[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"The Real T - My 22 yrs as Tina Turners assistant book/Motown refrences

Just read this book by Eddy Hampton Armani - what struck me straight away was how close the style of writing and the circumstances of bonding with the singer was so similar to Tony Turners infamous account in "All That Glittered"..both were 12 yrs old when they met Flo/Tina...Eddy matches Turners dramatic prose in the opening page - as MJ's brother,Randy smashes a plant pot thru Tina's patio window in a complete rage over Tina giving refuge to his girlfriend inside - Tina does what any girl from Nutbush would do - she granbs a loaded shotgun from her bedroom and fires at him..realising that she will kill him he flees...obviously Ikes damage to her property over the years and the mysterious fires she had to deal with Tina was ready for an ultimate showdown...Just as Flo and the Motown family felt comfortable with Tony being witness to the backstage tensions..Eddy is given the job of organising the Ike & Tina fan club,,even Ike is impressed with his correspondence and dilignence with the news letters..Eddy recounts a much more brutal and frightening account of Ikes violence than Tina's own autobiography [[with Kurt Loder)...but where Tony chronicled Flos slow demise Tina was a survivor - escaping from Ike..Tina rebuilds her life and there is scant scandal in his biography..Tina is a firm boss who brokes no trouble from her staff and is proffesional at all times around 1980 Diana Ross visits Tina backstage after her show and offers to help her in any proffesional capacity she can...after Diana leaves Tina is furious at Diana's offer - which reminded me of Dionne Warwicks similar attitude to Diana in her autobiography - why were her black female peers in the industry so suspicous of her ?..Dionne contradicts her own view in her book - she says Diana has always been nice to her and finishes the topic with comment "but her behaviour in The Supremes has been well documented.." at the time of Diana's offer to help Tina she was flat broke yet she would accept offers of assistance from the likes of Bowie & Mark knophler who relaunched her to stardom with "Private Dancer" album...it was an interesting book but it needed tighter editing

I bought this book many years ago. I remember I actually had to order it from the publisher, as I never saw it a US bookstore. If anything, it made me feel a bit sorry for entertainers who allow fans to become close. I'm sure they didn't think these experiences would become a book many years later once their friendship ended.

They always have to fluff them up to get them published

I just scored a copy of this...and yes, in a US bookstore! [[Used, natch.) It does bear striking similarities to All That Glittered. Find of the year, so far!

I'm a Tina fan for 47 years [[the I&TT Revue at Carnegie Hall in '71 was EPIC!) but I chose to not read this book when I saw it on Amazon years ago. The personal-life stuff just doesn't interest me, a perfect reason being the quote about Tina being angry at Diana's offer for career assistance, which just makes Tina look a bit ... whatever. The Great Tina Comeback yielded one great LP and a bunch of weak Europop followups along with countless 'hits' collections that even I stopped buying. The live shows, right through the end, were always superb, and Tina's voice was a thing of rare wonder.

Prince and Chaka Khan turned Diana Ross down too when she approached them and offered to manage them.

Who in their right mind would have ever taken on Diana Ross as a manager? She couldn't even manage herself. Aside from that, I find it hard to believe she would ever have been interested in managing any other artist, especially artists as big as Prince and Chaka. Where did that information come from?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Who in their right mind would have ever taken on Diana Ross as a manager? She couldn't even manage herself. Aside from that, I find it hard to believe she would ever have been interested in managing any other artist, especially artists as big as Prince and Chaka. Where did that information come from?
    I vaguely recall Micki Free of Shalamar saying that he had been managed by Diana at one point.

During the 70s, Diana's husband Bob Ellis managed Chaka Khan and Rufus.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Prince said she approached him. This was after her and her then boyfriend Gene Simmons went back stage after one of his shows and made fun of him to his face. Prince did not talk much and they laughed and mocked him, then left after he refused her offer.

In the 70s Diane's then husband, Bob Ellis managed Rufus. Later on when Chaka was going to go solo, Miss Ross approached her about managing her to which Chaka declined [[I will not say anymore on that one. LOL!!!). That came from Chaka herself.
    Last edited by marv2; 06-06-2017 at 01:36 AM.

So when did this book by Eddy Hampton Armani come out?

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I vaguely recall Micki Free of Shalamar saying that he had been managed by Diana at one point.

During the 70s, Diana's husband Bob Ellis managed Chaka Khan and Rufus.
    That's right Reese. I did not see your before I responded.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    So when did this book by Eddy Hampton Armani come out?
    1998, UK only.

[QUOTE=sansradio;390795]1998, UK only.[

/QUOTE]

Thanks Sansradio

For sure, marv2.

Being a huge Tina's fan, I liked this book a lot. It gives precious insight on her personal life during the early 70's til the late 80's.

