[REMOVE ADS]

How do you rate Cher as a vocalist?

..Take away the image..the acting career..the tabloid life..what do you think Of Cher as a singer? I think her voice is quite unique but shes made some bad material choices..did you dig her singing on Sonny and Cher show ? the lady has certainly sung a whole range of material in her career..Is there anything that shes done that stands out for you? Just judge her on her voice Im not interested in posts of anything else but a discussion of her pipes..cheers

I really liked Cher's voice on the Gold Star recordings. I particularly like trying to identify her tones on vocal backing eg Ronettes.

I like her a lot. And she's put out some really good stuff in those earlier years which I still get pleasure from listening too

Her "Dream Baby" [[as Cherilyn is still one of my favourite 45's)

I know she did backing on "Be My baby" and "Youve Lost That Loving Feeling"..but why does my fading memory tell me she did "Do Ron Ron" aswell?..Im sure she did
    Happy New Year theboyfromxtown !..I will try and find a copy of "Dream Baby" cheers...

I like a lot of Cher's material. I grew up on her as a tv star, so I didn't really know she made records for a long time. The first song I can remember really liking was TAKE ME HOME. But after going back in her catalogue, I started to like the oldies like BABY DON'T GO and ALL I REALLY WANT TO DO. More recent songs like BELIEVE and SONG FOR THE LONELY have become faves as well. I can't think of the title right now, but her solo in BURLESQUE was a great performance as well.

topdiva1 Guest
    Great and truely unique voice - easy to identify - great takent - in an area of her own - much like Tina Turner, and a few others.

..."Heart of Stone" was a good vocal she stole that sucker from Bucks Fizz and made it her own..her opening verse of "Strong Enough" where she sings "I dont need your sympathy.." against the piano sends shivers down my spine but I dont think alot of those late 80s Bon Jovi type numbers have aged that well..she did a good job on "walking in Memphis" to..

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    ..."Heart of Stone" was a good vocal she stole that sucker from Bucks Fizz and made it her own..her opening verse of "Strong Enough" where she sings "I dont need your sympathy.." against the piano sends shivers down my spine but I dont think alot of those late 80s Bon Jovi type numbers have aged that well..she did a good job on "walking in Memphis" to..
    You are so right - Cher's Walking In Memphis is one of the best versions of this classic ever. I was quite surprised to hear it.

Lightbulb

Not much better than Sonnys in my opinion. She h as been the beneficiary of some fine production and excellent material...but her popularity is that of a "diva"...not a gifted vocalist. It seems to me that many of her most popular recordings are chock full of echo, reverb, and many other mixing nd production gimmicks.
    Last edited by StuBass1; 01-13-2011 at 07:03 PM.

I actually like her right here..she held her own

I think she is underrated as a vocalist; she has a strong voice.

But the range is pretty limited isn't it? And it isn't all THAT distinctive.

But the strength of the voice showed and resulted in some big hits ~ Dark Lady, Bang Bang, Baby Don't Go, Believe.

She suffered from Believe the way Stevie Wonder suffered from I Just Called to Say I Love You - all the way to the bank but Believe was a production miracle.

she can thank Roachford for that Believe..she heard a track they did using that vocal effect and liked it so much she asked her producer to copy it..smart move

Gyspies, Tramps and Thieves. Pure Heaven. There is no other like Cher.

Cher is a good singer. If talking purely from a vocalizing view point she ranks. I don't know how high but she's had her share [[no pun intended), of memorable recordings including "Gypies, Tramps & Thieves". I remember her singing the hell out of Lenny Welch's "Since I Don't Have You" on television back in the day.
    Last edited by marv2; 01-13-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Stu....
    .....I was thinking the same thing. I must admit that her pitch and phrasing have improved greatly since her early work, but as a stand alone singer, she's....well.....average in my opinion.

BTW, the new back 9 on the Rock Island golf course opens this spring. You ready?

She did sound good with Patti, Nona, and Sarah.... but I tell you what's AMAZING, is her perfect blend with.....

jillfoster

Not seen that before. Cher seems to be having a whale of a time.

I love Cher especially her story songs like 'Train Of Thought', 'You Better Sit Down Kids' & 'Mama [[When My Dollies Have Babies). Like some of her later stuff too. This is my fav, a lost classic.

Really good vocalist. However I personally can't stand "Believe" and "Walking In Meemfuss."

They really do annoy me - especially the way she says "Meemfuss!"

