[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Motown Releases in 2017

What else is on the cards for 2017?

Universal/Motown
    The expanded Supremes a Go Go will surely see release in one or other form [[and I'm hoping for a double CD).

There will be the second set of UK Motown EPs on 7 inch vinyl.

Culture Factory
    Rare Earth's "Willie Remembers" will be out in early 2017 on CD vinyl replica [[as well as their pre-Motown "Dreams/Answers"

ACE/KENT
    I've no idea what ACE has got planned but I'm confident that they will bring us some goodies and surprises along the way. A case of watch this space. May'be there's something to whet our appetite?

ELEMENTAL
    They continued their release schedule with some stunning Motown CD mini LPs in 2016 and I'm also expecting great things for 2017. The period that they are releasing albums from is very interesting indeed so it's not the usual re-releases all the time. Hence, we got "The Groove Governor" for instance. So what will be in 2017? Can't wait.

SPECTRUM
    Having released two sets of "5 Classic Albums" of late [[Motown Chartbusters amd Jackson 5) it will be very interesting to see if they can follow this up with some more sets in 2017. These are very nice CD releases in mini album sleeves and UK related. Very nicely done indeed for their bargain price.

SOUL MUSIC RECORDS
    Well maybe a twofer or two and possibly a continuation of their Thelma Houston expanded album releases - next in line for their treatment would logically be "The Devil In Me". Here's hoping.

So can we also expect more beautiful releases from REAL GONE MUSIC and , HALLMARK too? I think so.

Not forgetting the annual release of "Baby Love" on some CD or other lol.

What are you already aware of folks? Hopes?

I wrote Elemental congratulating them on 'Groove Governor' and asking about possible reissue of The Originals LPs.
    Never received a reply.

Spectrum have '5 Classic Albums' by The Temptations and also The Stylistics scheduled for March 3rd. No information yet about which albums though.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I wrote Elemental congratulating them on 'Groove Governor' and asking about possible reissue of The Originals LPs.
    Never received a reply.
    They have come up with some very nice releases and I think those Originals albums would fall into the right period so here's hoping. Not good practice, though, to ignore customers correspondence.

Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post
    Spectrum have '5 Classic Albums' by The Temptations and also The Stylistics scheduled for March 3rd. No information yet about which albums though.
    Nice. I would buy them both. Logically The Tempts 5 albums would be
    "Meet The Temptations", " Sing Smokey" [[with "The Way You Do The Things You Do" on both of these), "Temptin' Temptations", " Gettin' Ready" plus either "Live" or I suspect more likely "With a Lot O' Soul". Best of all with UK album sleeves and TM logos.

I'd love to see ACE release BLINKY or IVY JO HUNTER. They should be released like yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by biggestfourtops fan View Post
    I'd love to see ACE release BLINKY or IVY JO HUNTER. They should be released like yesterday.
    Too right, biggestfourtopsfan [[great name by the way)!!! Both had Motown albums cancelled so they could have Fantastic Four-style Ace compilations. Yesterday is too late in my opinion!

The Temptations "5 Classic Albums" on spectrum is now available for pre-order on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/5-Classic-A...classic+albums

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Too right, biggestfourtopsfan [[great name by the way)!!! Both had Motown albums cancelled so they could have Fantastic Four-style Ace compilations. Yesterday is too late in my opinion!
    Are you saying that Motown cancelled albums by Blinky and Ivy Jo Hunter so that ACE could release sets on them? I'm not under the impression that Motown have had any appetite to release albums by either artist. There was talk of Reel Music doing something before they stopped releasing anything.

There was quite a lot of clamour, if I recall correctly for that Fantastic Four release so ACE did a great job there. On a personal level, I am ambivalent as to whether any albums make it to release for Blinky or Ivy Jo. What I have heard so far from either I don't find that thrilling. Just an opinion of course. However, if they do get a CD release I will most likely buy them [[I do enjoy the booklets and I think it is good to support these CD releases in order to get more). If they are just downloads, I shan't bother I think.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Are you saying that Motown cancelled albums by Blinky and Ivy Jo Hunter so that ACE could release sets on them? I'm not under the impression that Motown have had any appetite to release albums by either artist. There was talk of Reel Music doing something before they stopped releasing anything.

