[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Dreamgirls premiere on TCM tonight

    I didnt remember a lot of it and watched much of it tonight. The guy on TCM introducing the movie spoke of Florence and Diana specifically. The play seemed to carefully avoid Supremes specifics but not the movie. I recall Smokey speaking against it but did Berry ever consider legal action especially the portrayal of "Rainbow Records" and its chief? I realize it's fictionalized but they even have identical Supremes album covers on the walls!

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I didnt remember a lot of it and watched much of it tonight. The guy on TCM introducing the movie spoke of Florence and Diana specifically. The play seemed to carefully avoid Supremes specifics but not the movie. I recall Smokey speaking against it but did Berry ever consider legal action especially the portrayal of "Rainbow Records" and its chief? I realize it's fictionalized but they even have identical Supremes album covers on the walls!
    Oh omg i watch tcm all t time unf i flew to florida on t 7th so i missed it will they do a repeat. Its nice t see tcm update there movie list w newer black titles so few r shown. Cabin in t sky, guess whose coming t dinner, imiitation of life, and sounder are few of t black titles they show but nothing post 1980 that i recall

  3. #3
    Still think Eddie Murphy should have won Best Actor (Alan Arkin ) for Dreamgirls the movie! Did you see the shade Eddie was throwing?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I didnt remember a lot of it and watched much of it tonight. The guy on TCM introducing the movie spoke of Florence and Diana specifically. The play seemed to carefully avoid Supremes specifics but not the movie. I recall Smokey speaking against it but did Berry ever consider legal action especially the portrayal of "Rainbow Records" and its chief? I realize it's fictionalized but they even have identical Supremes album covers on the walls!
    You should watch it tonight Marv and maybe theyll talk about Mr Gordy before or after the movie air.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I didnt remember a lot of it and watched much of it tonight. The guy on TCM introducing the movie spoke of Florence and Diana specifically. The play seemed to carefully avoid Supremes specifics but not the movie. I recall Smokey speaking against it but did Berry ever consider legal action especially the portrayal of "Rainbow Records" and its chief? I realize it's fictionalized but they even have identical Supremes album covers on the walls!
    I remember my entire family plus some extended went to see the film Christmas night in 2006. It was entertaining, I will say that. Had they stuck to the original way the play was written, Effie would have died!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Still think Eddie Murphy should have won Best Actor (Alan Arkin ) for Dreamgirls the movie! Did you see the shade Eddie was throwing?
    He was very good as James Thunder Early I thought.

  7. #7
    Once again I got confused. I just noticed that this an old thread. I thought the movie was going to air tonight!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Once again I got confused. I just noticed that this an old thread. I thought the movie was going to air tonight!
    Ooops me too Luke. Thanks for pointing out that it isnt airing tonight.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Still think Eddie Murphy should have won Best Actor (Alan Arkin ) for Dreamgirls the movie! Did you see the shade Eddie was throwing?
    I contend that the look on Eddie's face signified something deeper. Remember his soapbox moment live at the Oscars podium years before when he went rogue, unscripted, and bemoaned the dearth of Black nominees and winners over the years?
    Flash forward to the night he lost. As you recall, he kind of nodded knowingly when Arkin's name was announced as the winner. I think he realized at that moment that the Academy has a long memory. As Milton Berle famously told Richard Pryor, "Pick your spots."
    Last edited by sansradio; 07-05-2019 at 08:06 PM.

  10. #10
    studio ghibli I can understnd.

    but a film from 13 years ago? network decay.

    Play the old Paramount cartoons from before 1950 instead!!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.