[REMOVE ADS]

Cool Brand New CD Reissue - VIVIAN REED: "Yours Until Tomorow: The Epic Years"

Hot off the CD press is the release of Vivian Reed's "Yours Until Tomorrow: The Epic Years", courtesy of SoulMusicRecords. It marks "a first-ever compilation of all of the recordings by renowned entertainer Vivian Reed, cut between 1968-1971 for Epic Records. Included is Vivian's sole self-titled Epic LP, along with non-album tracks issued as A and B sides of singles issued both before and after the album's release in 1968."

The track lineup is as follows:
    1. Baby Baby [[I'll Be Your Woman 'TiI I Die)
    2. I
    3. Yours Until Tomorrow
    4. I Wanna Be Free
    5. Look the Other Way
    6. Down Here on The Ground
    7. You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling / [[You're My) Soul and Inspiration
    8. Harper Valley P.T.A.
    9. Walk on My Side
    10. Let's Fall in Love All Over
    11. The Shape of Things to Come
    12. I've Gotta Be Me
    13. Somewhere [[From "West Side Story")
    14. Mama Open the Door
    15. Then I'll Be Over You
    16. Unbelievable
    17. Lean on Me
    18. Missing You
    19. I Feel the Earth Move
    20. Don't Close the Door on Me

This is a really exciting release! Vivian's vocals are both fresh and appealing. The material is top-notch in most cases, and the sound quality is excellent throughout. [[In my opinion, the only throw-away tracks are "Harper Valley PTA" and "The Shape Of Things To Come", but, who knows, they could turn out to be your favorites!)

My personal favorite tracks are:
    TRACK #
    :
    1) "Baby Baby [[I'll Be Your Woman 'Til I Die" [[which is a beautiful answer record to Gary Puckett & The Union Gap's "Woman Woman". Should have been a huge hit!)
    3) "Yours Until Tomorrow" [[A beautiful ballad)
    5) "Look The Other Way" [[a Philly track also recorded by Lesley Gore)
    7) "You've Lost That Loving Feeling/Soul And Inspiration" [[a great musical arrangement)
    9) "Walk On My Side"
    12) "I've Gotta Be Me" [[an outstanding bluesy version of Sammy Davis, Jr.'s, standard)
    13) "Somewhere" [[from "West Side Story" -- also given a fresh, bluesy treatment)
    16) "Unbelievable" [[Also bluesy)

For The Van McCoy fans -- two beautiful productions from 1971:
    17) "Lean On Me" [[the original, laid-back version of the masterpiece ballad covered 4 years later by Melba Moore), and
    18) "Missing You" [[a mid-tempo, Motown-flavored tune with a real nice shuffle beat) BOTH RECORDINGS ARE TOP-NOTCH VAN McCOY/JOE COBB PRODUCTIONS!

and, finally,
    19) "I Feel The Earth Move" [[a hot, rollicking version of the Carole King hit. Vivian can really get down!)

I bought Vivian Reed's "Yours Until Tomorrow: The Epic Years" CD for the two Van McCoy productions, but I ended up falling in love with more than half of the songs enclosed. Don't be fooled -- although Vivian Reed was famous for her Broadway performances, don't let that scare you. This CD is pure Pop/Soul. It's hard to fathom why her records didn't skyrocket up the charts.

Here's the Amazon [[U.S.) link:
    https://www.amazon.com/Yours-Until-T...vivian+reed+cd
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-12-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Got it a few weeks ago, but have not been able to listen to it yet!
    Also Niecy 2-cd, Archie Bell 2-cd,Melba Moore 2-cd and George Duke 2-cd's

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Got it a few weeks ago, but have not been able to listen to it yet!
    Also Niecy 2-cd, Archie Bell 2-cd,Melba Moore 2-cd and George Duke 2-cd's
    Wow, Jack! You're on a roll! Can only speak for the Vivian Reed CD, but I think you'll love it. It's real good stuff!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 01-12-2017 at 12:21 PM.

Just to whet your whistle, here are a few samples of VIVIAN REED's Epic Records recordings. [[Downloaded from YouTube, the music in the following links do not necessarily represent the excellent sound quality of the CD itself.)

"Baby, Baby [[I'll Be Your Woman 'Til I Die" [[Uploaded to YouTube by Soulhawk):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azJSplR_XjM

"Look The Other Way" [[Uploaded to YouTube by Musilandia):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaQO2kmMRqY

"Yours Until Tomorrow" [[Uploaded to YouTube by JugglerOfMusic)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL-QzeopFNA

"Missing You" [[PRODUCED BY VAN McCOY & JOE COBB) [[Uploaded to YouTube by Eddie Hubbard):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQFHNUnaT7U

"Lean On Me" [[PRODUCED BY VAN McCOY & JOE COBB) [[Uploaded to YouTube by Adinaebonypanther):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olau_CdIwiI

Is an instrumental but I LIKES A LOT: "Vivian's Theme", included jointly with also by Vivian's "Tired Of Being Alone" [[also vocally and instrumentally good) on the compilation CD "Crème de la Crème, Two" [[Atco, 2005).

