[REMOVE ADS]

Mckinley Jackson Interview - Motown - Invictus and the entire Detroit scene

This is an hour long interview with Mckinley Jackson by Brenda Perryman, who knows her stuff. Covers a lot of ground, and Mckinley has remembered everything. A very modest man with enormous contributions to the music, who is today the musical director for The Temptations

Name checks -
    Dennis Coffey
    Sunliners
    Rare Earth
    Kenneth Rice [[Spider Webb)
    Bob Babbit
    Ray Monette
    Temptations
    David Ruffin
    Funk Brothers
    Ivy Jo Hunter
    Marvin Gaye
    Leon Ware
    Holland Dozier Holland
    Motown
    Invictus
    ABC Dunhill
    Popcorn Wylie
    8th Day
    Glass House
    100 Proof Aged in Soul
    Greg Perry
    HoneyCone
    Paul Riser
    Chairman of the Board

click on The Science of Soul link and scroll down to the interview with Mckinley Jackson.
    http://science-of-soul.blogspot.co.uk

Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 12-12-2016 at 06:32 PM.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  21.1 KB
    Thanks for uploading this. It was very interesting. I didn't know much about what Mckinley Jackson did after leaving Detroit. I didn't know he played on sessions at Motown as early as "Ooo, Baby, Baby".

Robb, how good was that, glad you appreciated it. I wondered if it should have been posted on the Motown page as motown posts attract significantly more viewers than on the soulful forum page. Shame if people don't get to see how rivetting this interview is.

I have always bought anything with Mckinley Jackson as arranger.............. guarantee of quality, whether Motown, Invictus/ Hot Wax or ABC Dunhill....

I am hoping Brenda will follow up with Ivy Jo Hunter and have him on the show, what a treat that would be!!!

Here's another Mckinley interview in which he reveals he is working with Ken Knox of Chairman Of The Board on new material. Also features the Steals Brothers who wrote some huge hits..... Interesting opinions they have on the UK appreciation of soul music.

Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 12-13-2016 at 11:00 AM.

Thanks for this excellent post.
    Some great memories recalled by McKinley.
    Good to see US artists praise the UK support of Soul Music....the Steals and McKinley get it...

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    This is an hour long interview with Mckinley Jackson by Brenda Perryman, who knows her stuff. Covers a lot of ground, and Mckinley has remembered everything. A very modest man with enormous contributions to the music, who is today the musical director for The Temptations

Name checks -
    Dennis Coffey
    Sunliners
    Rare Earth
    Kenneth Rice [[Spider Webb)
    Bob Babbit
    Ray Monette
    Temptations
    David Ruffin
    Funk Brothers
    Ivy Jo Hunter
    Marvin Gaye
    Leon Ware
    Holland Dozier Holland
    Motown
    Invictus
    ABC Dunhill
    Popcorn Wylie
    8th Day
    Glass House
    100 Proof Aged in Soul
    Greg Perry
    HoneyCone
    Paul Riser
    Chairman of the Board

click on The Science of Soul link and scroll down to the interview with Mckinley Jackson.
    http://science-of-soul.blogspot.co.uk

Echo the thanks for this. What an intelligent, interesting man McKinley is. One question: where are the trombones on Ooo Baby Baby? I don't doubt McKinley's word, as he seems spot on with his memories.

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Echo the thanks for this. What an intelligent, interesting man McKinley is. One question: where are the trombones on Ooo Baby Baby? I don't doubt McKinley's word, as he seems spot on with his memories.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  21.1 KB
    That was a great, informative interview. McKinley was right in the middle of what was going on in Detroit's music scene at an early age, and wrote songs, played on sessions, arranged and produced working with all the major movers from the mid '60s and '70s in Detroit, through the '80s and '90s to now, all over the country. He worked with Motown, Ed Wingate, Solid Hitbound, Don Davis, Armen Boladian, H-D-H, and all the major movers, later including major national media stars. I know he was playing on a lot of sessions at Motown in 1966-67, and aa few in 1965. So, I see no reason to doubt his memory that he played on "OOO Baby, Baby". All the backgrounds from 1965 on had such a blending of instruments that it isn't so easy to isolate on those that are not upfront in the mix.