ Moch
    Hey there. Please continue to share your great remixes on here. It is good that you are adding your own slant but remaining respectful to the originals. I am very impressed my friend. You are a breath of fresh air on this forum and i hope to hear a lot more from you in the future. Best wishes to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Hey there. Please continue to share your great remixes on here. It is good that you are adding your own slant but remaining respectful to the originals. I am very impressed my friend. You are a breath of fresh air on this forum and i hope to hear a lot more from you in the future. Best wishes to you.
    Thanks so much. I definitely prefer styling my mixes to keep them as faithful to the originals as I possibly can. I idolize mixers like Tom Moulton, everything he touches turns to gold and I've been a fan of his mixing style for a long as I can remember. I love that he's even worked his magic on Motown.

I've been lucky to have mixed quite a bit of stuff in the last couple years. I've actually been mixing as a hobby since 2000, but only in the last year and a half have I actively hunted out the bits and pieces to try and create more authentic mixes that stay true to the original material. Sadly though, I've not found much in the way of Motown, at least the classic 1960s era. I do own a lot of those Motown Karaoke sets that came out a good decade ago, so I suppose I do have a good selection of Motown classics to work with, LOL.

So far I have remixed a couple Jackson 5 tracks - ABC and Never Can Say Goodbye and two of Stevie's later classics - Sir Duke and I Wish. I'll definitely share what I've created so far as I'm incredibly proud of what I've done, and so far the positive responses have been so wonderful. I'll post something up later this afternoon once I get home from work.

Thanks again for the nice comments, guys. It really means a lot.

DJ Moch

Thanks so much. I definitely prefer styling my mixes to keep them as faithful to the originals as I possibly can. I idolize mixers like Tom Moulton, everything he touches turns to gold and I've been a fan of his mixing style for a long as I can remember. I love that he's even worked his magic on Motown.

I've been lucky to have mixed quite a bit of stuff in the last couple years. I've actually been mixing as a hobby since 2000, but only in the last year and a half have I actively hunted out the bits and pieces to try and create more authentic mixes that stay true to the original material. Sadly though, I've not found much in the way of Motown, at least the classic 1960s era. I do own a lot of those Motown Karaoke sets that came out a good decade ago, so I suppose I do have a good selection of Motown classics to work with, LOL.

So far I have remixed a couple Jackson 5 tracks - ABC and Never Can Say Goodbye and two of Stevie's later classics - Sir Duke and I Wish. I'll definitely share what I've created so far as I'm incredibly proud of what I've done, and so far the positive responses have been so wonderful. I'll post something up later this afternoon once I get home from work.

Thanks again for the nice comments, guys. It really means a lot.

DJ Moch
    It should be us thanking you for successfully breathing new life into this wonderful music. You are respecting the legacy whilst putting a fascinating slant on these classics.I am sure i speak for almost everyone on this forum when i say how great it is to have you on board and we look forward to hearing much more from you in the future. Thank you once again my friend.

DJ Moch, I would only have one slight criticism of your remix - it wasn't long enough! What a delightful listen. I find it in the vein of Tom Moulton who also sticks closely with the original recording but utilizes aspects at different times to bring the subtleties out. Please continue posting. I am happy to continue listening.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    DJ Moch, I would only have one slight criticism of your remix - it wasn't long enough!.
    Well for the most part that won't be a problem, LOL. Speaking as a huge fan of disco music, I definitely have no problem with songs that go on and on. That said, here is another of my reconstructions for your enjoyment. An 8 minute [[see, I told ya!) rework of the J5's "Never Can Say Goodbye". I really like how this one turned out, with a slow, orchestral build at the start and a break down and rebuild at the end. Enjoy!

DJ Moch

Two in a row. Excellent remixes, that is!

And here's one more mix. Don't want to flood you guys with too much at once, but want to share one of my Stevie remixes. Here's an 8+ extended reworking of his classic "Sir Duke". Enjoy!

DJ Moch

I apologize for posting one more, but I was feeling particularly inspired this evening, so I worked on a brand new rework, and you guys are the first to hear it. Bolstered by the many positive comments y'all gave my Marvin & Tammi rework, I present another Marvin & Tammi reconstruction for your listening pleasure. Here is my reconstruction of "Ain't Nothin' Like The Real Thing." And like in the other remix, I give the Funk Brothers their dues with some solo passages through the song. Building the mix up, you realize just how amazing these dudes were!