This instrumental is IMHO one of the most mellow Philly instrumentals, with the wesmontgomerian Harri's guitar!

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    Is an instrumental but I LIKES A LOT: "Vivian's Theme", included jointly with also by Vivian's "Tired Of Being Alone" [[also vocally and instrumentally good) o<script id="gpt-impl-0.28203277062449755" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_107.js"></script>n the compilation CD "Crème de la Crème, Two" [[Atco, 2005).

This instrumental is IMHO one of the most mellow Philly instrumentals, with the wesmontgomerian Harri's guitar!
    Yeah, Manny, I like that one, too. Vivian Reeds' mid-1970's Philly Soul material on the Atco label couldn't be beat! For the benefit of those who may not be familiar with the two Various Artists "Cre'me De La Cream" Philly Soul CDs that we're referring to, here are three links to show you what we mean:

Manny's favorite:
    "Vivian's Theme" [[Inst.) [[Uploaded to YouTube by nljgi1):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0xYZHzxXNc

My personal favorite:
    "Save Your Love For Me" [[Uploaded to YouTube by nsoulchris):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ2M6yl2RZ8

And this one which I just discovered:
    "I Didn't Mean To Love You" [[Uploaded to YouTube by John Manship):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMmxDV_F-Wk

I sure wish that one of the reissue labels would release a CD of VIvian's Atco recordings -- especially the tracks recorded at Philly's Sigma Sound studio.

Thanks for so great info, Philles / Motown Gary

In a more general point of view, I think it's necessary, urgent, to re-issue many tracks by "outside Philly cats producers", on Atco and on so many other labels. The 70's was great for PIR but also for many Philly Soul productions in minor labels. Collections as "The Spirit Of Philadelphia" [[3 volumes), "Philadelphia Roots" [[2 volumes) or "Créme de la Créme" [[2 volumes) should to continue [[volumes, 4, 5, 6,... 30 or 50!!).

Thanks for so great info, Philles / Motown Gary

In a more general point of view, I think it's necessary, urgent, to re-issue many tracks by "outside Philly cats producers", on Atco and on so many other labels. The 70's was great for PIR but also for many Philly Soul productions in minor labels. Collections as "The Spirit Of Philadelphia" [[3 volumes), "Philadelphia Roots" [[2 volumes) or "Créme de la Créme" [[2 volumes) should to continue [[volumes, 4, 5, 6,... 30 or 50!!).
    You're welcome, Manny. And I agree with you whole-heartedly. The Philly Soul sounds that came out of Sigma Sound Studio back in the '70s was loved and craved by just about everyone in the Pop/Soul music world. Unlike 1960's Motown during its heyday who limited its recording studios to its own roster of artists, Sigma Sound opened its doors to any record label who sought to capture the Philly Soul sound for its artists by utilizing members of MFSB, the Philly songwriters, arrangers, and producers, and even the Sweethearts Of Sigma for those angelic back-up harmonies. Atlantic, Atco, and Cotillion sent The Spinners, Sons Of Robin Stone, Vivian Reed, and early Sister Sledge to Sigma, while Avco Records sent The Stylistics, and Columbia Records sent Johnny Mathis and Deniece Williams [[individually) to work with Thom Bell, as did Warner Brothers in sending Dionne Warwick. The list goes on and on. Although I've collected pretty much all of the Sigma Sound releases that I'm aware of, I don't think I'll ever get my fill. Just like Motown, THAT'S how good it was and still is. The music is timeless. As you said, it makes you want it all -- up to and including "Volume 50" of every track ever recorded there!!!

Hi again, Philles/Mtown Gary

Recently I posted here a thread about "Philly Soul Outside Productins" ordained by the different producers [[Thom Bell, G & H, Harris-Baker-Young,...):

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...de-productions

Is not exhaustive and I invite all of you to add and / or correct what is wrong.

The Philly Soul "universe", only between 1968 and 1980, is unreachable, because there's PIR and subsidiaries, the outside productions, the unrealised PIR and outside productions, the productions done by Philly producers in other places [[Bobby Martin in L.A., for example with John Handy, LTD or Rockie Robbins),... the ones where the simple intervention of Sweethearts Of Sigma makes a "distinction", a touch of Philly flavor, as the case of one album by Cat Stevens,... albums where the only presence of Don Renaldo's strings is enough to recognize the Philly spirit [[Stanley Turrentine, Gordon Lowe,...).