There was quite a lot of clamour, if I recall correctly for that Fantastic Four release so ACE did a great job there. On a personal level, I am ambivalent as to whether any albums make it to release for Blinky or Ivy Jo. What I have heard so far from either I don't find that thrilling. Just an opinion of course. However, if they do get a CD release I will most likely buy them [[I do enjoy the booklets and I think it is good to support these CD releases in order to get more). If they are just downloads, I shan't bother I think.
    When it comes to Blinky [[and Ivy Jo for that matter), I don't care what format it's on! CD, Download, they could put it on reel to reel tape. A release is a release!

Are you saying that Motown cancelled albums by Blinky and Ivy Jo Hunter so that ACE could release sets on them? I'm not under the impression that Motown have had any appetite to release albums by either artist.
    No, sorry, I meant that both Blinky and Ivy Jo Hunter had Motown albums scheduled for release back in the 60s/70s but were cancelled. The Fantastic Four's cancelled Motown album was eventually released by Ace [[as "The Lost Motown Album") so I thought a similar thing could/should happen with Blinky [[her album was "Sunny And Warm") and Ivy Jo [[his was "Ivy Jo Is In This Bag").

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    When it comes to Blinky [[and Ivy Jo for that matter), I don't care what format it's on! CD, Download, they could put it on reel to reel tape. A release is a release!
    I take it you're fairly keen to see a release then lol? Remember the days when you had a choice of stereo or mono vinyl, and maybe even cassette or 8 track tape as well? For me these days, the choice is much simpler.

The 88 in my name references the year I was born! But i'm sure I could find an 8-track player on e-Bay!

Not really Motown , although :

EDDIE KENDRICKS - Something More "Expanded Edition" [[ FunkyTownGrooves CD ):
    http://www.funkytowngrooves.com/!!!-...-Edition)/3743

There's now a photo of the Tamla Motown EPs box set on Amazon but no price as yet. Hoping to bag it at a bargain pre-release price if I can.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Early-Motow...eywords=motown

Bump to top - the silence is deafening.

It would be nice to see some Jr. Walker releases this year. So much of his stuff has never been re-issued.

Junior Walker does seem to get over looked when it comes to album releases on CD. True that there have been some but many have not yet been issued on CD and all are probably due for a modern re-master.

For a while, Universal was putting out a lot of Motown albums as downloads - including several that were never released on cd [[one example: "Flying High Together" by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles). I know that many in this forum were unhappy with the format, but I was happy to buy these as lossless downloads and was hoping to eventually see all the old LPs, including albums by Jr Walker and The Undisputed Truth which have still never been released in a digital format.

Unfortunately, it seems these download releases stopped in 2015 - the last ones I bought were the Four Tops' ABC Dunhill albums.

What was released in 2016? I only recall the Bobby Darin set from Real Gone, two Ace cds [[More Motown Guys and The Rita Wright Years), and Motown Unreleased 1966.

There was much more in 2016 as mentioned throughout the year on this thread....
    http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...or-2016-so-far

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    For a while, Universal was putting out a lot of Motown albums as downloads - including several that were never released on cd [[one example: "Flying High Together" by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles). I know that many in this forum were unhappy with the format, but I was happy to buy these as lossless downloads and was hoping to eventually see all the old LPs, including albums by Jr Walker and The Undisputed Truth which have still never been released in a digital format.

Unfortunately, it seems these download releases stopped in 2015 - the last ones I bought were the Four Tops' ABC Dunhill albums.
    Ah, thanks calvin. Great info. And I agree. I wish they would digitally release all Motown albums by acts like Junior Walker, The Undisputed Truth and The Originals. Not to mention Willie Hutch, G.C. Cameron and High Inergy. It would be really great... proper, digitally-remastered stereo versions of some brilliant songs. Do you think Universal will restart doing this?

There was much more in 2016 as mentioned throughout the year on this thread....
    http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...or-2016-so-far
    Thanks for that. Yes, I did forget "Motortown Revue in Paris", announced in 2015 but released in 2016. The original LP had been on cd, but the 2016 release is an expanded version.

