[REMOVE ADS]

An impressive list..Diana's UK silver/gold/platinum LP awards...

Dianas LP sales in the UK have the following sales awards-

Im Still Waiting [[us Surrender LP) - Silver disc
    1972 greatest Hits - Gold disc
    Touch Me In the Morning - Gold disc
    Lady Sings The Blues -gold disc
    Diana and Marvin - Gold disc
    Diana Ross [[76) -Gold disc
    Greatest Hits 2 [[76) -Gold disc
    An Evening With Diana Ross - Silver disc
    20 Golden Greats - Platinum disc
    diana - Gold disc
    Why Do Fools - Gold disc
    All The Great Hits -Platinum disc
    Dianas duets -Silver disc
    Silk Electric- Silver disc
    Love songs -Platinum disc
    Portrait - Gold disc
    Love Songs [[with Michael Jackson) -Platinum disc
    Love Supreme [[with Supremes) -Silver dsc
    Workin Overtime - yes! a Silver disc..
    Greatest hits Live - Gold disc
    Force Behind the Power - Platinum disc
    One Woman - platinum x 4 disc
    A Very special season -Gold disc
    Love and Life -Gold disc

not too shabby..the Supremes recieved no silver/gold/Platinum discs proving that Diana was infinetly more popular as a solo act in the UK..
    source-Graham Betts complete Uk hit albums book
    Last edited by nomis; 01-14-2011 at 10:57 PM.

...some interesting omissions -
    The Boss failed to ignite UK fans the three singles released from this LP couldnt pull a silver disc
    Swept Away and its singles failed to make an impression either "Missing You" was a relative flop in the Uk..
    Chain Reaction hitting number one couldnt push the Eaten Alive set to Silver status
    ..and yet Workin Ovetime sold more than these three stellar LPs !!!!

MissLish Guest
    Shocking as it may be, there were no bona fide hits from The Boss and 1977s Baby Its Me in the US either.

Im sure The Boss went gold stateside regardless..

MissLish Guest
    yep the album did, but no number 1s.

....and she grabbed hold of Mike Roshkind by the tie and dragged him around the office over Motowns lack of promotion..Ross Urban legend or true? I can imagine her doing it... he he

...my favourite quote about the Boss era - "Berry was out of the picture and all hell was breaking loose.." and so it should The Boss is a damn fine album..

Great to see that Love & Life went Gold in the UK. It's funny, because before I even viewed this thread, I headed over to Amazon UK and ordered myself a copy tonight. It's been on my want list for a long time, even though I already have all of the songs. I love my compilations. I thought I should mention that it's less than $6 for this great two disc set! A bargain for sure.

Is there anything on Love and Life that is a bit out of the ordinary?

Rob- Diana recorded "Goin Back" for this collection it also contains the single versions of "Love Hangover" "Work That Body" and "Not Over You Yet"..Im back at work this week will send your book havent forgotten about you buddy xx

Exactly, Nomis. Plus, there's some other less common tracks included, like "Your Love" and "In the Ones You Love". It's the only Diana Ross 2 CD collection that I know of that covers her entire career [[with the exception of "The Complete Collection").
    Last edited by carlo; 01-16-2011 at 08:11 PM.

Album.

Disc 1:

Samples

To view this content, download Flash player [[version 8.0.0.0 or higher)

Song Title Artist Time Price
    1. Chain Reaction Diana Ross 3:47 Album Only
    2. Baby Love The Supremes 2:36 Album Only
    3. Where Did Our Love Go The Supremes 2:34 Album Only
    4. You Can't Hurry Love The Supremes 2:54 Album Only
    5. Stop! In The Name Of Love [[1993 Digital Remaster) The Supremes 2:52 Album Only
    6. You Keep Me Hangin' On The Supremes 2:45 Album Only
    7. The Happening [[1993 Digital Remaster) Diana Ross & The Supremes 2:52 Album Only
    8. Reflections Diana Ross & The Supremes 2:52 Album Only
    9. Love Hangover Diana Ross 3:44 Album Only
    10. The Boss Diana Ross 3:57 Album Only
    11. Why Do Fools Fall In Love Diana Ross 2:55 Album Only
    12. Mirror Mirror Diana Ross 4:05 Album Only
    13. Muscles Diana Ross 4:03 Album Only
    14. Work That Body Diana Ross 3:36 Album Only
    15. The Force Behind The Power Diana Ross 4:04 Album Only
    16. Workin' Overtime Diana Ross 4:16 Album Only
    17. Take Me Higher Diana Ross 4:19 Album Only
    18. Until We Meet Again [[Hex Hector Remix) Diana Ross 3:52 Album Only
    19. Not Over You Yet [[Metro Radio Edit) Diana Ross 4:04 Album Only
    20. I'm Coming Out Diana Ross 3:56 Album Only
    21. Upside Down Diana Ross 4:06 Album Only
    22. My Old Piano Diana Ross 3:56 Album Only