A great salute from Spain by a Philly obsessed!

Hi again, Philles/Mtown Gary

Recently I posted here a thread about "Philly Soul Outside Productins" ordained by the different producers [[Thom Bell, G & H, Harris-Baker-Young,...):

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...de-productions

Is not exhaustive and I invite all of you to add and / or correct what is wrong.

The Philly Soul "universe", only between 1968 and 1980, is unreachable, because there's PIR and subsidiaries, the outside productions, the unrealised PIR and outside productions, the productions done by Philly producers in other places [[Bobby Martin in L.A., for example with John Handy, LTD or Rockie Robbins),... the ones where the simple intervention of Sweethearts Of Sigma makes a "distinction", a touch of Philly flavor, as the case of one album by Cat Stevens,... albums where the only presence of Don Renaldo's strings is enough to recognize the Philly spirit [[Stanley Turrentine, Gordon Lowe,...).

A great salute from Spain by a Philly obsessed!
    I'm impressed, Manny! See my comments on your more recent Philly Soul thread.

Just got this recording in the mail, and am loving it. I only knew Vivian Reed from her Broadway show and her later recordings. This is a totally different sound!

Am I nuts or does Baby Baby [[I'll Be Your Woman Till I Die) have a fleeting resemblance to Gary Puckett & The Union Gap's Woman, Woman?

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Just got this recording in the mail, and am loving it. I only knew Vivian Reed from helr Broadway show and her later recordings. This is a totally different sound!

Am I nuts or does Baby Baby [[I'll Be Your Woman Till I Die) have a fleeting resemblance to Gary Puckett & The Union Gap's Woman, Woman?
    Hey Thom! I had a feeling you would like it! [[Sorry to have cost you even MORE money out of your wallet! HaHa!) You're right -- Vivian Reed's Epic CD is a great collection! Not at all Broadway -- pure pop and soul!

No, you're not nuts! "Baby Baby [[I'll Be Your Woman 'Til I Die)" is indeed an answer record to Gary Puckett's "Woman, Woman" [[as mentioned above in the opening post of this thread). I've always liked Gary's original version, but I think I like Vivian's version even better -- especially the back-up girls' vocals.

Hey, Philles

have you see the youtube video posted by Marv about "Black Music in the 70's"? Here appears Vivian Reed speaking and also singing in a kind of "opera pop-soul" performance [[is around the half of the video)

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Hey Thom! I had a feeling you would like it! [[Sorry to have cost you even MORE money out of your wallet! HaHa!) You're right -- Vivian Reed's Epic CD is a great collection! Not at all Broadway -- pure pop and soul!

No, you're not nuts! "Baby Baby [[I'll Be Your Woman 'Til I Die)" is indeed an answer record to Gary Puckett's "Woman, Woman" [[as mentioned above in the opening post of this thread). I've always liked Gary's original version, but I think I like Vivian's version even better -- especially the back-up girls' vocals.
    Yes, Gary, you did mention that and I forgot it after I read your original post!! The price of getting older! And, yes, you have cost me more money than almost anyone on this board with the exception of Andy Skurow! But, I certainly don't mind spending it on the releases you suggest. If not new releases then my money would be spent on food and, frankly, music sustains the soul so it is more beneficial in these trying times!

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Yes, Gary, you did mention that and I forgot it after I read your original post!! The price of getting older! And, yes, you have cost me more money than almost anyone on this board with the exception of Andy Skurow! But, I certainly don't mind spending it on the releases you suggest. If not new releases then my money would be spent on food and, frankly, music sustains the soul so it is more beneficial in these trying times!
    HaHa! You're so right, Thom! Those frivolous expenses like eating can put a real dent in our music budget! Reality aside, a big, heartfelt thank you for the compliment!

Hey, Philles

have you see the youtube video posted by Marv about "Black Music in the 70's"? Here appears Vivian Reed speaking and also singing in a kind of "opera pop-soul" performance [[is around the half of the video)
    Hey, Manny! Have you got a link for that video? I found a folder for "Black Music In The '70's", but I didn't find a video for Vivian Reed.

Here's the link to Marv's thread:
    http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...merica-The-70s

And here's the link directly to Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hVwTxiQU_4

[[The audio quality is very deficient but the documental value is great, great scene also by The O'Jays singing live "Stand Up"!)

