[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Whoopi lets Mariah have it

On the View today Whoopi suggested Dick Clark Productions get Darlene and Patti who tore it up in the View for next years show and that Mariah stop blaming everyone else. Go Whoopi
    Last edited by luke; 01-03-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Ouch. Well, she's right. That was a travesty.

Mistakes happen....and that appears to be the culprit here.
    Mariah could have moved on from there......
    but instead she blamed Dick Clark Productions [[without proof) for purposely sabotaging her Act and she deserved to get dragged.

Yep. And Dick Clark Productions stage many music events...Billboard Music Awarrd, AMAs etc. They firmly denied any atttempt to "sabotage" Mariah. as she put it. Self destruct button is on and publicity for her silly reality show

She should have just sang her song like the true greats would have, Aretha Franklin, Gladys Knight, Mary Wilson, Patti Labelle, Dionne....women that have been in the business 30 years longer than Mariah. I don't think she could remember the words to the song!

She was carried on stage for rehearsal! And witnesses said she didn't bother to sing then.

I haven't seen Mariah's actual "performance" yet but this story has been running on all of the entertainment shows, especially since this is at least the second time that Mariah has experienced "technical difficulties" during a live telecast. It wasn't too long ago that there was some sort of problem at an NBC Christmas Show.

I wasn't sure if it was Mariah or her manager who are pointing fingers at Dick Clark Productions. But it doesn't help in any event. That said, I do wonder why DCP chose to keep the bad performance in for the West Coast feed of the program. Surely, they had some safety footage that could have been put in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    She was carried on stage for rehearsal! And witnesses said she didn't bother to sing then.
    I heard that she didn't even rehearse and that they used a stand in for her. I've been in Time Square when they rehearse for Dick Clark's Rockin' Eve and it is a very big deal, the rehearsal that is......

Here it is:

She got paid for that.

Looks like she did rehearse, or at least did the sound check:

http://www.lovebscott.com/news/maria...s-photos-video

I've never cared for her screetching, err I mean, "singing" abilites, but this is a new low even for her...

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She should have just sang her song like the true greats would have, Aretha Franklin, Gladys Knight, Mary Wilson, Patti Labelle, Dionne....women that have been in the business 30 years longer than Mariah. I don't think she could remember the words to the song!
    Someone sent me a video of Stephanie Mills performing at an outdoor concert in the summer, and she had technical difficulties but stopped the track and sang the entire song acapella with her background singers and they didn't miss a beat, and the audience ate it up. After Stephanie finished the song she said, "now that's how you do that." If I find the video, I'll post it.

Quote Originally Posted by nysister View Post
    Someone sent me a video of Stephanie Mills performing at an outdoor concert in the summer, and she had technical difficulties but stopped the track and sang the entire song acapella with her background singers and they didn't miss a beat, and the audience ate it up. After Stephanie finished the song she said, "now that's how you do that." If I find the video, I'll post it.

Stephanie is and has always been a true talent and now legend!

Latest live thread I can find.... brilliant as ever

Yep. After her stand in she went up to mic and sang La De Da and said ererythibg sounds fine and left "rehearsal ". What a pro!

I see you have managed to somehow compare Mary Wilson with Aretha, Gladys, Patti and Dionne. Don't quite know what to say to that so i shall say nothing - for now.

she didnt even TRY to sing just bitched every few secounds pacing the stage then her dancer gave her a bend like he was holding a bag of cement..it was the most shoddiest unproffesional you cant even say 'performance" I have ever witnessed..dire..then her lip sincing of "we belong" was tragic as well..who goes on stage and says they havent sound checked ? what was she thinking ?..pitiful

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I see you have managed to somehow compare Mary Wilson with Aretha, Gladys, Patti and Dionne. Don't quite know what to say to that so i shall say nothing - for now.
    Say, "Wow, Mary Wilson can sing LIVE, whether there is music or not!"

Last edited by marv2; 01-06-2017 at 03:48 AM.

Now, without music and even sitting down! Mary Wilson can sing LIVE, today!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Thank you for posting this video! \

Thx Marv. Great performances by Mary, one of the great ones as is Stephanie! Someone please forward these clips to Ms Carey!!
    Last edited by luke; 01-06-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Mariah Carey does not sing live, most of her performance is lip-synched. Since she was unable to hear her vocal tracks, she was unable to mime along. That's why she didn't just sing along -- she doesn't sing outside of the recording studio. Any competent vocalist would have just sung along to the track, since it was clear that her dancers and everyone else could hear it fine. But Mariah does not do live vocals, hence the train wreck.

