[REMOVE ADS]

The Crystals in Concert

I saw the Crystals this past Saturday, Jan. 8th, in Ocala, FL at the Top of the World
    Communities Theatre. Led by the never-aging and prettier than ever Dee Dee
    Kenniebrew, the original member of the group, they gave an excellent performance.
    They had a large, receptive audience and a GREAT back-up band, Rocky & the
    Rollers, who are actually Florida based.
    Check out the website: www.the crystals.net for their performance schedule.
    They also have a new CD recorded "live" in Singapore.

Top of the World have other great acts coming for their 2011 schedule: Martha
    Reeves, Little Anthony & the Imperials, Tony Orlando, Frankie Avalon, among
    many others.

The Crystals performance included "Da Do Ron Ron", "Then He Kissed Me", "Uptown",
    "He's Sure The Boy I Love", "He's A Rebel", "Rescue Me", "Chapel Of Love" [[a disco-
    style dance version), "Maybe", "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy"/"Do The Hucklebuck",
    "Ain't No Mountain High"/"I'll Be There".
    All three women did leads and their dresses and appearance were very attractive.
    Again, check out their schedule and see them if you can. They usually do a meet
    and greet after every performance. Many people lined-up to purchase their new
    CD, photos, and to have Dee Dee sign collectable items for the '60s.

By the way, Rocky & the Rollers are a great show band. They have a website too. They did a 30-minute set before
    the Crystals' performance. Al Morse, who went to high school with my brother and who has been a friend for many,
    many years, performs with the band doing Cab Calloway's Minnie the Moocher complete with top hat and white
    tux. He then changes and gives great performances of classic songs from the '60s, Saturday's highlight being
    Sam & Dave's "When Something Is Wrong With My Baby".

Great to hear!

I looked for their new CD [[Live in Singapore) on their web page and couldn't find it. I see they have the older one for sale. Were they selling the new one at their show? Wonder if they'll offer it on their web page? Sounded like a nice show.

Yes, the new CD was sold at the show. I'll let Dee Dee know to make it available on her website, which I am sure she
    intends to, but has been so busy lately.

Thanks, Randy. I'll look for it.

Also, due to be released next month, Feb. 22nd, Da Do Ron Ron: the Best of the Crystals by Sony. They will also issue
    collections by the Ronettes and Darlene Love, both who have recently filed suit [[again!) against Phil Spector for
    royalties.

Randy-why the new lawsuit? La La said at girl group reunion a number of years ago she hoped they could do more together. Any chance?

I'm not sure why the Ronettes and Darlene are filing or have filed new suits against Phil. In regard to La La, I am not
    sure what she meant--did she mean working with Dee Dee?

Yes and Barbara as well.

Does anyone know about the forthcoming best of sets from Sony by THE CRYSTALS, RONETTES AND DARLENCE LOVE? Are the sets the same as those issued by ABKCO?

I don't know the track listings for these CDs, but they are not the same as those issued by ABKCO.

i saw the track lists for these sets. The Sony reissues have fewer tracks. Darlene Love's contains That's When the Tears Start & Good , Good Lovin.
    I Can Hear Music is on the Ronettes.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 01-18-2011 at 06:32 PM.

Well, then, the Darlene CD contains material NOT produced by Spector as Good Good Lovin' and That's When The Tears
    Start were on the Reprise label, issued as the Blossoms and produced by Jimmy Bowen.

I Can Hear Music by the Ronettes was on the Philles label, but produced by Jeff Barry. He also produced a version of
    I Wish I Never Saw The Sunshine by them. It has always been rumored that there is a Spector produced version of
    I Can Hear Music.

Furthermore, it has always been rumored that there is a Spector produced version of Lesley Gore's It's My Party by
    the Crystals, featuring La La on lead. Actually I once saw an acetate from Gold Star Studios titled "You Would Cry Too"
    and credited to "Delores Brooks". I do believe he promised La La a solo career.

I did see the track listings for each of the three CDs mentioned above--The Crystals does include their version of
    "Woman In Love [[With You)", which was also recorded and issued by the Ronettes [[on the Phil Spector box set).

Randy, is there a site where we could look at these forthcoming CD's?

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Randy, is there a site where we could look at these forthcoming CD's?
    You can try CD Universe. Sony also had press releases on these discs.

I believe you can go to amazon.com and find them all shown.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    I believe you can go to amazon.com and find them all shown.
    There was also a big discussion on these discs over at the BSN Stereo Chat Forum.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 01-24-2011 at 01:49 PM.