I think the stories in the book are true, they seem believable to me and have been confirmed, in many aspects, by other people. For example, Randy himself confirmed the gunshot story.

Another merit of the book is to show Tina absolutely human, with ups and downs, moments of generosity and coldness. It is a woman who has had a difficult life but still kept her head up. She is not a saint, but she is not a villain either, just a complex and lonely woman, who fortunately succeeded in overcoming a traumatic and violent relationship, still being able to make her dreams come true. I admire her a lot and don't think she is above the good and bad, she is just human, like every one of us.

As for the story of Diana, in fact, it seems that Tina did not like her very much. But, Diana was kind to her.

I would like to ask Bluebrock if he ever worked with Tina during the EMI years in the 1990s?

I wouldn't judge Tina on this one incident. At that [[low) point in her career she may well have simply been jealous of Diana Ross' continued, phenomenal world-wide success. It would be mere speculation to wonder as well if it had anything to do with the frequently-stated opinion that Tina seemed to turn away from Black America in general at that time. Decades later, at her wedding in Switzerland, I thought it rather extraordinary that except for Oprah & her 2 satellites the guests were all white people.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I wouldn't judge Tina on this one incident. At that [[low) point in her career she may well have simply been jealous of Diana Ross' continued, phenomenal world-wide success. It would be mere speculation to wonder as well if it had anything to do with the frequently-stated opinion that Tina seemed to turn away from Black America in general at that time. Decades later, at her wedding in Switzerland, I thought it rather extraordinary that except for Oprah & her 2 satellites the guests were all white people.
    nah diane was also thought to have turned away from black america.

nah diane was also thought to have turned away from black america.
    And then Mary Wilson toured south Africa with the Supremes during Apartheid which was the ultimatte global insult. Cindy and Sherrie were real, real upset with Mary and her husband over that one.

Yes, Miss Roberta - that Mary did. I think she also performed in Qatar [[a country that shields terrorists) but I'm not sure.

Yes, Miss Roberta - that Mary did. I think she also performed in Qatar [[a country that shields terrorists) but I'm not sure.
    I think Miss Ross and Miss LaBelle and Mr Smokey Robinson have allso perorm in Qqtar dear PeaceNHarmony. Its a country that people visit as tourists and it sells liquor in some parts but has a real bad record on Gay and Lesbian rights and has even executed Gay people. That siad its hosting the World Cup in 2022. I wopuldnt want to visit there thats for sure.

The Supremes tour in South America during Apartheid was beyond disgusting and the blame goes right to the hands of Mary and her husband Pedro. Were they really that desperate?

Wait a minute didn't I see Chaka Khan play tribute to Diana Ross at the BET awards show ? I think "people" tend to make bigger issues out of crap. I never heard the story of Diana asking to manage Chaka,,,,what I heard was Ross offered some musical advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I think Miss Ross and Miss LaBelle and Mr Smokey Robinson have allso perorm in Qqtar dear PeaceNHarmony. Its a country that people visit as tourists and it sells liquor in some parts but has a real bad record on Gay and Lesbian rights and has even executed Gay people. That siad its hosting the World Cup in 2022. I wopuldnt want to visit there thats for sure.

The Supremes tour in South America during Apartheid was beyond disgusting and the blame goes right to the hands of Mary and her husband Pedro. Were they really that desperate?
    Interesting, Ms. Roberta. I did a quick search and found that Diana Ross performed at a gala for Qatar Airlines here in the US; I didn't readily find anything about her [[or Ms. Labelle or Mr. Robinson) actually performing there. As an LGBT person myself I am aware of their terrible abuse [[including murder) of LGBT persons, as is the case in most of those countries. It is true however that Qatar was/is promoting itself as a destination so I guess we'll have to excuse [[for a while!) those who have performed there. South Africa is another story ... I don't follow Mary's activities [[she just doesn't interest me) but she seems to have endless money problems; I did read an article [[maybe here) about her having to sell her Vegas home. Stay well!

I just picked up a decent condition used copy of the book for 1p [[1cent as good as) .... from UK Amazon.
    It's a pity it doesn't deal with the late 60's, when I used to go see IKE & TINA on their UK tour gigs.
    I'm about to write an article on those times & their UK tours. After touring here with the Stones & Yardbirds in 66, they stayed on & did some club dates. They then returned here a few times in 67 / 68. I have copies of a few of their UK club contracts that detail their fee, how early they have to turn up & how long they have to play for.
    Their UK tours were certainly memorable as they did great live work but the likes of Ikette P P Arnold & male side singer Jimmy Thomas also 'jumped ship' & stayed in the UK. Both have enjoyed long & successful music careers here in the UK.
    Attachment 13126
    Last edited by jsmith; 06-07-2017 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Wait a minute didn't I see Chaka Khan play tribute to Diana Ross at the BET awards show ? I think "people" tend to make bigger issues out of crap. I never heard the story of Diana asking to manage Chaka,,,,what I heard was Ross offered some musical advice.
    Yep. We all saw Chaka and Erika Badu play tribute to Diane Ross at the BET Awards. You are correct dear Captain.