Visit our audio help page for more information

Disc 2:

Samples

Song Title Artist Time Price
    1. You Are Everything Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye 3:08 Album Only
    2. Touch Me In The Morning Diana Ross 3:26 Album Only
    3. Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To?) Diana Ross 3:24 Album Only
    4. I'm Still Waiting Diana Ross 3:42 Album Only
    5. Ain't No Mountain High Enough Diana Ross 3:30 Album Only
    6. I'm Gonna Make You Love Me Diana Ross & The Supremes/The Temptations 3:07 Album Only
    7. Someday We'll Be Together Diana Ross & The Supremes 3:25 Album Only
    8. Remember Me Diana Ross 3:29 Album Only
    9. Stop, Look, Listen [[To Your Heart) Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye 2:54 Album Only
    10. Good Morning Heartache Diana Ross 2:21 Album Only
    11. It's My Turn Diana Ross 3:58 Album Only
    12. One Shining Moment Diana Ross 4:46 Album Only
    13. In The Ones You Love Diana Ross 4:17 Album Only
    14. Your Love Diana Ross 4:03 Album Only
    15. Best Years Of My Life [[Album Version) Diana Ross 4:23 Album Only
    16. Goin' Back Diana Ross 3:39 Album Only
    17. If We Hold On Together Diana Ross 4:09 Album Only
    18. When You Tell Me That You Love Me Diana Ross 4:11 Album Only
    19. Endless Love

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post

diana - Gold disc
    Why Do Fools - Gold disc
    Portrait - Gold disc
    Love and Life -Gold disc

not too shabby..the Supremes recieved no silver/gold/Platinum discs proving that Diana was infinetly more popular as a solo act in the UK..
    proving that Diana was infinetly more popular as a solo act in the UK

Funny that most of the discs that went silver/gold/platium INCLUDED Supremes hits.

Well Diana just happened later in the UK..............and Diana or Supremes, the sound was the same voice.

Mary Brewster..if you read the list a little more closely you would discover that vast majority of the disc awards include no Supremes material..a few do but the majority dont..and the few that do have a heavier mix of Diana solo material on them..you cant dispute the facts..Diana was more popular in The UK after she departed the girls..plain and simple..I count 15 supremes free LP awards..read it again my dear..
    Last edited by nomis; 01-17-2011 at 01:28 PM.

I think in the 60's, The Supremes sold a lot of 45 rpm singles, but not as many albums [[of course there were several that went Gold and/or Platinum). That was the way the industry was back then. Most companies focused on the sales of hit singles. That's why we always see the reissue of these compilations again and again. That was the stuff that was most popular. With Diana, I think she sold a lot more in terms of 78 rpm albums. Some people like to try and discount Diana by saying that her career declined and was less successful without The Supremes. I don't agree with that view. It's clear that Diana Ross & the Supremes were a sinking ship in the late 60's in terms of hit singles and record sales...and don't forget that Diana was in fact still in the group. The step for Diana to go solo was necessary. With any business, when your sales are slumping over a long period of time, it's necessary to "reinvent" your business and breath some new life into it. That's exactly what Diana Ross and The Supremes needed IMO. They needed new life. Diana going solo was inevitable. The waters needed stirring.

Carlo - I know Diana has been having hits for a long time but I didn't know she had "78 rpm albums" as per your post

Eamonn

iconicpuff Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Carlo - I know Diana has been having hits for a long time but I didn't know she had "78 rpm albums" as per your post

Eamonn
    Yes, she was up against Gracie Fields and Vera Lynn in those charts from the 1930s. LOL!

You are right nomis; you can't dispute the facts.

Just as you can't dispute that BPI [[The British Recorded Music Industry) certified awards weren't introduced until April 1973. PROVING that it's impossible to determine which Supremes LP WOULD have been certified.

So, while you're post is appreciated, your statement is incorrect.

Here's more information on the BPI:

http://www.bpi.co.uk/certifiedawards/search.aspx

It was more just a case of the UK catching up to and catching on to Motown, Diana Ross, the Supremes etc. By the early 70's, my recollection is that the 70 Supremes were doing better in the UK than they were doing in the USA as well......recall Automatically Sunshine? I think it reached the Top 10 in the UK.

Diana just caught on a little bit later in the UK.

Remember when all the Motown acts went to the UK, I believe in 1965..........the tour was not successful and didn't play to full houses.

The reason Diana became a superstar and an icon was that she managed, like Madonna, to reinvent herself a number of times and that is the only way you can have her kind of longevity - as a Supreme, as the leader singer and lightning rod, as a solo act, as a movie star, as a Broadway star, as a star of TV specials and TV Movies, as a solo act in Europe, the UK and Japan..........that sort of thing.

MissLish Guest
    I'm trying to understand the relevance of this thread. Are we trying to determine who was more popular in the UK, the Supremes or Diana Ross? Do y'all really care?