I already have tickets for her show with Lionel Richie at the Hollywood Bowl in May, but I believe she could be dropped from the tour by then.

I want to see Lionel but I can't do Mariah, I just can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Mariah Carey does not sing live, most of her performance is lip-synched. Since she was unable to hear her vocal tracks, she was unable to mime along. That's why she didn't just sing along -- she doesn't sing outside of the recording studio. Any competent vocalist would have just sung along to the track, since it was clear that her dancers and everyone else could hear it fine. But Mariah does not do live vocals, hence the train wreck.

I already have tickets for her show with Lionel Richie at the Hollywood Bowl in May, but I believe she could be dropped from the tour by then.
    When she first started out she did perform live. I worked with her on a few occasions in the 90's. I have mixed memories of this "unique" experience, but i do recall on one occasion when she visited the UK to promote the "emotions" album. She did a storming live version of the title track on the "wogan" show. She sang it in a lower key but she tore the place down. As the 90's progressed she began to lip synch more and more, and by the end of the 90's it was pretty much 100% lip synching. By this time her voice was past it's best. Basically she did not look after her voice in the right way, and as a result she lost much of her vocal power. She was never much of a live act. Her concerts lacked emotion [[pardon the play on words), and she lacked charisma on stage. In the early days she was wonderful in the studio but even that became a chore as the 90's wore on. Now she is all but finished and i wish she would retire gracefully. I fear another Whitney style tragedy. She has more than enough money to be able to live in luxury for the rest of her life. I hope she can find the inner peace she so badly needs before it is too late.

Wow, fascinating post, thank you bluebrock

When she first started out she did perform live. I worked with her on a few occasions in the 90's. I have mixed memories of this "unique" experience, but i do recall on one occasion when she visited the UK to promote the "emotions" album. She did a storming live version of the title track on the "wogan" show. She sang it in a lower key but she tore the place down. As the 90's progressed she began to lip synch more and more, and by the end of the 90's it was pretty much 100% lip synching. By this time her voice was past it's best. Basically she did not look after her voice in the right way, and as a result she lost much of her vocal power. She was never much of a live act. Her concerts lacked emotion [[pardon the play on words), and she lacked charisma on stage. In the early days she was wonderful in the studio but even that became a chore as the 90's wore on. Now she is all but finished and i wish she would retire gracefully. I fear another Whitney style tragedy. She has more than enough money to be able to live in luxury for the rest of her life. I hope she can find the inner peace she so badly needs before it is too late.
    All of that because she flubbed a TV appearance? Really? I mean really?

All of that because she flubbed a TV appearance? Really? I mean really?
    All of that because i think it is relevant to the topic, so especially for you as you appear to have difficulty in grasping it. Really? I mean really?

[QUOTE=marv2;365440]Now, without music and even sitting down! Mary Wilson can sing LIVE, today!

Mary Wilson is repeatedly flat and never musical. She "sings," but it is not pleasant to the ear. It is someone with a mic and a captive audience. Not everyone's singing voice is beautiful, just like not everyone's speaking voice is beautiful. Quality runs the gambit. Wilson has more courage than talent.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 01-07-2017 at 01:35 PM.

[QUOTE=Circa 1824;365634]

Mary Wilson is repeatedly flat and never musical. She "sings," but it is not pleasant to the ear. It is someone with a mic and a captive audience. Not everyone's singing voice is beautiful, just like not everyone's speaking voice is beautiful. Quality runs the gambit. Wilson has more courage than talent.
    Yes, i would agree with much of what you say. I have always admired Mary rather than been an actual fan of her rather pedestrian vocal ability. She deserves credit for making the most of a limited talent. Be prepared for an onslaught of "Mary is a Goddess" from you know who. At least it gives Mariah some breathing space. Good post Circa 1824.

All of that because i think it is relevant to the topic, so especially for you as you appear to have difficulty in grasping it. Really? I mean really?
    Ain't nothing going to happen to Mariah Carey. She is going to be fine in every sense of the word!

[QUOTE=Circa 1824;365634]

She sounds much better than that screeching bullshit Diana Ross puts out there now a days.....yuk!