She has a strong, powerful voice! Her very first recording, "Ringo, I Love You" was issued on the Annette label, a Phil
    Spector label named for his first wife, under the name Bonnie Jo Mason. DJs, however, told Phil's reps that she sounded
    too much like a guy, so Phil told Sonny to tell her just forget about it.
    This record was done in '64 and b/w "Beatle Blues", which was an instrumental track--the slowed down backing track
    of "Mashed Potato Time" featured on the Philles lp The Crystals Sing the Greatest Hits--and the vocals are really
    that of the Ronettes [[including Cher!).
    Anyway, I was surprised when this recording, "Ringo, I Love You", which sounds an awful lot like the Beatles' "She Loves
    You", wasn't included on the big Phil Spector box set that came out in the '90s. It's quite rare!

Looking forward to the challenge Doug...once I get my neck, back, etc in shape. I'll be in Jamaica next month to hopefully work some of that stuff out.

As for Cher and the way this topic was originally framed by nomis...while I may rate her a C- as a singer...she IS a very talented PERFORMER. She has great comedic abilities [[she pretty much carried the day on her and Sonnys television series), and developed into a credible actress. Forget the costumes, gowns, and extravagant sets...were she to stand alone against SINGERS in the class of a Streisand, Gladys Knight, Aretha, Mama Cass, Natalie Cole, Celine Dionne, Whitney Houston [[of yesteryear) or even a Kelly Clarkston of todays era...Cher would be the first one kicked off the island in my opinion... but her talent lies in her persona, staging, and poise...supported by some pretty good material.

topdiva1 Guest
    ^Mama Cass - was not that great a singer as a solo - she was a background babe -

I've often wondered about cher's singing and i think she's ok not great of course but i like her voice!

TopD...I personally think that Cass Elliot had a voice like a "bell". She was not necessarily what I'd call a "stylist"...but her vocal clarity, intonation, and range were exquisite.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Looking forward to the challenge Doug...once I get my neck, back, etc in shape. I'll be in Jamaica next month to hopefully work some of that stuff out.

As for Cher and the way this topic was originally framed by nomis...while I may rate her a C- as a singer...she IS a very talented PERFORMER. She has great comedic abilities [[she pretty much carried the day on her and Sonnys television series), and developed into a credible actress. Forget the costumes, gowns, and extravagant sets...were she to stand alone against SINGERS in the class of a Streisand, Gladys Knight, Aretha, Mama Cass, Natalie Cole, Celine Dionne, Whitney Houston [[of yesteryear) or even a Kelly Clarkston of todays era...Cher would be the first one kicked off the island in my opinion... but her talent lies in her persona, staging, and poise...supported by some pretty good material.

I agree. Cher came along when singers not only had to have good voices, they had to have something unique. Cher was always about image in my opinion. In the early days with Sonny, she seldom smiled, didn't talk much and she always wore pants, which led folk in my neighborhood to misidentify her as a 'lesbian'" She was seen as odd or exotic. I was more curious about her than interested in her as a singer. Though I liked BABY DON'T GO. a lot.
    Cher benefitted from Sonny and producers like Snuff Garrett who supplied her with great songs.
    The weekly TV show allowed her to stretch some vocally and become more stylized. I like her, but would not rate her up there with Aretha and the like.
    Last edited by Motown_M_1056; 01-14-2011 at 04:23 PM.

I don't rate Cher as a vocalist.

Cher is Cher. Just like Tina is Tina ,Diana is Diana ,Billie is Bille ,Sarah is Sarah ,Chaka is Chaka , Nina Simone is Nina Simon ,Nancy Wilson is Nancy Wilson , Dionne is Dionne ,Minnie is Minnie ,Niecy is Niecy ,Dinah is Dinah ,Patti is Patti , Aretha is Aretha and on and on.
    Anything that Cher sings ,is gonna be Cher singing. Not a vocalist. You like Cher or you don't.
    A vocalist could sing Cher and other variations including, ones own signature sound.
    Cher is Cher....

Good point daddyacey. It's been said time and time again that music is subjective, this isn't any different.
    I can't stand the sound of John Mathis and his quiver but others think he's the greatest thing since slice bread. shrugs

I like Cher's voice and as many have pointed out, it's unique and that's what draws me to her. Well that and she's a strong woman who knows her own mind and is willing to step out of the box.