Anyway, enjoy my latest. I'm going to bed. LOL

I apologize for posting one more, but I was feeling particularly inspired this evening, so I worked on a brand new rework, and you guys are the first to hear it. Bolstered by the many positive comments y'all gave my Marvin & Tammi rework, I present another Marvin & Tammi reconstruction for your listening pleasure. Here is my reconstruction of "Ain't Nothin' Like The Real Thing." And like in the other remix, I give the Funk Brothers their dues with some solo passages through the song. Building the mix up, you realize just how amazing these dudes were!

Anyway, enjoy my latest. I'm going to bed. LOL

Please do not ever apologise for posting. We would love to hear more from you not less. Keep up your inspiring work. We are loving it!

Here's one more for you guys to enjoy today. I created this extended version of The Supremes' "Stoned Love" years ago, around the time that the Motown Karaoke CDs came out. Enjoy!

DJ Moch

Excellent remixes! Thank you for sharing.

Hi guys. Here's a new J5 extended version for you. Here I rework "The Love You Save". It was made using the version / acapella that appeared on the Motown Karaoke CDs from about a decade ago. For the future, I may look to that set to work on some more Motown extended versions. But for now, enjoy!

DJ Moch

And one more Jackson 5 for you [[I just happened to find a lot of J5 stuff to rework, other Motown stuff was tougher to find). Anyway, this one is a reconstruction of "ABC" which uses a bunch of alternate vocals. Please enjoy, my friends.

DJ Moch

I really dig your approach. Keep 'em comin' and welcome to The Forum!

Hey DYMoch. you should be proud! I'm a road warrior this week so only heard Ain't No Mountain" & "Sir Duke" so far but well impressed. You are a true disciple of Tom Moulton. M&T's mix is like sitting right there in The Snakepit. I admit I approached "Sir Duke" with trepidation but I simply love it! You bring out so many "invisible" treats on the track without for a moment losing any of the momentum. It even reveals more than that Stevie DVD where he recreates the album years after the event with the original players. Respect my man!

Oh, DJ Moch, I just listened to Stoned Love and can't thank you enough. At last Jean's buried vocal to the fore. How I love her voice. And justice at last as you strip Mary and Cindy's voices bare - they are fabulous. These mixes are AWESOME.

Hey DJ Moch

Have you checked out the youtube channel of Mosogotam

Yeah, I've definitely checked out his extended versions, he does some fantastic work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishTony View Post
    You are a true disciple of Tom Moulton.
    You have no idea how happy that comment makes me. Hell, he is the grand-daddy of them all, and I aspire through my mixes to emulate his style. And to be called a disciple makes me blush, to be honest. I'm so happy my mixes have been so well-received. It definitely gives me the motivation to carry on and create more. Time, unfortunately, doesn't allow me to much at the moment. But I will definitely keep on sharing as I create. It's nice to have such an appreciative audience. That means a lot, honestly.

DJ Moch

I'm a big follower of these extended versions that keep to the original feeling. I'm impressed so far but I'm giving you a challenge......try and give your treatment to any song by the Velvelettes.

You have no idea how happy that comment makes me. Hell, he is the grand-daddy of them all, and I aspire through my mixes to emulate his style. And to be called a disciple makes me blush, to be honest. I'm so happy my mixes have been so well-received. It definitely gives me the motivation to carry on and create more. Time, unfortunately, doesn't allow me to much at the moment. But I will definitely keep on sharing as I create. It's nice to have such an appreciative audience. That means a lot, honestly.

DJ Moch
    Ok. I'm gonna put one on my Facebook page for Tom to check out. Which one do you want me to put up for him to listen to

I'd suggest my most recent remix, my Marvin & Tammi "Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing". I really love how that one turned out. I would love to get an opinion from The Master himself.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I'm a big follower of these extended versions that keep to the original feeling. I'm impressed so far but I'm giving you a challenge......try and give your treatment to any song by the Velvelettes.
    Well, I do have the karaoke / acapella of "Needle In A Haystack" [[one of my faves, I have to admit). I'll make that my next challenge. Hopefully I will have some time in the next few days to work on it.

Well, I do have the karaoke / acapella of "Needle In A Haystack" [[one of my faves, I have to admit). I'll make that my next challenge. Hopefully I will have some time in the next few days to work on it.
    No rush no rush.

I'm also quite proud of my J5 "Never can say goodbye" reconstruction, especially the slow orchestral buildup in the first two minutes. You can share that one as well if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    No rush no rush.
    I know I wasn't meant to rush, but couldn't resist taking the opportunity this evening to work on my Velvelettes reconstruction. And here's my extension of "Needle In A Haystack" for [[hopefully) your pleasure. Thanks for the suggestion, I really like how it turned out. Hope you do too.

DJ Moch

The Velvelettes "Needle In A Haystack" -- Wow, Emile! Many pleasant surprises contained within that clever remix! Thanks!