Interesting, Ms. Roberta. I did a quick search and found that Diana Ross performed at a gala for Qatar Airlines here in the US; I didn't readily find anything about her [[or Ms. Labelle or Mr. Robinson) actually performing there. As an LGBT person myself I am aware of their terrible abuse [[including murder) of LGBT persons, as is the case in most of those countries. It is true however that Qatar was/is promoting itself as a destination so I guess we'll have to excuse [[for a while!) those who have performed there. South Africa is another story ... I don't follow Mary's activities [[she just doesn't interest me) but she seems to have endless money problems; I did read an article [[maybe here) about her having to sell her Vegas home. Stay well!
    Im researching the internet my dear PeacNHarmony and yes, you are correct Miss Ross performed for Quatar airlines in New York City not over in that bigoted gay hating country. Pardon my missinformation.

Yours, with every good wish.

Robera

I think her analysis is they didn't boycott the south during the Jim Crow years and she was seeing South Africa as the same. Also the reason she is selling her vegas home is to return to LA and retire there

And then Mary Wilson toured south Africa with the Supremes during Apartheid which was the ultimatte global insult. Cindy and Sherrie were real, real upset with Mary and her husband over that one.
    The requirement for money makes one do foolish things!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    That could be a Motown medley! "Money / Makes Me Do Foolish Things" !

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I am the last to rush to Mary's defense but many, many black artists played South Africa in the 70s and 80s. That includes the parts with rigid apartheid and the other regions where it was supposedly more relaxed [[i.e. Sun City). And the analogy to the Jim Crow south is appropriate. The Motortown Revue was played in locations where the audiences were segregated by color. No one boycotted Alabama.

She was paid to do that. Diane wanted to manage Chaka Khan. Chaka is a far superior singer. It is laughable that Diana Ross would try offer the mighty Chaka Khan musical advice...............

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I am the last to rush to Mary's defense but many, many black artists played South Africa in the 70s and 80s. That includes the parts with rigid apartheid and the other regions where it was supposedly more relaxed [[i.e. Sun City). And the analogy to the Jim Crow south is appropriate. The Motortown Revue was played in locations where the audiences were segregated by color. No one boycotted Alabama.
    Exactly Guy. We went to Mississippi right during the height of Civil Rights battles in the early and mid-60s. Mary went to South Africa earlier this year on vacation.

She was paid to do that. Diane wanted to manage Chaka Khan. Chaka is a far superior singer. It is laughable that Diana Ross would try offer the mighty Chaka Khan musical advice...............
    I know how you feel. I still laugh everytime that Mary Wilson keep saying her Holland Brothers CD Clarity is coming out this year. Shes been saying its been coming out since 2001. LOLOLOLOLOLOL Those former Supremes really do keep us all in stitches.

Best to you.

Roberta

I know how you feel. I still laugh everytime that Mary Wilson keep saying her Holland Brothers CD Clarity is coming out this year. Shes been saying its been coming out since 2001. LOLOLOLOLOLOL Those former Supremes really do keep us all in stitches.

Best to you.

Roberta
    Does anyone know why Mary does not tour with / as The Supremes? She's considered the flamekeeper of the group so it just seems odd that she chooses to not be a part of the group.

Does anyone know why Mary does not tour with / as The Supremes? She's considered the flamekeeper of the group so it just seems odd that she chooses to not be a part of the group.
    Mary left the Supremes 40 years ago this month. In fact in 4 days will mark the 40th anniversary of her departure. June 12, 1977.

He doesn't know what he is talking about Roberta. Bob Ellis was Chaka's manager even after his divorce from Diana. I know this because Bob was at Chaka's wedding. For Diana to want to manage her after that would be a handful because Chaka had a lot of demons. Chaka has mentioned some of these things herself and I am so glad she came out ALIVE and STRONGER.

Best to you.

Roberta

Two of the Best!

Name:  Chaka Khan and Mary Wilson.jpg
Views: 2600
Size:  28.9 KB

Name:  eddie.jpg
Views: 2397
Size:  35.9 KB

Soul Train dancer Eddy Hampton Armani wanted so badly to be the male Tina Turner, but just did not have the talent to back it up. It really broke Tina's heart when he played kiss and tell just for the love of money. Don't always believe what you read. There is always another side to a story.

