[REMOVE ADS]

Nile Rodgers Reflects on Another Rock Hall Rejection for Chic & His 'Bittersweet' Ind

Inductees were announced this morning and again, nominated Chic was not inducted.

From Billboard:

12/20/2016 by Gary Graff
    Nile Rodgers is "obviously happy, obviously humbled" to be receiving an Award For Musical Excellence at next year's 32nd Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony.

But he's also "perplexed" and "ambivalent."

The honor -- most recently presented to Ringo Starr in 2015 -- comes to Rodgers after his band Chic failed for an 11th time to be voted into the Rock Hall. And the disparity has left him unsure of exactly how to feel about the award.

"I'm more shocked than anybody right now," Rodgers, who's in the midst of mixing a new album for Blondie, tells Billboard. "I'm blown over because I didn't expect to be singled out of Chic. So that's weird right away. It's just weird for me to be picked out of Chic and say, 'Nile, you belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but those other guys...' Of course I am flattered and honored like crazy, but it's sort of bittersweet for me because of all the things I've done that I'm exceptionally proud of, I'm really proud of Chic."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...tion-induction

Quick quiz: Name five songs by Tupac Shakur:

Name five songs by Chic:

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Name five songs by Chic
    Oooh! OK...

"Le Freak"
    "Everybody Dance"
    "Good Times"
    "I Want Your Love"
    "My Forbidden Lover"

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Oooh! OK...

"Le Freak"
    "Everybody Dance"
    "Good Times"
    "I Want Your Love"
    "My Forbidden Lover"
    I would add "Dance, Dance, Dance [[Yowsah, Yowsah)" But where are your Tupac songs?

Marv, I got the point of the quiz. It is easy to name Chic songs, but I couldn't name one Tupac song.

Is there an electoral college that can turn this vote around?

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Marv, I got the point of the quiz. It is easy to name Chic songs, but I couldn't name one Tupac song.

Is there an electoral college that can turn this vote around?
    I just think that this is a perfect example of how some truly deserving artists get shafted time and time again.

True, Tupac was influential, but more in political way, whereas Chic was more influential musically. People cannot name 5 Tupac songs off of the tops of their heads because they did not hear many.

I can name more than five Tupac songs, but I get you. I live 120 miles away from the HoF but I doubt I will ever take a couple of hours to visit it because I hate the politics behind its selections. The criteria for selection is too arbitrary. I hate hall of fame inductions anyway because Nile Rodgers' contributions to rock and popular music dwarfed half the people who were nominated before him, so why was he suddenly determined to be worthy?

I hope they play Chic songs exclusively during his part of the induction ceremony.

This induction of Nile Rodgers is most likely for both his work behind-the-scenes and as a performer. It also means Chic probably won't be considered again for induction.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    This induction of Nile Rodgers is most likely for both his work behind-the-scenes and as a performer. It also means Chic probably won't be considered again for induction.
    While no one outside of Motown had a bassline like Bernard Edwards!!!

Check this out:

I would add "Dance, Dance, Dance [[Yowsah, Yowsah)" But where are your Tupac songs?
    Marv, you got me, hehe
    I barely even know who Tupac is, Lol

He's not being inducted, is he? He's being given an award. That's not to say that neither he nor the band won't be admitted in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    He's not being inducted, is he? He's being given an award. That's not to say that neither he nor the band won't be admitted in the future.
    They call it an award, but it's an induction and they will treat it as such. It originally was the Sidemen category. Chic could be nominated again, but this induction of Nile Rodgers takes a lot away from Chic's chances since he was the foundation of that group. They've been nominated 11 times since 2003. The most nominations of any artists surpassing Solomon Burke who had to get nominated 10 times before he got in. They have a chance to be nominated, but the likelihood is slim especially in the next few years. This could be the last time we see them on the ballot. After awhile the nomination committee tends to give up.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 12-21-2016 at 12:27 AM.

Quick quiz: Name five songs by Tupac Shakur:

Name five songs by Chic:
    2Pac:
    Brenda's Got a Baby
    Holler If Ya Hear Me
    Keep Your Head Up
    Dear Mama
    So Many Tears

Chic:
    Dance, Dance, Dance [[Yowsah! Yowsah! Yowsah!)
    Everybody Dance
    Le Freak
    Good Times
    I Want Your Love

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Nah, it's an induction. There are more ways to get inducted than as a performer. He's getting inducted for musical excellence. If they wanted to lift the Chic burden, get the late Bernard inducted alongside his former partner.