Now that is real cute. I enjoyed that. Well done

I'm awarding you a "with merit" accolade.

I'm also quite proud of my J5 "Never can say goodbye" reconstruction, especially the slow orchestral buildup in the first two minutes. You can share that one as well if you like.
    I love this one too along with the Supremes Stoned Love. You are doing a great job my friend and we appreciate your efforts. Keep up the great work.

And one more for you guys. I had a crack at extending my favourite Motown tune of all time, "You Keep Me Hangin' On". It's always been my favourite, since I was a kid [[*love* the telegraph-style guitar line in this song), and I really like how this reconstruction turned out. I've noticed that it takes a lot less time for me to create these Motown mixes than some of the other remixes I've done in the past. They're a little less complex to deal with, but the results have been just as satisfying. Anyway, enjoy some extended Supremes.

DJ Moch

And one more for you guys. I had a crack at extending my favourite Motown tune of all time, "You Keep Me Hangin' On". It's always been my favourite, since I was a kid [[*love* the telegraph-style guitar line in this song), and I really like how this reconstruction turned out. I've noticed that it takes a lot less time for me to create these Motown mixes than some of the other remixes I've done in the past. They're a little less complex to deal with, but the results have been just as satisfying. Anyway, enjoy some extended Supremes.

DJ Moch

I think i am falling in love with you! Stop it please! These remixes are just too much. I don't know what else to say. Over to you my friend................

I came across your reconstruction of the Velvelettes' "Needle In A Haystack" on YouTube by chance and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Excellent work.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I came across your reconstruction of the Velvelettes' "Needle In A Haystack" on YouTube by chance and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Excellent work.
    DJ Moch, your extended version of “Needle...” is fantastic!

Here's one more new one for you guys, before I head to bed. I got motivated reading through the "Favourite String Arrangement" thread, and saw Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" listed. I decided to create a stripped-down arrangement, taking out a good chunk of the instrumentation [[drums, piano and guitars) to focus on the gorgeous strings, the bass, some light percussion and vibes, and of course Marvin's amazing vocals. Not extended, but wanted to show this beautiful song in a different light. Enjoy!

Last edited by DJMoch; 03-12-2017 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Reworked my reconstruction a bit, so uploaded new video for it.

DJ Moch; you have taken me back to Outer Drive and Monica St.!!

And another challenge was set up for me, from the "Happening" thread. I had mentioned that its B-side "All I Know About You" was cute enough, but entirely too short. I was challenged to make an extension. As I only had the song itself to work from, I attempted to filter out Diana's vocals to try and get some passages with only Mary and Flo, but along with the main vocals, it also took away the drum line. In order to try and fill the sound out a bit I brought in hand claps...and the stomping feet from Where Did Our Love Go.

Not quite as satisfied with the results, they're definitely rougher, but it was the best I could do with my limited resources. At any rate, here's the end result. Not my finest hour, but hopefully enjoyment will still be found in it.

Cheers, my friends.

DJ Moch

that's quite cute....

And here's another [[funky) reconstruction for this evening. This is my extended disco reconstruction of Stevie Wonder's super funky "I Wish". This, like my reworking of "Sir Duke," is my attempt to create an extended 12" disco version, which both tracks were sorely lacking back in the day. In this case, I stretch "I Wish" out for an 8 1/2 minute funky workout. Enjoy!

DJ Moch

And here's another [[funky) reconstruction for this evening. This is my extended disco reconstruction of Stevie Wonder's super funky "I Wish". This, like my reworking of "Sir Duke," is my attempt to create an extended 12" disco version, which both tracks were sorely lacking back in the day. In this case, I stretch "I Wish" out for an 8 1/2 minute funky workout. Enjoy!

DJ Moch

Love it dj!! Love it a lot. Please carry on treating us to these gems. Thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Love it dj!! Love it a lot. Please carry on treating us to these gems. Thank you again.
    I agree with Bluebrock. Awesome job. Can't wait for more.

Since I've not made any new Motown remixes recently, in the meantime I've started uploading some of my other non-Motown mixes to my Youtube account if you guys are interested in hearing them. I'll be adding more of them to my playlists as time goes on [[and if Youtube lets me, a few so far have been rejected outright upon upload, which gets frustrating).

Anyway, here's a link to all my various playlists, split into Motown, 70s remixes and 80s remixes. Hope you give them a listen, and hope you like them as much as you've been liking my Motown reconstructions. As I said, I love music. And I've loved the opportunity to give them my own spin.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRx...YICw/playlists

Enjoy!
    DJ Moch