I'm not counting re-issues, such as those from Elemental. Yes, Jimmy Ruffin's "Groove Governor" made its cd debut, but it had already been released as a download in 2015 by Universal. Since I had already bought the lossless download I didn't buy the cd.

So, 2016 releases with new digital content:
    Motortown Revue in Paris [[expanded)
    More Motown Guys
    Syreeta - The Rita Wright Years
    Bobby Darin - Another Song on My Mind [[includes the LPs "Bobby Darin" and "Darin 1936-1973")
    Motown Unreleased 1966
    Last edited by calvin; 01-21-2017 at 09:07 AM.

Ah, thanks calvin. Great info. And I agree. I wish they would digitally release all Motown albums by acts like Junior Walker, The Undisputed Truth and The Originals. Not to mention Willie Hutch, G.C. Cameron and High Inergy. It would be really great... proper, digitally-remastered stereo versions of some brilliant songs. Do you think Universal will restart doing this?
    Yes it would be great if they started again, there are still several albums which have never been released digitally. From the artists you mention, plus others like Choker Campbell, God Squad featuring Leonard Caston, Stoney & Meatloaf, etc. We've also never had official digital releases of The Great Gospel Stars and Twistin' Kings albums, only the vinyl rips from Hallmark after the albums went into the public domain. I'd also buy downloads of those if I could.

I have no idea why they stopped the downloads [[poor sales?) and no idea if they might start again. But I don't think there were any such new releases last year, so I'd say it doesn't look good.
    Last edited by calvin; 01-20-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Yes it would be great if they started again, there are still several albums which have never been released digitally. From the artists you mention, plus others like Choker Campbell, God Squad featuring Leonard Caston, Stoney & Meatloaf, etc. We've also never had official digital releases of The Great Gospel Stars and Twistin' Kings albums, only the vinyl rips from Hallmark after the albums went into the public domain. I'd also buy downloads of those if I could.
    Yes, it's crazy how some seriously brilliant albums aren't even available on iTunes. I mean, Willie Hutch, who virtually self-wrote and self-produced the entirety of his nine Motown albums [[in a career spanning over a decade) is represented by a ridiculously small number of tracks on iTunes [[UK store in particular). Similarly, The Undisputed Truth recorded six Motown albums [[featuring incredible writing and production by Norman Whitfield) and have but one original LP on there! Crazy!

I'd also love to see that Leonard & Caston album on there too... and not to mention The Monitors' Motown album, oh, and Marv Johnson's too [[I could go on )

It would be so great to see these artists represented in Digital format
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 01-20-2017 at 09:05 PM.

I have no idea why they stopped the downloads [[poor sales?) and no idea if they might start again. But I don't think there were any such new releases last year, so I'd say it doesn't look good.
    Yes, a shame
    I hope they start it again... It's really great

Tom, do you know that The Monitors' LP [[plus more) is on this Ace cd?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004VV42IK/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by calvin; 01-21-2017 at 06:29 AM.

ACE/KENT
    I've no idea what ACE has got planned but I'm confident that they will bring us some goodies and surprises along the way. A case of watch this space. May'be there's something to whet our appetite?
    OK then, mysterysinger. There've been some hold-ups on Ace/Kent Motown issues, but finally there's something in the pipeline. The artist[[s) is/are mentioned in this thread. More when - you know the rules!

Tom, do you know that The Monitors' LP [[plus more) is on this Ace cd?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004VV42IK/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Oh yes! Of course, their Say You! ACE album. I don't think any of the those brilliant ACE albums are available in digital format though? Of course the Motown Unreleased are, and so are the Motown Anthology I believe

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    OK then, mysterysinger. There've been some hold-ups on Ace/Kent Motown issues, but finally there's something in the pipeline. The artist[[s) is/are mentioned in this thread. More when - you know the rules!
    Of course - and that's great to know. Thanks Keith.

Guys - the clues are there - narrows it down a lot. The excitement builds - yes/no?
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 01-21-2017 at 07:59 AM.

