[REMOVE ADS]

Aretha Franklin health update: "No one in my family said I had pancreatic cancer."

Aretha Franklin Sets The Record Straight On Her Health

LOS ANGELES, Calif. --

Aretha Franklin is speaking out regarding her recent health scare.

Access Hollywood’s Shaun Robinson — a friend of the Queen of Soul for nearly 20 years – got the scoop from Aretha, herself, as the seasoned singer revealed why she chose to address recent health rumors.

“Well, there was just so many wild things out there and just so many things being said that weren’t true,” Aretha told Shaun in a phone interview on Thursday. “I just felt I needed to address it a little.”

Aretha, 68, admits there was indeed a health scare, but she isn’t ready to divulge specifics just yet.

“I went through a number of procedures before I knew what was wrong,” Aretha told Shaun.

“I know that you revealed to Jet magazine that you initially sought treatment because of a pain in your side,” Shaun replied. “Did the pain get so severe that you said, ‘Hey, there’s got to be something wrong here?’”

“Yeah, the pain was so hard it almost brought me to my knees,” Aretha revealed. “I was in Birmingham and then Boston and after that concert the same pain hit me again.

“I really just began to not feel good and I said, ‘Oh, no this is it, I can’t do any more concerts till I know what the problem is,’” she added.

The “Freedom” chanteuse shot down rampart reports that she had been stricken with pancreatic cancer, saying, “I don’t know where ‘pancreatic cancer’ came from.

“I was sitting there reading the newspaper and it was saying someone in my family said that,” Aretha continued. “No one in my family ever said that to anybody.”

The beloved artist received an overwhelming outpouring of “Respect” from high-profile well-wishers during her recovery – including the Commander In Chief.

“I got a wonderful and beautiful letter from the President,” Aretha told Shaun. “And nobody does it like him!”

Access is thrilled to report that Aretha is expected to continuing blessing us with her phenomenal voice and fashion-forward hats for the foreseeable future.

“So, it’s safe to say to your fans that we will be seeing Aretha Franklin for many years to come, right?” Shaun asked Aretha.

“That’s what my doctor said,” Aretha replied. “He said, ‘The surgery that you just had is going to add 15 to 20 more years to your life.’”

In addition to her positive health report, the singer has won yet another battle – her struggle with weight.

“I’m down to a rockin’ [size] 16 - 18,” she excitedly told Shaun.

“Oh, I’m comin’ with it, OK?!?” she laughed. “It’s getting better every day. I plan on keeping this weight that I have now — I’m so happy with it.”

Aretha is up for a Best R&B Grammy for her duet with Ronald Isley and while she’ll likely miss that party, she promises to resume her concert tour.

“My concerts don’t start until May and then I’m going to reschedule Washington, Virginia and Kansas City,” she told Shaun. “Those are some of the places I had to cancel because of the procedure I had to have.”

Copyright 2011 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
    This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

Wow. How great is this!!!

Whoomp! There it is! LOL!!!! Love Aretha!

I knew it. You just can't believe the things you read. I had heard that a "family" member was the one that supposedly said it was pancreatic cancer. But it was never confirmed so I didn't believe it.

True. I did start to question the reports around the time of Teena's death. They were changing the story around. First it was a relative, then it was a family friend, then it was an anonymous source! I just wanted to make sure myself. I admitted I acted weird during the beginning of this month but I'm starting to be relieved that whatever ailed Aretha she's healing fast from. It's too early for her to go, she's not done yet.

Shame on all of those people here who put their faith into the reports of doom and gloom and/or stated this was a "publicity stunt".

Like I've been saying, we didn't know what was REALLY happening, so to make all sorts of conclusions based on unconfirmed reports was just craziness. The Lord always has the last word on the matter! Great to hear Aretha is doing well. It's an answer to our prayers. All the praise and glory to God!

Amen, say it again!

The only thing I don't understand, and maybe its not for me to understand, is that she could have went to the hospital and had her surgery- like she did, and not mention anything to anyone and no one would have been the wiser. Why announce it? One thing is for sure, her movie most likely will get made now, and her concerts will sell out. Alls well that ends well.

Well, I am happy to hear this and I hope she has got her weight under control so she can live a very long, productive
    life. God bless her!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Shame on all of those people here who put their faith into the reports of doom and gloom and/or stated this was a "publicity stunt".

Like I've been saying, we didn't know what was REALLY happening, so to make all sorts of conclusions based on unconfirmed reports was just craziness. The Lord always has the last word on the matter! Great to hear Aretha is doing well. It's an answer to our prayers. All the praise and glory to God!

+1 I refused to get all emotional about it until I knew what it was. We never found out, so I didn't get upset.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    Well, I am happy to hear this and I hope she has got her weight under control so she can live a very long, productive
    life. God bless her!
    She actually was cutting down on her weight starting in 2009, she lost more last year.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    +1 I refused to get all emotional about it until I knew what it was. We never found out, so I didn't get upset.
    With RERE you may never find out fiction from fact - did you read her book?

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    With RERE you may never find out fiction from fact - did you read her book?
    No. Not really interested unless there is a lot of info about recording and business dealings.

GREAT NEWS,
    Please stay positive

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    No. Not really interested unless there is a lot of info about recording and business dealings.
    There is not much of that - mostly starry eyed recollections Of a Diva - The Queen of Soul.