Here's the link to Marv's thread:
    http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...merica-The-70s

And here's the link directly to Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hVwTxiQU_4

[[The audio quality is very deficient but the documental value is great, great scene also by The O'Jays singing live "Stand Up"!)
    Thanks, Manny....and Marv! Yeah, it was cool! I especially enjoy the segments with Diana, Smokey, Ashford & Simpson, Evelyn "Champaign" King, The Trammps. and Lou Rawls! Those were the days for music! I miss 'em bad.

Vivian Reed-new album and more...

Following the CD release of the 'Epic Years collection', Vivian Reed has released a brand new album in February 'Vivian Reed: Standards and More'-all songs are selections she recently performed during a series of shows at NYC Metropolitan Room to rave reviews- The album on her own label is available both on CD and digital on CDBaby, Amazon, itunes etc...
    Atco [[Atlantic) has several unreleased tracks in their vaults from an album that was never released, one of them being Vivian's version of 'Touch me in the morning'-hopefully all those tracks will one day appear with the commercial singles
    There are also about 40 songs recorded on various labels in Europe in the 80's [[2 albums: Vivian Reed and 'Live at the Espace Cardin' on Carrere records as well as number of singles for various labels.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Hot off the CD press is the release of Vivian Reed's "Yours Until Tomorrow: The Epic Years", courtesy of SoulMusicRecords. It marks "a first-ever compilation of all of the recordings by renowned entertainer Vivian Reed, cut between 1968-1971 for Epic Records. Included is Vivian's sole self-titled Epic LP, along with non-album tracks issued as A and B sides of singles issued both before and after the album's release in 1968."

The track lineup is as follows:
    1. Baby Baby [[I'll Be Your Woman 'TiI I Die)
    2. I
    3. Yours Until Tomorrow
    4. I Wanna Be Free
    5. Look the Other Way
    6. Down Here on The Ground
    7. You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling / [[You're My) Soul and Inspiration
    8. Harper Valley P.T.A.
    9. Walk on My Side
    10. Let's Fall in Love All Over
    11. The Shape of Things to Come
    12. I've Gotta Be Me
    13. Somewhere [[From "West Side Story")
    14. Mama Open the Door
    15. Then I'll Be Over You
    16. Unbelievable
    17. Lean on Me
    18. Missing You
    19. I Feel the Earth Move
    20. Don't Close the Door on Me

This is a really exciting release! Vivian's vocals are both fresh and appealing. The material is top-notch in most cases, and the sound quality is excellent throughout. [[In my opinion, the only throw-away tracks are "Harper Valley PTA" and "The Shape Of Things To Come", but, who knows, they could turn out to be your favorites!)

My personal favorite tracks are:
    TRACK #
    :
    1) "Baby Baby [[I'll Be Your Woman 'Til I Die" [[which is a beautiful answer record to Gary Puckett & The Union Gap's "Woman Woman". Should have been a huge hit!)
    3) "Yours Until Tomorrow" [[A beautiful ballad)
    5) "Look The Other Way" [[a Philly track also recorded by Lesley Gore)
    7) "You've Lost That Loving Feeling/Soul And Inspiration" [[a great musical arrangement)
    9) "Walk On My Side"
    12) "I've Gotta Be Me" [[an outstanding bluesy version of Sammy Davis, Jr.'s, standard)
    13) "Somewhere" [[from "West Side Story" -- also given a fresh, bluesy treatment)
    16) "Unbelievable" [[Also bluesy)

For The Van McCoy fans -- two beautiful productions from 1971:
    17) "Lean On Me" [[the original, laid-back version of the masterpiece ballad covered 4 years later by Melba Moore), and
    18) "Missing You" [[a mid-tempo, Motown-flavored tune with a real nice shuffle beat) BOTH RECORDINGS ARE TOP-NOTCH VAN McCOY/JOE COBB PRODUCTIONS!

and, finally,
    19) "I Feel The Earth Move" [[a hot, rollicking version of the Carole King hit. Vivian can really get down!)

I bought Vivian Reed's "Yours Until Tomorrow: The Epic Years" CD for the two Van McCoy productions, but I ended up falling in love with more than half of the songs enclosed. Don't be fooled -- although Vivian Reed was famous for her Broadway performances, don't let that scare you. This CD is pure Pop/Soul. It's hard to fathom why her records didn't skyrocket up the charts.

Here's the Amazon [[U.S.) link:
    https://www.amazon.com/Yours-Until-T...vivian+reed+cd

Thanks for the info, Lionel. I could get really excited about that previously-unreleased Atco album! Vivian's Atco tracks that I've heard were all Philly Soul songs recorded at Sigma Sound -- and they're top-notch quality, too! Let's hope that the Atco release will see the light of day sooner rather than later.