[REMOVE ADS]

Mable John - Your Good Thing

One of the very first artist signed to Tamla Records. The incomparable Ms. Mable John! Check her out:

Marv a big thanks for bring Mabel John to our attention - a truly great R & B singer and yes indeed one of the first artists to be signed to the Tamla label. I understand she was a personal friend of Berry Gordy's and that by signing her, he had hoped that he might be able to attract her more famous and successful brother Little Willie John as well. That move didn't happen however!

However, I'm slightly disappointed the song you've featured as an example of her work is sadly not one she recorded at Motown, so it doesn't feature in the above shown "My Name Is Mable" CD. "Your Good Thing [[Is About To End" was recorded for and released by Stax in 1966 shortly after Mable left Motown earlier that same year.

You're welcome Motownjohnny. Yes Mable was a personal Gordy family friend. She worked selling insurance in Bertha Gordy's agency, Berry's mother. Her brother, the legendary Little Willie John is simply iconic! He did most of his recordings for King Records. Both brother and sister were tremendously talented. Berry Gordy was blessed by God to have so many great artists surrounding him in those days.

I know, "Your Good Thing" was also recorded and made famous by Lou Rawls. I really wanted to showcase Mabel's ability. You know she was also one of Ray Charles Ikettes at one time right?

Cheers Marv for the comments. As it happens I did know Mabel sang with the Ikettes starting in I believe 1969 after she had left Stax and finishing around 1980 - quite a run don't you think?

Now were you aware that her remake of her earlier hit "Who Wouldn't Love A Man Like That" and issued in 1963 was according to Mabel produced by Little Stevie Wonder when he was only 13 - his first song production. Now oddly the version in the Complete Motown Singles box set for 1963 credits the songs producers as Holland and Dozier although the notes do credit Stevie as having done the production. Mabel is quoted as saying " ......as much as I love Berry and the song, I do like the way Stevie produced it." So I'm not sure if that comment means that there is yet another version of this song still in the vaults - if there is I'd sure love to hear it!

Mabel John was NEVER one of the Ikettes. She was a Raelet with one her best recordings being "Bad Water" on the Tangerine Label.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    Mabel John was NEVER one of the Ikettes. She was a Raelet with one her best recordings being "Bad Water" on the Tangerine Label.

I meant Raeletts.......darn! LOL!

If I'm not mistaken, Mable John's tenure as a Raelette coincided with that of another beloved Motown diva.... Ms Susaye Greene!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmo View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Mable John's tenure as a Raelette coincided with that of another beloved Motown diva.... Ms Susaye Greene!
    That's true and I believe they are close friends still to this day.

I love Mable John! That gritty, soulful, bluesy voice... it was a shame she didn't have much success at Motown.

Oh and this is my all-time FAVE Mable John song!!!

[[Sorry if the video doesn't work, stupid YouTube)

Mable John and her brother, Little Willie John have long been favorites of mine. Her nephew, Keith John has been one of Stevie Wonder's singers for something like 30 years!

Quote Originally Posted by motownjohnny View Post
    Now were you aware that her remake of her earlier hit "Who Wouldn't Love A Man Like That" and issued in 1963 was according to Mabel produced by Little Stevie Wonder when he was only 13 - his first song production. Now oddly the version in the Complete Motown Singles box set for 1963 credits the songs producers as Holland and Dozier although the notes do credit Stevie as having done the production. Mabel is quoted as saying " ......as much as I love Berry and the song, I do like the way Stevie produced it." So I'm not sure if that comment means that there is yet another version of this song still in the vaults - if there is I'd sure love to hear it!
    Stevie may indeed have produced the track, as Mable recalled, but he didn't have a producer contract with Motown at the time, so the official credit went to H-D-H.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Stevie may indeed have produced the track, as Mable recalled, but he didn't have a producer contract with Motown at the time, so the official credit went to H-D-H.
    Thanks Keith for helping clear that up!