[REMOVE ADS]

Songs that are different to what you expect from an artist/group

I was listening to the Isley Brothers Anthology today and Nevermore strikes me as a song that is different to their normal style. I also feel the same about Tammi's Don't Let Me Be Lonely. Both of these songs are excellent IMO.

Can you think of similar songs from other Motown artists/groups?

Eamonn

What about I HAD A DREAM by Shorty Long?

"Anyone Who Had A heart ' by the Supremes on "Meet" expanded....I thought it would be an early whiney Ross vocal..it smacked me right out of the box..the polish on the vocal..Flo never sounded so strong on a Supreme track its hard to believe it was recorded live at the period it was..its so mature..it surprised the hell out of me...

MissLish Guest
    Diana Ross: Turn Me Over

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    "Anyone Who Had A heart ' by the Supremes on "Meet" expanded....I thought it would be an early whiney Ross vocal..it smacked me right out of the box..the polish on the vocal..Flo never sounded so strong on a Supreme track its hard to believe it was recorded live at the period it was..its so mature..it surprised the hell out of me...
    I agree Simon.....the Vandellas I Remember You is one like that for me. Frank Ifield maybe but Martha! Martha sounds great though.

Another Supremes track I would put in that category..."I saw him standing there".

Kamasu - I agree. I love Shorty Long too

Smile

"Wonderful Baby" by the Four Tops from their "Reach Out" album.

Oh and, of course, "What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye. This is no surprise in retrospect but, back then, the style of the song and the complex arrangement, combined with the rather strange mix used on the single was a real shock to someone used to "Grapevine", "Too Busy Thinking About My Baby", "Abraham, Martin and John" etc.
    Last edited by Sotosound; 01-16-2011 at 08:07 AM.

"Green Grow The Lilacs" by THE ORIGINALS

and

"We'll Have It Made" by THE SPINNERS

The first one to me sounds like something THE ASSOCIATION might have done, and the second just sounds like some MOR/Pop act.

I always liked THE ASSOCIATION and I find "Green Grow The Lilacs" quite listenable .. the other one I'm playing at the moment to see if it sounds better with time and I still just don't get it!!

Roger

The Young Folks by the Supremes which I don't like much anymore.

The solo I Want A Guy by Diana Ross on the Meet The Supremes Expanded Edition...........as Nomis says.........the whiny sound is gone; the high pitched background is gone; totally unexpected at that time.

I fail to understand why but there is a Temptations song that many cannot get into. [[No names will be mentioned!)

Positively Absolutely Right

I love it to bits but there are still some that haven't latched onto this one.....which reminds me - Andre Williams is still performing...he was in Montpellier France in October 2010

I remember hearing[who's gonna take the blame-the miracles]for the first time and being blown away because smokey sounded so serious...how about[i'm living in shame-the supremes]i half expected the movie[imitation of life] to start...even if david had stayed[cloud nine ]was miles away from anything that they had done at that time!!

love machine miracles
    i am love j5
    love hangover d.ross
    the commodores "slippery when its wet"
    cant remember exactly if it was "music of my mind" or "talking book" by stevie that suprised me the most.
    "whats going on" definately did
    "nathan jones" aswell,i heard that for the 1st time while i was in hawaii,my 10 year old brother guessed the supremes staight off!ashamed to admit i hadnt a clue and the radio station never told us who was singing just loads of adverts like "your dollar buys more at a wigwam store....WIGWAM!" didnt find out 'till we got back to uk.my brother never let me forget either!
    herb alpert "rise" was so different from the tijuana brass stuff my parents liked.
    the beatles "i am the walrus"
    grover washington jr "mister magic"
    and as for going backwards,chicago went from the powerhouse stuff to "if you leave me now"
    oops...i just realised i'm in motown not soulful detroit forum
    i'l leave 'em in tho'
    Last edited by tamla617; 01-17-2011 at 06:54 PM.

Roger
    When I heard the Association do Six Man Band I was blown away! I love their music and thought of them as two steps above the Lettermen and the Sandpipers and when I heard this song I though oh they can rock a little. I saw them live and when they did this song I was shocked that it was a part of their playlist.

Supremes - Going Down for the Third Time! Supremes have never been grittier than this and they will never equal it [[the Ross led group) When I heard the remake of Heat wave I hung them out to dry but this song proves they could handle grit. I know Love Child has some soulful stuff on it [[Cant Shake it Loose) but this song was the gritties they ever got and I was hoping there would be more like this but there wasnt.

Fleetwood Mac -Tusk! What a waste it must have been Mr Experimentation Linsday Buckingham at it again. I dont even know the point of this record was he trying to be Sgt Pepper or something?

Steph

I actually bought those Lyndsey Buckingham albums. I really liked them too. Taint nobody more surprised than me!

Xtown the only thing I like by Mr Buckingham is I think im in Trouble and thats it. Love him more with the MAC.

smark21 Guest
    Some of the songs on the Supremes Jimmy Webb album would qualify, especially Once in the Morning. The Supremes dueting with Jimmy Webb on a song about a cocaine habit.

MissLish Guest
    Good call smark21; I just listened to OITM and it is absolutely about cocaine addiction. I hadn't realize it, all these years..shocking!! I wonder how Barney Ales felt about this one?! LMAO!!

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Xtown the only thing I like by Mr Buckingham is I think im in Trouble and thats it. Love him more with the MAC.
    You didn't like "Big Love"? Come on Stephanie....everybody liked "Big Love" LOL!!!!

One I can think of right now is when Earth, Wind & Fire came out with "September". I bought their best of album when it first came out, and when it got to that song, I recall how lame it sounded, and how it was an obvious pander to pop...er...White audiences. It went against everything they had done before, and I hated it! Of course, I should have seen it coming, as "Fantasy" was wildly popular with the pop audience. My high school band even recorded it for one of their albums.

Anyway, I used to hate playing the second side of the album because i'd have to get up, move the needle over, and skip the damn song.

Let me be clear: I love pop music and grew up with it. Just not when traditionally R&B/funk/jazz artists change what they are to get sales from a different audience. Sometimes it works, but usually, it doesn't.
    Last edited by soulster; 01-18-2011 at 03:13 AM.

MissLish Guest
    That reminds me soulster; Miss Lish needs to add some EWF to her collection as well. xo

Quote Originally Posted by MissLish View Post
    That reminds me soulster; Miss Lish needs to add some EWF to her collection as well. xo
    You don't have any???? That's crazy! They are essential! My advice? Start with "That's The Way Of The World". Move consecutively to each album up to "Powerlight", and then work backward to "Head To The Sky". After that, work the fringes.

I guarantee that every song on every album in the 70s is enjoyable. You won't skip a thing!
    Last edited by soulster; 01-18-2011 at 03:24 PM.

MissLish Guest
    Yeppers! Huge fan back in the day; more so of their live performances. I actually went to school with Larry Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by MissLish View Post
    Yeppers! Huge fan back in the day; more so of their live performances. I actually went to school with Larry Dunn.
    They did awsome shows back in the 70s, and even today, they give you a very visual spectacle!

Larry Dunn's from Devner.

I was surprised at[love's gonna rain on you-archie bell]great song but they always sang about dancing not lost love!