[REMOVE ADS]

Mono Reflections Promo LP's.....??

Hello All,
    I've been seriously collecting Motown records since about 2012, although I had quite a few in my collection prior to visiting Hitsville, USA for the first time in the summer of 2012, an event that forever changed my life, lol. I went from maybe 20 LP's and a handful of 45's to now over 200 LP's and at least 1000 45's in the last 5 years.
    At any rate, my question. In the last 5 years I have never seen a mono WLP [[white label promo) of the Supremes "Reflections" LP, although there are designated promo covers. I have seen exactly 3 covers in all those years. Mine is an original still sealed copy and I do not plan on opening it to get my answer. One of the other 2 I've seen was a cover only, no record, and the last was on Ebay completed item number 152388400048 which had a promo cover, but contained a stock label disc. It also catches my eye that even though mono covers exist for this LP, all promo designated copies I've seen have been stereo covers with the Motown promo oval sticker placed over stereo in the upper left.
    So, has anyone ever seen a mono WLP of "Reflections", or are they all simply stock label copies with designated promo covers? Any enlightenment on this would be welcomed.
    Another side question.....does anyone know when Motown started issuing WLP LP's? They seem to be, IMO, one of the most prolific companies to release WLP LP's. Almost all releases from '68 on seem to have a WLP available.....although some are really quite scarce!
    Thanks for any help!
    Darin

Name:  Reflections.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  58.2 KB

I've never seen a WLP copy of Reflections although like you said stock mono copies exist [[I have one as well), so I doubt there would be a white label copy. To my knowledge, the white label mono albums for DJ's were put out when there were no stock mono editions of albums as Motown was transition to stereo only albums in '68. But I could be wrong. Your picture raises a concern for me - I have a Chuck Jackson Arrives! mono album with the "monaural record DJ copy" sticker on the front but a stock label record came inside. Records show the album was available in mono so I thought the record was switched but that doesn't appear to be the case...

I'd love to hear from other insightful members on this board.

Coincidentally, do you have a mono copy of the Love Child album, WLP or stock?

Does Motown not have those mono Dj copies anymore? It would be nice to get those 68' albums in stereo and mono.

Would Reflections be the last Expanded edition to contain both mono and stereo?

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    Would Reflections be the last Expanded edition to contain both mono and stereo?
    I believe so. The mono and stereo albums had different mixes. I think Love Child had a promo mono LP, but from what I heard it was the stereo mix flatted to mono.

Quote Originally Posted by justanothermotownfan View Post
    To my knowledge, the white label mono albums for DJ's were put out when there were no stock mono editions of albums as Motown was transition to stereo only albums in '68. But I could be wrong.

Coincidentally, do you have a mono copy of the Love Child album, WLP or stock?
    Thank you for your reply. I'm leaning more towards the record contained in my designated promo cover is probably just a stock label record.

The only mono WLP I own personally that doesn't fall under your statement would be my "Stevie Wonder's Greatest Hits" TM282. Here again, it is a stereo cover with the DJ sticker covering the word stereo in the upper right, and this LP was available commercially with both mono and stereo covers. Other than this one, I think you are correct that these DJ WLP mono records are for LP's not commercially available in mono. These would include "Ridin High", "Funny Girl", and "Talk of The Town". "Sophisticated Soul" by the Marvelettes confuses me a bit though. I have the mono DJ WLP for this release, but the only guidebook I have lists that this LP was commercially available in both mono and stereo. I have not seen a standard release mono copy of this record, only stereo, so the guidebook could be wrong and this is a mono promo only release as well. Does anyone have any insight?

Lastly, no.....I have never seen a mono copy of "Love Child" promo or stock. I have only heard it exists by different posts on this forum over the years. I "lurked" a long time before becoming a member!
    Darin

Not sure if it is rare, but I have a mono copy of DIANA ROSS AND THE SUPREMES JOIN THE TEMPTATIONS. It doesn't have a sticker. Mono is printed in capital letters above the Motown logo on the right side of the middle third of the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Not sure if it is rare, but I have a mono copy of DIANA ROSS AND THE SUPREMES JOIN THE TEMPTATIONS. It doesn't have a sticker. Mono is printed in capital letters above the Motown logo on the right side of the middle third of the cover.
    It seems to be extremely rare, at least for me. I've been looking for one for ages and can't locate one.

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I'm leaning more towards the record contained in my designated promo cover is probably just a stock label record.

The only mono WLP I own personally that doesn't fall under your statement would be my "Stevie Wonder's Greatest Hits" TM282. Here again, it is a stereo cover with the DJ sticker covering the word stereo in the upper right, and this LP was available commercially with both mono and stereo covers. Other than this one, I think you are correct that these DJ WLP mono records are for LP's not commercially available in mono. These would include "Ridin High", "Funny Girl", and "Talk of The Town". "Sophisticated Soul" by the Marvelettes confuses me a bit though. I have the mono DJ WLP for this release, but the only guidebook I have lists that this LP was commercially available in both mono and stereo. I have not seen a standard release mono copy of this record, only stereo, so the guidebook could be wrong and this is a mono promo only release as well. Does anyone have any insight?

Lastly, no.....I have never seen a mono copy of "Love Child" promo or stock. I have only heard it exists by different posts on this forum over the years. I "lurked" a long time before becoming a member!
    Darin
    Darin, you are correct about Stevie's Greatest Hits. I completely forgot about that one in the collection. Ridin' High is a mono WLP as well.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I agree with justanothermotownfan.....DRATS Join The Tempts in mono is extremely tough to find. I have been looking for a copy for years and have yet to find one as well. I thought I had found one a few years ago in an antique mall, it had a mono cover but contained a stereo record. I kick myself now for not buying it for the cover at least, as I haven't even seen another MONO cover, lol!

I was going to mention earlier that finding a mono "Reflections" in good condition is pretty tough to do as well. I have 3 copies myself but do not consider any of the 3 on par with the condition I strive for in my collection. I guess I've found out today that my sealed "promo" more than likely contains a mint copy, but I'm talking about an open copy that I could listen to if I wanted to. I would say you see one mono for every 35 or more stereo copies.

By the way, a forum member did email me and inform me that the "Sophisticated Soul" LP was only commercially released in stereo, so evidently the Goldmine book I have is incorrect in their listing it as commercially available in both formats.
    Thanks everyone for the replies so far,
    Darin