The other thing that crossed my mind was a thread we had a few years ago about entertainers that were not necessarily great technical singers but were or had been successful with a large following. That's how things play out in this biz many times.

smark21 Guest
    She's a decent vocalist, she's quite versatile if you survey the types of material she has sung over the years in terms of her recordings and her old variety shows. She has a sound that is hers. But it's her ability and charisma as a performer and persona that's made her last nearly 50 years. She may not be a great artist, but she's a legendary star.

She's OK, just too much vibrato for my taste.

I think Cher is like Diana Ross not a stong singer but a unique singer. How can anyone listen to Dark Lady, Gypsies Tramps and Thives and especially The Way of Love and say she is an OK singer. Believe was a production triumph but her TRUE sound was her material in the 70s.

Her fashion statments with Bob Mackie were unbelievable. I never will forget seeing her on Sonny on tv and forgetting how they looked like hippies they were the forerunner of reinvention. Cher is a good singer and her vibrato is natural not made up. She can take a song and make it her own.

Cher is a master at reinventing herself.

I can't stand pretty much everything she's done from "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves" onward...overplayed crap, IMO. But I always enjoyed the earlier material she did for Imperial...THAT'S the Cher I know and love!!

Best,

Mark

Cher is underrated

I grew up on Cher. I’m the same age as Chaz, and as a kid, loved Cher’s music, TV show...really anything she did. As I got older, during “the tabloid years,” I wrote her off as a singer. Thought she was all style, no substance. She gained some of my respect back with her acting ability. Then I saw the film, Tea With Mussolini. At one point in the film, she sings a few bars of “Smoke Gets In Your Eyes,” a capella, and I was blown away by her tone. She really can actually sing! She is no Whitney or Aretha, but she, underneath all the production, is a very good, solid singer. JMO

I love Cher. Her voice is different but that is what I love about her. IMO she is a very good vocalist.

She sure has an expressive voice but she has no range. Odd she can still be a good singer! Any others in this category?

She certAinly supported the 70’s Supremes by offering them a couple of guest spots on her TV show. I value her acting more than her singing.
    Last edited by detmotownguy; 08-31-2018 at 12:05 AM.

A 9 out of 10. Distinctive, rich, emotional, powerful, adaptive to many kinds of music, always real, entertaining, and appealing to 60 years of pop music fans. What more can you want? Go to any church of any denomination and you can hear a 'better' singer than Cher but with zero personality. Ditto classical/opera school, performing arts school, etc. There are many types of great singers and Cher, in her distinctive way, is one!

Quote Originally Posted by divafan View Post
    I grew up on Cher. I’m the same age as Chaz, and as a kid, loved Cher’s music, TV show...really anything she did. As I got older, during “the tabloid years,” I wrote her off as a singer. Thought she was all style, no substance. She gained some of my respect back with her acting ability. Then I saw the film, Tea With Mussolini. At one point in the film, she sings a few bars of “Smoke Gets In Your Eyes,” a capella, and I was blown away by her tone. She really can actually sing! She is no Whitney or Aretha, but she, underneath all the production, is a very good, solid singer. JMO
    Well put, and not JMO - mine and millions of others as well!

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    I think Cher is like Diana Ross not a stong singer but a unique singer. How can anyone listen to Dark Lady, Gypsies Tramps and Thives and especially The Way of Love and say she is an OK singer. Believe was a production triumph but her TRUE sound was her material in the 70s.
    Diana Ross and Cher epitomize wonderful, fine singers with truly distinctive voices and style.
    I love that these two UNIQUE divas have also been friends.
    Gypsies and The Way of Love are my two favorites by Cher.

Isn't there a story to WAY OF LOVE? A fluke of some kind. Really short too ? Shortest # 1 song? Can't recall, off to wiki!

Love Cher of yore. She seems exactly like the person that shouldn't be there , yet there she is. Her cards lined up.

This is a performance that demonstrates that Cher was a powerful singer with more range than she's credited with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRbb5BVbJU4

I'm biased, I love Cher's voice.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I'm biased, I love Cher's voice.
    I agree! Her voice is very distinctive and I’ve always loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by pghmusiclover View Post
    This is a performance that demonstrates that Cher was a powerful singer with more range than she's credited with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRbb5BVbJU4
    Wonderful. The high note kills me. Girl is not a 'soul' singer but she sure sings with soul and always sounds great with a gospel choir. We need 'Stars' on CD!

She's a good singer, and I like a lot of her songs, but her voice grates on my nerves after a while.