OMG the music these three could make !!!Name:  8515e152b1f6c396487b53d3cab00e24.jpg
Views: 2598

OMG the music these three could make !!!Name:  8515e152b1f6c396487b53d3cab00e24.jpg
    Theres a lot of amazing talent are real genuyine affection in that photo Captain.

Thanks for sharing.

Fondly,

Roberta

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro2015 View Post
    Being a huge Tina's fan, I liked this book a lot. It gives precious insight on her personal life during the early 70's til the late 80's.

I think the stories in the book are true, they seem believable to me and have been confirmed, in many aspects, by other people. For example, Randy himself confirmed the gunshot story.

Another merit of the book is to show Tina absolutely human, with ups and downs, moments of generosity and coldness. It is a woman who has had a difficult life but still kept her head up. She is not a saint, but she is not a villain either, just a complex and lonely woman, who fortunately succeeded in overcoming a traumatic and violent relationship, still being able to make her dreams come true. I admire her a lot and don't think she is above the good and bad, she is just human, like every one of us.

As for the story of Diana, in fact, it seems that Tina did not like her very much. But, Diana was kind to her.

I would like to ask Bluebrock if he ever worked with Tina during the EMI years in the 1990s?
    So Tina Turner just didn't like Diana Ross? Wow, what a surprise! LOL!!!

He doesn't know what he is talking about Roberta. Bob Ellis was Chaka's manager even after his divorce from Diana. I know this because Bob was at Chaka's wedding. For Diana to want to manage her after that would be a handful because Chaka had a lot of demons. Chaka has mentioned some of these things herself and I am so glad she came out ALIVE and STRONGER.
    How interesting; I did not know Ellis had a Chaka connection. Now, I do remember a time [[maybe early 80's? Not sure) when several performers were speaking [[separately) in interviews about becoming managers - so some of the rumor may have some from that.

Absolutely - and a great picture of all three -

Quote Originally Posted by brother_love View Post
    Name:  eddie.jpg
Views: 2397

Soul Train dancer Eddy Hampton Armani wanted so badly to be the male Tina Turner, but just did not have the talent to back it up. It really broke Tina's heart when he played kiss and tell just for the love of money. Don't always believe what you read. There is always another side to a story.
    Absolutely; I think perhaps the major reason I have no interest in reading the book is indeed the source.

So Tina Turner just didn't like Diana Ross? Wow, what a surprise! LOL!!!
    No. The encounter occurred after Ross moved to RCA and before Tina's 80s' 'comeback.' The author, Eddie Armani, suggested that Tina was resentful of Diana's recent success. And particularly because Armani -- Tina's assistant and confidante -- was ENTHRALLED by Ross. Ross apparently had genuine appreciation for Tina and consequently was gracious and friendly to Armani. It stung Tina to see her assistant so dazzled by Ross. It was petty jealously, not dislike.

No. The encounter occurred after Ross moved to RCA and before Tina's 80s' 'comeback.' The author, Eddie Armani, suggested that Tina was resentful of Diana's recent success. And particularly because Armani -- Tina's assistant and confidante -- was ENTHRALLED by Ross. Ross apparently had genuine appreciation for Tina and consequently was gracious and friendly to Armani. It stung Tina to see her assistant so dazzled by Ross. It was petty jealously, not dislike.
    Isn't it true that once Diane moved to RCA her career began it's slow and steady decline? Tina got the last laugh on them as she ended up more successful and now retired in Europe. I think Buddhism really helped her.

Methinks you've hit the nail on the head. Remember, as well, that the RCA signing was called one of the biggest $ signings ever. I love my Tina, but entertainment is of course a crazy competitive business and we're all just human!
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 06-08-2017 at 08:01 PM.

I thank Oprah Winfrey Legend Ball healed some wounds and open some minds with a lot of the Divas. Its only the fans that seem to carry the weight.

I thank Oprah Winfrey Legend Ball healed some wounds and open some minds with a lot of the Divas. Its only the fans that seem to carry the weight.
    No it didn't....stop! LOL! They still cannot stand her.

No it didn't....stop! LOL! They still cannot stand her.
    Jealousy is a very ugly thing! Most female singers were so jealous of the huge success of the great Diana Ross!

Methinks you've hit the nail on the head. Remember, as well, that the RCA signing was called one of the biggest $ signings ever. I love my Tina, but entertainment is of course a crazy competitive business and we're all just human!
    I believe it was said at the time it was the biggest recording contract up to that point. Who wouldn't be jealous of that. When she was probably struggling just to get a contract. I am so happy for Tina's success. She is one of my favorites.
    Last edited by vgalindo; 06-08-2017 at 09:43 PM.