Looking forward to seeing what Motown product Ace waves their magic wand over this Spring! [[Hopefully?)

AMAZON UK

The Early Motown EPs Volume 2 box set, due for release on 27th January, is priced at £45.72. Have to keep my eye on this to see if it does come up much cheaper before release.

By the way, the Motown Unreleased 1966 download is now priced at £14.19.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 01-22-2017 at 09:36 PM.

Oh yes! Of course, their Say You! ACE album. I don't think any of the those brilliant ACE albums are available in digital format though? Of course the Motown Unreleased are, and so are the Motown Anthology I believe
    Just buy the physical disc, rip them to itunes/ whichever you use, thus it becomes digital, PLUS you get to keep a physical to add to your rack collection of physical CDs.

Ace / Kent CDS, truly has now become a favorite reissue company to me, with my CD collection gradually becoming something handsome to behold, with not just Motown's Fantastic Four, Contours, and Rita Wright, but also Bettye Swann [[The Money Recordings) Maxine Brown [[The Best Of the Wand Years), Chuck Jackson [[I Don't Want To Cry / Any Day Now, Encore / Mr. Everything), Garland Green [[The Very Best Of Garland Green), Baby Washington [[The Sue Singles), Linda Jones [[Precious: The Anthology), Billy Butler [[The Right Tracks: The Complete Okeh Recordings), Freddie Hughes [[Send My Baby Back), plus have ordered Mitty Collier, Sugar Pie DeSanto, Impressions, and the Apollas on the way, as well as a volume of The Birth of Soul. Each one well presented, bursting to the fullest capacities, 24-29 tracks each, A-Sides, B-Sides, album tracks, formely vaulted unissues, intrumental backing tracks, PLUS a fully biographically informative booklet, with rare pictures, complete artist discographies, track-by-track informations behind them, even some "Where Are They Now?" as of the CD's publishing print, to let fans know they are still kickin', at the oldies Northern Soul circuit, that is. They are truly soul-lover's dreams, for those who gives them a chance.

Now, where's, although non-Motown, Barbara Mason, Patti Drew, and Major Lance, KENT SOUL-treated that is, hahaha?

Tom, as Ngroove writes above, if something is available on cd but not as a download, this is not a problem!

I was referring primarily to downloads of music which has never been released on cd. It came out a few years ago that the Motown Hip-O cd releases dried up because sales were not so great; the downloads then became a way for Universal to get out titles at lower cost and risk. For example, the Smokey Robinson solo albums cd series was cancelled, yet the remaining albums which had never been released on cd were digitally mastered and released as downloads [[including as lossless downloads with the same sound quality as a cd). Several other albums also made their digital debuts as downloads in 2014-15, including titles by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The Temptations, The Four Tops, and Mary Wells. But this seems to have stopped.

There is also the issue of archiving the material. Once the music is digitally mastered, it's easy to make many perfect copies of the masters and one can maintain these indefinitely without any degradation. In 2010 the Second Disc did an interview with Harry Weinger and he stated that one of the goals was to archive the albums. Has Universal given up on this goal? There are still many albums - including by artists such as Jr Walker, The Originals, and The Undisputed Truth - which have never been released digitally. [[It's possible that they were digitally mastered and not released, but I doubt it.)

Keith, do you have any insight on this topic that you can share with us?

It looks like we just have to hope that Ace and perhaps some other labels will get these albums out.
    Last edited by calvin; 01-26-2017 at 09:53 AM.

Ah right! I thought you could do that with CDs [[convert them to digital) but had never really tried it. I will have a go... of course I need some CDs first [[and I need the CDs to exist before that - in the case of Junior Walker, The Originals, etc!)

Thanks calvin & Ngroove

Tom, you could start with that Monitors cd I linked above - or any of the Ace Motown releases.

Media Player on your PC should be a me to rip your CD to mp3 and you can save your own cover art if need be.