Ain't nothing going to happen to Mariah Carey. She is going to be fine in every sense of the word!
    I do hope so.

[QUOTE=marv2;365643]
    Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post

She sounds much better than that screeching bullshit Diana Ross puts out there now a days.....yuk!
    That is purely a matter of opinion, and trust you to yet again drag Diana into another thread. You really do need to freshen up your act and stop being so predictable.
    As regards Mary, beautiful though she has always been , she has also lacked star quality and stage presence. She was missing that vital ingredient to make her into a superstar and legend, unlike her former colleague.

[QUOTE=Bluebrock;365665]
    That is purely a matter of opinion, and trust you to yet again drag Diana into another thread. You really do need to freshen up your act and stop being so predictable.
    As regards Mary, beautiful though she has always been , she has also lacked star quality and stage presence. She was missing that vital ingredient to make her into a superstar and legend, unlike her former colleague.
    Diane can no longer sing. She has lost her voice. Go and enjoy her old records.

[QUOTE=Bluebrock;365665]
    DNE my dear BLuebrock. Do not engage with this person whos real disturbed imho. Happy New Year my dear sweet man and my God bless you now and always,

In Freindship.

Roberts

Great article. Thank you Luke!!!

[QUOTE=Roberta75;365693]

DNE my dear BLuebrock. Do not engage with this person whos real disturbed imho. Happy New Year my dear sweet man and my God bless you now and always,

In Freindship.

Roberts
    You are quite correct Roberta. Life is too short to waste on debating with certain undesirables. There are more than enough genuinely nice people on here such as yourself to more than compensate for other lesser individuals.
    Happy New Year to you my dear friend whom i am blessed to have in my life away from this forum as well as on it. Much love as always.

I often think Mariah has the same problems Whitney had times ten. Least Whitney could still somehow sing live until her death but Mariah can't even carry a note. That's the sad part considering when she started, she sang live and was amazing... not now though. And I'm a fan!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I often think Mariah has the same problems Whitney had times ten. Least Whitney could still somehow sing live until her death but Mariah can't even carry a note. That's the sad part considering when she started, she sang live and was amazing... not now though. And I'm a fan!
    I am with you all the way on this one. Her voice has well and truly gone at a very early age. It is pitiful to see how she is these days. I hope she sorts her personal demons out before it is too late.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Whitney definitely had vocal problems right up until her tragic passing. If you listen to her final performance of "Jesus Loves Me" at one of the Grammy parties on the evening before she passed, she was barely able to sing. These legendary ladies have their moments of vocal rough patches and vocal brilliance after all of these years of singing so hard. The human voice is not meant to endure consistent use and abuse to the extent they had to during their early years of constant touring.

In case you want to see a fairly recent impromptu performance of Mariah singing [[because she STILL can), here you go...

https://twitter.com/kbyrd2/status/81...971585/video/1

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Whitney definitely had vocal problems right up until her tragic passing. If you listen to her final performance of "Jesus Loves Me" at one of the Grammy parties on the evening before she passed, she was barely able to sing. These legendary ladies have their moments of vocal rough patches and vocal brilliance after all of these years of singing so hard. The human voice is not meant to endure consistent use and abuse to the extent they had to during their early years of constant touring.

In case you want to see a fairly recent impromptu performance of Mariah singing [[because she STILL can), here you go...

https://twitter.com/kbyrd2/status/81...971585/video/1
    Yep, she did that! "Fly Like a Bird" is my absolute favorite Mariah track. Here's hoping she'll bounce back.

This thread made me think of the clip of the 70s Supremes [[Mary, Scherrie, Cindy) who without any warning have to do The Star Spangled Banner - a very difficult song to sing at its best - acapella because there was no music available for the broadcast. It's a stunning vocal. It shows up occasionally on YouTube and happens to be there now.

Mariah needs to get a grip.

Last edited by kenneth; 01-09-2017 at 02:24 AM.

Great point Kenneth. Simply superb!

A very good example of what to do if you are a true professional!

Thanks guys. That clip simply has to appear on a 70s Lost and Found on the girls someday!

I knew someone would post the Supremes clip and it's a great moment for sure where they made the best of a bad situation...but it still is different from Mariah's situation because in her case, she was performing in Times Square with overwhelmingly loud noise from crowds and could not hear herself. Or at least that is what she says.

@Carlo, I think you're most magnanimous!