According to what I heard, Aretha first discovered she had a problem in September. During one show, some fans say they noticed that she looked hurt. I guess this is when the "hard pains" started coming in.

For her not to come out and say what is wrong I think she is just covering up something that would have been fatal unless she wants to be insurable and that is why she is not saying anything.

Another example of a story spinning out of control. There were little facts and the media over-speculated. Who knows...maybe she simply had a gastric bypass?? She said...“[The doctor] said, ‘The surgery that you just had is going to add 15 to 20 more years to your life.’”

I'm sure when the time is right, Aretha will explain. In the meantime, it's great to hear she's healthy and happy.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    According to what I heard, Aretha first discovered she had a problem in September. During one show, some fans say they noticed that she looked hurt. I guess this is when the "hard pains" started coming in.
    Aretha mentioned that she was having pains around the time of her Boston concert. She was in the Boston area in June and August, and I caught one of the shows.

Her weight loss was apparent. Now knowing that she was seriously ill at the time, it makes sense that it was one of the least satisfactory Aretha shows that I've attended. Her set list was strange. More than that, her energy level was low, and from the stage, she mentioned that she was a bit under the weather, regurgitating and so forth. It wasn't long after this that she fell and fractured her ribs.

Whatever is going on now, I wish Aretha the best.
    Last edited by reese; 01-14-2011 at 11:04 PM.

Heck, I was so happy to hear this news, I almost did the happy dance! LOL! Aretha and her music has been a part of my, our lives for so long. The news of her serious illness was quite depressing. People talked about it over the holidays ,etc. I am just happy that she's happy and will continue.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Aretha mentioned that she was having pains around the time of her Boston concert. She was in the Boston area in June and August, and I caught one of the shows.

Her weight loss was apparent. Now knowing that she was seriously ill at the time, it makes sense that it was one of the least satisfactory Aretha shows that I attended. Her set list was strange. More than that, Her energy level was low, and from the stage, she mentioned that she was a bit under the weather, regurgitating and so forth. It wasn't long after this that she fell and fractured her ribs.

Whatever is going on now, I wish Aretha the best.
    Yeah no doubt she was going through a real tough time.

Great news..

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    For her not to come out and say what is wrong I think she is just covering up something that would have been fatal unless she wants to be insurable and that is why she is not saying anything.
    She never reveals a lot of information anyway. It's the usual "none of your business" stuff. I'm still upset she thinks Halle Berry can play her. Are you kidding, Ree?! LOL

topdiva1 Guest
    She never reveals a lot of information anyway. It's the usual "none of your business" stuff. I'm still upset she thinks Halle Berry can play her. Are you kidding, Ree?! LOL
    You are so right with this statement.

Perhaps Aretha had gallstones.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Perhaps Aretha had gallstones.

Whatever she has - it may never truthfully be revealed - it was also believed she had the by - pass operation and may have had some bad after effects - that however could be yet another URBAN LEGEND

At any rate we should all continue just to wish The Queen of Soul a FULL RECOVERY and welcome her back to the stage, where she belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    Whatever she has - it may never truthfully be revealed - it was also believed she had the by - pass operation and may have had some bad after effects - that however could be yet another URBAN LEGEND

At any rate we should all continue just to wish The Queen of Soul a FULL RECOVERY and welcome her back to the stage, where she belongs.
    Exactly. Still praying.

wonder_woman Guest
    We'd love to see her perform in the UK oneday, she could always sail over on the QE2!

Quote Originally Posted by wonder_woman View Post
    We'd love to see her perform in the UK oneday, she could always sail over on the QE2!
    Wonder if anyone told her that... she probably thought the only way she could get there was through airplanes, which she hasn't been in since 1984.

Wonder if anyone told her that... she probably thought the only way she could get there was through airplanes, which she hasn't been in since 1984.
    I believe that option was presented to her at one point, and she said something like it was too much water. :-)

I believe that option was presented to her at one point, and she said something like it was too much water. :-)
    LOL not surprised.

The news about Aretha's health has led to some interesting activity from her former labels. Sony has a 12 disc boxed set coming titled TAKE A LOOK: COMPLETE ON COLUMBIA, which is full of rarities from her Columbia days and Sony also has Aretha Franklin, the Great American Songbook.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 01-18-2011 at 07:48 PM.

^ I wonder if Atlantic is up next...

topdiva1 Guest

She's just different and difficult to understand and believe - a mystical Queen.

^ Most gifted artists are difficult. I guess it's a must that if you're that brilliant [[I'll go as far as calling Ree a musical genius), you're gonna automatically be difficult.

topdiva1 Guest
    ^ Most gifted artists are difficult. I guess it's a must that if you're that brilliant [[I'll go as far as calling Ree a musical genius), you're gonna automatically be difficult.
    Yet in still - they are only performing a song - not performing brain surgery. S why go the difficult route.

midnightman, it's been my experience that anyone who doesn't do what others want them to do, will often be labeled difficult whether genius, artistic or not.

Millions of people have phobias that go from mild to extreme and everything in between. Wikipedia has a rather interesting break down on fear of flying which can be about flying in and of itself or a combination of other fears.

As far as the ship thing, I have a friend that doesn't do the ship thing either. His rationale, he can't drink that much water, but I think it has more to do with not being able to see the break between land and ocean that upsets him, which could be another type of phobia, who knows. We all have our quirks.