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    It was more just a case of the UK catching up to and catching on to Motown, Diana Ross, the Supremes etc. By the early 70's, my recollection is that the 70 Supremes were doing better in the UK than they were doing in the USA as well......recall Automatically Sunshine? I think it reached the Top 10 in the UK.

Diana just caught on a little bit later in the UK.

Remember when all the Motown acts went to the UK, I believe in 1965..........the tour was not successful and didn't play to full houses.

The reason Diana became a superstar and an icon was that she managed, like Madonna, to reinvent herself a number of times and that is the only way you can have her kind of longevity - as a Supreme, as the leader singer and lightning rod, as a solo act, as a movie star, as a Broadway star, as a star of TV specials and TV Movies, as a solo act in Europe, the UK and Japan..........that sort of thing.
    I think it's a bit of a stretch to call Diana Ross a Broadway star. She's never starred in a play or a musical, let alone a hit show. I know she got a Tony for her concert show held in a theater in the Broadway district in the mid 70's but that does not make one a legit Broadway stage star like a Patti Lu Pone or Kristin Chenoweth.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post

diana - Gold disc
    Why Do Fools - Gold disc
    Portrait - Gold disc
    Love and Life -Gold disc

An impressive list no doubt, Ross was truly riding high during this time. I think "I'm Still Waiting" would have done better if it had started off better with the music. The Phil Chill Mix is was got me to like the song but by then it was already a hit.

Carlo you might be surprised by generally speaking how moderate Supremes LPs were in the UK besides compilations the actual original albums were only medium sellers and none of them even reached silver disc status..

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post

Eamonn
    Whoops!! I meant to say 33 RPM! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MissLish View Post
    I'm trying to understand the relevance of this thread. Are we trying to determine who was more popular in the UK, the Supremes or Diana Ross? Do y'all really care?
    EXACTLY Miss Lish.

I think it was only meant to be a list, a post about an accomplishment of a beloved soul artist.

And then it is probably just a discussion meaning not much; and none of it matters; history speaks for itself as do the sales.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    You are right nomis; you can't dispute the facts.

Just as you can't dispute that BPI [[The British Recorded Music Industry) certified awards weren't introduced until April 1973. PROVING that it's impossible to determine which Supremes LP WOULD have been certified.

So, while you're post is appreciated, your statement is incorrect.

Here's more information on the BPI:

http://www.bpi.co.uk/certifiedawards/search.aspx
    You know more than me and I'm British. LOL

The Supremes Greatest Hits [[a 16 track compilation from the US double album) was a huge number one in the UK for about 6 or 7 weeks. I am sure that would have won an award for that. The "Rodgers & Hart" did well on initial release but it had another spell of sales when Greatest Hits was top of the LP chart. The Supremes Join the Temps album did great too. Might be worth checking out any old British Charts for any that I might have missed.

Diana's "Everything Is Everything" achieved a fair amount of UK sales in about 1971although I am not convinced it was in the same league as the aformentioned "Greatest Hits" and "Supremes Join the Temptations".

I believe in the liner notes to the expanded Edition of Where Did Our Love Go, someone, perhaps Harry, referred to Where Did Our Love Go, the album, as THE best selling pop record of 1964 - which I took to mean that it outsold the Beatle albums that were released that year. This was in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I believe in the liner notes to the expanded Edition of Where Did Our Love Go, someone, perhaps Harry, referred to Where Did Our Love Go, the album, as THE best selling pop record of 1964 - which I took to mean that it outsold the Beatle albums that were released that year. This was in the USA.
    In his first book on Diana, J. Randy said that it was the fourth best selling pop album by an American act in 1964, the top three being the soundtracks to Mary Poppins, My Fair Lady, and Fiddler On The Roof. This of course could mean the same thing,as soundtracks might be considered a different animal. But I don't think they outsold the Beatles.
    Last edited by reese; 01-21-2011 at 09:35 AM.

Reese, that's exactly how I read it as well.

they might have sold more than the Beatles in 64...there is that possibality..we will never know for sure as these were the haylocin days of vinyl selling as fast as they could ship them to stores..Brian Epstein had no real control over stateside distribution it was literally mayhem add to that Motowns reluctance to make its sales figures known..they are both acts that became so successful who really knows what was pressed and sold and accounted for...

diana ross and supremes had 7 top 10 hits[[inc one with temptations),after d.ross left 5 top 10 hits.

How many Top 40?

not sure, i know the supremes as name[[with and without d.ross) is the 2nd most hits by a female group,#1 is bananarama.
    supremes and the four tops made the top 30 at least once,maybe twice.
    diana is only beaten into 2nd place by madonna as top female with 19.diana's is broken down as follows.
    d.ross has had 17 top ten albums,6 with supremes,1 with supps and temptations,1 with marvin gaye.in all 38 top 40 albums,i havent got a breakdown for that.

i cant find out info of how many top 40 singles she had solo and duets and the supremes had altogether in all guises and with other groups ,temps and tops.