[REMOVE ADS]

!967 Photo: Motown Studio -- Supremes

This photo appeared in a Record World mag dated 12 Aug 67.
    It was posted alongside an article about a Supremes & Tops show staged @ Forrest Hills NY on Sat 29th July 67.

TWO questions .... anyone know the date of the photo [[as it may have been Florence's last Motown studio session ... she was sent on 2 weeks official 'leave of absence' a few days after the Forrest Hills show and that was the end of her in the group) ... Was Florence actually on that Forrest Hills show ?

2ND Q .... did the documentary that was being filmed that day get released ... if so, under what title ??
    Attachment 12315

They were supposed to be recording "Mother You, Smother You " in that picture, so........it was before 1967.

1966...they were recording a segment for a special called the Anatomy of Pop.

Happy New Year Carlo.

[QUOTE=carlo;364735]1966...they were recording a segment for a special called the Anatomy of Pop.[/QUOTE

As many of us know, there was a special "Anatomy of Pop" which is now available on YouTube which featured the "studio" version of the Supremes singing "My World is Empty Without You." I didn't realize there was another Anatomy of Pop in the works which would feature this "Mother You, Smother You."

I don't recall where I first saw the "Mother You, Smother You" footage but it seems it may have been the Motown 40 special???
    Last edited by jobucats; 01-03-2017 at 08:44 AM.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember this clip from motown 40 was also in anatomy of pop? In addition to the my world is empty without you clip?

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I could be wrong, but I seem to remember this clip from motown 40 was also in anatomy of pop? In addition to the my world is empty without you clip?
    Those were two different shows that came on in the sixties.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    This photo appeared in a Record World mag dated 12 Aug 67.
    It was posted alongside an article about a Supremes & Tops show staged @ Forrest Hills NY on Sat 29th July 67.

TWO questions .... anyone know the date of the photo [[as it may have been Florence's last Motown studio session ... she was sent on 2 weeks official 'leave of absence' a few days after the Forrest Hills show and that was the end of her in the group) ... Was Florence actually on that Forrest Hills show ?

2ND Q .... did the documentary that was being filmed that day get released ... if so, under what title ??
    Attachment 12315
    Flo's last show was at the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas on July 1st, 1967. I believe the next engagement was at the Forest Hills Tennis Stadium, with Cindy.

Re the photo, as others have mentioned, it was during a mock recording session for MOTHER YOU, SMOTHER YOU. I'm not sure what the purpose of the documentary was, but it wasn't for THE ANATOMY OF POP. . The only place I've seen a clip of it was on the MOTOWN 40 documentary. There are also a couple of photos from the session in the Supremes' 1967 concert program.

So the 'studio session' was a mock up for a documentary, the footage shot for that documentary never having escaped from the video tape / film vaults. CHEERS.

I went to july 29t forest hill show after i heard all over t radio that florence ballard was no longer w t supremes it was cindy birdsong on that stage and t souvenior booklet they gave out was called an evening w diana toss and the supremes, t backing vocals were dramatically decreased mary was carry t background. I also went to t 66 show with flo in t lineup w stevie wonder snd temptations. And t 68 august show where they performed some things u never get used to in t ink spot gowns

That photo is from 1966 not 67

So if Flo had not made a mess the night she was fired, would she have finished out the flamingo engagement and then gracefully bow out and let Cindy take over?