Tom, it's important to clarify that CD's are, and have always been, considered digital, as are downloads. In fact, if remastered properly, CD's have the potential of being the best-sounding medium available. For some unknown reason, the powers that be are trying to rewrite history by classifying the two mediums as CD versus digital, and the younger folks are believing every word. Take it from those of us who were around when the CD first became available back in the 1980's. It was drummed into us that CD's were a digital format, and that recordings were either analog or digital [[thus, DDD [[digitally recorded), ADD [[analog recording which has been digitally remastered), or AAD [[analog recording which has been transferred to CD without being remastered). No matter whether the recording was DDD, ADD, or AAD, transferring the recording to the CD makes it a digital release. So, actually, most, if not all, of those brilliant recordings you mentioned have indeed been released in "digital" format via CD [[Willie Hutch, The Monitors, etc.) Just wanted to set the record straight.

Oh yes! You're right, sorry. Of course the CD is a digital medium... I think what I meant to say was that none of the ACE albums are available as downloads!

Tom, Ace don't have the right to issue Motown material they license for their CDs as downloads. Universal may release Motown material from Ace CDs as downloads if they want to, but I don't think they have done so yet. However, I think they may start to do it, in a small way, during 2017. You'll read about it here first, of course, if it happens.

Calvin, the LP digitisation programme is not dead, it's only been sleeping. And you'll read more about that here too - quite soon, I hope!

Always love your info Keith, thank you

Oh yes! You're right, sorry. Of course the CD is a digital medium... I think what I meant to say was that none of the ACE albums are available as downloads!
    Oh, it's not just you, Tom. It's the music industry in general [[including Amazon, iTunes, etc.) who are categorizing our music choices between physical [[CD) and "Digital" [[downloads). Thus, everybody blindly follows suit. It may be small peanuts to some, but for a CD lover like me, the incorrect terminology drives me nuts! When it comes to Motown, I've reluctantly caved and given in to the download syndrome, thus burning them to CD via my new external CD burner. Gotta admit, they sound pretty good, but, if I had my druthers, I would still vouch for the "digital" CD version.

Tom, Ace don't have the right to issue Motown material they license for their CDs as downloads. Universal may release Motown material from Ace CDs as downloads if they want to, but I don't think they have done so yet. However, I think they may start to do it, in a small way, during 2017. You'll read about it here first, of course, if it happens.
    Ohh, thank you very much for the info Keith!! And thanks for the heads up... I would love to see [[more) rare and unreleased Motown [[from ACE) see release as downloads

Calvin, the LP digitisation programme is not dead, it's only been sleeping. And you'll read more about that here too - quite soon, I hope!
    OH! Great! Love it
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 01-27-2017 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Oh, it's not just you, Tom. It's the music industry in general [[including Amazon, iTunes, etc.) who are categorizing our music choices between physical [[CD) and "Digital" [[downloads). Thus, everybody blindly follows suit. It may be small peanuts to some, but for a CD lover like me, the incorrect terminology drives me nuts! When it comes to Motown, I've reluctantly caved and given in to the download syndrome, thus burning them to CD via my new external CD burner. Gotta admit, they sound pretty good, but, if I had my druthers, I would still vouch for the "digital" CD version.
    Yes... I have to admit it seems like you know more about this than me, Gary...!! Lol

Great news, thanks for the info Keith!

hmmm January almost over.
    no go go
    r they waiting for DR N MW b days

The Temptations "5 Classic Albums" on spectrum is now available for pre-order on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/5-Classic-A...classic+albums
    There's a review that dates back to 2014! lolol

So now we know - The Temptations 5 Classic Album Set consists of:
    TEMPTATIONS SING SMOKEY
    TEMPTIN' TEMPTATIONS
    GETTIN' READY
    WITH A LOT O' SOUL
    JOIN [[with Diana Ross & The Supremes) [[not Together as I originally wrote)

Seems slightly odd I think but hey - I think well worth the money, and they are the UK album covers with the Tamla Motown logo - fab ....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/5-Classic-A...eywords=MOTOWN
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 01-30-2017 at 08:17 PM.

Looks like the DRATS & Tempts album included is ...Join... as opposed to Together, mysterysinger.

Correct sansradio. Thanks for the correction [[it's my age!).

The Temptatations 5dc set is:Name:  61mnpnw-kxL.jpg
Views: 1515
Size:  68.5 KB