[REMOVE ADS]

The Ladies perform The Supremes' hits 1963-1976. Scherrie Payne, Lynda Laurence and J

Just posted on Youtube.....

Plus a special guest appearance at 7:07

How dare they sing anything from the Diana Ross and the Supremes era??

sorry I am NOT impressed with this. love the ladies but ... this is below par

They don't sound so hot either!!!

But honestly, don't you think they sound better than when Mary does the songs?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    But honestly, don't you think they sound better than when Mary does the songs?
    No I really don't. Lynda is off key often during this clip. To be honest I think Joyce sounds the best and Scherrie sounds pretty good. Their harmony is good but the leads are often off.

I do hear Lynda off key. But I think in her prime she was a stronger singer than Mary other than on ballads.

This is difficult to watch.

I don't think they sound so bad, though Linda sounds a bit below pitch in a couple of these clips. The problem for me is the lack of finesse in any of the vocals. They just seem to hit everything at the same level - and they never met a hand gesture they didn't like. They also never seem to be together, just three people sorta doing the same thing. They don't come across as a group as much as just three singers on stage together. What this video did for me was make me want to hear more from Joyce Vincent.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I don't think they sound so bad, though Linda sounds a bit below pitch in a couple of these clips. The problem for me is the lack of finesse in any of the vocals. They just seem to hit everything at the same level - and they never met a hand gesture they didn't like. They also never seem to be together, just three people sorta doing the same thing. They don't come across as a group as much as just three singers on stage together. What this video did for me was make me want to hear more from Joyce Vincent.
    I felt the same way and thought maybe it's been awhile since they performed together. It didn't come across as a cohesive group. I, too, wanted to hear more from Joyce. I'm sorry to say I've seen Supreme tribute groups come across better.

And they sing all the songs in this same brassy way that communicates none of the finesse of the Supremes. I can't really hear Joyce very well. Though I can sure hear Scherrie and Lynda. Very grating .
    Last edited by luke; 01-26-2017 at 12:56 PM.

Was a tough watch; however, it may have sounded better if one was at the gig because watching and hearing shows on the internet does water down the true sound. One good example is that I always loved Susaye but when I saw her in person she was so much better than what I heard/saw on YouTube. That aside, it did feel like three women on the stage and not a cohesive group to me. I'd still go and see them if the opportunity presented itself as I've never seen any of them in live performance.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Ian Levine was trying to give them that retro sound. When I saw them in Detroit, Jean's singing was heavenly. She had people on the edge of their seats.

I'm sure. Jean sure had that Supremes magic. You could feel it. And they wernt all singing loudly and moving all over. Much more like the Supremes here

Singing loudly doesn't make up for what is missing in a performance or performer.

Sorry, is Tony Orlando still alive and does he ever sing with the ladies that were in Dawn anymore?

Yes. This past summer.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Singing loudly doesn't make up for what is missing in a performance or performer.

Sorry, is Tony Orlando still alive and does he ever sing with the ladies that were in Dawn anymore?
    Tony Orlando just sang at the Cheeto in Chiefs inauguration last week. Hopefuly Telma Hopkins said NO to apperaing with him.

Yuck, you mean Tony Orlando sang for he who is hell bent on wrecking your country?

Luckily the song of his that stuck in my head off of Sirius Satellite Radio yesterday has been replaced by the Mary Tyler Moore theme they played today.

Did the dweeblette, Marie Osmond sing too or wouldn't he have her?

Tony I and dawn are still friends and last year did three reunion shows that sold out.
    There is a new deal on the table for additional shows. Suppose when it's signed sealed they will deliver

Here's another clip from their recent engagement at the Catalina club:

To be fair, Luke, the clip you posted with Jean is a studio recording synced to a live concert clip from 30 years ago, whereas the recent performances we are viewing above are 100% live performances. It's difficult to compare the two.

I agree with what some are saying about the singing in unison on some of these songs, such as You Can't Hurry Love, which seems to deviate from the original vocal arrangement in order to feature the group. The FLOS do seem to have some beautiful harmonies on some of the featured performances, such as Come See About Me and I Hear A Symphony. I suppose they are a different group, trying to do something different artistically than the original lineup. I'm surprised there weren't more 70's era songs performed in the above video. I think there were four.

mpn1jco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here's another clip from their recent engagement at the Catalina club:

NO COMMENT
    http://diana-ross.freeforums.net/thr...s-love?page=18

http://diana-ross.freeforums.net/thread/5/hdh-on-where-love?page=12

Last edited by mpn1jco; 01-28-2017 at 09:56 PM.

I do think hearing it live is different than hearing it here as I am thinking it was taped by cell phone and not mixed.
    I also want to hear more from Joyce Vincent and I think she is a great addition to the group. she has great harmony.
    sorry I am not liking the new gowns. unsupreme like.
    I do agree there are times when they sing it sounds like they are all trying to sing lead.or really Lynda and Scherrie.
    is it them or the sound guy?? are the mics not synced correctly.
    joyce sounds really good as usual.
    I like when they do more of their own material.
    instead of Somewhere how about When Can Brown Begin??
    instead of Lovelight how bout Nothing But Heartaches.?
    instead of Joyce singing lead on Yellow Ribbon how she sing Selfish One from her Dawn days. I just think the show needs tweeking. better mixing and gowns.
    more 70s songs. adding Nathan Jones was good idea.
    after a second listen , I liked it better. but Lovelight ......sorry , gotta go.
    Last edited by daviddh; 01-29-2017 at 02:10 PM.